And RIM's customers are the carriers don't forget. They won't bite the hand that feeds them.
    01-07-12 03:21 PM
    But the post was saying RIM needs to be talking about data compression
    I know, I was just responding to that post about carriers building out more infrastructure and data compression can allow them to still have more subscribers. I was just saying I don't think carriers would push for it because I doubt they care if they can make more money off data plans.

RIM should definitely be pushing compression. Especially for those who are really concerned about their data caps.
    01-07-12 05:20 PM
    I love my unlimited data plan! I use about 1-2GB on my BlackBerry. My Android was 5-6GB. That's with tethering too.

If VZW offered a data plan at 2GB for say, $15, I'd jump on that! I pay $30 now for unlimited.

Data compression is great for new users on a limited plan.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-07-12 at 05:26 PM.
    01-07-12 05:24 PM
    But as I mentioned..that $10 for 500Mbs is going to cost $20 anyways for the extra charge for using BIS. So its pretty much a wash..
    Maybe that's the real reason Rim is not doing well in USA, in UK all data plans cost the same on all platforms, you can get prepay BIS for �5 a month with 500mb included.
    01-07-12 06:07 PM
    I'm not seeing any BlackBerry commercials on TV. Where's the consistency
    01-07-12 06:11 PM
    But as I mentioned..that $10 for 500Mbs is going to cost $20 anyways for the extra charge for using BIS. So its pretty much a wash..
    What Carrier Charges $10 for BIS access ontop of the data plan?
    I that isn't the case for the Big 3 in Canada,

If the $10 surcharge is applied I agree, the cost savings of getting a BB and a 500mb plan over Android and a 1GB plan become non existant
    01-07-12 08:29 PM
    I know, I was just responding to that post about carriers building out more infrastructure and data compression can allow them to still have more subscribers. I was just saying I don't think carriers would push for it because I doubt they care if they can make more money off data plans.

RIM should definitely be pushing compression. Especially for those who are really concerned about their data caps.
    Carrier care too in areas with explosive population growth, in consistently population dense areas they have the towers to support, but in areas with population spikes the compression means more users connected and happy with their service, as there is only so much bandwidth available per tower, as well as connections ideally they want to stay just before the threshold of dropping calls and delayed emails

From a 1 on 1 consumer point of view, they can just charge more, but they need to know they'll recoup capital investments, RIM can help that better than other players since data usage and price paid is not linear
    01-07-12 08:34 PM
    What Carrier Charges $10 for BIS access ontop of the data plan?
    I that isn't the case for the Big 3 in Canada,

If the $10 surcharge is applied I agree, the cost savings of getting a BB and a 500mb plan over Android and a 1GB plan become non existant
    I'm on Telus..and when I activated my BB..I was required to get a BB data plan..which was more expensive than the normal plan. When I cancelled it..I was saving $10/month. Can't speak for Rogers or Bell..but I assume they'd be the same.
    01-07-12 08:59 PM
    Not gonna lie, compression is nice and seems a lot of people don't realize BB'S do this. I was as heavy browsing on my 9700 as I am on my mytouch4G and I am close to 2 gigs a month with the mytouch and with my Berry I was at my highest 750mb's, which was crazy as I am on wifi a lot!

Definitely think RIM should implement this more into their marketing/advertising ....

I don't really care much as I am as unlimited as you can get, but never know when that may change!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    01-07-12 09:17 PM
    I'm on Telus..and when I activated my BB..I was required to get a BB data plan..which was more expensive than the normal plan. When I cancelled it..I was saving $10/month. Can't speak for Rogers or Bell..but I assume they'd be the same.
    And if you switched back you would be charged $10/more

On Telus I can get be it a BlackBerry or an Android phone
    200 Minutes, 500MB for $50/Month

I have seen savings be had as Data plan costs have gone down in Canada over the last 3 or so years, especially in areas where Wind or Mobilicity are penetrating
    01-07-12 09:46 PM
    The extra amount of money that the carriers charge you to use BIS would offset any extra you're paying for data.
    Are you sure you're not confusing BIS with BES plans? On ATT, BB BIS plans are the same cost as data for other devices. It is only Enterprise plans that cost more.
    01-07-12 10:14 PM
    Sprint and T-Mobile charge $10 extra for BIS here in the United States. So if you get the unlimited everything plan for Sprint for $79.99, you will pay $89.99 if you get a Blackberry.
    Last edited by vtpmt81; 01-07-12 at 11:44 PM.
    01-07-12 11:41 PM
    Data compression, yeah! I'm very happy I even have a blackberry because of that. RIM could use that in that in their advertising. I'll be tweeting to them about it.
    01-08-12 03:07 AM
    Sprint and T-Mobile charge $10 extra for BIS here in the United States. So if you get the unlimited everything plan for Sprint for $79.99, you will pay $89.99 if you get a Blackberry.
    I just looked at Sprint and Unlimited everything is $99, the $10 charge applies to all smartphones:

"Next, you'll pick a device for each plan before you can place your order. If you pick a smartphone, our $10 Premium Data add-on charge will apply. Changes coming to mobile broadband plans (does not apply to phone plans). Visit sprint.com/servicechange."

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop...V=ATG:HE:Plans

Huge rip off if you ask me.
    01-08-12 03:44 AM
    Can you please provide links, or screen shots, because I can not duplicate the added cost on line between an Android Phone, and a BlackBerry Phone having different cost data plans
    01-08-12 07:06 AM
    I'm on TMO in the states and there is no additional charge for BIS data. Data costs the same whether I use android, bb or windows.
    01-08-12 07:36 AM
    Same cost on uscellular. It doesn't cost more for a bb.
    01-08-12 08:05 AM
    I just looked at Sprint and Unlimited everything is $99, the $10 charge applies to all smartphones:

"Next, you'll pick a device for each plan before you can place your order. If you pick a smartphone, our $10 Premium Data add-on charge will apply. Changes coming to mobile broadband plans (does not apply to phone plans). Visit sprint.com/servicechange."

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop...V=ATG:HE:Plans

Huge rip off if you ask me.
    I just checked you are correct. When I was shopping carriers a few years ago I was told I would have to pay 10 dollars extra for Blackberry Infernet Services - Keep in mind that this was before the Android craze.

Sorry to spread false info.

This also why I use a regional carrier. My smartphone bill is a solo account for less than 70 bucks a month with unlimited data. The only bummer is the data speeds aren't great.
    01-08-12 08:10 AM
    I just checked you are correct. When I was shopping carriers a few years ago I was told I would have to pay 10 dollars extra for Blackberry Infernet Services - Keep in mind that this was before the Android craze.

Sorry to spread false info.

This also why I use a regional carrier. My smartphone bill is a solo account for less than 70 bucks a month with unlimited data. The only bummer is the data speeds aren't great.
    No worries, that's another problem with BB, people assume things haven't changed, they think the browser is still slow, there's no apps, data plans more expensive etc, that is no longer the case. BB OS7 is amazing in my opinion.
    01-08-12 08:35 AM
    No worries, that's another problem with BB, people assume things haven't changed, they think the browser is still slow, there's no apps, data plans more expensive etc, that is no longer the case. BB OS7 is amazing in my opinion.
    I don't think RIM is dead at all. I bought my parents a Playbook for Christmas. RIM has pretty much fixed its hardware issues with OS7 and QNX (the 9900/30 and Playbook are beautiful devices). Software is the only thing holding them back but I have faith and anyone that used a playbook probably does as well. RIM is making a push to improve development so I am excited to see what EIM has store for OS2 and BB10.
    catberryday likes this.
    01-08-12 10:14 AM
    extra charge for using BIS ? I'm also with Telus and dont have an 'extra' charge for BIS. Also, my price plan is same as that used by my daughter and her iPhone.
    01-08-12 10:46 AM
    Data Compresssion is awesome.

BlackBerry - DataSmart Technology - Smart Data Usage - DataSmart Smartphones

This is always my reference!!
    01-08-12 12:55 PM
    I think the costumers don�t care, including me....
    01-08-12 12:58 PM
    Truncated email by the way, is why i love bb. hate to see all junk emails fully downloaded to my bb.

i use the same data plan 3 Gb on both my bb9810+pb and galaxy tab, with normal usage (email, web browsing, youtube) per month, my galaxy tab max out all the 3Gb in 2 weeks where else 9810+pb used less then 2Gb/month. I thought I use my 9810+pb more.

Don't know about iphone though since i have iphone 3g only.
    01-08-12 01:10 PM
    I think the costumers don�t care, including me....
    And like I always say, companies aspire to appease the "costumer" demographic.
    01-08-12 01:16 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD