Now it's the last time for new BlackBerry device teaser or go out of the game, who's thinking the same?
    06-05-19 06:46 PM
    Nope not thinking the same. The way things have gone since purchasing the Motion literally stimied my enthusiasm for the brand.
    06-05-19 07:32 PM
    Now it's the last time for new BlackBerry device teaser or go out of the game, who's thinking the same?
    Why tease something that isn't coming until Christmas or the New Year?

They gave a 6 month tease with the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and that ended up making everyone angry.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-05-19 07:42 PM
    They might lose some Keyone users to other brands if it's actually EOL without a new successor but I doubt many non BlackBerry users are waiting on news before upgrading.
    anon(10218918) and elfabio80 like this.
    06-05-19 08:15 PM
    Emperically people are upgrading there devices at the slowest pace in 5 years. I have a BlackBerry Keyone Black Edition I purchased in January and a S9 I bought a year ago in March. I have no interest in any upgrade for the foreseeable future. One is an excellent PKB device the other a slab, like most devices. One is on Pie the other Oreo and I do not experience any real differences in my daily use. For those waiting on a Key3 is your device that bad that another 6 months makes a difference?
    Andrew Poderis and ppeters914 like this.
    06-06-19 02:16 AM
    I think we are waiting on features like
    wireless charging
    better cameras
    better spacebar

so, it's not that the device is so bad, it's that how long are we willing to hold onto medicoridty
    phuoc and ppeters914 like this.
    06-06-19 07:04 AM
    Emperically people are upgrading there devices at the slowest pace in 5 years. I have a BlackBerry Keyone Black Edition I purchased in January and a S9 I bought a year ago in March. I have no interest in any upgrade for the foreseeable future. One is an excellent PKB device the other a slab, like most devices. One is on Pie the other Oreo and I do not experience any real differences in my daily use. For those waiting on a Key3 is your device that bad that another 6 months makes a difference?
    What about those that have a four or five year old phone... and it dies on them?

While I agree with extending out the product cycles is a wise move...
    • I don't agree with limited support - 1 feature update and 2 years of patches is not enough to support that sales cycle.
    • Nor do I think a company as a whole can live off of one device with a 18-24 month refresh cycle. Have to keep the name out there and keep people interested in what you are doing. And keep sales at a constant level... sales decline over time, even for Apple . 2019 Sales for BBMo are going to be a lot less than 2018 sales... that's tough for any company. Needs to be multiple products with staggered release dates.
    • Have to communicate... Brand already carried a lot of doubt. With NO new hardware device in site, With NO new feature updates still in sight, With NO communications about KEYone patches ending when most "taught" Android Recommends meant something....

If BlackBerry Ltd and TCL are both still supporting the production and sales of new devices.... they have a lot of room for improvement.
    06-06-19 12:31 PM
    Last I heard, we were at an average 3 year cycle. I'm still happily using a phone from 2015. I think a two yearly release cycle is not unrealistic, even 3, for something niche like BB. Although probably two would be more ideal, so as not to lose people.

key2 is June 2018, so if it gets past June 2020 with no announcement, perhaps people can start speculating then.

Personally, I think TCL would be wise to try something a bit different. Different FF, or keyboard tech, or software implementation. Just a refresh isn't going to push sales.
    06-10-19 05:53 AM
    I personally think the entire smartphone industry is at a crossroads, most everyone I know is not interested in upgrading and can’t justify the money these manufacturers are trying to get for these new devices, like 2k for the folding one??

Even the mighty Apple is shifting some of its business to services because they to see the writing on the wall.

I currently have a KeyOne and a iPhone XS and the only thing I am interested in is a black Key2 limited model at a good price.

I am not even interested in upgrading my iPhone XS this time around, which will be the first time in many years I haven’t upgraded.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    06-10-19 09:05 AM
    I personally think the entire smartphone industry is at a crossroads, most everyone I know is not interested in upgrading and can’t justify the money these manufacturers are trying to get for these new devices, like 2k for the folding one??

Even the mighty Apple is shifting some of its business to services because they to see the writing on the wall.

I currently have a KeyOne and a iPhone XS and the only thing I am interested in is a black Key2 limited model at a good price.

I am not even interested in upgrading my iPhone XS this time around, which will be the first time in many years I haven’t upgraded.
    Amen!!!!!!
    06-10-19 08:06 PM
    I am currently using a refurbished S7 Active to get used to Samsung in case there will never be a successor to the Motion. I will wait as long as I can before I get a new phone.
    I hope it will be a BlackBerry, but I'm not holding my breath.

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60>Motion>S7 active
    06-10-19 09:16 PM

The problems are these:

Not everyone started at the same time. Some people are already carrying a 3 or 4 year old device and need to upgrade - but there's nothing to upgrade to, which will send them to another brand.

BBMo isn't likely to be able to sustain an ongoing business with no product in the stores to sell, and isn't going to be able to keep engineers, designers, developers, marketers, packagers, logistics, etc. during the years between product releases, because they'll have nothing to do and no revenue coming in.

BBMo is far from the only company facing this very real issue, to be sure, but this is exactly what happens as a complex product category matures: some companies fail and go bankrupt, some are acquired, some leave the business to work on other products, and a couple of the biggest, strongest companies remain, because they're the ones who have enough products and diversity to release products throughout the year, every year, to ensure there's always a new product on the shelves.

10 years ago there were over 100 companies selling flat-screen TVs in the US - today it's less than 10. 20 years ago there were thousands of companies selling PCs - today it's about 6 big ones and a few boutique builders.

In business, no one is guaranteed a market - you have to serve a market, and sometimes build a market, and if that market goes away, you have to find a new one, or die (or get acquired). That's just business.

Nokia has been a paper company and a boot company in the past - obviously they know how to reinvent themselves, but not everyone does...
    06-10-19 11:02 PM

BBMo isn't likely to be able to sustain an ongoing business with no product in the stores to sell, and isn't going to be able to keep engineers, designers, developers, marketers, packagers, logistics, etc. during the years between product releases, because they'll have nothing to do and no revenue coming in.
    I think BBMo design/production is far more integrated with Alcatel- and TCL-branded devices than most people think.
    06-11-19 12:26 AM
    I think BBMo design/production is far more integrated with Alcatel- and TCL-branded devices than most people think.
    Even if that's true, the bleeding of customers during time when there's no inventory for sale or at least nothing relatively new for sale will make it unsustainable fairly quickly IMO.
    06-11-19 12:47 AM
    Even if that's true, the bleeding of customers during time when there's no inventory for sale or at least nothing relatively new for sale will make it unsustainable fairly quickly IMO.
    You also have BlackBerry Ltd involved.... the Mobility Division can't operate unless fees are coming in.

Even if BBMo or Optiemus were to want to go to two year cycles and settle for and up and down sales every other year... don't think Chen would bother.
    06-11-19 02:24 PM
    Zombies and corpses don’t bleed.... really do they?
    06-11-19 02:41 PM
    Zombies and corpses don’t bleed.... really do they?
    Ha! Now that's funny right there.
    06-12-19 10:01 AM
    Just a refresh isn't going to push sales.
    Isn't that what all these slab manufacturers constantly get away with?

Small refresh and sell like hotcakes (to one degree or another)
    06-12-19 10:25 AM
    You also have BlackBerry Ltd involved.... the Mobility Division can't operate unless fees are coming in.

Even if BBMo or Optiemus were to want to go to two year cycles and settle for and up and down sales every other year... don't think Chen would bother.
    If the two year cycle was in the plan and not limp device sales necessitating the delay, then the KEY2 would come out now for KEYone users to latch onto.

Moreover, just when the device is considered launched and/or done is complicated by the drawn out process of regional launches and spray painting old stock. For example, since the KEY2 took until 2019 to launch there, Australian KEYone/KEY2 users are already on a two year cycle, technically.
    06-12-19 11:39 AM
    If the two year cycle was in the plan and not limp device sales necessitating the delay, then the KEY2 would come out now for KEYone users to latch onto.

Moreover, just when the device is considered launched and/or done is complicated by the drawn out process of regional launches and spray painting old stock. For example, since the KEY2 took until 2019 to launch there, Australian KEYone/KEY2 users are already on a two year cycle, technically.
    I find it funny how some people actually believe that the red KEY2 is remaining stock of Black dual sim that they repainted.

Think they also painted in white over the gray paint of the alt characters on the keyboard?
    If that was the case, wouldn't there be slight misalignment and we could see the gray paint next to the white??

Did the red paint magically improve the spacebar?
    06-12-19 12:17 PM
    I find it funny how some people actually believe that the red KEY2 is remaining stock of Black dual sim that they repainted.

Think they also painted in white over the gray paint of the alt characters on the keyboard?
    If that was the case, wouldn't there be slight misalignment and we could see the gray paint next to the white??

Did the red paint magically improve the spacebar?
    I doubt thurask actually thinks its repainted devices.... more it is finding a solution for moving of committed too components. What is the cost of a case and keyboard compared with the frame, display, chipset and other components that even TCL has to order in some sort of "bulk".

I don't know if that was the case with the RED KEY2, or if they needed something to talk about at MWC....

But it is kinda silly that their production is so limited that it takes a year to fully reach markets like Australia. Think if there are PKB BlackBerry fans there... they have already found a way to import it. But paying a premium for a device that is already half way through it's update cycle....
    06-12-19 12:25 PM
    how long are we willing to hold onto medicoridty
    Only as long as people continue purchasing mediocre devices, I suppose.
    06-12-19 02:38 PM
    Only as long as people continue purchasing mediocre devices, I suppose.
    Same thing I feel about slabs:

How long are people going to continue purchasing barely upgraded devices and being wowed by the shinyness of X slab as opposed to Y slab from prior generation
    06-12-19 04:05 PM

How long are people going to continue purchasing barely upgraded devices and being wowed by the shinyness of X slab as opposed to Y slab from prior generation
    For as long as their is value in doing so, perceived or otherwise, I suppose
    06-12-19 04:09 PM

About every three years.... wouldn't be surprised it we don't see that upgrade window grow over time, like it did with PC sales.

But that has nothing to do with PKBs.. as they aren't a factor anymore.
    06-12-19 04:14 PM