I have been looking at getting a Blackberry as a replacement for my Treo 700p, on Verizon. I have had a blackberry in the past for work, and always liked them. The part that I need some advice on is which model should I lean towards. Verizon only has a few models available right now, with the Storm on the horizon. I am sure there will be a long wait for the Storm when it does become available.

I can pick up the Curve 8330 for free, with the new every 2 program. Or, I can hold out for a while and wait for the Strom, which will cost.

Thoughts?? Thanks.
    10-07-08 08:36 AM
    I actually just made that (almost) exact switch about a month ago. I had a Sprint 700p and moved to the Curve 8330. I can give you my experience with the Curve, although I can't speak for any of the other models.

The Curve is much smaller, I'd say about half as thick. It is a little quicker (noticeable, but not extreme IMO) when moving around, opening and closing apps, etc. The browser seems a bit quicker as well when surfing.

The biggest difference and the main reason why I switched is because of bluetooth. The bluetooth on the Treo was *awful* and since I use it a lot, it was a constant irritant. The Curve easily outshines the Treo here.

Otherwise, functionally they are very similar and both the Treo and Curve do pretty much everything I need including (obviously) phone, email, browsing, and the ability to add 3rd party apps.

The things I will miss the most is Documents to Go (until Sprint hopefully launches 4.5 OS) and KeySuite which was a replacement/addon for the default calendar, tasks, memo, etc apps. I haven't seen any equivalent yet for the BB.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Curve and would not go back. I still find myself touching the screen on occasion, but the menus and navigation were very easy to pickup. If you click/roll/push whatever makes the most sense to you is usually the right thing to click/roll/push. Very intuitive.

Hope that helps...
    10-07-08 10:08 AM
    I have been looking at getting a Blackberry as a replacement for my Treo 700p, on Verizon. I have had a blackberry in the past for work, and always liked them. The part that I need some advice on is which model should I lean towards. Verizon only has a few models available right now, with the Storm on the horizon. I am sure there will be a long wait for the Storm when it does become available.

I can pick up the Curve 8330 for free, with the new every 2 program. Or, I can hold out for a while and wait for the Strom, which will cost.

Thoughts?? Thanks.
    Why would there be a long wait for the Storm? This is not the iPhone. When it comes out, you will be able to purchase it. It's that simple.

That being said, this all comes down to what you want and need. The 8330 is an amazing device, and free is an amazing price any way you slice it. However, the Storm will have vast improvements as opposed to the Curve. My suggestion would be that you research both phones, compare, and see which fits your needs the best. Good luck!
    10-07-08 10:13 AM
    OR: you could always go with the Curve right now - with the extended all-inclusive warranty plan for 6 bucks a month, then when the Storm comes out & if you try & like it - just have your Curve meet with an unfortunate "accident". Two in the back of the brainpan should suffice, or whatever.

All kidding aside, If you could hang in there another few weeks, there is heavy speculation the Storm should be out beginning of November. I'd wait until then, and go try one on for size at your local Verizon store - as jenaywins mentions, there should be ample enough to go 'round.
    10-07-08 10:31 AM
    The things I will miss the most is Documents to Go (until Sprint hopefully launches 4.5 OS) and KeySuite which was a replacement/addon for the default calendar, tasks, memo, etc apps. I haven't seen any equivalent yet for the BB.
    Actually, there are official versions of 4.5 out there that come with Docs To Go. I know the official MTS Mobility version of 4.5.56 did and it ran great on my 8330.

If you aren't willing to upgrade your OS, you can also buy it here:

Documents To Go - Use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Other Files on your Smartphone or PDA
    Last edited by 1 2 MaNy; 10-07-08 at 10:40 AM.
    10-07-08 10:38 AM
    Free is an amazing price...I should know,thats what I got my Curve for after wasting my time restarting my treo 755p four or more times a day,VZW hooked me up and the data plan was cheaper.
    10-07-08 10:50 AM
    Here is another option for you. Go ahead and get the Curve now, and if you fall in love with it and lose interest in the Storm, keep it. If after a while you still really want the Storm, take it back to Verizon within 30 days and exchange it for the Storm (if it's out by then), or go back to your Treo for however long it takes for the Storm to arrive. If you take your phone back within the 30 days you should still be able to get the Storm when it comes out for your "new every two". Either way, you get the best of both worlds!
    10-07-08 10:53 AM
    Here is another option for you. Go ahead and get the Curve now, and if you fall in love with it and lose interest in the Storm, keep it. If after a while you still really want the Storm, take it back to Verizon within 30 days and exchange it for the Storm (if it's out by then), or go back to your Treo for however long it takes for the Storm to arrive. If you take your phone back within the 30 days you should still be able to get the Storm when it comes out for your "new every two". Either way, you get the best of both worlds!
    10-07-08 10:59 AM
    I appreciate all of the input. I just have to decide if I want to wait a few weeks in the hopes that the Storm comes out in Nov so that I can check it out first hand. I will admit that while the draws of the Storm "iPhone like" screen size is really nice, I am not a fan of it's touch screen keyboard. Which is what makes me a little hesitant of the Storm keyboard. I like to be able to feel the keys.

It's good to heard that the Curve is a good replacement for the Treo.

Decisions, decisions.....
    10-07-08 11:35 AM
    My buddy has the Treo 700wx or whatever. I don't see how he stands it. WinMob is just horrible. Maybe if I know how to navigate it better. I like a phone that you can pick up and pretty much just use it.

The Curve is a good replacement for a Treo. The Storm right at launch is going to be very pricey. You are looking at probably a good $250 even with the New2 discount.
    10-07-08 11:43 AM
    Thanks for all of the advise. I decided to pull the trigger on a purchase, and ordered the Curve 8330 online. I hope to have it by the weekend so I can set it up. Any recommendations to add on software or themes? I will miss eWallet and Snapper mail on my Treo, but can't wait to join the Blackberry family.

10-07-08 12:46 PM
    My buddy has the Treo 700wx or whatever. I don't see how he stands it. WinMob is just horrible. Maybe if I know how to navigate it better. I like a phone that you can pick up and pretty much just use it.

The Curve is a good replacement for a Treo. The Storm right at launch is going to be very pricey. You are looking at probably a good $250 even with the New2 discount.
    When the Treo 700wx came out with VZW the price was over $300 even after the rebate, 'new every 2,' and my corporate discount.
    10-07-08 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD