-- Thread's info written November 29th 2012 --

CrackBerrrry Nation,

In a lot of video's the people giving demos about BlackBerry10 have stated its world leading HTML5 support. So today I went to html5test.com to check the current score on the latest dev alpha OS and saw BlackBerry10 is not leading anymore. "Tizen 2" scores 485 with 16 bonus points where blackBerry10 scores 484 with 11 bonus points. Altough its not a huge difference it's still too bad we can't (at the moment) "talk big" about it anymore hehehe.

So what's this "Tizen 2", and do you guys think this will motivate RIM even more to create a better BlackBerry10 browser to take back that leading spot?

Mitfry
    Last edited by mitfry; 11-29-12 at 01:58 PM.
    11-29-12 01:37 PM
    there's no need to brag about having the highest score for html5. although it is being pushed it has yet to be a standard. alot of these web apps being built for this standard will make its way to many consumers. samsung will be using it with their consumer line of hardware and so will RIM. so as it picks up, standardization will soon be in the horizon.
    11-29-12 01:46 PM
    And like many others have already said, that huge score may not translate as better functionality. RIM should somehow find a median between awesome functionality and a high HTML5 score.
    pantlesspenguin and kbz1960 like this.
    11-29-12 02:02 PM
    So just because (not yet released) product is qualified 2nd with 100 points in front of 2 currently most popular products we don't have a reason to brag? F that, we have full right to brag, don't be surprised if BB10 passes HTML5 test with 500 and Ring 2 test when it is finally released. It would make sense if RIM was aiming for this, it would just look great at the official launch
    peter9477, mitfry and antiRIM like this.
    11-29-12 02:04 PM
    Whats tizen 2 im too lazy to google it
    11-29-12 02:07 PM
    i think its a samsung mobile os....or maybe a browser.

Tizen is an operating system for multiple device categories including smartphones, tablets, in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) devices, smart TVs, and more. Tizen offers a consistent user experience that consumers can take from device to device. Tizen is open source and standards-based software. Its main components are the Linux kernel, the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries[2] (EFL) and the WebKit runtime.
    The Tizen project resides within the Linux Foundation and is governed by a Technical Steering Group (TSG). The TSG (Intel and Samsung) is the primary decision-making body, with a focus on platform development and delivery, along with the formation of working groups to support device verticals.
    The Tizen Association[3] has been formed to guide the industry role of Tizen, including gathering of requirements, identification and facilitation of service models, and overall industry marketing and education.
    Tizen provides a flexible environment for application developers, based on jQuery and jQuery Mobile. The software development kit (SDK) allows developers to use HTML5 and related web technologies to write applications that run across multiple device segments.
    11-29-12 02:23 PM
    Tizen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TizenTizen is open source and standards-based software. Its main components are the Linux kernel, the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL) and the WebKit ...
    11-29-12 02:25 PM
    Here are some screenshots using a Galaxy S3 using Dolphin.

11-29-12 02:31 PM
    Personally, I don't care if it has the top HTML5 score as long as it scores well and is faster than the competition. My Playbook scores better than my friend's iPad, but his pages load quicker and look just as good. Unless the pages look like crap, most people really just care about speed.
    11-29-12 02:33 PM
    His pages load quicker because it's not rendering the true page. All the flash is stripped out of it. Less content rich...
    11-29-12 02:56 PM
    His pages load quicker because it's not rendering the true page. All the flash is stripped out of it. Less content rich...
    No its on pages with no flash where it happens too. And full websites not mobile versions.
    11-29-12 03:03 PM
    Here are some screenshots using a Galaxy S3 using Dolphin.

http://i.imgur.com/9wGZe.png
    I thought bb10 was supposed to be the best. What happened
    11-29-12 03:04 PM
    The discussion wasn't about Flash though, it was about HTML5. iOS rendering is very fluid and fast. iOS may not have the highest score on html5test.com, but in real world usage, it cannot be beat. The reason is that when web developers test their web pages, iOS is the most important testbed. Let's say someone used an advanced html feature that Android or BB10 has but isn't on iOS. That would be considered a bug, and the web developer would stop using that feature.

iOS also does javascript really really well.
    11-29-12 03:05 PM
    So just because (not yet released) product is qualified 2nd with 100 points in front of 2 currently most popular products we don't have a reason to brag? F that, we have full right to brag, don't be surprised if BB10 passes HTML5 test with 500 and Ring 2 test when it is finally released. It would make sense if RIM was aiming for this, it would just look great at the official launch
    That would indeed be great, well.. with a very small chance it is one of these surprises RIM has planned out for us at launch hehe! And I do agree that even if BlackBerry10 scores high(er) but renders more slowly than the competition the overall experience wouldn't be as good, but hey.. a high score still looks nice.
    11-29-12 04:16 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, the whole Tizen OS is built on HTML.
    11-29-12 04:21 PM
    I thought bb10 was supposed to be the best. What happened
    You didn't think other developers would stop working on their browsers, did you? Plus like others have pointed out, scores don't mean as much as real world performance. For some reason since Dolphin reached a higher html5 score it's become less stable for me. I've used tons of browsers but have ALWAYS gone back to Dolphin. Now I'm just using the stock browser until Dolphin gets the kinks ironed out. If the BB10 browser boasts a high (but possibly not the best) html5 score plus be higher performing with real usage then it still will be the best, IMHO.
    11-29-12 04:35 PM
    You didn't think other developers would stop working on their browsers, did you? Plus like others have pointed out, scores don't mean as much as real world performance. For some reason since Dolphin reached a higher html5 score it's become less stable for me. I've used tons of browsers but have ALWAYS gone back to Dolphin. Now I'm just using the stock browser until Dolphin gets the kinks ironed out. If the BB10 browser boasts a high (but possibly not the best) html5 score plus be higher performing with real usage then it still will be the best, IMHO.
    Agreed, performance and experience are everything in the end.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-29-12 04:40 PM
    They can still twist the wording like Apple do. They could say "The browser that ships with BB10 has a higher HTML5 score than the browsers that ship with any other OS on the market today." Which would be true.
    11-29-12 04:43 PM
    It would be interesting to see what would happen if Samsung introduced Tizen big time. Maybe even ditch Android for it. Would that deliver quite a blow to whole Android system? It seems like a lot of people don't really know about OS'es in general and stick to single brands. Would be switch when the next Galaxy S4 would launch with a completely polished Tizen instead of Android 4.x?
    11-30-12 01:28 AM
    One thing I think people tend to forget about the BlackBerry browser is that RIM is giving back to the webkit community with it. Sure, they have high scores but so does everyone else who wants to implement RIM's contributions to the code. It's not like RIM has some super secret work being done under the hood, it's all there out in the open.

WebKit Team
    bungaboy, BB10FTW, kbz1960 and 2 others like this.
    11-30-12 01:47 AM
    It would be interesting to see what would happen if Samsung introduced Tizen big time. Maybe even ditch Android for it. Would that deliver quite a blow to whole Android system? It seems like a lot of people don't really know about OS'es in general and stick to single brands. Would be switch when the next Galaxy S4 would launch with a completely polished Tizen instead of Android 4.x?
    I'm pretty sure Google wouldn't allow the devices to access the Play store if Samsung tried this.
    11-30-12 02:42 AM
    On another note i imagine bb10 on dolphin will be higher then gs3 on dolphin. And comparing native the same thing
    11-30-12 04:05 AM
    Other's have already cited that real world HTML5 browsing experience is slow on RIM devices like the Playbook despite having higher HTML5 benchmarks scores. It's a matter of competitors not supporting non-standard functionalities (since HTML5 rather new and non-standard). All HTML5 benchmark scores measure at this point is compatibility/functionality and not speed. Javascript scores are more reflective of the browsing speeds you will experience on Blackberry relative to competing browsers.

Compatibility is one thing to be proud of; but, you should be aware that statements like "BB10 is the fastest web browser" are probably misnomers if you are basing it off HTML5 scores. Neither should you have the expection of the BB10 browser to be the fastest browser in loading HTML5 pages when it finally debuts.
    11-30-12 05:22 AM
    No its on pages with no flash where it happens too. And full websites not mobile versions.

the playbooks browser is built off Adobe AIR, it can render alot but its also pretty RAM hungry and a bit laggy, if i do recall BB10s browser is built from HTML5 so it doesn't really need a third party app loader to run it like the current Playbook browser which needs AIR
    11-30-12 06:50 AM
    While HTML5test measures compatibility, the sunspider test does a much better job of testing how browsers *can* perform. RIM has done a much better job here than previous, with the Dev B running the previous build coming in at 1793ms, which is marginally better than the Galaxy S 3 from Samsung. iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 both do SIGNIFICANTLY better, coming in at under 1000ms. RIM still has a lot of work to do with the javascript performance, but at least they are making strides.

(fully up to date Dev A comes in at 1503ms, whenever i get around to updating my Dev B it *should* perform even better than that)
    11-30-12 07:16 AM
47 12