12-10-11 04:32 PM
28 12
tools
    Barring some form of accounting fraud, I think RIM is a safe bet. There have been several very large purchases made over the last few months by different investment banks. The value of patents has been demonstrated recently as well. Long dead Nortel sold patents to Apple, Microsoft, Sony, and RIM this summer for $4.5 billion. Many believe RIM is trading below book value now.

I guess only time will tell how those of us who are long fare versus those of you who have gone short.
    12-09-11 08:03 PM
    Not enough shares to make a difference either way. It is a value trade for sure. Value and tech never go hand in hand though.
    Takeover will never happen from a US company because the canadian govt will block it. Canada govt won't let a takeover happen unless it will beneficially help the country
    Same reason the takeover of potash by monsanto was blocked.

what is a tax free savings account? Not good to buy stock in losing companies for anyone that has a roth ira either, can't take a tax loss.

Have some extra cash ready and average down in rimm when it gets cheaper. Marekt is extremely overbought and this Christmas rally has no legs. Only trading on the gimmick of Europe's problems and the pig FED's continual printing of money with no backing.
    I'd say that if RIM gets a takeover offer that there's considerably less chance of our Feds blocking it than you might think.

There's a huge difference between RIM and Potash Corp. Potash Corp. can continue comfortably on its own, and remain viable. In RIM's case, if our government were to stop a sale, there's a good chance the company would collapse shortly afterward.

The Potash takeover would have theoretically given greater foreign control to a Canadian natural resource as well (I say "theoretically" since Potash Corp already has substantial foreign ownership).

Sadly, I think takeover is the most likely scenario for me to profit from my buy, but it's not the only one. I like to root for the underdog

(And, yes, I think our TFSAs are like American ROTH IRAs)
    12-10-11 03:26 PM
    Bought stock in RIMM. Expecting a big year for my company, with the rise of QNX OS2 and BB10. The hardware is top drawer and the OS and app quality and quantity are on the rise. They remain profitable and have a massive install base and remain very strong on the security side and the corporate systems for device and data control. There will continue to be demand and growth. Yes, I am betting on it.
    12-10-11 04:32 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD