Is there a way to have my Torch automatically connect to my home Wifi? I have set it up with my home wifi is my only saved network. I want the phone to disconnect when this network is out of range and not look for another network. When my home network is in range, I want it to connect. Is this possible?
    01-17-12 06:08 PM
    you can get a util like SmartWifi, that will use cell tower location to turn wifi off when not near your home, and then when you are close turn it back on and auto connect.

But if you only have the one passworded network saved it will not connect to any other networks. and auto connect to your home network when within range.
    01-17-12 06:30 PM
    There is an app called wifi manager that can do this

But if you havent set it up to connect to any other networks, does it matter?

I'm pretty certain the phone will only look for other networks when you are trying to add a new one?
    01-17-12 06:31 PM
    As soon as you turn your wifi on it should automatically connect to it. Hope you're not thinking about keeping your wifi on all the time. Just going to kill your battery.
    01-17-12 06:34 PM
    I keep my WiFi always on. It does not kill my battery at all.
    Onna808 likes this.
    01-17-12 06:43 PM
    Mine automatically connects to my home wifi when in range without the use of an app.
    01-17-12 06:46 PM
    Doesn't affect my battery none either.
    01-17-12 06:47 PM
    Thank you for your helpful responses. Follow up questioan- what happens when the phone goes out of range? Revert back or continue to search for a wifi network?
    01-17-12 06:59 PM
    . . . But if you havent set it up to connect to any other networks, does it matter?

I'm pretty certain the phone will only look for other networks when you are trying to add a new one?
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. Just like a wireless card on a PC. The networks will show up but not connect unless intentionally previously connected.

Mine automatically connects to my home wifi when in range without the use of an app.
    Same here.

. . . what happens when the phone goes out of range? Revert back or continue to search for a wifi network?
    If there's no wifi signal and/or none that has already been accessed as described above and if the network is enabled it should go back to the network until a "familiar" network is present. I have walked down a few city blocks with numerous open wifi connections that showed up on the list when both wifi and the network were enabled and the phone never automatically connected to a wifi signal. I've always assumed that you have to intentionally connect to a wifi connection, at least for the first time.
    01-17-12 07:30 PM
    That's the beauty of a BlackBerry. It won't arbitrarily connect to a wifi network. It has to be a network that you have connected to previously. Any previously connected networks are saved and "assumed" to have been trusted by you and will be connected to automatically when in range.
    01-18-12 09:09 AM
    does anyone have trouble connecting to wifi now with the new update? I can connect my ipad, ipod, and computer but not my playbook or bb... I used to be able to do that but no longer
    01-18-12 10:26 AM
    On my BB 9850, I installed Wi-Fi Manager. When out of Wi-Fi range, it turns wi-fi discovery off. When in range, discovery is turned back on. Downloaded from App World.

I'm using 7.1 and it works very well.
    Onna808 likes this.
    01-18-12 10:32 AM
    On my BB 9850, I installed Wi-Fi Manager. When out of Wi-Fi range, it turns wi-fi discovery off. When in range, discovery is turned back on. Downloaded from App World.

I'm using 7.1 and it works very well.
    In other words, wifi discovery is always on. Otherwise, how does it know if it's in and out of range?
    01-18-12 01:14 PM
    does anyone have trouble connecting to wifi now with the new update? I can connect my ipad, ipod, and computer but not my playbook or bb... I used to be able to do that but no longer
    I was having problems, too. Turns out there apparently was a change to Bridge with the last update. You need to unpair your BB and PB and uninstall/reinstall Bridge on your BB. When you go to re-pair your BB and PB, you will have to input a code generated by your PB into your BB. Never had to do that before.

Once I did that, my wifi issues went away. For a while my PB would just drop its wifi connection and/or not connect to my router at all. After many annoying reboots of my PB and my BB, I finally figured that out. Everything's been rosy since.
    01-18-12 01:19 PM
    In other words, wifi discovery is always on. Otherwise, how does it know if it's in and out of range?
    It uses cell tower proximity to determine if it is in range of your home network, or which ever network you OKed. When you set it up, it detects what cell tower is closest and remembers it.
    If your in range it then turns on WiFi, if not it turns it off.
    01-18-12 01:47 PM
    Ah, I see.
    01-18-12 03:47 PM
    Mine connects w/any of my saved network. If you save it to Starbucks, you'll automatically connect to a lot of other businesses bc they save their network as att. lol
    01-18-12 04:14 PM
    I'm another one that leaves it on , my battery life is unaffected
    01-18-12 07:07 PM
    do one of these wifi tools notify you if there is an "open" wifi network? I'd like to be notified somehow.
    01-18-12 07:14 PM
    The cost to battery by having wifi manager app to turn the wifi on/off is most likely be on par with leaving the wifi on all the time. This is because most wifi manager app constantly refreshes itself on background every now and then to check whether there is a saved cell tower nearby and switch the wifi accordingly. Every refresh consumes a little battery life.
    01-19-12 04:47 AM
    I tend to leave my wifi on inadvertently from time to time and the affect on my battery life is negligible at worst and practically unnoticeable at best.
    01-19-12 08:45 AM
    I have noticed several posters in this thread that display models in their profiles other than the 9850/60. Is it possible that you don't have the same interface or feature set as the 9850/60? IF so and unless you may be planning on getting a 9850/60 and just want to know what to expect, why are you posting your issues about a different phone model in this forum featuring phones that may not have the same feature set? The reason I ask is that several people, including myself, have mentioned that the 9850/60 already lists open and secure networks and auto connects/disconnects from the network without the need for other applications to do it.

When using wifi, I have noticed more battery usage but nothing significant.
    Last edited by BlackBerryMagnet; 01-19-12 at 12:10 PM.
    01-19-12 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD