You guys need to read my posts on memory. Nothing you are saying here about memory is correct. You do not need to check "file free" as it is really not showing you available memory, and you are wasting your time with battery pulls etc.
    Patrick, im gonna have to disagree with you here. Before i got into optimization, once file free was showing below 10 mbs my sms and call logs were deleted. So even if it is not 100% accurate, it is a reliable guidline in regards to when you are in the "red zone" of memory problems. This is the 2nd post i have seen where you are telling people they are wasting their time with battery pulls. But let me ask you this...is a battery pull going to harm your phone? No its not..

And perhaps before arrogantly interjecting into a thread, and telling people to "read my posts" you could take the time to provide us with your educational non-battery pull links...? Just a thought
    07-17-08 07:10 PM
    Thank you! :-). That is a great tip!!
    07-19-08 06:47 PM
    I figured that with my 500th post i would bring back this thread from the dead. This is not a shamless bump or anything, but this little shortcut was one of my favorite threads ive made so far. It seemed that alot of newer members were unaware of this and i love spreading the word of this nifty little shortcut. So hope you guys enjoy it

07-29-08 07:19 PM
    I figured that with my 500th post i would bring back this thread from the dead. This is not a shamless bump or anything, but this little shortcut was one of my favorite threads ive made so far. It seemed that alot of newer members were unaware of this and i love spreading the word of this nifty little shortcut. So hope you guys enjoy it
    Congrats on the milestone!
    07-29-08 07:25 PM
    500th post!! Congrats! and thanks for the cool tip.
    07-29-08 07:49 PM
    Another option for those that have problems hitting the keys is to hold ALT with your left thumb and type E S C R. This will get you to the same information.

Someone asked about the percentage of battery charge and this screen will show that too.

To help with memory, some of you may not have heard this one. Hold ALT with your left thumb again and type L G L G. This will take you to the Event Log. Hitting your menu option gives you Clear Log. Choose this and select Yes. I have seen some very large memory come back if I haven't performed that in a while with a very long Uptime.

Enjoy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Is This 'SAFE" to perform? I saw a (Warning) on the Event Log Screen prior to deletion?
    07-29-08 08:35 PM
    No problem at all clearing your event log. Have at it

07-29-08 08:44 PM
    Cool, thanks
    07-29-08 11:15 PM
    hey thanks... always glad to learn something.
    07-30-08 06:42 AM
    Thank u, that is good to know.
    07-30-08 08:13 AM
    I'm still lost... someone help... can this be done on the pearl... I sure cant figure it out..

the answer is on the bottom of the very first post of this thread
    08-05-08 07:55 PM
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top, nice tip.
    08-05-08 08:08 PM
    Thanks for the great shortcut tip! I always check my free memory and battery level, and this makes it so much easier! [I'm still fairly new to BB, so I don't know a lot of the shortcuts.]
    08-17-08 02:38 PM
    I'm still lost... someone help... can this be done on the pearl... I sure cant figure it out..
    Gotta double-tap on the Pearl - like this:

1. Hold the ALT key (bottom left key) with one hand, continue holding while doing steps 2-4 below
    2. Press ER once (E)
    2. Press AS twice (S)
    3. Press CV once (C)
    4. Press ER twice (R)
    Release ALT key.

Voila! It's actually a lot easier than it looks...
    09-23-08 03:14 PM
    I'm sure a lot of you are like me, constantly checking too see how much free memory you have and your exact battery charge. Well I just discovered this a few minutes ago. Hold Left Shift, Alt and H at the same time. This will bring up a "Help Me!" Screen. Not only does it show your battery and "file free" memory. But also your current OS, PIN, uptime and some other useful info. Simply hit escape once and the "Help Me!" screen will be closed (no need to hit menu and close). Keep in mind using this shortcut may accidently turn numlock on, so just tap the shift key once or twice after using this shortcut and you will be good to go!!

Sorry if some of you already knew this. But I thought it was cool and figured I'd post it for some newer users. Enjoy!

*update for all pearl users*

If you want to access the "Help Me!" screen just hold Alt then press E,S,C,R !

(thanks to ballinsol14 for this info)
    both of those suggestions work on the curve
    09-23-08 07:16 PM
    This is great

09-23-08 10:59 PM
    Yea thanks for this. I'm constantly checking my status.

09-25-08 11:38 PM
    Very helpful. Thank you!

09-26-08 01:40 AM
    When I go to the help me page it shows file free in bytes. It is showing30745854. How do I decipher that to MB? Like someone said they had 22 MB free. I am not seeing that on my screen. Thanks. I want to know how many MB's I have free.
    10-28-08 04:46 PM
    Since this thread has been picked up again I wanted to mention myboxtone insight. I don't know if it had been posted before but it will show not only file free but actual battery power and not rounded up/down to 5/0. This is an app you can find here or berry review. I don't use it anymore, I threw a lot of apps overboard last month, but it does what people on this thread are looking for.

10-28-08 05:32 PM
    Awsome. Thank you!
    10-28-08 05:42 PM
    Great shortcuts, its always nice to be reminded of them. There is so many...
    12-05-08 08:02 PM
    Very nice short cut. Thank You
    12-05-08 08:05 PM
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the tip; this has already made my life easier!
    02-17-09 01:08 PM
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the tip; this has already made my life easier!
    Glad to of helped! Im having trouble getting used to this shortcut on the 8900 with the smaller shift key. But im getting used to it.
    02-20-09 04:31 AM
106 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD