I�m a college student. Engineering. I'm taking a class of software development and we are trying out out JAVA 2ME platform to develop little programs for mobile devices.
    So far not bad.

However we got this big project, in which we are suppose to develop a huge program that works with GPS and maps. Suddenly my teacher said: "your app has to be able to run on android and ios. If you got time then you can integrate your app to Blackberry but dont even bother, its not worth getting too familiarized with that thing as it will disappear in a couple of months"

As a proud owner of 3 blackberry devices I must say I was pretty upset. I think if you're a professor you must be professional when you refer yourself to brands and products.
    09-27-11 01:13 AM
    That professer is an *******. Develop and hack as you wish, don't let his ignorance/stereotypish slang get in the way.

Besides, you could offer it OTA once it's done or for the testing phase Crackberry Keven could also blog about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-11 01:45 AM
    To **** with the professor is what i say. ....Generally speaking they are so full of themselves anyway. Something about Professors remind me of the Mr. One upper Guy.
    09-27-11 01:49 AM
    I say you make the BB app to where it blows all the other Iphones and Androids' away...and maybe quite possibly your professor. lol.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    09-27-11 02:01 AM
    Since you're working on a GPS + maps program, find a way to allow the program to track your professor's location. Then give us the app and we'll take care of him
    Jake2826 and KQ9 like this.
    09-27-11 02:05 AM
    With that kind of thinking, we should of just thrown away the first Iphone. Seeing how Apple had no hope before then... but what do I know, I'm not a professor.
    Anyways, good luck with your classes!
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-27-11 02:10 AM
    At least you know he's up-to-date in the mobile world.
    09-27-11 02:22 AM
    Could he have meant that with the upcoming QNX OS, the Java platform might be going away? (Hopefully they are making a Java player like the AP.)

Tell him your Econ professor said it doesn't make sense for multiple developers to saturate a market with similar apps. How many of the 13,000+ iOS To DO List apps are profitable?
    09-27-11 02:28 AM
    The prof sounds like the typical agenda driven social engineers that we have allowed to infiltrate and teach our children. They are offended if anyone dares to challenge their personal opinions and can rarely recognize facts when placed in front of them.

I'd build the real version for Blackberry and port the Angry Birds version for the android and ios. Don't forget to add the fart app in those as an important option.
    09-27-11 07:33 AM
    Ok that professor has got my hands trembling. Slap him across his sorry face and tell him that Blackberry apps make the most money
    Its true.........
    09-27-11 07:37 AM
    Well, qnx is here in a few months so really.. he's right. If you're guiding developers to a lucrative opportunity it would be unwise to point them in a direction that's admittedly going away. There's just no arguing it, bbos is over and qnx is next, but the native sdk hasn't been released so you can't develop for that yet. As for bb apps making the most money .. that's utter nonsense. If that were true the ios app store wouldn't have 750k apps compared to app worlds 20k. Bb developers have notoriously complained that the blackberry platform isn't worth developing on because its too hard with little return. Feel free to paste the forum thread about how bb apps make the most money. Its nonsense

09-27-11 08:02 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-money-653305/

This is the thread!

09-27-11 08:33 AM
    forums.crackberry.com/news-rumors-f40/app-developers-blackberry-best-making-money-653305/

This is the thread!

Yep and it was also on the front page of CB!

09-27-11 08:35 AM
    forums.crackberry.com/news-rumors-f40/app-developers-blackberry-best-making-money-653305/

This is the thread!

Yes I read it, and its just not true. Read the replies. Its person after person explaining how its not true

09-27-11 08:46 AM
    Well, qnx is here in a few months so really.. he's right. If you're guiding developers to a lucrative opportunity it would be unwise to point them in a direction that's admittedly going away. There's just no arguing it, bbos is over and qnx is next, but the native sdk hasn't been released so you can't develop for that yet. As for bb apps making the most money .. that's utter nonsense. If that were true the ios app store wouldn't have 750k apps compared to app worlds 20k. Bb developers have notoriously complained that the blackberry platform isn't worth developing on because its too hard with little return. Feel free to paste the forum thread about how bb apps make the most money. Its nonsense

There's still plenty of app development going on for BlackBerries, though I'm sure some are waiting for QNX to be released. Even when QNX phones come out, the majority of BlackBerry users will not be on it for a long time coming, and I'd be shocked if apps developed for QNX aren't also made available for the masses running OS7 or lesser. This all is far from the point though. The professor should have at a minimum explained themselves, if they felt the need to make such an asinine statement.

Oh, and I didn't see one developer comment on the article, so I'd have to toss the comments as irrelevant.

Now, enough with the personal attacks flying around. I'm sharpening my mod stick here.
    09-27-11 09:25 AM
    Your profs a close minded Troll! He wanted a BB but he could never understand it enough to make it work. So he is telling you his class is for Androids and iPhones only. I would file a complaint demand the credit for the class and drop it.

09-27-11 09:59 AM
    J2ME development for Android or iOS? I didn't think there was any J2ME development for those two platforms (other than hobbyist attempts to make it work, but not successful).
    09-27-11 11:17 AM
    J2ME development for Android or iOS? I didn't think there was any J2ME development for those two platforms (other than hobbyist attempts to make it work, but not successful).
    Don't tell me that the professor, in all his vast knowledge and brilliance, would have the class do something that is worthless and doomed before starting?
    09-27-11 11:26 AM
    Your profs a close minded Troll!
    A troll? Lmao. I can think of plenty of others words to call him besides troll. However, troll now seems to be the word to call someone who doesn't agree/share the same beliefs as you.

Bottom line the professor shouldn't be making those types of claims.
    09-27-11 12:37 PM
    Although that was a pretty bold statement, I don't think you really need to get so upset. Besides, use this as inspiration to make an app for your BB better then anybody else's app

09-27-11 02:52 PM
    Now we can add to the list of curse words on CB: BGR, analyst, Verizon execs and now... college professors.

Last I checked, college was supposed to be an environment that helped one frame one's outlook on life by strengthening the existing framework by comparing to external opinions.

If we all avoided teachers that had differing views and/or values, we would learn nothing.

We can learn from people who disagree with us... or, we could just call them trolls.
    09-27-11 03:07 PM
    We can learn from people who disagree with us... or, we could just call them trolls.
    Lol..imagine the day politicians debating just start yelling "TROLL!" at one another..
    john_v likes this.
    09-27-11 03:43 PM
    it will disappear in a couple of months? well if he says that... i don't think he knows what he's talking about.
    09-27-11 05:16 PM
    thanks for the suggestions...
    its nice to share my anger and frustration with fellow bb geeks
    09-27-11 07:26 PM
    Lol..imagine the day politicians debating just start yelling "TROLL!" at one another..
    Ha... it would be AWESOME!

I might actually watch political debates and C-SPAN. "Mr Speaker: you, sir, are nothing but a partisan TROLL!"
    09-27-11 07:46 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD