Someone has been sending my 16 year old daughter threatening messages from the following phone number:

MOD EDIT

Anyone out there with the skills to find a name attached to this account?
    02-01-11 12:37 PM
    That's awful!!! You should get a txt blocking application.
    02-01-11 12:38 PM
    How about just calling the police??
    02-01-11 12:40 PM
    I can tell you that it is a non published cell phone number from Branson, MO.
    02-01-11 12:44 PM
    Someone has been sending my 16 year old daughter threatening messages from the following phone number:

Anyone out there with the skills to find a name attached to this account?

Where do you live? I just called the number and what sounded like a teenage girl answered.
    02-01-11 12:49 PM
    If you are truly getting threatening calls from that number your best resource will be your local police or sheriff departments. They have the means and authorization to determine the caller's identity and will know the proper way to resolve it.
    02-01-11 12:56 PM
    Phone number removed.

Please do not post things like this in the forums.

We are not the Police Dept.
    02-01-11 01:00 PM
    We live in the Branson, MO area. The sheriff's dept. is sending someone out to take a statement as soon as the roads clear. They wouldn't do anything over the phone.
    02-01-11 01:01 PM
    If you are truly getting threatening calls from that number your best resource will be your local police or sheriff departments. They have the means and authorization to determine the caller's identity and will know the proper way to resolve it.
    True to certain degree, however there are a number of caller ID spoofing apps available, additionally in order for any service provider to release the records, they require a subpoena. The police have to have substantial evidence to support the need for such subpoena and then a county prosecutor must also agree and have it authorized and signed by a magistrate or judge.
    02-01-11 01:03 PM
    My guess is that it is someone that goes to school with your daughter. But as you can see it only took a matter of a few minutes to figure out where she was calling from.
    02-01-11 01:06 PM
    The police won't do anything unless there's actual physical violence.

Here's a great free app:

Mr Number Call Block

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    blackberryaddict85 likes this.
    02-01-11 01:06 PM

Here's a great free app:

Mr Number Call Block

Sorry, but that is not correct.
    02-01-11 01:08 PM
    Sorry but it is. I got phone calls for a month from a man that threatened to rape me. I had 6 voicemails and about 10 calls a day.

Took them to the police. They gave me a log sheet to track and said that couldn't do any more unless he actually harmed me.

This was in 2004, Charlotte County FL.

02-01-11 01:12 PM
    Not true.
    If the victim truly believes the threats then it is a criminal offence.

Last time I checked, the police do something about criminals committing offences.
    02-01-11 01:13 PM
    I had voice mails, texts. The number wasn't blocked. They did nothing but give a log sheet. I kept it for a month and they still told me that unless he actually physically hurt me, they couldn't do anything.

I can give you the police file #.

02-01-11 01:14 PM
    I had voice mails, texts. The number wasn't blocked. They did nothing but give a log sheet. I kept it for a month and they still told me that unless he actually physically hurt me, they couldn't do anything.

I can give you the police file #.

Think about what your asking us to believe.
    Obviously there's much more to the story.
    There are laws that specifically deal with Harassment, Stalking etc. none of which require the victim to be physically harmed before an offence has occurred.
    There are also federal laws that prohibit using telecommunication devices in such a manner.
    02-01-11 01:20 PM
    Christy is posting on the WAP forum. She may not realize Jake's profile indicates a Canadian carrier.

Our laws are very similar, the Police are there to investigate and recommend charges when appropriate. The log would be an important part of the investigation.
    02-01-11 01:21 PM
    Sorry but it is. I got phone calls for a month from a man that threatened to rape me. I had 6 voicemails and about 10 calls a day.

Took them to the police. They gave me a log sheet to track and said that couldn't do any more unless he actually harmed me.

This was in 2004, Charlotte County FL.

That may have happened in 2004 and I am truly sorry you had to experience something like that. But we live in a different world now, the world of cyber bullies, the world where children are committing suicide for being picked on at school. Laws vary by state, but the times have changed.
    02-01-11 01:21 PM
    Reed is right that I can't see the nationality.

I'm in the US. I'm telling you my experience. How many of you had threatening phone calls about being raped and stalked? What was your personal experience when you took your evidence to the police?

This happened to me. The threats were very graphic, close to home and horrifying. I'm telling you what the police did. They were nice. They took the evidence. They took my log sheet and gave me advice and pepper spray.

They said they couldn't do anything...meaning arrest him...unless he physically harmed me. If I saw him I could call them. That's all after the fact though.

02-01-11 01:25 PM
    My guess is that it is someone that goes to school with your daughter. But as you can see it only took a matter of a few minutes to figure out where she was calling from.
    That's my guess, also. I don't think this person was smart enough to spoof the caller ID. I just thought the sheriff's dept might move more efficiently if they had a name to go along with the number.

As for blocking the number, Verizon provides a blocking service right on the website. I really believe this is a one time thing by a bored teenage girl on a snow day and don't expect to really need to block it.

But, I do believe that the person responsible needs to know that there are repercussions to doing something like this.
    02-01-11 01:30 PM
    Reed is right that I can't see the nationality.

I'm in the US. I'm telling you my experience. How many of you had threatening phone calls about being raped and stalked? What was your personal experience when you took your evidence to the police?

This happened to me. The threats were very graphic, close to home and horrifying. I'm telling you what the police did. They were nice. They took the evidence. They took my log sheet and gave me advice and pepper spray.

They said they couldn't do anything...meaning arrest him...unless he physically harmed me. If I saw him I could call them. That's all after the fact though.

I guess the point I'm getting is that even in 2004 when you were victimized by this thug coward, the police could have and should have done something. I was a state trooper for 15 years and can tell that in 2004, if you came into the state police office in my state, this guy would have been arrested. What he did was a crime, no question about it. He made repeated threatening, obscene and harassing calls. Obviously that doesn't change anything, you still had to deal with it and the fact the police were so lazy is shameful.
    Draconianfire83 likes this.
    02-01-11 01:31 PM
    Maybe it was just a matter of going to the wrong cop. I don't know. I'm not a cop hater at all. I think they do a great job. I'm just telling you what my experience with this was.

If the OP takes these texts to the police, I'd be interested to hear how they handle it. Please post back.

02-01-11 01:33 PM
    That's my guess, also. I don't think this person was smart enough to spoof the caller ID. I just thought the sheriff's dept might move more efficiently if they had a name to go along with the number.

As for blocking the number, Verizon provides a blocking service right on the website. I really believe this is a one time thing by a bored teenage girl on a snow day and don't expect to really need to block it.

But, I do believe that the person responsible needs to know that there are repercussions to doing something like this.
    Hopefully you have preserved the text messages to provide the police. By the way, I am very well acquianted with the Director of Corporate Security for Verizon Wireless and his boss, the Chief Security Officer for Verizon Communications.
    02-01-11 01:34 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience Chrisy - however dawgman and jake are correct...times have changed and you (the victim) can file charges against someone for this action (stalking / harassing phone calls, etc.). In our case here in MS (and if we have the info available) we will pay them a visit and notify them to stop all contact. An arrest can only be done after this order is violated (or actual physical harm has been done).

To the OP - Take it to the authorities (check yourself to see what laws apply - but keep in mind that all officers are NOT all knowing) and see what can be done. Good Luck
    02-01-11 01:36 PM
    Does your daughter know who it is?
    How did the perp get the #?
    are the threats directed at her?
    Are they mistexts?
    02-01-11 01:36 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD