Well, due to household budget issues, I'm being forced to cancel my Blackberry data plan!! I've only been a BB user since Nov. 4th when I purchased the Bold, and am addicted to it, but for the forseeable future, I'll be a data-less user... I'm bummed... hopefully when our budget issues become better, Ill be back on the wagon!

Anyone else use their BB "just" for a phone???
    12-10-08 03:57 PM
    i am sorry that has happen to you we have to pray things will get better soon.
    12-10-08 04:01 PM
    yep me, I do have unlimited email though but no data plan. I do everything I can except stuff that a data plan is required...although I would love a data plan, I too am on a tight budget but I am happy, at the end of the day it's still a Blackberry.
    12-10-08 04:16 PM
    unlimited email.. that would be fine with me for now, but apparenlty AT&T doesn't offer this stand alone feature.. bummer.

I'm paid through the 27th of December, so I have a couple of weeks left to get my fix in..
    12-10-08 04:18 PM
    My wife uses her Pearl for just a phone. She still loves it. It is so customizable unlike a lot of phones today.
    12-10-08 04:20 PM
    Sorry to hear the bad news. I hope things come back on the financial front for you and you can get your data plan back.
    Good Luck
    12-10-08 04:24 PM
    I'm sure it eventually will...I guess there are worse things in the world than having to go w/o a data package! I spent the past 7 months just Waiting for the Bold, and i didn't have a data plan then.. all in due time I guess.

at least i still have the best phone on the planet!!
    12-10-08 04:27 PM
    If I dont have a data plan, can I still use Wi-fi to access the net w/o incurring any additional costs?
    12-10-08 04:29 PM
    Stay strong soldier ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 04:32 PM
    If I dont have a data plan, can I still use Wi-fi to access the net w/o incurring any additional costs?
    You certainly can. BMCCLURE937 wrote this excellent WiFi guide:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/
    12-10-08 04:43 PM
    Thanks for that post AG, well done!
    12-10-08 04:57 PM
    I am in the same boat so to speak. Will be the first of the year before I can add the data and nav plans on my curve but still love it. I have even found a couple of free gps, no data used apps that are fun to play with so will just kick it around till next year then watch out, I may go crazy,,.. wait I am already crazy

Julian
    12-10-08 05:03 PM
    You certainly can. BMCCLURE937 wrote this excellent WiFi guide:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/
    Thanks for the link! I think I got it set up.

12-10-08 11:22 PM
    I've been using my pearl w/o a dataplan, just using wifi whenever I need to hoponline.
    I'm content using it just as a phone, don't see the need to spend extra for messenger an slower access to the internet.
    12-11-08 12:01 AM
    Man, that sux. I hope your situation improves. In all honesty, if I was in your situation, I would return the bb. Although perhaps you've missed the window to do so. Perhaps u can sell it on ebay? Why not get a simple functional voice only phone until the situation improves? I hope I'm not coming off as being too preachy.

12-11-08 12:26 AM
    For the time being get the Pay Per Use plan so that when you need a fix of internet or GPS use you still have access. Every couple months I will have the need to look something up and it still only runs me a couple dollars. You can also track your usage on the AT&T site so you can control your spending.
    12-11-08 12:37 AM
    A BB without a data plan really sucks. I hope the link AG posted helps you out. He is a very smart cookie and always gives good advice.

12-11-08 01:05 AM
    i have a bb and didnt have a data plan. i read all these posts about how much people really enjoy their phones. i have the dataplan now i really like my phone now i fell now i can used it to fullest potential.
    12-11-08 01:29 AM
    i have the pearl and just use it as a phone. only have voice and small text plan. i still enjoy the phone even tho no data uses. my pearl has wifi and i connect to that whenever i need data but rarely.
    12-11-08 01:39 AM
    That is definitely a tough situation... can't wait until you are back with data... good luck to you.
    12-11-08 01:40 AM
    Thats a shame, hope it all works out OK for you..
    12-11-08 04:56 AM
    For the time being get the Pay Per Use plan so that when you need a fix of internet or GPS use you still have access. Every couple months I will have the need to look something up and it still only runs me a couple dollars. You can also track your usage on the AT&T site so you can control your spending.
    I'm pretty sure the customer service rep added this feature (MediaNet pay per use?) when I cancelled the data plan. My plan is good through the 27th though..so I'm using it as much as I can to get my "fix."

I will double check though to make sure I have this feature. Was this the MediaNet service?

I'm happy that if I have a WiFi connection, I can use the phone that way..

Thanks for all the encouragement and words of help.. it's only been two months since I've been a BB user... but in those two months I've become ADDICTED to it!!!
    12-11-08 02:49 PM
    Man, that sux. I hope your situation improves. In all honesty, if I was in your situation, I would return the bb. Although perhaps you've missed the window to do so. Perhaps u can sell it on ebay? Why not get a simple functional voice only phone until the situation improves? I hope I'm not coming off as being too preachy.

Hahaha.. there is no friggin way I'm giving up my BOLD.. I waited too long just to get the phone.. I'll keep it, use if as best I can with the features available and when the time comes to add the data plan back, I'll be fine. besides, I dont think I could ever go back to a "voice only" phone.. not after my BB assimilation.
    12-11-08 02:52 PM
    A BB without a data plan really sucks. I hope the link AG posted helps you out. He is a very smart cookie and always gives good advice.

It did.. I set up the Wifi connection last night for my home network and it connected with no problems!

Regarding WiFi, if connected then do all the apps run through WiFi (such as GoogleMaps, Opera Mini, BB Browser..)???
    12-11-08 02:56 PM
    It did.. I set up the Wifi connection last night for my home network and it connected with no problems!

Regarding WiFi, if connected then do all the apps run through WiFi (such as GoogleMaps, Opera Mini, BB Browser..)???
    You better double check if AT&T will allow you to utilize Wifi if you don't have the data plan. I thought I read that AT&T disables Wifi somehow, if you don't have the data plan.

Hope your situation changes so that you can sign up for data again soon.
    12-11-08 03:33 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD