What do you guys think? Its really interesting to wait and see how well BB10 will be received by consumers in Q1 of 2013

http://classic.cnbc.com/id/100343310
    12-29-12 01:17 AM
    There are thousands of posts here that will clearly tell you what most CBers believe. You just have to read. You could use your first post to add to the disscussion.
    I think most people here are tired of the question you pose.
    12-29-12 01:24 AM
    It's never too late when it's just the beginning...

#BB10Believe
    HUNTZODIAC and BergerKing like this.
    12-29-12 01:55 AM
    Too late for what? Too late for BB10 to get #1 spot? Probably.. well actually, it most likely is too late for that.

BUT it's not too late to grab the #3 spot and make a sizable dent in iOS/Androids market share.

Don't get me wrong, I love BlackBerry and I wish it was #1 right now but despite the improvements made in BlackBerry 10, it is still not the device that can grab the #1 spot. BlackBerry needs something that no other mobile device even comes close to providing AND it has to be something that an average Joe can say "Oh I wish I had that!"
    12-29-12 02:05 AM
    It's never too late. If BB10 proves to be an amazing product and is well received, people will buy it. Brand loyalty is not what it used to be. If there is a better product out there, people will buy it.
    12-29-12 07:05 AM
    Too late for what? Too late for BB10 to get #1 spot? Probably.. well actually, it most likely is too late for that.

BUT it's not too late to grab the #3 spot and make a sizable dent in iOS/Androids market share.

Don't get me wrong, I love BlackBerry and I wish it was #1 right now but despite the improvements made in BlackBerry 10, it is still not the device that can grab the #1 spot. BlackBerry needs something that no other mobile device even comes close to providing AND it has to be something that an average Joe can say "Oh I wish I had that!"
    its never to late even to grab the number one spot, it might take a while but it could happen, look what happened to Sony, number one in TVs, number one in stereos, number one in gaming consols,number one in personal music players, it tooks some time but thats no longer the case, even with gaming consols nintendo and MS have done a good job taking life away from the PS3, i mean i personally have all three and until my GPU on my xbox failed i was playing it way more and i do like my Wii the most of the three
    donmateo and Jake Storm like this.
    12-29-12 09:09 AM
    So much for the bull that "no-one buys phones during Christmas - they only buy when their contract is up" defence of RIM not releasing in time for the holiday season.
    The article shows that missing the holiday season hurts.
    12-29-12 09:55 AM
    So much for the bull that "no-one buys phones during Christmas - they only buy when their contract is up" defence of RIM not releasing in time for the holiday season.
    Nobody ever said "no one ever buys" during the season..... Just that it's not the only time of year. Yes, there was an influx of buying but what the sentiment was, is that purchases happen throughout the year. Of course Christmas shopping is the busiest time of year, but not the only time of year.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-29-12 10:07 AM
    Why would it be to late? The folks that say this truly do not understand how fragmented DROID is and how close to the wall iOS is. All you need to ask is how real is the future of true mobile computing and can the current OS's get there and still maintain their current economic systems?

I think we can recognize that BB10 can or at the very least move that way...... So the question to ask is, who is to late?
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-29-12 10:30 AM
    So what should everybody do? Just drop development of new systems? Are we now tied forever to Android and iOS? I simply don't accept this. The smartphone market is still rather small and growing fast.Just a few years ago, the market was dominated by Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Symbian and maybe some WebOS. Why should've anybody tried something new in the first place back then? I remember back a few years, people more or less laughed about the first Android phone(s), even the first two iPhones weren't actually taken seriously in any way. We all know where they are today.

Of course the whole market changed, however I simply don't think, even more I simply hope for us consumers sake that RIM is "too late" to the party.
    12-29-12 10:38 AM
    Was it too late for Hyundai to start making good cars? After all, Honda and Toyota had a stranglehold of the reliable/affordable car market. Surely there was no way a third car company could edge its way in. After all, people had already bought Civics and Corolla's and would never buy another new car again, and if they did, they would never stray from Toyota and Honda.

