My Curve 8330 is now 3+ years old and the OS (4.5) is 3 versions old, and I'm wondering if it's time to move on. I should say that the Sprint salesman sold me on a BB on the basis of battery life--my top issue--and I've been more than happy on that score. I'm anything but a power user--a typical day might be a call or two, maybe a couple texts, and some time web surfing and checking email. I don't need or care about music, videos (either taking or watching), and even the pretty poor camera is adequate for my needs. I haven't really kept up with what's changed in BBs, so I could really use some advice about whether an upgrade makes sense. As you can probably guess, I'm not a person who routinely upgrades every year just to have the latest toy--for me, it has to do something that I can't currently do to be worthing plunking down the $$$.

The biggest issue I have with the Curve is email. I don't have access to a BES server, and I can't tolerate BIS, so I have to pay $50-60/year for NotifySync to get my Exchange-based company email. It works, but it has the occasional hiccup, and it's not fully integrated. But I don't suppose that's any different with newer BBs, right? So I'd have to go to another platform to get direct Exchange integration, but then I'd lose the great battery life.

The other issue is, of course, the web browser--is it better in 7?

The 8330 doesn't have wi-fi; but would I really use it for my needs?

I've never tried a soft-touch keypad, but I rather doubt I'd prefer it to the Curve's keyboard. Even with my XL hands, it works pretty well for me, and I like the ability to do things with one hand if I need to. Is that possible with a touchscreen?

A small thing, but I've always been frustrated with the very small clock--it's a pain to have to put on my glasses to see it. I'd love a clock app like my son has on his HTC Evo. (But there's no way I'd put up with the battery life problems he has).

So....I feel sort of like I have a Pentium running Windows 95. But for the most part, it gets the job done. Am I overlooking something that would make an upgrade to a newer device worthwhile? (To add to the dilemma, my phone is grandfathered in Sprint's "unlimited" plan, but if I get a new smartphone I guess I need to pay an extra $10 a month for the smartphone data plan. What a ripoff for a user like me!)

Thanks for any advice from you who know BBs much better than I!
    09-15-11 01:00 AM
    The Curve 8330 was the first BB that I owned (I did use a few other models prior to buying myself one), and I fell in love ever since.

I just loved the way it feels when you hold the device. I have the Curve 9330 "3G" with Sprint. It feels pretty nice in my particular hands (compared to a bold or a Torch or your run of the mill smartphone), but not as much as the Curve 8330. It just felt so sturdy, built solid like a tank. The newer BB's I feel like I have to somewhat baby them...

You and I are somewhat opposites. I like having the latest tech gadgets. Not because I'm one to be a label-***** or because I like to keep up with the Jones (or out run them for that matter); I like having the newest tech gadgets because I love seeing what they can do and pushing the limits of the norm. Plainly put: I'm a nerd and like shiny new things that can do things to make me say, "Oh, that's neat-o!"

However, I am exactly like you in the sense that a phone is primarily a tool, and if there isn't much difference in utility then why spend money?

To be honest, if I could do it over again, I would've held onto my Curve 8330 and skipped OS6 and the Curve 3G and just upgraded straight to the Bold 9930 or new Curve (whatever model number it is now...) But as the saying goes, hindsight is always 20/20...

- Looking at your main issues, upgrading might be in your best interest. If you can't stand BIS and email is the biggest issue, then you should switch.

- The browser experience is much better with OS7 in my opinion; it's noticeably faster/smoother.

- Wifi wouldn't make much a difference for you in your particular situation. The only thing I can see wifi being a big deal is if you download a ton of apps and watch movies or stream music (Pandora, Slacker radio, BBMusic, etc.) But if you're not doing any of these then it doesn't really matter. However, having wifi will of course increase speed on the browser...

- Touch screen keypad? No-way-Jose. Not in my book. The 8330's keyboard was one of the main things I fell in love with with BB. I wouldn't give up a physical keyboard for nothin'.

- New BB's have several clock interfaces to choose from, which take up the whole screen and have options to automatically turn on (and stay on) when being charged. Nice feature.

So yes, I would recommend you switch. I would suggest you get the Curve with the physical keyboard because that will make you feel right at home when you switch over. OS7 is new enough to keep you interested, but familiar enough to where you wont feel lost and too far from 4.5 There's no reason for you to wait for the new QNX devices either. Besides, you don't really use much media/data intense stuff, so the great specs of the Bold 9930 won't be much use for you, and you're not used to a touchscreen anyway... Besides, the new Curves perform better than the Bold 97xx series of devices...

Just ask yourself, is solving your email/BIS problem worth $10 a month? That's what it seems to me is your biggest concern...
    Last edited by jranciano; 09-15-11 at 02:46 AM.
    p1800nut likes this.
    09-15-11 02:42 AM
    OP...here is the best advice you're ever gonna get. Go get a bold 9900/9930. I had an 8330 at one time myself, loved it. But this is a whole new world!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 06:26 AM
    You will love the the new bold coming from the 8330. You will amazed at the difference in the two devices and the speed is great!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-15-11 08:13 AM
    If you can wait and if you want a new Curve, Sprint pushed back the launch of the re-re-release of the new Curve until October I think. Personally, I'm a touch screen gal myself.
    09-15-11 08:22 AM
    OP...here is the best advice you're ever gonna get. Go get a bold 9900/9930. I had an 8330 at one time myself, loved it. But this is a whole new world!

You will love the the new bold coming from the 8330. You will amazed at the difference in the two devices and the speed is great!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

The new Bolds are great devices. However, the OP stated he's not in need nor has much desire for the latest tech gadgets. Also, cost is a prime factor with the OP.

The new Curves already outperform the leading OS6 Bold devices and every other BB prior to the Bold 9900/9930. The new Curve is PLENTY of performance upgrade but at a much, much lower cost than the new Bold.

OP, if you've waited this long to upgrade phones, might as well just wait for the new Curve with keyboard to release on Sprint. You would still get a great performing device and be much more smoother/faster than what you're currently using and save you more money than upgrading to the Bold.
    Last edited by jranciano; 09-15-11 at 01:08 PM.
    krishubby and kbill1984 like this.
    09-15-11 01:06 PM
    New Curve? This wouldn't be the 8530 would it? (I'm on Sprint) because it has been out for some time--i own one

09-15-11 05:12 PM
    No, new curve as in the one that got pushed back for Sprint.

9370/9360/9350

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/23/r...y-curve-video/
    09-15-11 07:05 PM
    Sounds like the 9350 that's coming out will be the best choice for the OP.
    09-15-11 08:05 PM
    If it aint broke...if you're not looking for the "newest"...the Bold and OS7 are GREAT...its the best keyboard there is (IMO)...the NEW (not out yet) Curve 93xx Berries look great...I LOVED my 8330...and my 8530...if price IS a concern the Curves are the BEST BET...BUT...IF it aint broke...why worry

09-15-11 08:10 PM
    OP, I myself have just upgraded from an 8330. I was holding out for this Bold 9930 for a year, and I can honestly say, I don't miss my 8330 one bit, besides the battery life. Though its not HORRIBLE on the 9930 its not as good as the 8330. But everything else, the 9930 TRIUMPHS. Its web browser is great, the speed and responsiveness is fantastic. I like everything about this phone. I'm not really waiting on QNX because I'm not a fan of touch keyboards, so its not an option. But if you're concerned about it, I say go for 9930, go BOLD.

09-15-11 08:20 PM
    Heh. My Curve 8310 is still going strong, too. My company has BES, but I just refuse to ante up more to AT&T just to use it.

Last time I checked voicemail on my Curve, the message said "Mr Watson. Come here. I want you."

And I HATE the crank on the side!

Andrew Ellis
    Lafayette, CA

E
    09-15-11 08:33 PM
    OP, mcaples is correct. If it ain't broke, why worry. I have an 8300 (also had 8310, 8320, and 8330) and love it. It is my backup phone to my Bold 9000. I am waiting on the Bold 9900 for at&t as it has yet to launch for at&t.

As the new curve is to come out, if you enjoy your Curve 8330 so much then I would suggest if you want an upgrade it, then go for the Curve 9350. You say you have big hands, I will tell you the Bold 9930 is great for people with big hands. I always thought the Curve had the best keyboard until the Bold 9000 came out, and now the Bold 9900 is out now and it's keyboard is better than the Bold 9000.

If you don't want to fork out the extra $10 though then stick with your 8330. Its obvious that you take great care of your phone. But if you decide to get a new phone remember you can keep that phone as a backup. Try going to your local Sprint store when the new Curve comes out to try out both the Bold 9930 and Curve 9350 and get a feel of both of them. I hope this helps.

Good Luck!
    09-15-11 08:35 PM
    QNX on the new BB will have activsync thus wait another 5 months. You've waited this long.
    09-15-11 08:39 PM

I went from a 8330 to a 9930. I loved my 8330 so much I just couldn't part with it.
    After having my 9930 for a month. I could torture my 8330.
    I don't even know where its at. I think its in behind my TV with the
    Back busted off and the battery god knows where after I simpley turned it on to get a password off of password keeper. It was so slow I through it!! I'm not making this up! It lasted all of about 15 seconds of on time b4 it hit the wall. The OS7 is that much better. I don't even want the thing as a back up phone! The key board is 10 times better. I can tipe it with one hand. Good god! I don't know how those track balls last so long but the track pad its self is worth the up grade. and like I said b4 the speed! I remember pulling my battery on my 8330 four times a day cuz it would freeze. Oh and the battery will be just fine for you. blackberrys are made to last all day with the average user.

Last edited by N0RCO; 09-15-11 at 09:09 PM.
    09-15-11 09:03 PM
    The new Bolds are great devices. However, the OP stated he's not in need nor has much desire for the latest tech gadgets. Also, cost is a prime factor with the OP.

The new Curves already outperform the leading OS6 Bold devices and every other BB prior to the Bold 9900/9930. The new Curve is PLENTY of performance upgrade but at a much, much lower cost than the new Bold.

OP, if you've waited this long to upgrade phones, might as well just wait for the new Curve with keyboard to release on Sprint. You would still get a great performing device and be much more smoother/faster than what you're currently using and save you more money than upgrading to the Bold.
    Are you sure the new curves outperform all previous devices?
    Im a bit skeptical on that one...
    09-15-11 10:05 PM
    Are you sure the new curves outperform all previous devices?
    Im a bit skeptical on that one...

The Bold 9650:

-624 MHz processor
    -480x360 pixel color display
    -512 MB onboard memory
    -Standby time: up to 13 days/312 hours
    -Talk time: up to 5 hours
    -Music playback time: up to 18 hours
    -3.2 megapixel camera (5mp 9780)

New Curve 9350

-800 MHz processor
    -2.44 inch HVGA+ display
    -480 x 360 pixel resolution
    -512 MB internal memory
    -5 mega pixel AUTO FOCUS camera
    -9 hours of video playback time
    -45 hours of music playback time
    -14.5 days of standby time
    -5.5 hours of talk-time

and most of all... The new Curve is OS7. That alone is a world of a difference, especially when added with the better processor of the 9350. Smoother/faster graphic/UI experience...

09-15-11 10:41 PM
    Why are you still running OS 4.5 on the 8330? The OS 5 on that device is slick.
    09-15-11 11:08 PM
    i dont care what y'all say OS 5 rocks. simplest smartphone OS i have ever used. i like it simple

shuabert likes this.
    09-15-11 11:42 PM
    Yes, its time to replace that Curve. However, you might have grown to like the Curve keyboard over the Bold's.

I suggest, for your situation, stick with something that's a couple years old so you can save lots of money, have 3G, and keep the long battery life etc...

1) I would suggest either Bold 9650, 9700 or 9780 if you can deal with the flatter keyboard, they are soooo cheap now. Choose depending on how much money you want to save.

2) The 8330 will DESTROY and annihilate any other phone in regards to battery life (with a stock battery) so you can't win there because its only 2G. You can look into getting a new BB and get an extended battery.

3) If you are signing into a contract (which is wise if you don't upgrade often), wait for the 9900 to come down in price and get at 50$ or 0$ in 4-6 months.
    Just realize that the Bold 9900's battery life will be half what you have now....BUT if you can switch your data to 2G (with some carriers!), , keep the screen brightness at 10, and keep wifi off, that will help a lot!

4) If you NEED that curve keyboard and awesome battery life, I'd say try a newer curve if you can get it cheap.

Good luck!
    09-16-11 06:59 AM
    I have a Bold 9900 (from a Curve 8900) and I love it, but of the battery lasted longer, I'd be even happier. I have a TMO 8900 in nice shape I'm planning to sell. PM if interested. The browser is quite good. A phone store dweeb challenged me to a browser shoot-out with a high end android and the image heavy site loaded rendered within a second of the Galaxy S. The phone geek did NOT see that one coming. Its good. Very good.

09-16-11 11:13 AM
    Thought i was doing ok by upgrading 2 weeks ago from my beloved 8330 to 9930, now having MAJOR gps problems. verizon switched out phone once, now on line with tech support 10 hrs min---phone has above mentioned great features but here in Fort Lauderdale/Boca/Miami, really need a reliable GPS. Thinking of going back to Curve. Good Luck if you switch yours out.

09-16-11 11:56 AM
    i made the move to a 9930 from a 8330 and don't regret it at all learning the new OS and where things are now takes some getting used to but universal search makes it fairly painless
    09-16-11 07:47 PM
    Thought i was doing ok by upgrading 2 weeks ago from my beloved 8330 to 9930, now having MAJOR gps problems. verizon switched out phone once, now on line with tech support 10 hrs min---

No point in calling Verizon when your tech support is right here.
    JR A likes this.
    09-16-11 08:12 PM
    I'm still using an 8330 on Sprint.

I'm running the latest HybridOS put together by BBTweaks and it's awesome. The latest release by them for the 8330 is actually less than a month old! I'm stating that because it's proof that this phone is still tickin' and still pushin' strong. I'm not exactly sure when I'll pick up a different phone. I used webOS for a while and enjoy this a whole lot more. The newest Curve that's coming out does look damn sexy though, so I might want to jump on that.

I would suggest that you look up (google) BBTweaks and install the latest HybridOS for your 8330- so far, it's been the best BlackBerry OS in my book- even better than OS7 because of its simplicity. I do very much understand that OS7 is amazing (especially with the newer hardware making it ultra smooth, a better browser, and more), but the simplicity and basic functionality that my 8330 has keeps me going, and going good at that. Good luck!
    09-17-11 01:42 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD