07-08-10 04:47 AM
32 12
tools
    Its always 'worked' just 2G which is painfully slow for how much I need it... No 3G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah... thats what I meant... 3G doesn't work.... Like I originally said.
    07-07-10 10:12 AM
    well, that's usually true (as in: Telus/bell/Rogers/fido/virgin mobile/MTS/Sasktel), but in the US T-Mobile uses a slightly different radio. it cannot be flashed to work on different frequencies.
    I find it hard to believe that RIM would manufacture 2 separate 9700s ju to have slightly different radios vs one that would cover them all be have the firmware brand them to the specific carriers... But either way unfortunately I think this is a lost cause... I'm still hoping something is out there, but I've mostly given up the hope of having a universal phone
    07-08-10 01:06 AM
    I find it hard to believe that RIM would manufacture 2 separate 9700s ju to have slightly different radios vs one that would cover them all be have the firmware brand them to the specific carriers... But either way unfortunately I think this is a lost cause... I'm still hoping something is out there, but I've mostly given up the hope of having a universal phone
    yeah I personally have no idea why this is, but if it's possible I can't imagine that there isn't some increasing incentive for the manufacturers to make an AIO device.
    07-08-10 01:16 AM
    07-08-10 01:22 AM
    For the record that is a thread that is more or less identical to this one.

however, here's a claim:
    instructions:
    go to the engineering menu - press alt shift and H at the same time
    go to mobile network engineering screens, utilities, radio capabilities, umts band, set umts supported bands, <choose bands>

obviously the hardest part is getting into the engineering menu
    and more details:
    From what I have been reading, it is possible to make data work on an unlocked blackberry storm (http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/**...m-95xx-106023/), but *only* if you can get ahold of generic service books for your carrier, assuming they already have support for blackberries on their network.

This is great for T-Mobile, but not for us Cricket-folk.

Also, due to the recent leak of a couple internal RIM software utilities, it's now possible to unlock the GSM simlock on most newer blackberries for free, by generating the unlock code yourself.

This leaked software also lets your generate an "EScreens" unlock code, which will unlock the full radio/os/java/gps/etc.. engineering menus on your CDMA blackberry.

I've been through all of the EScreens on an 8830 WE, and a sprint 8330 Curve, but could not find anything that will really help us with our proxy issue. Tons of cool stuff, probably 8 categories of pages, with each category have 1-5 pages each. Lots of stuff I had no real idea what it was for, and the stuff I did recognize didn't seem all that useful for hacking the os/app layer, but nice to see nonetheless...

Can't wait to see what's on the Storm's engineering screens...

The EScreens are accessed by pressing ALT-SHIFT-H, from the home screen. This will bring up the Help-Info screen, which is not very useful. It is here, and you type the 8-character unlock code, to gain access to the EScreen. While typing the code, there is nothing echoed on screen, and nothing to indicate that you have entered an incorrect code. When a correct code is entered, the engineering screen pops up. Now, when you press ALT-SHIFT-H, from the home screen, you go directly to the EScreens, bypassing the Help-Info screen automatically. The codes usually last 30days, at least from what I've read..

But I think there is something more we have to do, in addition to setting the correct proxy, and that is use the correct APN name. Check out nv item 1194, which contains the AN/EVDO username, but at the end of the nv item, on the sprint 8330, it contained some default APN info..

I think something other than correct proxy is needed, because we cannot even access sites like AccuWeather.com, which do not need the proxy. I think maybe the existing proxy is being forced, and if it doesn't work, it is not bypassed.

This is opposite behavior to most other phones, including sprint phones, which even if still configured for the sprint 68.x.x.x gateway, they will still go to AccuWeather.com. It seems they will first attempt to use the gateway, and if it can't be used, they bypass it.

Anyway... wonder what it takes to become a RIM partner, so as to gain access to the tools needed to create our own service books. I seen their list of carriers, I think I even saw "Joe's Crab Shack MVNO" on there somewhere, so it can't be that tough. ;-)
    EScreen code generator

code, in Python:
    Code:
    import hmac
    import hashlib

pin = 'ffaa0000'            # Device PIN                [XXXXXXXX]
    app = '4.6.0.100 (233)'     # OS Application version    [n.n.n.n (n)]
    uptime = '12345'            # Uptime in seconds             
    duration = 30               # Duration for key to last  [1, 3, 6, 15, or 30]

lifetime = {
     1: "",
     3: "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my rag time gal",
     7: "He was a boy, and she was a girl, can I make it any more obvious?",
     15: "So am I, still waiting, for this world to stop hating?",
     30: "I love myself today, not like yesterday. I'm cool, I'm calm, I'm gonna be okay"
    }

secret = 'Up the time stream without a TARDIS'

data = pin + app + uptime + lifetime[duration]
    hash = hmac.new(secret, data, digestmod = hashlib.sha1)
    key = hash.hexdigest()[:8]

print key

also: being on Bell too I talked about roaming plans, and while they do not have a $10 coverage extender they have iirc: $25/unlimited email, $30/500MB and $400/1GB. not 100% about the last two.
    Last edited by grahamf; 07-08-10 at 02:17 AM.
    07-08-10 01:41 AM
    I have streamline the post as follows

1. press alt shift and H at the same time (Storm users hold back and while holding touch top left then top right then top left then top right)
    2. If you are on a mac or UNIX derivative with python installed:
    2.1: open a new text document, then make plain text if needed (Textedit: Format menu ->make plain text.)
    2.2: input this code:
    Code:
    import hmac
    import hashlib

pin = 'ffaa0000'            # Device PIN                [XXXXXXXX]
    app = '4.6.0.100 (233)'     # OS Application version    [n.n.n.n (n)]
    uptime = '12345'            # Uptime in seconds             
    duration = 30               # Duration for key to last  [1, 3, 6, 15, or 30]

lifetime = {
     1: "",
     3: "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my rag time gal",
     7: "He was a boy, and she was a girl, can I make it any more obvious?",
     15: "So am I, still waiting, for this world to stop hating?",
     30: "I love myself today, not like yesterday. I'm cool, I'm calm, I'm gonna be okay"
    }

secret = 'Up the time stream without a TARDIS'

data = pin + app + uptime + lifetime[duration]
    hash = hmac.new(secret, data, digestmod = hashlib.sha1)
    key = hash.hexdigest()[:8]

print "key is:" + key
    change the "pin" "app" and "uptime" info to the info in the BB's Help me screen
    2.3: save as whatever.py
    3: you should be able to double-click this on Mac. other UNIX derivative users should know, Windows users IDK
    4: input that 8 digit/charater code into the help screen. there will be no indication until done
    5: go to mobile network engineering screens, utilities, radio capabilities, umts band, set umts supported bands, <choose bands>

I may streamline step 2 to a web app if i knew how.
    Last edited by grahamf; 07-08-10 at 02:44 AM.
    07-08-10 02:31 AM
    For the record that is a thread that is more or less identical to this one.
    Close, but not really. This thread mentions nothing about the Engineering Screens...
    also: being on Bell too I talked about roaming plans, and while they do not have a $10 coverage extender they have iirc: $25/unlimited email, $30/500MB and $400/1GB. not 100% about the last two.
    Thanks, but I don't believe they have any of those available anymore... AT least not last time I called. However they do have a decent roaming package: You pay $10/month to get a cheaper US roaming data rate of only $1/mb instead of the usual $6-15/mb.

Roaming data isn't too big of a problem with $1/mb its fairly reasonable (if I don't tether), but Calling & Texting is still stupid expensive with Bell and they don't have any GOOD roaming minute plans (they're all too much $$ for what you get imo) and they recently stopped offering their only roaming text package so all roaming texts are now $0.75 EACH! (plus $0.15 incoming if its not included in your plan)

I may streamline step 2 to a web app if i knew how.
    No need to. There's already a web version to generate the eScreen codes available here: Zibri's Blog: Hidden things are usually the best
    07-08-10 04:47 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD