Since the Launch event on January 30th, Alicia Keys (BlackBerry's new "Global Creative Director") has and will be appearing in 3 major events in the US:

• First, she performed the American national anthem at the Superbowl, the biggest (US) media event of the year
    • Second, she just performed tonight at the Grammy Awards Ceremony, with another musical group (Maroon 5) with broad appeal in the US
    • Third, she will be performing at the halftime show at the upcoming NBA All-Stars weekend on February 17th (Alicia Keys headlines All-Star Game halftime show)

That's three major performances in three consecutive events, every Sunday (3rd, 10th, 17th) since the launch like clockwork. There's another thread here that has evolved into a question about what Alicia Keys can actually do for BlackBerry and whether she was the right choice for the job (Where is Alicia Keys?), but I think the more important question is this:

How can BlackBerry properly leverage what seems to be a golden goose?

We know she's planning on creating music videos with the Z10 during her tour, and she's part of the "Keep Moving" project, but I think that BlackBerry should somehow inject themselves into her public appearances. It's not often that an artist is in the public eye this often in such a short time-span, and with the public generally viewing her favorably, it can only mean good things for the company. I guess we'll see though.

Thoughts?
    02-11-13 12:01 AM
    There could be other forces at play here.

Realize when an artist performs on stage, they're not just representing themselves, but they are performing on behalf of their record label.

So if BlackBerry were to capitalize on Alicia Keys' performances, they'd have to negotiate with those that manage her record deal.
    02-11-13 01:19 AM
    With all the designers that celebrities wear at these awards shows, you would think that Alicia Keys might have a dress with the BlackBerry logo/pattern embedded. It wouldn't have to be something glaringly obvious, but a nice, subtle, subliminal pattern would be cool to see.
    00stryder and kbz1960 like this.
    02-11-13 06:55 AM
    There could be other forces at play here.

Realize when an artist performs on stage, they're not just representing themselves, but they are performing on behalf of their record label.

So if BlackBerry were to capitalize on Alicia Keys' performances, they'd have to negotiate with those that manage her record deal.
    That's true, but how is that any different than her promoting BlackBerry at her world tour concerts? (If I remember correctly, it's the artists themselves that pay for their concert tours.) Any performance she has that would involve BlackBerry marketing would involve her manager. As for the record label, I doubt they would care provided that she doesn't say anything over the top.

At the very least, they could air her Keep Moving video clip around the time that she's performing. I doubt it would cost anymore than traditional airtime or at least nowhere near Superbowl levels. But basically, I think they should find some way to link Ms. Keys to BlackBerry devices in mainstream media events. The concert tour and music videos are great, but you're not going to reach those potential consumers who don't go to the shows and/or frequent YouTube to watch videos.

With all the designers that celebrities wear at these awards shows, you would think that Alicia Keys might have a dress with the BlackBerry logo/pattern embedded. It wouldn't have to be something glaringly obvious, but a nice, subtle, subliminal pattern would be cool to see.
    I agree. It'd be a bit tacky for her to be showing off a device in that setting, but if she could somehow incorporate her new job title into her appearances then that'd be a great way to link her to the brand in the general public's eye. Unfortunately, the Grammy's imposed a pretty strict dress code this year banning any corporate logos so the BB dress may not have worked.
    02-11-13 08:26 PM
    I'm pretty sure this promotional blitz is solely for the benefit of her own career. Oh @ the idea of her using BlackBerry clothing at anyone of these...
    Tom689 likes this.
    02-11-13 08:39 PM
    Well of course, but BlackBerry didn't hire her to advance her own career. She can do that on her own. If they're going to be paying her, they might as well get something out of it.
    02-11-13 10:28 PM
    The way I see it —as things stand, of course— they're getting nothing out of her expect some cheap, negative articles on how she's cheating on them with an iPhone.
    cfoxx likes this.
    02-11-13 10:42 PM
    The way I see it —as things stand, of course— they're getting nothing out of her expect some cheap, negative articles on how she's cheating on them with an iPhone.
    any chance your username is based on the Coheed and Cambria albums?
    02-11-13 10:52 PM
    any chance your username is based on the Coheed and Cambria albums?
    Nope =P

It's based on the God of music, poetry, oracles, healing, knowledge and light, coupled with my favorite Roman numeral. I had to Google Coheed and Cambria to know what you were talking about XD
    02-11-13 11:03 PM
    She has a new album out... I pray to gosh that this "BlackBerry Creative Director" gig isn't just her publicist engineering a coup... I do wonder about that "hacked twitter account" thing... I know it's hard to go cold turkey (I used my 9810 to do a video today, cuz I didn't want to stop to figure out how to do it on my Z10, but I am going to ween myself off my 9810 eventually) but for someone in her position, being seen NEAR an iOS or Android device and not attempting to extol the virtues of her Z10 & BB10 is nothing short of dereliction of duty.
    02-11-13 11:05 PM
    That was pretty embarrassing after the launch, but I think most people have forgotten about it or never really cared in the first place. The first Keep Moving video was just released with that author so maybe we'll see more out of her soon.
    02-11-13 11:06 PM
    Nope =P

It's based on the God of music, poetry, oracles, healing, knowledge and light, coupled with my favorite Roman numeral. I had to Google Coheed and Cambria to know what you were talking about XD
    you dont know coheed? blasphemer! lol
    ok, just asking.
    02-11-13 11:10 PM
    That was pretty embarrassing after the launch, but I think most people have forgotten about it or never really cared in the first place. The first Keep Moving video was just released with that author so maybe we'll see more out of her soon.
    really! lol.

Neil Gaiman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this guy is amazing!
    02-11-13 11:12 PM
    you dont know coheed? blasphemer! lol
    ok, just asking.
    Not really my cup of tea haha
    02-11-13 11:16 PM
    The last time the Super Bowl was in Arizona I worked on the voluteer commitee and at the events. There were very strict rules about not drinking a can of coke or pepsi but in a paper cup. Annouoncers were prohibited from showing off products or merchandise. Unless someone paid the NFL. The NFL would have had a sh** fit if she flashed a BB10 during her song. Sammy would have been pi$$ed lol
    02-11-13 11:25 PM
    really! lol.

Neil Gaiman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this guy is amazing!
    Lol I'm sorry! I know who he is and what he's done for society, but I didn't know how to spell his name and was too lazy to look it up
    02-11-13 11:51 PM
    She hasn't done anything yet I think it was a bad idea to hire her
    02-11-13 11:58 PM
    Why does she only have to use a Blackberry though? I'm sure many business(wo)men use multiple devices for different reasons. I think its unfair. She should be able to tweet from whatever device she wants. People tweet from different brands of tablets/phones/mp3players all the time, so why is it a big deal? She can't ever use an iPad either? Remember those Apple guys taking pics from their Blackberry's?

Last time I checked, Alicia Keys was just a "Creative Director." She can use whatever she wants in her free time....just like everybody else who might have a work issued phone.

If you work at Microsoft you cant own/use a Mac?
    02-12-13 10:33 AM
    Why does she only have to use a Blackberry though? I'm sure many business(wo)men use multiple devices for different reasons. I think its unfair. She should be able to tweet from whatever device she wants. People tweet from different brands of tablets/phones/mp3players all the time, so why is it a big deal? She can't ever use an iPad either? Remember those Apple guys taking pics from their Blackberry's?

Last time I checked, Alicia Keys was just a "Creative Director." She can use whatever she wants in her free time....just like everybody else who might have a work issued phone.

I personally think there is a big difference between working for a company and using competitor's products and being paid to promote a brand/product and ending up promoting the other.
    02-12-13 11:06 AM

The problem is visibility and the message it sends to the public whom you are trying to convince to use the Z10. The public won't see a plebe at Microsoft using a Mac, so it won't matter. If Bill Gates or senior Microsoft directors were seen sporting an iPhone, that would be different.

Its somewhat akin to a senior executive at a car company that drives a competing product exclusively (ignoring car collectors).
    00stryder likes this.
    02-12-13 11:14 AM
    I personally think there is a big difference between working for a company and using competitor's products and being paid to promote a brand/product and ending up promoting the other.
    but how did she promote another product? If she tweeted form her Macbook, does that mean she's promoting Apple products?

I could see if her tweet was Blackberry related, nut it was a random music tweet. All of this is blown out of proportion. The only reason this is newsworthy is to have an excuse to bash Blackberry.

I've seen people conclude, if she tweeted from her iPhone, BB10 must suck. If I tweet from my Kindle, does that mean my iPad sucks too?
    02-12-13 11:15 AM
    She was pretty clear about being exclusive to blackberry. That was actually part of the pitch
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-12-13 11:15 AM
    Remember this?

Why Was An Apple Board Member Using A BlackBerry? | Cult of Mac
    There’s one bright spot of publicity for RIM this week, however. J. Crew CEO and board member Millard Drexler uses a BlackBerry Bold 9900 – a fact noted after a CNBC piece about operations at J. Crew.

Even the article concluded that he probably uses it because his company hasn't abandoned Blackberry. Its like they cant even fathom that he might use one because.........he wants to!

02-12-13 11:17 AM
    but how did she promote another product? If she tweeted form her Macbook, does that mean she's promoting Apple products?

I could see if her tweet was Blackberry related, nut it was a random music tweet. All of this is blown out of proportion. The only reason this is newsworthy is to have an excuse to bash Blackberry.

I've seen people conclude, if she tweeted from her iPhone, BB10 must suck. If I tweet from my Kindle, does that mean my iPad sucks too?
    It sends the wrong message. I think the general public sees it as: Well, Alicia Keys was appointed Creative Director of BlackBerry, but here she is tweeting from an iPhone because even she doesn't believe in the product she's endorsing.
    Tom689 and Enyigma like this.
    02-12-13 11:23 AM
    02-12-13 11:28 AM
35 12