This thread should be closed. Its gotten out of hand, and really has nothing to do with Blackberry anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    02-01-11 09:49 PM
    I would simply call the police and if they didn't do anything, query the carrier of the phone number and tell them the number is being used for purposes that violate and breach the terms of service and agreement set forth by the carrier, the harassment will end, the person committing the harassment will lose their phone service and will learn a valuable lesson, if their parents pay for it, they will surely be grounded for quite some time.

02-01-11 09:59 PM
    Sorry, but that is not correct.
    It is very correct...
    I've had people calling my cellphone multiple times a day threatening my life, so i called the police and they told me that unless they physically come to my house and threaten me they can't do anything, and these were death threats as well.
    02-02-11 05:04 AM
    It is very correct...
    I've had people calling my cellphone multiple times a day threatening my life, so i called the police and they told me that unless they physically come to my house and threaten me they can't do anything, and these were death threats as well.
    The carrier of the one making the threats should be notified of the abuse of their services, then, they'll take action on the threatening caller.

As another precaution, periodically google your own number including the area code. If it turns up on some website, forum, blog or wiki, report it to those admins right away.

Last edited by Rootbrian; 02-02-11 at 05:10 AM.
    02-02-11 05:07 AM
    Why give your number out at school anyway?anyone can overhear it.

02-02-11 10:47 AM
    Even if someone here was able to give you more info as in address etc, that would make them an accomplice of sorts.
    02-02-11 02:36 PM
    A vigilante mob is not the answer.
    Aw shucks i dun jus finished sharpening ma pitch forch an shining ma torch
    02-02-11 03:31 PM
    It is very correct...
    Look if you made a report the police has to follow up on it. Its just that simple. If the person treating you is using a prepaid phone then sure there's not sure fire way to track them down. On the other hand if they are on a plan the police will get their address and serve them with arrest warrants. Threats are against the law. Freedom of speech stops once you threaten one life or health.
    I for one think its a bad idea to post any number on a forum cause anyone can sing a sad song with intent to harm the owner. There's no way for the forum to check out your story. The forum could be flooded with phone numbers of aledged treating txts and calls. To turn around to be bs just someone putting their x girlfriends number on the board. I think you would gotten a better response if you would have just asked how you could find out some info on the number and what to do once you got it. For the moment I believe you had somewhat good intention just a wrong execution.

oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    02-02-11 03:44 PM
    We've had a few incidents where other kids were hassling my son via text. Similar kinds of threats and foul language, etc. The simplest solution was to just block the offending numbers. I had to add T-Mo's Family Allowance plan for $5/mo to be able to block numbers but it got them off of his radar and things went back to normal.

Kids + unlimited text plans = boredom = stupidity
    02-02-11 04:06 PM
    Kids + unlimited text plans = boredom = stupidity
    Na... Kids w/ unlimited anything with parants who doesn't supervise their kids activities=stupidity and trouble.

02-02-11 04:40 PM
    Wouldn't it be just horrible if someone posted that number in the paper and on craigslist, offering a just-barely believable good deal on something that lots of people wanted, and that mean person mentioned that they worked nights, so people interested needed to call between 12-6 am?
    RolandDargentan and DawgMan like this.
    02-02-11 07:19 PM
    wouldn't it be just horrible if someone posted that number in the paper and on craigslist, offering a just-barely believable good deal on something that lots of people wanted, and that mean person mentioned that they worked nights, so people interested needed to call between 12-6 am?
    lmfao!
    02-02-11 08:46 PM
    Wouldn't it be just horrible if someone posted that number in the paper and on craigslist, offering a just-barely believable good deal on something that lots of people wanted, and that mean person mentioned that they worked nights, so people interested needed to call between 12-6 am?
    Remember, more than likely we are dealing with a kid here. The last thing we would want as an adult is to put this kid in danger by giving some perv access to a teenagers cell phone #. We would be doing this kid greater harm than this kid is doing to his classmate.
    02-02-11 11:49 PM
    Guys,

While some of you may not agree with the posting of a phone number in a public forum, it is entirely legal to do so. Remember, we do not own the phone numbers, we just pay a fee to use them every month. If you do not have title to something you have no control over it. You actually have no rights to tell people to use or not use "your" phone number, but you can try if it makes you feel better.

Also for those police comments not willing to help out. It is true, they sometimes do behave this way - they are human. You need to understand how file a claim properly which includes filing a notice with the police department... if you are having trouble being assisted, contact someone with the expertise to get things done, no use in complaining and being a victim that no one will help you.

Personal opinion would be to deal directly with the police department as the text message sender could be a minor. However you are free to post whatever you want in this forum - unless the moderators here have taken it upon themselves that Canada and the USA are no longer free countries.
    02-03-11 08:59 AM
    Guys,

While some of you may not agree with the posting of a phone number in a public forum, it is entirely legal to do so. Remember, we do not own the phone numbers, we just pay a fee to use them every month. If you do not have title to something you have no control over it. You actually have no rights to tell people to use or not use "your" phone number, but you can try if it makes you feel better.

Also for those police comments not willing to help out. It is true, they sometimes do behave this way - they are human. You need to understand how file a claim properly which includes filing a notice with the police department... if you are having trouble being assisted, contact someone with the expertise to get things done, no use in complaining and being a victim that no one will help you.

Personal opinion would be to deal directly with the police department as the text message sender could be a minor. However you are free to post whatever you want in this forum - unless the moderators here have taken it upon themselves that Canada and the USA are no longer free countries.
    National boundaries are meaningless, this is an International gathering place.

Our site policy prohibits engaging in harassment by any member.

•Inappropriate Content/ Language

Please keep posts and links family appropriate. The administrator’s and moderator’s reserve the right to delete posts at their discretion if they are deemed inappropriate or offensive. ...
    DawgMan likes this.
    02-03-11 09:57 AM
    It's a private forum, the moderators can set whatever rules they want regarding what can and can't be posted.
    02-03-11 11:13 AM
    I just had the police at my home, to report an email threat from a BB email address I don't recognize. The officer took my info and said she would log it. I asked if they could find out who it was and she said no. I'm not asking anyone to do any detective work, but any info is welcomed.

Is there anyone I can report this to, who cares? I called the carrier. They told me to call the police. I called the police and they didn't do anything. Would my ISP do anything? Blackberry?
    02-28-11 10:42 PM
    Actually, if I wanted to screw someone over I could find several forums that I could post their phone number and expect that they would get lots of nasty calls.

I did not do that, yet, though.

I posted the number here in the hopes that someone with better connections than I have could possibly come up with at least a last name. I'm sure this person is someone that my daughter knows. In addition to the police, if I had a name I could report it her school and see possible sanctions taken there.

Why shouldn't I post this persons number out to the general public? If you had seen the vile and obscene messages that she received, maybe you would feel differently.

It seems to me that the only tool/whack job is you.
    I understand you are looking out for your family, but posting the number on this site is highly uncalled for. We are not the police (generally speaking) and you are asking other people to now pry into this persons life and find out who they are, for your sole means of retaliation (of which we do not know what you are going to do). In all likelihood, this is a child, and you just exposed their personal phone number to people they most likely DO NOT want them to have. Do you realize sexual predators MAY be visiting this site? I know for a fact that there are plenty of weirdos. And posting the number on the internet makes it available for ANYONE to find, not just people on this site.

If I was this childs parent, I would be extremely pissed off because now you just put their son/daughter into a situation they do not need to be in. You should have just taken this to the police if this is really scaring you. Or maybe called your carrier to see whats up. But to post a number which is most likely a childs, on an open internet forum just because they threatened to kick your daughters *** (this is unheard of among children ) is ridiculous.

When I was in school kids were always threatening to beat each other up, and it was the same way when my parents were in school. I understand your concern though.
    Last edited by avt123; 03-01-11 at 10:58 AM.
    03-01-11 10:56 AM
    Although I think the OP has a genuiine concern, and if worried then definately call the police, but posting a phone number was a mistake at this stage. Exposing another (maybe innocent) child to possible harm is not wise. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? No details are known. Kids get hold of other kids phones, kids get bullied into doing things they don't want to and kids do stupid things they regret later. Let the authorities do their bit first at least.
    03-01-11 12:16 PM
    you cant teach common sense

That's because common sense is no longer that common.
    03-01-11 12:22 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD