06-03-19 09:09 AM
    Actually the beginning of the end was the day the iPhone launched and everyone dismissed it.... I'll admit I was one of those too. That first iPhone was a joke - but it did evolve.

BlackBerry was the Hare that had a huge lead and let someone slow and stead them to irrelevance.
    phuoc and astrodan13 like this.
    06-03-19 09:20 AM
    And looking back in history https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...36561320070212

Balsillie said the iPhone’s launch validates the thinking that multimedia features such as music should be expected in cellphones. BlackBerry was one of the first to have a MP3 music player.... Glad Apple was able to validate BlackBerry.
    06-03-19 03:22 PM
    Amazing, this was just 8 years ago.

And today iOS 13 also brought more security upgrades further making it better than BB for privacy to.
    sesp9 likes this.
    06-03-19 05:40 PM
    I remember it like it was yesterday, I bought the original iPhone 2G aluminum model when it was released and my first impression was the OS was bland and it was OK.

At that time I was using Blackberry devices in my business and all my clients used BBM as their primary messaging service.

Then Android started to take hold and many of my clients where shifting over because it was open source and they could develop custom applications quicker then using the Blackberry development tools.

The one thing folks are quick to forget was how Apple marketing in the schools here really took hold with the young folks and they migrated to the iPhone like a fish to water and the rest was history.

I won’t go into the OS10 era because we all know how that ended. I will say one thing that I miss, back in the day when you had a Blackberry device, it said you where a professional.

That’s something that lacks today because everyone has a smartphone so no ones looks at the professional aspect anymore.

I miss those days and my ***@blackberry.net email address, those where the days and the forums where buzzing back then.
    Thud Hardsmack and sesp9 like this.
    06-03-19 07:55 PM
    Actually the beginning of the end was the day the iPhone launched and everyone dismissed it.... I'll admit I was one of those too. That first iPhone was a joke - but it did evolve.

BlackBerry was the Hare that had a huge lead and let someone slow and stead them to irrelevance.
    Not everyone, Eric Schmidt had already caught the vision. Blackberry's co CEOs and Balmer at MS totally paid the price for their lack of vision.
    bakron1 likes this.
    06-04-19 12:15 AM
    Not everyone, Eric Schmidt had already caught the vision. Blackberry's co CEOs and Balmer at MS totally paid the price for their lack of vision.
    As I said in one of my post, Apple was very smart to get their machines in the public school system here. Most young folks had already been associated with the Apple brand, so when the iPhone was introduced, the transition was easy and the rest is history.
    06-04-19 07:30 AM
    I miss those days and my ***@blackberry.net email address, those where the days and the forums where buzzing back then.
    I would pay money for a blackberry.net email account. I wish Blackberry could package one in with our BBMe accounts for $10 a year
    bakron1 likes this.
    06-04-19 08:24 AM
    I would pay money for a blackberry.net email account. I wish Blackberry could package one in with our BBMe accounts for $10 a year
    Yeah I had hoped that BlackBerry had bought all the Cloud option needed to build their own... Email, Cloud Storage, Cloud Backup type Service. Fill in where BIS once was and expand on that.
    illsince1977 and john_v like this.
    06-04-19 09:13 AM
    Bb was never a cloud services provider of any significance, and 2012-13 was very late to try to get into that game. They were overwhelmed with getting BB10 out as it was.
    06-04-19 04:31 PM
    Bb was never a cloud services provider of any significance, and 2012-13 was very late to try to get into that game. They were overwhelmed with getting BB10 out as it was.
    They bought a number of companies in the 2009 - 2011 period that could have expanded the basic backup cloud features that already BBOS had.

Make the BIS email interface a real email provider.... (without the BIS part)
    Expand the existing BBOS backup to cover more data stores from the device...
    Small amount of cloud backup... in 2013 that wouldn't have been much.
    Doc to Go would have made a great Cross Platform tool, with a way to centralize storage.

Instead with BB10 they dropped the cloud options that BBOS already had, and went with integrating 3rd party options... all they could afford to do. In the end BlackBerry just wasn't big enough to play.
    06-05-19 07:36 AM
    Except blackberry is now software and security. They do hardened android, that's about it. It's not even called blackberry OS anymore.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    06-06-19 09:43 AM
    Except blackberry is now software and security. They do hardened android, that's about it. It's not even called blackberry OS anymore.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    At this point we aren't even sure if they do hardened android anymore....
    06-06-19 11:12 AM
    At this point we aren't even sure if they do hardened android anymore....
    Then just drop the licensing and make a "TCL KEY3" already!
    06-06-19 01:43 PM