Cars are far more expensive then the throw away toys we call smartphones.. If there is room for multiple automakers, I believe there is room for multiple smartphone OS's.
    12-29-12 10:44 AM
    This is a platform built for the next decade. Missing one season is going to mean nothing over the long run if the launch is successful.
    12-29-12 10:53 AM
    I don't think anybody who posted in this thread read the article referred to by the OP. He's questioning how BB10 will be received in light of the fact that a record number of devices were activated in the month of December, including a record 17.4 million on Christmas day, which is 2.5X more than the year before. He's basically saying people looking to buy smartphones have already bought them.
    12-29-12 10:56 AM
    I don't think anybody who posted in this thread read the article referred to by the OP. He's questioning how BB10 will be received in light of the fact that a record number of devices were activated in the month of December, including a record 17.4 million on Christmas day, which is 2.5X more than the year before. He's basically saying people looking to buy smartphones have already bought them.
    Also an average of four million a day for the month of December before Christmas.
    12-29-12 11:00 AM
    Unless there is a company that sold a smatphone this Christmas that will last a lifetime, then it is not too late. My brother switched phones about three times one year trying to find one he liked. They did miss out on sales over Christmas but that number is a small percentage of what sold over Christmas. How many diehard ios and Android fans to you thing would switch to a BlackBerry the day it comes out? Not a lot. They would have had to be out in the summer so then could see how things were going first. If you ask most of them, they will tell you that RIM is in a pine box with a few shovel full of dirt on top of them. Some will make the switch but not a lot. My guess would be that at least 80% of consumers that were waiting for BB10 to release are still waiting.

It is never too late to be number one. But RIM isn't even going for number one right now. They don't need number one to stay in business.

One thing about the Christmas sales. They are followed by big return days as well. That is a lot of gift phones. People may or may not be happy with what they have a week later.

James
    12-29-12 11:05 AM
    Doing a quick search shows that there is 1 billion smart phone users and that number is growing. So that means that there are still a few users out there that will be needed a new phone over the next little while.

James
    12-29-12 11:10 AM
    Doing a quick search shows that there is 1 billion smart phone users and that number is growing. So that means that there are still a few users out there that will be needed a new phone over the next little while.

James
    one question i will as is how many of those 1 billion have multiple smartphones, one for work and one for personal
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-29-12 11:21 AM
    Nice catch. But considering the size and the growth rate of smart phone market, a burst of Q4 sales number is just going to be a small wave comparing what's to come. Was it late in short term? Yes. Is it going to be late in long term? I doubt it.
    12-29-12 11:42 AM
    Judging the success of BlackBerry 10 is going take a few years. It appears to me from what I've read online and comments others have made to me in person,that some will not judge it a success unless RIM can regain their previous #1 status overnight. Realistically, that's not going to happen.

Short term success will be defined by their ability to stem the bleeding - have current consumer and enterprise BlackBerry users make BB10 their next device and stop them from jumping ship to a competitor. Mid to long term success will be to regain some of those they've lost. I believe overall success will be RIM's ability to stop their slide and solidify the #3 spot in the next few years. They can grow again once that's done.
    Desktoper, jakie55 and Flexin like this.
    12-29-12 11:44 AM
    I really cant wait for the QWERTY BB10... My 9900 is starting to act on me
    12-29-12 12:09 PM
    Yes, it is late.
    But on the bright side Blackberry fans will buy the BB10, and me as an Android user, I have to said it looks really good and innovating, the design is really amazing, and rhe compatibility with android apps will be the feature that will increase popularity

Send from my Mouth using my Brain
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-29-12 12:40 PM
    I agree.

Taking the top spot IS possible but it will not happen over night. To me, success is being profitable. They need to pick up new uses but they also need to keep as many of their current customers as possible. That right there is a good size market for BB10.

I have met owners if iphones and Android phones that are not in tied to that phone. It just happens to be the best for them at the time as far as apps, price or look when they went for a new phone. So there are people out there that they have a chance to convert, they just need to have a product they want.

James
    12-29-12 12:48 PM
    It's never too late when it's just the beginning...

#BB10Believe
    I agree, its never too late. BB10 is a new beginning. Whether it is going to be a success or not, only time will tell, but I choose to buy a Z10 and enjoying it as long as RIM is alive and kicking.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    12-29-12 01:45 PM
    Nobody said that and if you look at the numbers, it is simply that while it is a very busy time it is not the only time people buy a phone due to them having contracts. It was a big deal for them to miss Christmas, but it would have been a bigger deal for them to rush to try and make Christmas if they were not ready to do so and it is better that we now have a new holiday of BB10mas to look forward to at the end of January.
    12-29-12 03:06 PM
    Is it too late for Apple TV?
    12-29-12 03:13 PM
42 12