With any BB10 phone that has a removable battery, always shut down phone and wait for it to completely shut off past the black "BlackBerry" screen before pulling a battery. There is a good chance you will corrupt the os when pulling a battery on a running phone.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    05-25-14 07:15 PM
    I concur. When OS is optimized then it doesn't write data to flash all the time to save battery. Let's say there is a network traffic monitor, it could persist the current values when each new byte was received or sent. But instead, it does it at regular intervals, something like every minute and also when device is going to shut down.

Posted via CB10
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-25-14 07:20 PM
    Would this Tip also apply to an OS7 device? If not, why not?
    05-25-14 09:17 PM
    Would this Tip also apply to an OS7 device? If not, why not?
    Because os7 phones are usually frozen when you pull the battery

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 09:20 PM
    Because os7 phones are usually frozen when you pull the battery

Posted via CB10
    Good stuff. But seriously, assuming the os7 device is not frozen, is it a good idea to shut it down before pulling the battery? I actually had thought the opposite was true -- but maybe that is the source of my occasional problems. I am currently using a 9930 (sorry, guess I need to change my profile name). Have 3 batteries. Generally pull and change the battery every 24 hours. (I like to charge the battery in a stand alone battery charger -- so the device can stay mobile.) Please advise.
    05-25-14 09:29 PM
    Actually I have read several articles from Blackberry on this subject and they say that pulling the battery on a live Blackberry does no damage at all. In fact they are designed to do so. They do warn not to try that with any other phone on the market because they are not designed for it. I wish I could produce the url document but that was months ago. Reason they gave for them adding this to the phone was like any computer (and that is basically what this is) sometimes will lock the phone totally up. Even press holding the power button may not shutdown the phone. Then the only recourse is to in fact pull the power. This of course only applies to Blackberries with a removable battery. Also stated was that after removing the battery. You can force a total cold start by holding down the power button for 10sec. This drains all power remaining. This is an old PC tech trick too for PC's. UNPLUG THE AC FROM THE POWER SUPPLY FIRST. It will force a total cold start by draining the power supply and the mother board to zero volts. Thus called a total cold restart. This will fix a lot of PC issues. Seldom talked about and rarely known by the general public.. Techs want to keep it that way for their own quick fix. Charge you heaps by saying it was this or that and boy that took some labor time ($$$.$$) lol.. When in fact that is the first thing they did and it fixed your issue.. You would be surprised to know how often it fixes wacky problems on PC's.

Disclaimer: do this still as a last resort and at your own risk.

Akawarrior..

Posted Via : z10 STL100-3 (2947/2274)
    Last edited by akawarrior; 05-26-14 at 08:30 AM.
    Monsterlad, Uzi and eu gene like this.
    05-25-14 09:39 PM
    Actually I have read several articles from Blackberry on this subject and they say that pulling the battery on a live Blackberry does no damage at all. In fact they are designed to do so. They do warn not to try that with any other phone on the market because they are not designed for it. I wish I could produce the url document but that was months ago. Reason they gave for them adding this to the phone was like any computer (and that is basically what this is) sometimes will lock the phone totally up. Even press holding the power button may not shutdown the phone. Then the only recourse is to in fact pull the power. This of course only applies to Blackberries with a removable battery. Also stated was that after removing the battery. You can force a total cold start by holding down the power button for 10sec. This drains all power remaining. This is an old PC tech trick too for PC's. Unplug the AC from the power supply first. It will force a total cold start by draining the power supply and the mother board to zero volts. Thus called a total cold restart. This will fix a lot of PC issues. Seldom talked about and rarely known. They want to keep it that way. You would be surprised to know how often it fixes wacky problems on PC's.

Akawarrior..

NEVER DO THAT WITH YOUR PC. EVER. That's terribly detrimental to not only the hardware, but to the OS as well. The OS could be "frozen" but is still writing to the disc. That can cause corruption in the hard drive. Cutting your computer of power like this person stated can ruin PSU's, graphics cards, hard drives especially, and even the entire board. Never, EVER do that to a PC. As someone who has worked with PCs for a decade I can tell you this is a terrible "recommendation". If anything, as a total last resort, hold the power button on the front of your PC. It's a hard shutdown, but the OS will cease writing to the disk and prepare for shutdown no matter how "frozen" it appears to be.

TLDR: Never, EVER do as the post above recommended. It's unheard-of because it breaks things.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 10:39 PM
    I've never pulled my battery on my Z10 except when I switched my sim card. Holding both volume buttons for the restart fixed w.e needed fixing. What's the point??
    05-25-14 10:59 PM
    Because when writing, if power is erratic, the data being written could be corrupt. Same reason hardware raid needs battery.

This can be avoided by the way writes are done (like defragging does), or if they have a super cap, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-25-14 11:08 PM
    NEVER DO THAT WITH YOUR PC. EVER. That's terribly detrimental to not only the hardware, but to the OS as well. The OS could be "frozen" but is still writing to the disc. That can cause corruption in the hard drive. Cutting your computer of power like this person stated can ruin PSU's, graphics cards, hard drives especially, and even the entire board. Never, EVER do that to a PC. As someone who has worked with PCs for a decade I can tell you this is a terrible "recommendation". If anything, as a total last resort, hold the power button on the front of your PC. It's a hard shutdown, but the OS will cease writing to the disk and prepare for shutdown no matter how "frozen" it appears to be.

TLDR: Never, EVER do as the post above recommended. It's unheard-of because it breaks things.

Posted via CB10
    Evidently you didn't read the part about as a last resort and I have been in IS for over 34 years. It is well know by PC technicians the world over. I have done it myself over a thousand times. You unplug the AC first as I stated. The hard drive will do a spin down and park the heads like they are designed to do if the power goes off. Then it is quite safe to drain the power supply and mother board. In that state it is no more damaging then turning the PC on. Pfff.. lol

But still as I did state AS A LAST RESORT RECOVERY.. Get it. Geezer lighten up..

I think you thought I mentioned hold the power button and force power off with the AC still attached. Yes, that type of force down is called a forced hot shutdown and yes it can glitch the OS and or hard drive.

We are talking about apples and oranges at this point.. I'm done...

Akawarrior..

Last edited by akawarrior; 05-25-14 at 11:40 PM.
    05-25-14 11:29 PM
    Guys, please. Specifically for my 9930 in the ordinary course of simply changing the battery -- not frozen. Should I power down first?
    05-25-14 11:35 PM
    Guys, please. Specifically for my 9930 in the ordinary course of simply changing the battery -- not frozen. Should I power down first?
    Yes..

Akawarrior..

Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-25-14 11:41 PM
    Holding down the power button on a STL100-1 works to reset the phone.
    Holding down the vol up/dn buttons on a STL100-2,3,4 works.
    Holding down the power button on a STL 100-2,3,4 will get the phone extremely hot and discharge the battery very quickly and get it very hot also; not good.
    Actually I have read several articles from Blackberry on this subject and they say that pulling the battery on a live Blackberry does no damage at all. In fact they are designed to do so. They do warn not to try that with any other phone on the market because they are not designed for it. I wish I could produce the url document but that was months ago. Reason they gave for them adding this to the phone was like any computer (and that is basically what this is) sometimes will lock the phone totally up. Even press holding the power button may not shutdown the phone. Then the only recourse is to in fact pull the power. This of course only applies to Blackberries with a removable battery. Also stated was that after removing the battery. You can force a total cold start by holding down the power button for 10sec. This drains all power remaining. This is an old PC tech trick too for PC's. Unplug the AC from the power supply first. It will force a total cold start by draining the power supply and the mother board to zero volts. Thus called a total cold restart. This will fix a lot of PC issues. Seldom talked about and rarely known. They want to keep it that way. You would be surprised to know how often it fixes wacky problems on PC's.

Akawarrior..

05-26-14 01:27 AM
    The point is that some of us have more than 1 battery. Some of us like to change batteries from one with 20% life left. Some of us have pulled out the battery to switch them for a fully charged one and have had troubles after pulling the battery without shutting down the phone first. My point is: You can cause the phone to have issues pulling it out of a running phone. Unless the phone has frozen and there is absolutely no way to get it going again without yanking it out JUST DON'T DO IT.
    I've never pulled my battery on my Z10 except when I switched my sim card. Holding both volume buttons for the restart fixed w.e needed fixing. What's the point??
    velkod likes this.
    05-26-14 01:36 AM
    Yes, if it's running, shut it off if you can.
    Good stuff. But seriously, assuming the os7 device is not frozen, is it a good idea to shut it down before pulling the battery? I actually had thought the opposite was true -- but maybe that is the source of my occasional problems. I am currently using a 9930 (sorry, guess I need to change my profile name). Have 3 batteries. Generally pull and change the battery every 24 hours. (I like to charge the battery in a stand alone battery charger -- so the device can stay mobile.) Please advise.
    05-26-14 01:39 AM
    I switch my battery all the time without shutting it down... no issues. Anyone else have issues with this?

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    05-26-14 03:45 AM
    Holding down the power button on a STL100-1 works to reset the phone.
    Holding down the vol up/dn buttons on a STL100-2,3,4 works.
    Holding down the power button on a STL 100-2,3,4 will get the phone extremely hot and discharge the battery very quickly and get it very hot also; not good.

I said nothing about the power button on a phone except when the battery is already removed.. Note I didn't remotely insinuate to do so hot but it can be done to most Blackberry models if not all. I have no idea where you got that assumption that I was referring to a hot phone at the moment of my post. Sorry if you somehow got that from my comments..

Akswarrior..

Last edited by akawarrior; 05-26-14 at 08:38 AM.
    05-26-14 04:24 AM
    I said nothing about the power button on a phone. Note I didn't remotely insinuate to do so. I have no idea where you got that assumption that I did.. Sorry if you somehow got that from my comments..

Akswarrior..

The 7th post isn't yours? It may be interpreted by some to try holding down the power button to remedy a problem with the phone. Looks like that's what you said. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

05-26-14 04:31 AM
    I switch my battery all the time without shutting it down... no issues. Anyone else have issues with this?

Posted via CB10
    No, and I guess it might be possible to get a bad boot up but just restarting the phone with the power or volume buttons method will correct that. Never even heard of someone screwing up any Blackberry by pulling the battery live. Like I stated earlier from an article from Blackberry they are designed to do so..

Akawarrior..

05-26-14 04:34 AM
    The only time you would screw up your phone while removing the battery is while updating. Nothing else.
    05-26-14 04:50 AM
    The 7th post isn't yours? It may be interpreted by some to try holding down the power button to remedy a problem with the phone. Looks like that's what you said. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

I was referring to the battery being already removed. To drain any remaining voltage. The point being. If there is no power being applied to a phone or PC this method can be used without any harm being done. Thus starting up the operation from zero state. Because of the capacitance power held by internal electronic components it may have to be used to recover some error booted state. It happens with all complex electronics. TV's included.

Akawarrior...

kbz1960 likes this.
    05-26-14 04:56 AM
    Actually true, you need to shut down the BB10 before you pull the battery, I have a friend who repairs BlackBerry phones and laptops..... he has 2 or 3 Z10 for repair which got f###*d up because of this same reason.

Posted via CB10
    Sir, that would only be an assumption on your friends part. There is no way or even is it possible to say what was the direct cause of an electronic devices electronic failure. Other then being hit by lightning or some other direct physical damage.

Akawarrior..

05-26-14 05:10 AM
    Sir, that would only be an assumption on your friends part. There is no way or even is it possible to say what was the direct cause of an electronic devices electronic failure. Other then being hit by lightning or some other direct physical damage.

Akawarrior..

It wasn't mentioned if the problem was software or hardware.

If it got messed up software wise because of a live pull then it could possibly be a problem.

Imo the manufacturer cannot be the end all of knowledge on its own hardware, it's more these forums (larger sample size) that can attest to what MAY be better from trial and error in certain things.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 05:43 AM
    With any BB10 phone that has a removable battery, always shut down phone and wait for it to completely shut off past the black "BlackBerry" screen before pulling a battery. There is a good chance you will corrupt the os when pulling a battery on a running phone.

Proof or is it just your guess? Any link from BlackBerry advising this?

#believeinfilm
    akawarrior likes this.
    05-26-14 06:54 AM
    Proof or is it just your guess? Any link from BlackBerry advising this?

#believeinfilm
    Are there ever any official BlackBerry statements on things like this? I mean from engineers? Not sales people or people who have no clue?
    05-26-14 08:33 AM
38 12