Ok so a few days ago I dropped my BB in the toilet. It was in the water for maybe a second before I immediately took it out, removed the battery and put it in some rice. I tried firing it up today (it was in the rice for 2 days) and everything was working fine except for a few keys on the key pad so I took the battery out again and put it back in some rice.
    My question is, should I leave it in the rice for a few more days or should I take it completely apart and spray it with some electronic cleaner/alcohol of some sort? OR is it completely bunged up because I tried turning in on too soon?
    Thanks
    05-04-11 11:59 AM
    The rice trick is the best. Make sure your BB and battery are separated and fully covered and in an air-tight baggie with all the air removed. I've seen several come back to full operation in similar situations. Hopefully it was clear water...
    radshark likes this.
    05-04-11 12:44 PM
    For best results, don't drop it in the toilet.
    05-04-11 01:00 PM
    Awesome thanks!! Ill leave it in the rice for a few more days then and see what happens.
    And yeah, it was clear water thankfully haha
    05-04-11 01:02 PM
    Man who drop smartphone in toilet have brownberry...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    05-04-11 01:05 PM
    Had a friend who dropped her 9700 in the toilet, used cool air to blowdry it out, let it rest for a day, blow dried again from every angle and it worked perfect.

Had another friend with an 8520 who left it in her pocket while doing laundry. That phone is fried and I actually have it in my possession now. Let us know how it goes with rice.
    05-04-11 09:36 PM
    if a few keys wont work, theres probably still water in the sticker keypad membrane. try maybe using a blowdryer on low heat or cool air to help evaporate the water from under there.
    05-04-11 11:46 PM
    Leave it for few days, don't turn it on just let it dry. I have a friend with the same situation. It happened a week ago and her BlackBerry's fine now.
    05-05-11 07:21 AM
    Actually the alcohol IS a good ideal, but you need to get PURE alcohol, the higher the percent the better. You'll find it in the hardware, or home store, it's called denatured alcohol.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ht-way-318876/
    05-05-11 07:39 AM
    I hoped you learned a lesson from all this. PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN, before taking a pee. Good thing it dropped in the toilet before the pee. You would have a bigger problem on your hands otherwise.
    05-05-11 06:03 PM
    Actually the alcohol IS a good ideal, but you need to get PURE alcohol, the higher the percent the better. You'll find it in the hardware, or home store, it's called denatured alcohol.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ht-way-318876/
    +1 - alcohol is definately the way to go. to clean up any mineral deposits left being by the water... i would suggest the rice for another 24 hours after the alcohol, just to be sure...
    05-05-11 06:57 PM
    It's always a crappy deal to have this happen. The alcohol and rice could work. At least it's your best shot. It stinks to have it happen but it's not all that uncommon. Hopefully it will be good as new after it dries, but it is a crap shoot. Worse comes to worse and it takes a dump on you, you can pick up a replacement on eBay, but watch out and read the feedback so that you don't get a t*rd.

05-05-11 10:20 PM
    It's always a crappy deal to have this happen. The alcohol and rice could work. At least it's your best shot. It stinks to have it happen but it's not all that uncommon. Hopefully it will be good as new after it dries, but it is a crap shoot. Worse comes to worse and it takes a dump on you, you can pick up a replacement on eBay, but watch out and read the feedback so that you don't get a t*rd.

+1 to this. I used eBay to get myself a 9700 to upgrade my Curve 8520. Bought it, all in new condition. It had 7(!) major problems with it. Got into a firece dispute with the seller over it, eventually I won and got my refund (by the time it had escalated he had already received the phone in the post, and was STILL refusing to issue the refund).

I instead bought a Torch from the Carphone Warehouse.
    05-06-11 06:59 PM
    The best thing you can do is get a bunch of desiccants (from shoe boxes, pill bottles, etc), put them in a zip lock bag, and leave your phone in there for a few days. Be sure to leave your phone off the whole time
    05-06-11 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD