We were out camping this weekend and my blackberry had a bit of a beer bath Saturday. We immediately took the battery out and let it dry off. The phone seems to be working ok, minus a few things. I can see liquid behind the screen, my power off button as well as the letter p key dont work and it will sometimes just randomly shut off.
    My question is since it's been a couple of days, am I still safe to rinse it in distilled water and let it dry out a few days? I'm nervous about taking it apart and I'm not due for an upgrade till July and I JUST bought this 2 weeks ago. I'd like to try and save it if possible.
    Thanks
    04-05-10 12:15 PM
    you need to use RO water if anything, distilled Water still has contaminates in it. But i really don't recommend doing that either.

and the problem comes from the water or in your case beer, from shorting stuff out on the phone. If that is the case rinsing it with RO water will do nothing @ all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-10 12:27 PM
    Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it... Liquid is most likely the root of the problem, so adding more liquid probably won't solve the problem that it originally caused.
    04-05-10 12:31 PM
    That sucks No insurance? I would try rinsing it out. Before you do, make sure it sits for 24hrs with the battery out so it can dissipate any charge still on the circuit. After rinsing, put the back cover on and leave it in a sealed ziplock with uncooked rice (silica packets would be great) and don't touch it for as long as you can take it

04-05-10 12:32 PM
    I have my old Pearl I can use if I eff this one up...I just really want to try to fix it. Someone said because it was beer, i need to rinse it because of the sticky residue. What is RO water?
    04-05-10 12:37 PM
    Reverse Osmosis I suggest if your going to do that then you dip in Isop Alcohol and then let is sit of a few days.
    04-05-10 12:41 PM
    Is it too late to stick it in rice 2 days after it happened?
    04-05-10 12:44 PM
    Yes rice will only pull out the moisture.
    04-05-10 12:47 PM
    If you are die hard about doing this, take 3 - 4 UBER CLEAN GLASS bowls of RO water and dip the phone, minus the battery, in each one of them 1 time, then let the phone set in rice for a few days.... but you can only dip the phone once per bowl as you are contaminating (sp?) it each time you dunk it.

04-05-10 12:48 PM
    If you've booted it up, YES it is too late to stop any electrical damage, BUT throwing it in the rice will remove the water from behind your screen
    04-05-10 12:49 PM
    So would the letter P key and my power down key be electrical damage or could it be just sticky due to dried up beer?
    Thats what I'm hoping the RO will fix, everything else seems to be working like normal.
    04-05-10 12:57 PM
    Could be damaged, the impurities can carry electric charge to wrong parts of the device, causing it to become damaged. "fried"
    04-05-10 01:01 PM
    I would say Try the RO water, and Rice.
    04-05-10 02:12 PM
    If it was my phone...I wouldn't use any kind of water. Go with 91% isopropyl alcohol. You can get it at walmart. Alcohol is used to clean electronics all the time. Plus, it displaces water, so if you submerge it in a bowl for a few hours, it should push any left over water/beer out. Agitate it every 30 minutes or so, then drop in a rice bowl for 24 hours.
    04-05-10 02:31 PM
    So you're saying she damaged it by alcohol but she can also fix it by alcohol?

Alcohol- the wonder beverage!
    04-05-10 02:37 PM
    If it was my phone...I wouldn't use any kind of water. Go with 91% isopropyl alcohol. You can get it at walmart. Alcohol is used to clean electronics all the time. Plus, it displaces water, so if you submerge it in a bowl for a few hours, it should push any left over water/beer out. Agitate it every 30 minutes or so, then drop in a rice bowl for 24 hours.
    So you're saying she damaged it by alcohol but she can also fix it by alcohol?

Alcohol- the wonder beverage!
    You need pure alcohol, 91% is probably the best she'll be able to find, but the closer to 100% the better. Definately NOT the drinking kind. But it's probably too late.
    04-05-10 02:45 PM
    Unfortunately, everclear (pure ethanol) isn't available in Canada (outside of medical/scientific wholesalers.)

Methyl hydrate (99.9% methanol) will work and is available in the paint section of your local Rona, Home Depot or paint store. High-test isopropyl alcohol will work also, and you'll find that at the drug store. Alcohol will also help to dissolve the residue from the Kokanee or Pil you spilled on your BB.

I would carefully take the unit apart though, and clean each assembly seperately.

Remember that water, even purified, distilled or other, can cause corrosion if not completely removed from the device; this process can happen quickly.
    Last edited by EnoughIsEnough; 04-05-10 at 06:50 PM.
    04-05-10 06:48 PM
    WTH do you want to wash it for? You have the ultimate bb cause it smells like BEER!!!! Hopefully Guinness!

Seriously though, someone should make a scent app.
    04-05-10 07:44 PM
    LOL... the LAST thing I would want is the smell of stale old beer every time I had the thing to my ear!
    04-05-10 10:34 PM
    you need to use RO water if anything, distilled Water still has contaminates in it. But i really don't recommend doing that either.
    distilled water has contaminates in it!!!???? amazing
    04-05-10 10:39 PM
    You might try some electrical circuit board cleaner. It's made for electric circuit boards.
    04-05-10 10:44 PM
    distilled water has contaminates in it!!!???? amazing
    Yes, do your research, it's black and white on so many source of information.

04-06-10 08:04 AM
    My dad dropped his bold in a cup of juice. Tried to dry it out and everything, and when I did get it to turn on , his a key didn't work and the trackball wouldn't select anything. Then the unit just cut off and wouldn't come back on. I let it sit for a few weeks. Came back to it and it actually turned on...and everything worked just fine.

04-06-10 09:09 AM
    You might try some electrical circuit board cleaner. It's made for electric circuit boards.
    Contact cleaner would work fine, but would be more difficult to find than alcohol. Perhaps an electronics/computer store? Or an automotive parts store like NAPA might carry it...

The stuff is harsher than alcohol as well; I believe it has benzene or xylene or something of that nature in it.
    04-06-10 09:25 AM
    I'm wondering if it's easier just to send to Rogers and pay whatever to have it fixed
    Yesterday night all it kept doing was resetting itself over and over and over again, even while sitting on a flat surface. I'm not sure rinsing it would even do much good at this point.
    04-06-10 09:42 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD