I know I'm probably in the tiny minority of people who use their BB phones in the following fashion, but I need to vent. I use my BlackBerry in an internet-based auto parts warehouse for two functions: Taking photos of parts and editing web-based inventory records of said parts.

I take thousands of photos a month and upload them to our on-line storefront. Subsequently while checking stock on a shelf, I use a 4-year old BB Bold 9700 to both take the photos and to open their HTML inventory records to update quantities or adjust SKU numbers.

The photos are indoor and outdoor, mostly close-up. As I take photos, I need to rename them to a specific name (usually a product SKU) in real time and then upload them to our hosted system. Taking 20 pictures, then walking across the warehouse, connecting to a PC, changing files names after the fact doesn't work. My BB does the function of a PC and camera in one.

The Bold 9700 has a GREAT combination of camera and web browsing functions:

- Auto focus
    - Close-up functions (The test: can you take a crisp close-up of a coin?)
    - Zoom (Good zoom)
    - Flash controls (A. Flash is present. B. On / Off / Auto)
    - Resolution controls (I can default to 600x800 for efficient web-sized photos or 3M for shots requriing more resolution)
    - Simple photo rename functions (one click and I can rename the photo on the spot)
    - WiFi (works so good we have several 9700s with no SIM card for similar warehouse use)
    - Decent color and crispness
    - Browser that displays all of my hosted software solution's pages correctly, great for inventory record searching and updates.
    - File browser function that's easy to use.

I can snap a close-up photo of an item, instantly rename it to the SKU number, and instantly upload it via WiFI to our system. Then while standing in front of the bin, I can search my system for the SKU in the browser, and correct inventory counts as well.

My only complaints with the 9700 involve the size of the browsing screen, text entry using tiny buttons is tedious, minor white balance issues, and the speed of auto-focus (a little slow, you need a steady hand if in low light).

Flash forward 3 years. It now seems that since the 9700, as touch-screen and web nav is greatly improved, nearly all advanced camera functions have been gutted from subsequent BBs!

I received a Torch upgrade after the USB port in one of my 9700s croaked, and I was so excited to get a wide touch screen with improved browser, but imagine my disappointment when nearly all of my favorite camera functions had been eliminated, to the point I sent the Torch back, and bought another 9700 at a thrift store.

So after kicking it for a year or more with my little 9700s, I decided this week to try out a Playbook. Of course, there's nothing anywhere that lists camera features, so after buying one and playing with it for a couple hours, guess what? The camera functions are more limited than that of the Torch! But the browser is great, and I can take 1080 HD video... ...W.T.F...?

I'll be returning the Playbook too.

There are a lot of internet retailers who need a solution similar to what is described above. A portable web browser with embedded high-res camera with resolution/renaming capabilities, and basic file management. Having found most of what I wanted with the 9700, I now can't get any better than this with BB.

I guess I'll be shopping for other solutions...

Does anyone else use their BBs in a remotely similar fashion?
    Last edited by Mad.Matt; 02-05-12 at 04:45 PM.
    02-05-12 04:33 PM
    Which Torch were you using? I have the Torch 9850. I just took the list you gave and was able to take an excellent photo of my wedding band that has a couple of mounted diamonds. And the camera app and browser appear to have all the features you listed. Not sure about video on the PlayBook but OS 2.0 will be out in about 2 weeks and you should check out the new video app. There is a new TV show featuring video from the PB so it works.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-05-12 05:32 PM
    The reason for you trouble is because the camera don't have auto focus on the PB, but the 9790, torch( slider+ full touch) has an 5MP auto focus camera. The 9790 camera don't shoot HD video, that's it
    02-05-12 06:28 PM
    PS, I use my 9650 camera to take snap shot of my note book for obvious reason
    02-05-12 06:30 PM
    Maybe the playbook camera will get a good upgrade with OS2. Lack of autofocus could be a software issue.

On BlackBerry's website the how to video for playbook picture taking shows a close-up setting

The Torch 9810 has a good camera with many settings.
    02-05-12 06:45 PM
    Ok, well I just tested on my torch 9860, and I was able to rename the file after I took the picture. All you do is take the picture, then it it shows you the preview, click the blackberry button next to the talk key and pick "rename" from the pop up menu. Also the camera on the torch has auto focus and flash. You also get the following resolution settings, 2560x1920, 1024x768, and 640x480. The pictures it takes are very crisp, I use it to take pictures of labels and need to be able to read the text afterwards and it does a great job of showing the text crisp and clear.

The only thing I'm not sure it does is the web browsing thing that you do, though i don't seee why it wouldn't, the new browser on the torch smokes the old browser. You really should have given more time to learn it, or at least asked here. What's odd is that those functions you mentioned (renaming the file, auto focus, flash controls, resolution controls) are all front and center and require no digging to find, and they are accessed similarly to what you have on your bold 9700. Are you sure you had a blackberry torch and not confusing it with something else?

Edit: I just took, renamed and uploaded the attatched pictures right from my torch, it seems to do what you said it didn't.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 02-05-12 at 11:16 PM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-05-12 10:55 PM
    The PlayBook and the 9900/9930 have EDoF cameras instead of Auto-Focus. Each type of camera has its plusses and minuses. The main shortcoming of the EDoF camera is that it has trouble with things closer than a meter. Try holding the camera farther away and using the zoom to bring it in closer. In most other situations, you'll get better results with the EDoF lens. The quality can be improved but Auto-focus cannot be added.

EDoF versus Auto-focus: Understanding the compromises involved
    02-05-12 11:20 PM
    LMAO, 4 year old Bold 9700? the 9700 came out a little over 2 years ago, Autumn 2009.
    02-06-12 03:09 AM
    Is this a hit & run by the OP? I have a Torch 9810 and before that a 9800. I can't think of a single camera feature that is not on the Torch that is on earlier phones.

Matt, can you please be specific about what the Torch doesn't have in terms of features?
    02-06-12 08:27 AM
    The PlayBook and the 9900/9930 have EDoF cameras instead of Auto-Focus. Each type of camera has its plusses and minuses. The main shortcoming of the EDoF camera is that it has trouble with things closer than a meter. Try holding the camera farther away and using the zoom to bring it in closer. In most other situations, you'll get better results with the EDoF lens. The quality can be improved but Auto-focus cannot be added.

I used a tape measure and the distance where the lens focuses is a little more than 16 inches. Where are you getting 3 meters from?
    02-06-12 08:53 AM

Thanks for the link.

This is a case where the BB phone and playbook complement each other. My Torch 9800 takes the close-up shots and the playbook takes the other shots and videos.

The playbook still needs the ability to take crisp close-up shots
    02-06-12 08:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD