Are there ANY good applications out that allow you to view topo maps on your blackberry? I guess one could navigate to topozone.com or something similar, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of my internal GPS and be able to see nice topo maps. Seems like this would be an easy add-on for Google Maps.
    06-04-08 06:39 PM
    I don't know where to get them. But that will be nice to have.
    06-04-08 06:43 PM
    I went to their support forum and placed that in a request for Google's mobile mapping for the BB. That was a few weeks ago.
    06-04-08 08:12 PM
    trekbuddy works well with memory map or ozi maps
    07-06-08 01:04 PM
    spot is supporting the worldfile format so you can import technically any kind of map into it. unfortunately, it is pretty hard to use but it works
    07-07-08 02:09 AM
    Are there ANY good applications out that allow you to view topo maps on your blackberry? I guess one could navigate to topozone.com or something similar, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of my internal GPS and be able to see nice topo maps. Seems like this would be an easy add-on for Google Maps.
    Perhaps you have seen it already, but TopoExplorer for BlackBerry is now available for free.
    04-21-09 11:35 PM
    Perhaps you have seen it already, but TopoExplorer for BlackBerry is now available for free.
    Looks like the app is free, the maps are $49 per state
    04-22-09 09:16 PM
    topo explorer is pretty much crap, not worth the price of the maps either. give me a paper map any day over this.
    04-22-09 10:24 PM
    I downloaded the free program and the two free maps. Whenever I opened the program, it would take me off the coast of Africa to coordinates 0,0. I contacted support about this problem and was assured that it would work on my Verizon Storm. Support was very quick in responding.. until I purchased the maps of New York State. The program still takes me to 0,0. I wrote support. No response. I wrote support again. No response. I am still waiting for a response from support but do not anticipate hearing back from them anymore. They received their money and I received 4 GB of useless files.

I am using TopoExplorer version 1.0.77 and noticed version 1.0.72.0 at the BlackBerry app store. I tried the other version with the same results. The phone has the latest operating system authorized by Verizon as of 6-3-09 (v4.7.0.148 platform 4.0.0.181). Google Maps, BlackBerry Maps, and Nav4all work great using the GPS. I checked the coordinates from Nav4all against my handheld GPS and found them to be the same. I wanted to make sure the coordinates were not coming from cell towers. So, the GPS works fine in three programs, but not in TopoExplorer. Sounds like a glitch on their end, not on mine. I can open a map manually (from the Maps folder), but as soon as I press down on the screen, it goes to 0,0. Hello, I do not boat in the area. I cannot load the optimum map since my maps are not from the Atlantic Ocean.

If this problem is fixed and the program works as advertised, I will gladly let everyone know and upgrade my rating. It is advertised as being compatible with the Storm, but I dont think so. Verizon does not lock the GPS on the Storm like they did with other phones. If anyone has this program working on their Storm, please e-mail me at (smallengrep@yahoo.com) and let me know how you did it.
    06-05-09 10:07 AM
    I have topo explorer on my pearl 8120, and like eveyone has said, it is virtually worthless. When I try to load "optimal map", it loads the map set next to where I actually am, unless I am right in the middle of a map set. There is no way to load a map set to any side of the one loaded whithout searching through the thousand plus map sets one at a time. And when I do finally get the right map loaded, the GPS locator has me 1/4 to 1/2 mile off of where I actually am. This same GPS locater is accurate within a few feet with any other application I use it with.

DO NOT BUY TOPO EXPORER !!! Until or unless the address these problems.
    06-10-09 03:22 PM
    Anyone know if these problems have been fixed? I'm looking for a decent Topo app for my Tour.
    09-08-09 09:59 AM
    I am now using MGMaps. It can be used with many different types of maps. I use it with google terrain maps. No data plan needed and completely FREE. If you want details and tips, look for other threads, or email me.
    11-06-09 05:07 PM
    I am now using MGMaps. It can be used with many different types of maps. I use it with google terrain maps. No data plan needed and completely FREE. If you want details and tips, look for other threads, or email me.
    I have/had it on my phone, opened it once and after closing it, it disappeared. I checked hidden and unhidden icons, etc, but the icon is gone.
    It shows in the application lists, so its defineltlely there.
    Anyone have an idea where it may be?
    Thanks
    11-08-09 09:06 PM
    Oh, wait, I seem to remember that GoogleMaps can do something to MGMaps - like remove it or hide or disable it. This is from a while ago so memory being what it ISN'T, I don't recall the details.
    11-09-09 11:08 AM
    I've been trying out Toposports since last few weeks. Its been working great for me. I tried posting the link for it but it doesn't let me. Just google it.

I was pleasantly surprised to get the free Canada upgrade this morning.
    09-25-10 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD