HI everyone,

Time is approaching where i am eligable for an upgrade of my 8900 curve. This has been my first BB and overall i am very happy with it. What i like is its efficiency, i can find a contact fast and email or txt then easily.

my only gripe is the maps (which i never use), the trackball (has its moments), but maily the internet experience. Very slow and i cannot play youtube videos nomatter what help i have had.

Question is, do i upgrade to the 9700, or storm. Or do i sack BB ang divert to a nokia or iphone?

If anyone who owns a 9700/storm canhelp that would be great.

Kind regards

Pete
    02-17-10 03:50 AM
    HI, there are a LOT of threads touting the strengths of the 9700. For me personally, Ive owned almost every model of berry made and by far the 9700 is absolutely the best. Ultimately it up to you.
    02-17-10 06:06 AM
    I might get bashed for this, but try Android. I am a current tour user and an android user, I will be giving up my tour. Although the bb has lots of strengths there are also many weaknesses. My Android device, using Gmail sometimes gets the mail before the bb. I'm very surprised by that. The typing on a software keyboard is much more difficult than on the tour's physical keyboard. But the Storm also has an onscreen keyboard. The app selection on Android is amazing and has to be the main reason for my switch from bb. I will certainly miss my tour, but there are something I won't miss about it.

Good Luck with your Decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 06:41 AM
    Agreed with the above poster, the Internet experience is far superior on a number of other phones.

02-17-10 06:48 AM
    I know what your situation is. I have had all 3 BlackBerries. I've tried so many other devices but none of them do it for me. I always come back to BlackBerry. I currently keep my 8300 as a backup and my daily phones are the 9520 and 9700. They're great phones. You just need to see what you like the most. The 9700 is an awesome device but the screen is a little small. I love the storm os but battery life isn't the greatest for me (I have 18 hour days). But the storm2 is a top notch messaging device and a touch phone. It's OS is way better than the storm1s when they shipped. The 9700 is the messaging king. If you want a change then get the storm2, if you want a very solid message oriented device may I recommend the bold2. They both will get the new browser so no worries there and they both have 3G. I personally can't wait for a storm slider :P hehe.

I love both devices. I can't sell one or the other. I can type with better accuracy with the bold but the huge screen on the storm2 is just fantastic. Battery life on the bold2 is also very very awesome.

02-17-10 06:51 AM
    What you need to think about is what is most important to you. Do you love having a strong messaging phone, or is a richer multimedia experience what you feel is more important. The BB platform is the best messaging platform out there, hands down. Quick, easy e-mail access, instant delivery on virtually all e-mail clients, BBM, SMS and MMS, they just message better than any other, but like you noted, the web browsing leaves alot to be desired, and youtube videos don't look as good as they do on certain other devices (I know you said you can't load them, I had a hard time loading youtube videos when I had an EDGE device, have you done it using WiFi?)

If a nice web browsing experience is what you crave, I'd look at an Android phone. The web browsing on those is really nice, renders web pages very nicely, fairly easy to navigate. Plus, with an Android device, it comes pre loaded with Google Maps, which is a fantastic app (which they also offer for BB as a free download, just do you know).
    02-17-10 07:58 AM
    I don't get it. What does it mean to be the "Best Messaging" phone? I feel all smart phones are now good at this. Unless you are on BES which gives you the ability to have a little better messaging, with the ability to have a more secure device in case of theft of loss. Just wipe the device and lock.

The messaging inside Blackberry is horrible. Nothing scales right and attachments are not that great. The maps are horrible even Google Maps isn't that great on a BlackBerry. I think RIM needs to do a Reboot of it's OS in order to keep ahead of the curve as they did many years ago. As it stands right now there are too many better choices out there just to stick with something that supposedly has a "better messaging" which no one seems to qualify with "how it's better".

I think the best way to answer your own question is What do you want your smart phone to do and then pick the one that does most of it. None of them will do all of it.
    02-17-10 08:29 AM
    HI everyone,

Time is approaching where i am eligable for an upgrade of my 8900 curve. This has been my first BB and overall i am very happy with it. What i like is its efficiency, i can find a contact fast and email or txt then easily.

my only gripe is the maps (which i never use), the trackball (has its moments), but maily the internet experience. Very slow and i cannot play youtube videos nomatter what help i have had.

Question is, do i upgrade to the 9700, or storm. Or do i sack BB ang divert to a nokia or iphone?

If anyone who owns a 9700/storm canhelp that would be great.

Kind regards

Pete
    Any browser lagging I ever had with BB, was the same on every BB I had wherever I may have been....

and I've had just about every BB made in the last 2 years.. If browsing is your issue, the iPhone is the way to go... other than the fact it lacks java, it's fast and you wont be let down
    02-17-10 11:29 AM
    There are tons of threads praising and bashing the 9700, the Storm, the Droid, etc. You cannot go by what you read here and the very last thing to do is make a decision like this based on "the most posts" extolling or bashing, a device. Bottom line is, they all have their fans and their detractors and only YOU can decide what is best for you. It's naive to think that posting a "what should I get" thread is going to be accurate or useful. Read professional reviews of all the devices that interest you, visit the stores and play with them...then go back and play with them again, compare specs, etc. and then YOU make the decision as to what is best for YOU. Period.
    02-17-10 11:34 AM
    Any browser lagging I ever had with BB, was the same on every BB I had wherever I may have been....

and I've had just about every BB made in the last 2 years.. If browsing is your issue, the iPhone is the way to go... other than the fact it lacks java, it's fast and you wont be let down
    You're comparing a 2G phone to a 3G iPhone. Youtube experience on a 3G Blackberry is just as great. Web browsing, I would say the iPhone wins this round be I wouldn't say it's that behind from the iPhone browser. When BB webkit browser comes out this year, the whole web experience will be even better.
    02-17-10 02:00 PM
    I don't get it. What does it mean to be the "Best Messaging" phone? I feel all smart phones are now good at this. Unless you are on BES which gives you the ability to have a little better messaging, with the ability to have a more secure device in case of theft of loss. Just wipe the device and lock.

The messaging inside Blackberry is horrible. Nothing scales right and attachments are not that great. The maps are horrible even Google Maps isn't that great on a BlackBerry. I think RIM needs to do a Reboot of it's OS in order to keep ahead of the curve as they did many years ago. As it stands right now there are too many better choices out there just to stick with something that supposedly has a "better messaging" which no one seems to qualify with "how it's better".

I think the best way to answer your own question is What do you want your smart phone to do and then pick the one that does most of it. None of them will do all of it.
    Well, can you let me know what competitors offer a better messaging device/platform than the BlackBerry? If it's your opinion that the BlackBerry's messaging capabilities aren't very good, I'd like to know who's are better and why you feel that way, because I personally do not agree.
    02-17-10 02:08 PM
    You're comparing a 2G phone to a 3G iPhone. Youtube experience on a 3G Blackberry is just as great. Web browsing, I would say the iPhone wins this round be I wouldn't say it's that behind from the iPhone browser. When BB webkit browser comes out this year, the whole web experience will be even better.

No I am basing my comments based on hands on experience on the 9550 and the 9630 respectfully...
    02-17-10 02:28 PM
    Well, can you let me know what competitors offer a better messaging device/platform than the BlackBerry? If it's your opinion that the BlackBerry's messaging capabilities aren't very good, I'd like to know who's are better and why you feel that way, because I personally do not agree.
    I'm with you on this one...even iphone and droid users that I know admit BB has them beat in this area. I currently manage multiple email accts (including an outlook exp) and the push speed has always been almost immediate...BB wins the gold medal in messaging!

02-17-10 08:43 PM
    I only partially agree, the only edge BB has is BBM, but until the 5.0 OS came out.. the iPhone led with the threaded messaging
    02-17-10 10:52 PM
    I have an iPhone 3GS for my personal phone and a BB 9630 for work. If you value the Internet, media, or the UI, get an iPhone. If you primarily use email and BBM and prefer a fixed keyboard go with the 9700 as those are it's key strengths.

02-17-10 11:12 PM
    It's still all a personal choice. I've messed with so many iPhones, I keep TRYING to like it, but it does not, nor has it ever, thrill me (and even before I used any other touch screens). I will admit that it was the iPhone display though, that first attracted me. As a photogapher, the ability to carry sample photos on my card (oh, wait, no card on the Iphone) and show to poetntial customers, was an instant "I gotta have" for me. I just couldn't handle switching over to ATT though. The temptation was strong but fortunately, other touch screens began to emerge. I'm not going to repeat the AD NAUSEAM comparisons, and I know I'm only fueling it, but really, I am not certain the comparisons you make are the sole--or even primary--differences. And how to weight the differences, is even more difficult. That is why I rail so hard on these type of threads.

I have an iPhone 3GS for my personal phone and a BB 9630 for work. If you value the Internet, media, or the UI, get an iPhone. If you primarily use email and BBM and prefer a fixed keyboard go with the 9700 as those are it's key strengths.

02-17-10 11:24 PM
    It's still all a personal choice. I've messed with so many iPhones, I keep TRYING to like it, but it does not, nor has it ever, thrill me (and even before I used any other touch screens). I will admit that it was the iPhone display though, that first attracted me. As a photogapher, the ability to carry sample photos on my card (oh, wait, no card on the Iphone) and show to poetntial customers, was an instant "I gotta have" for me. I just couldn't handle switching over to ATT though. The temptation was strong but fortunately, other touch screens began to emerge. I'm not going to repeat the AD NAUSEAM comparisons, and I know I'm only fueling it, but really, I am not certain the comparisons you make are the sole--or even primary--differences. And how to weight the differences, is even more difficult. That is why I rail so hard on these type of threads.
    I think you're spot on. Each user is different and weighs different strengths and weaknesses when making a purchase. I'm just stating my opinion.

02-18-10 12:13 AM
    I think you should try out another phone like android, etc.. and if you don't like it just return it. Just got the droid today and its the best decision I've made.

02-18-10 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD