Just read this on BGR and it makes me think just how much more data efficient my BB is:

iPhone 4S owners consume almost twice as much data as iPhone 4 users iPhone 4S owners consume almost twice as much data as iPhone 4 users
    01-07-12 05:07 AM
    They do. Well, not as much as say BBM, but Mike L had a nice talk about this last year http://crackberry.com/mike-lazaridis...world-congress

It's kinda funny that I found this thread because I ran over my 2GB last month
    I'm usually well under my limit but I watched too much Netflix when my internet went down LOL!!!

~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~
    01-07-12 05:21 AM
    Data compression allows all three of our house phones to run on the cheapest A$$ plan. They get too much money anyway and we can manage nicely with BB phones and low end data plans so far.
    01-07-12 05:28 AM
    i think this was talked about already...
    01-07-12 05:30 AM
    i think this was talked about already...

Yes but long ago, they need to remind people
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-07-12 05:31 AM
    lol OK just makeing sure im not crazy or anything LOL
    01-07-12 05:34 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ay-not-686394/

I have an unlimited data plan so I don't care either way.
    01-07-12 05:39 AM
    Why? So we can deal truncated mail and wait for images to download before viewing.

'Data' is essentially free and seemingly endless, it's the carriers who put mafia prices on it and create FUD in attempts to get more of your money ...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-07-12 10:05 AM
    Eh, I get 5gb (before throttle, it's really "unlimited") high speed data, unlimited text, and 100 voice minutes (10 cents for each minute over, and I rarely go over) for $30 on T-Mo for my HTC Amaze. I typically am under 2gb on a typical billing cycle, and I stream Netflix, TuneIn, browse the web, and send and receive hundreds of emails and IMs. For my BB, it's on prepaid and I plunk down the minimum to keep my service going and mainly have it on wifi. Data compression isn't really a big deal for my needs.
    01-07-12 10:46 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ay-not-686394/

I have an unlimited data plan so I don't care either way.
    Most of us do not have unlimited data plans but in any case data compression allows wireless carriers to support more subscribers without building out their infrastructure to handle the additional usage.
    01-07-12 10:53 AM
    Data compression and Bridge are why carriers push Android and IOS. Those 2 technologies are great for us consumers, terrible for the carriers.
    01-07-12 11:09 AM
    It all depends on the type of data used on a Blackberry. I mostly stream audio and download podcasts. That isn't compressed. I usually average around 3.5GB/month.
    01-07-12 12:20 PM
    Data compression and Bridge are why carriers push Android and IOS. Those 2 technologies are great for us consumers, terrible for the carriers.
    I agree completely.
    01-07-12 12:28 PM
    It all depends on the type of data used on a Blackberry. I mostly stream audio and download podcasts. That isn't compressed. I usually average around 3.5GB/month.
    It's still compressed a bit, I downloaded a 25mb podcast using 19mb of data.
    01-07-12 12:44 PM
    Why? So we can deal truncated mail and wait for images to download before viewing.

'Data' is essentially free and seemingly endless, it's the carriers who put mafia prices on it and create FUD in attempts to get more of your money ...
    Compression has nothing to do with truncation.

And please explain about downloading images? All phones have to download images in html emails, you mean doing it manually? Again, nothing to do with compression.
    01-07-12 12:46 PM
    It's still compressed a bit, I downloaded a 25mb podcast using 19mb of data.
    iOS will not even allow users to download podcasts that big unless using WiFi.
    01-07-12 12:48 PM
    iOS will not even allow users to download podcasts that big unless using WiFi.
    Really? This was downloading trough the browser (something iOS can't do at all anyway) and had two options, stream or download.
    01-07-12 12:50 PM
    Any potential new customer getting ready to sign a contract could be extremely interested in compression. RIM completely fails to capitalize on that.

Saying "I have unlimited data so who cares" is beyond stupid. Advertising isn't for people who are already signed up.
    TgeekB and Dapper37 like this.
    01-07-12 12:59 PM
    Data compression isn't important to most people in the United States because most people don't use over 2 GB of data per month (Verizon, T-Mobile, and At&t). Sprint people have unlimited data plans.
    01-07-12 01:32 PM
    If a person can get 2GB of data per month for $30..why would they be concerned about data compression anyways? Unless you're streaming constantly that's a fair bit of data. Unless you consider roaming charges..I don't see much benefit for data compression. The extra amount of money that the carriers charge you to use BIS would offset any extra you're paying for data.

If I went back to a BB data plan, with my current plan, I'd have to pay an extra $10/month. No thanks..
    01-07-12 01:45 PM
    Data compression isn't important to most people in the United States because most people don't use over 2 GB of data per month (Verizon, T-Mobile, and At&t). Sprint people have unlimited data plans.
    Since when, does advertising, always contain things people will always use. Sprint is how much of RIM's buisness?
    01-07-12 01:49 PM
    Most of us do not have unlimited data plans but in any case data compression allows wireless carriers to support more subscribers without building out their infrastructure to handle the additional usage.
    I understand that. I doubt carriers will really start to push data compression. The more you use the more money they make.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-07-12 at 02:12 PM.
    01-07-12 02:08 PM
    I understand that. I doubt carriers will really start to push data compression. The more you use the more money they make.
    But the post was saying RIM needs to be talking about data compression,

Really I think RIM needs to discuss data compression using a consumer commercial (not sure how I'd address it yet) + a Longer YouTube Video with more detail + downloadable PDF file with details of compression

That gives a CTO and the consumer ways to learn more about stuff the carriers might not be telling them,

YES you could spend $30 for 6GB of data, or you could spend $20 for 1GB of data, or $10 for 500MB of data, and to the person not on a tight budget the 6GB plan is a big deal, but if the difference between getting data and not is knowing you could go all month pretty easily on 500MB with a BlackBerry then it helps the lower end consumer / teenage get the BlackBerry

The Carrier will try and squeeze every penny they can out of you, RIM can show people that they can save money.
    pantlesspenguin, TgeekB and CDM76 like this.
    01-07-12 02:37 PM

YES you could spend $30 for 6GB of data, or you could spend $20 for 1GB of data, or $10 for 500MB of data, and to the person not on a tight budget the 6GB plan is a big deal, but if the difference between getting data and not is knowing you could go all month pretty easily on 500MB with a BlackBerry then it helps the lower end consumer / teenage get the BlackBerry

The Carrier will try and squeeze every penny they can out of you, RIM can show people that they can save money.
    But as I mentioned..that $10 for 500Mbs is going to cost $20 anyways for the extra charge for using BIS. So its pretty much a wash..
    01-07-12 03:01 PM
    Since when, does advertising, always contain things people will always use. Sprint is how much of RIM's buisness?
    RIM is stepping up it's advertisements in the united states market. The average american doesn't care about data compression because it doesn't matter so it doesn't make since for RIM to use this right now.
    01-07-12 03:19 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD