I've watched this stock for a few years now, read all the good and bad stories about it. studied the chart. I think their has never been an opportunity like the one I see now. The markets are always setting up to burn the most people as possible. RIMM stock is at a 5 year low! If you look at the chart and conceder the flip side RIMM is also at a very long term and solid support level! Crackberry nation knows better than anywhere that the news and analyst are missing out on a huge part of the story right now. All the bad new's is totally baked into the stock and none of the good news gets any play at all. RIMM came out weeks ago and lowered "short term" guidance and the stock once again got hammered. As per usual it drifted lower, now it find's its self at a all time low valuation on a P/E ratio. Thats the set up to make huge returns. Theirs always risks friend's If you listen to the company they believe that the turn around is upon us. $7.50 12 months earning is their guidance. The demand for new product from RIMM is huge and the product is coming soon. Have a look for yourself, talk to a financial adviser and move now.6 months out, you'll be happy you did!
    PS. the upside gain con-paired to the downside pain is 5 to 1 in your favor
    Last edited by Dapper37; 05-20-11 at 11:17 PM.
    05-20-11 11:14 PM
    I'd feel comfortable getting in at this level. I like their new products, and the future looks bright.
    05-21-11 05:03 AM
    I think you are probably right to be honest, nice thread, great point.
    05-22-11 08:48 AM
    I would buy very cautiously... their stock value was supposed to go up with the PlayBook, with the Torch, etc... and they've all flopped terribly. I hope for the sake of my stocks that RIM kicks themself in the *** and pulls something together.
    05-22-11 11:27 AM
    Buy now and wait for the buy out? That's what I did with palm and made a pretty hefty chunk of change

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-11 12:33 PM
    RIM's OS is killing them. QNX isn't the answer. It's going to take something radical to reverse their slide and it's only a matter of "when".

If they adopted Android they'd have the best messaging phone combined with an established depth of Apps and willing developers with web experience. Perhaps some merge with Microsoft could provide the same reversal.

But... At this point, they appear stubborn in their pursuit of working with an OS platform that has no chance of real app development (look at the sad Playbook)... therefore I'd probably wait until they hit bottom - and they will.
    Last edited by CGI; 05-22-11 at 12:44 PM.
    05-22-11 12:39 PM
    Does anybody know what a share (or a block ? of shares) of RIM is worth these days?
    - just curious -
    05-22-11 02:48 PM
    RIM's OS is killing them. QNX isn't the answer. It's going to take something radical to reverse their slide and it's only a matter of "when".

If they adopted Android they'd have the best messaging phone combined with an established depth of Apps and willing developers with web experience. Perhaps some merge with Microsoft could provide the same reversal.

But... At this point, they appear stubborn in their pursuit of working with an OS platform that has no chance of real app development (look at the sad Playbook)... therefore I'd probably wait until they hit bottom - and they will.
    Nah. The PlayBook will be the number one Android tablet as it is once RIM outs the app player for Android. Then they'll do the same on the phones. Android capable without the (inferior to QNX) Android OS.

05-22-11 03:19 PM
    Does anybody know what a share (or a block ? of shares) of RIM is worth these days?
    - just curious -
    Research In Motion Limited: TSE:RIM quotes & news - Google Finance
    Research In Motion Limited (USA): NASDAQ:RIMM quotes & news - Google Finance

Research in Motion is traded in both Canada and the USA.

As of Friday close, $42.40 CDN and $43.52 US.

Interesting to note, the Price to Earning ratio is 6.90. That is key indicator for the markets confidance. Compare that to Apple at 15.98 or Google at 20.35.

Investors will steer clear of high P/E ratios, speculators will jump on it, in hopes of seeing it go even higher.

Why Smart Investors Should Buy Apple and Google, Sell Research In Motion and Nokia - Seeking Alpha
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    05-22-11 03:40 PM
    Rimm stock has potential for a huge upside...The question is wether or not Rimm can release a must have product this year.
    05-22-11 07:08 PM
    Rimm stock has potential for a huge upside...The question is wether or not Rimm can release a must have product this year.
    Agreed!

RIM needs 2 things to see their stock REALLY climb this year

They need to get a Solid "sexy" candybar qwerty out (9900 LOOKS to be this device)
    They need to get a Solid touch screen device to market

With both of these devices they need to make it easy for app & theme developers to develop for BOTH devices, and they need to promote the devices like they did the Torch,

IF RIM pulls those off, the earlier predictions of $60 at year end are very likely, if they fail with either of those launches, breaking $50 by year end will be lucky
    05-22-11 07:48 PM

Worst post ever! If RIM ever adopted Android OS, it would be the end of BlackBerrys and RIM would go out of business within a year. ...
    05-22-11 09:43 PM
    RIM is about security, I believe they would never use Android as their OS because of this. QNX will be great once they work out all the kinks. I think it will surprise everyone once they have it working as intended.

05-22-11 10:04 PM
    RIM is about security, I believe they would never use Android as their OS because of this. QNX will be great once they work out all the kinks. I think it will surprise everyone once they have it working as intended.

Then they should fix that oustanding security issue one of these days like Android and iPhone already have! =P

arstechnica.com/security/news/2011/03/pwn2own-day-2-iphone-blackberry-beaten-chrome-firefox-no-shows.ars
    05-23-11 01:15 AM
    Y'all are getting confuzed. Playbook will have the ability eventually to run Android apps, not that BB is gonna run Androids on them.
    05-23-11 01:54 AM
    Agreed!

RIM needs 2 things to see their stock REALLY climb this year

They need to get a Solid "sexy" candybar qwerty out (9900 LOOKS to be this device)
    They need to get a Solid touch screen device to market

With both of these devices they need to make it easy for app & theme developers to develop for BOTH devices, and they need to promote the devices like they did the Torch,

IF RIM pulls those off, the earlier predictions of $60 at year end are very likely, if they fail with either of those launches, breaking $50 by year end will be lucky
    I agree! Management needs to deliver on the product side. Hopefully more developers embrace os7 & qnx and deliver on the app side. Rimm is constantly adding new users (on a global scale), so the fan base is there. It's just a matter of Rimm attracting developers to the new platform.
    05-23-11 08:37 AM
    I think the stock will, overall, remain flat for the next 6 - 9 months.

We will see some up tics from the release of the new BB phones with OS7.
    But those phones will be purchased by current BB owners. I see nothing
    that will draw new customers into the BB world with said phones.

If RIM releases a 10" PlayBook and if RIM gets TAT running, and if RIM
    can get some good apps for PB, and if RIM has 3g/4g on PB then a good up tic could be seen if released during the 2011 Holiday season.

The 7" PB is now contaminated in the public eye. It will not cause any real strong
    sales boast until some very strong and multiple positive reviews come out.
    Initial sales numbers on the 7" will be good, but I suspect they will slide off. Again.
    the current PB is only useful to current BB owners for the most part.

Folks will/are waiting for QNX and a complete refresh of the BB phone line.
    How RIM handles this, what the new phones offer as far a new and trend setting
    performance will decide if RIMS stock will get back to its prior value levels.

For RIM stock to come back to the good prior levels it must not be playing catch up
    but start leading the pack.

I would say wait a month or two longer before considering purchasing stock
    as I do think it will drop lower prior to the release of the OS7 phones. Playbook issues
    will continue to dog stock values. If sale reports in June are good, a small up tic will be seen but it could be short lived as other tablets hit the market during the same time period.

2012 is the make it or break year for RIM. Keep or dump time.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-23-11 at 09:11 AM.
    05-23-11 09:08 AM
    I also believe the 9900 will be a big success (assuming no major glitches in the device). I just got a 9780 not to long ago and I'm already eyeing this thing up (crazy). I also think the Playbook has potential but RIM needs to ramp up their efforts on the app end (for BB in general as well). I do NOT see the government going away from Blackberry any time soon. I work for Homeland Security and they continue to increase their purchases for Blackberry. Security is everything.
    05-23-11 10:04 AM
    Worst post ever! If RIM ever adopted Android OS, it would be the end of BlackBerrys and RIM would go out of business within a year. ...
    Why do you think that? I'm sure there is a way to incorporate the "good" of blackberry into the OS.

Think about the blackberry predicament for developers; with their OS/device strategy how do you develop software across those variables? It's well documented... it's not easy.

So as a developer you focus your efforts on platforms like Apple and Android. That's where you can make money and the quality of the apps is proof.

RIM is fighting a losing battle with their OS and look at any market share data for further proof; losing 4.5% in Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. That's crazy bad... and has nothing to do with hardware.

RIM’s market share sinking: report - Blogs | Tech & Gadgets - MSN CA

Android? Windows? They gotta do something.
    05-23-11 01:37 PM
    Why do you think that? I'm sure there is a way to incorporate the "good" of blackberry into the OS.

Think about the blackberry predicament for developers; with their OS/device strategy how do you develop software across those variables? It's well documented... it's not easy.

So as a developer you focus your efforts on platforms like Apple and Android. That's where you can make money and the quality of the apps is proof.

RIM is fighting a losing battle with their OS and look at any market share data for further proof; losing 4.5% in Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. That's crazy bad... and has nothing to do with hardware.

RIM’s market share sinking: report - Blogs | Tech & Gadgets - MSN CA

Android? Windows? They gotta do something.
    IF RIM adopted Android they would instantly alienate their enterprise and government market, those markets who pay for BES! bye bye high margin software sales....

in addition RIM would also lose it's sales of BIS to the Carriers.
    RIM's encryption strengths are based on BIS/BES sending data through NOC's ALL this would be gone, leaving RIM with an aged hardware and a marginal app launching OS.

Apple has Lost huge market share with tablets having controlled almost 100% of the market they are probably down to 90% and will continue to fall what can they do to stop the horror!! Market share is lost as the market grows faster then the person in control of the largest share of the market. RIM has continued to increase sales (until this quarter I suspect) so they are not a failing company, they just are a media pet,
    05-23-11 01:55 PM
    RIM stock has been going down for a long time, and unless you think they're going to do something that's going to interest investors, don't bother. I was foolish enough to buy stocks before the Torch and and PlayBook and what a disaster that has been, neither of these products did anything for the company. Buy RIM stocks extremely cautiously, I am expecting them to drop for a few more years until they realize they won't be around anymore unless they do something differently.
    05-23-11 10:30 PM
    It's priced as a buy, but I want to see a little more traction with Playbook sales before I commit anything more to RIM.
    05-24-11 08:42 AM
    i picked up 50 shares at 43.36 which based on the fundamentals, i thought was a bargain.

I feel the "bad" news has been priced in and the company is selling well globally. I think they can regain some market share with the new phones if they execute the OS well and actually do some solid marketing.

Besides all that, their financials are excellent and i think it's a decent bet at this point.

I am not an expert, but have done well enough with my stock picks in the past.
    05-24-11 10:49 PM
    Today the stock got hit due to the class action law suite, a few hours into the day the stock gained back what it lost and a bit more. The point being the stock didn't sell off on more bad news, 5 year support holds. June 16 we need less bad news and some product release dates and away we go...
    05-27-11 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD