So can someone tell me what the deal is with Wifi on the phone. I was told by one representative at Tmobile that the wifi is something just so you can get a stronger signal at home, and NOTHING else. Later, I talked to a friend who told me that I could go overseas and cut off the Tmobile service and turn on the wifi and get browsing AND calls. So I called a Tmobile rep, and she said that if I used wifi overseas, I could actually get free browing and data... But no free calls... I'm a little confused now.. I've now talked to 3 reps and gotten 3 different stories...
    11-28-10 12:50 PM
    UMA and free data
    11-28-10 01:21 PM
    Lol! Here is my $.02. I have browsed the web and BBM'd on my 9700 without a sim card in it! So you can definitrly do that. As far as make a call over wifi without the network completely (meaning sim card out) I am not sure. You may have to have that sim card to at least have a "number" to dial from.... Not sure about that. What I do know is that you can take your sim card out and try to make a call. That would be the same as dialing without the network anywhere in thw world. Lwt us know!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 01:23 PM
    I did it so I think I know. On UMA overseas (and mind you, not all WiFi connections will give you UMA, for they may not be strong enough), you must have your SIM card in to make calls. But if you call back to the USA you will just use your regular minutes not a roaming charge or overseas rates. I am not sure when they count it as being after 7PM or weekends, and hence, free of any minute charge. I know it treated my calls as coming from the US because my number was recognized by some auto systems, where it would not be recognized if I called from abroad via roaming. UMA is GREAT.

Further my wife searched the net and got her e-mail for free using a 9700 bb without any SIM card. It works like an Ipod Touch.

B B
    11-29-10 07:13 PM
    I did it so I think I know. On UMA overseas (and mind you, not all WiFi connections will give you UMA, for they may not be strong enough), you must have your SIM card in to make calls. But if you call back to the USA you will just use your regular minutes not a roaming charge or overseas rates. I am not sure when they count it as being after 7PM or weekends, and hence, free of any minute charge. I know it treated my calls as coming from the US because my number was recognized by some auto systems, where it would not be recognized if I called from abroad via roaming. UMA is GREAT.

Further my wife searched the net and got her e-mail for free using a 9700 bb without any SIM card. It works like an Ipod Touch.

B B
    Wow... Free calls in Europe.. Great to know... So since I have unlimited calling... I can talk as long as I want..?
    11-29-10 09:10 PM
    I thought in order to use the phone oversees you have to have roaming add on to the account regular signal or UMA wont work!
    11-29-10 09:22 PM
    Wow... Free calls in Europe.. Great to know... So since I have unlimited calling... I can talk as long as I want..?

But only on calls back to the USA. You cannot call London from London in that fashion.

Enjoy.
    11-29-10 09:27 PM
    I thought in order to use the phone oversees you have to have roaming add on to the account regular signal or UMA wont work!
    That my be true for my firm has international roaming as part of our package. But you do not have to use the roaming feature when on UMA and calling back to the USA if you have a USA TMo account. I have no idea how this works for accounts from other lands.
    11-29-10 09:29 PM
    Not free calls but you can use browser to browse for free.... and this would not be entirely free since you are using your own internet providers data usage.. its free in some airports or wifi zones like starbucks so you could potentially lock onto a wifi network which is not yours and get free browsing ( unlimited Data)... the good thing about rogers is you get free wifi calling, so I can talk 6 hours a day on the phone on any wifi connection and not be charged a penny
    11-30-10 12:42 AM
    t-mobile is actually really helpful when it comes to overseas stuff. i used my 8900 in france and before i left, i spent like 10minutes on the phone to a customer service person, making sure i knew all there was to know, so i wouldn't be surprised by a $1000 phone bill when i got back. if you just turn on wi-fi at the cafes or wherever, you can use bbm, the web, etc. calls will cost you though. even clicking on the web browser would cost you, and so does BBM if someone even pings you haha. so i deleted bbm, hid my web browser so i wouldn't be tempted, to click on it while NOT in a wi-fi area, and i was good to go.

oh, and even receiving voicemails costs YOU money. the customer service rep said that when your phone receives a voicemail, the voicemail is delivered using the roaming network, which costs you, even if you don't call in to listen to it. so you tell tmobile to disable your voicemail (you tell them the date and time), and you also set the time in advance for them to re-enable it for when you're back.
    11-30-10 05:37 AM
    t-mobile is actually really helpful when it comes to overseas stuff. i used my 8900 in france and before i left, i spent like 10minutes on the phone to a customer service person, making sure i knew all there was to know, so i wouldn't be surprised by a $1000 phone bill when i got back. if you just turn on wi-fi at the cafes or wherever, you can use bbm, the web, etc. calls will cost you though. even clicking on the web browser would cost you, and so does BBM if someone even pings you haha. so i deleted bbm, hid my web browser so i wouldn't be tempted, to click on it while NOT in a wi-fi area, and i was good to go.

oh, and even receiving voicemails costs YOU money. the customer service rep said that when your phone receives a voicemail, the voicemail is delivered using the roaming network, which costs you, even if you don't call in to listen to it. so you tell tmobile to disable your voicemail (you tell them the date and time), and you also set the time in advance for them to re-enable it for when you're back.

Ok, I was told that if you turn on the international data plan before you go overseas, there is NO charge for BBM or Email. I was also told that if you turn OFF your tmobile network and keep the wifi on, you can browse on your phone... Is that NOT true???/
    12-01-10 03:00 PM
    All that is true. Just do not browse unless the network if OFF and you are on wifi. The browsing charges are humongous.
    12-01-10 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD