Today was an exiting day for RIM.... Er BlackBerry. I have been very excited about this announcement and had been glued to the news feeds all day, checking out the news here and on the Verge. Haven't gotten work done, but that's ok, I'm the boss. There were a lot of good things to come out today, and other things not so good. The hardware looks fantastic, I don't get how people say it looks like an iPhone, I holding in my hands and the Z10 doesn't look like it except for being a black rectangle. Everyone says the device feels solid and great in the hands. The specs seem on par for a high end device, and as long as the performance is there, and all indications suggest it is. 2gb ram is a big plus, only thing i wished they had a 32gb version. I know it has an SD card reader, but I prefer the memory being built in. The screen seems to be the perfect size, Kevin already gave a great example on why in his review. I still have to touch the device myself, but all indications seem that it's great.

I didn't like the presentation style too much, it felt too Microsofty, especially when they brought out Alicia Keys and gave her that faux title. Was disappointed they didn't show more of the Q10, but what they of the BB10 OS looks fantastic. It seems to have a little more polish than what we've seen before. I like that they're doing a lot of that gradient shading, 2D/3D look that iOS and modern google ui is using and not overdoing the skuemorphic elements like iOS and not completely flat 2D like windows. I'm glad they seemed to have kept the "BlackBerry" color and font scheme as it really gives it a distinct modern look while still being BlackBerry.

I really like the UI overall, the active tiles look worlds better than live tiles in windows phone, and a much better multitasking metaphor than used on either iOS or android. It looks very smooth and polished, something that has really only been done correctly on the iPhone. Android is definitely looking polished at this point, but still isn't as smooth, and windows phone is very smooth but far from polished. The UI definitely seems fresh and I can't wait to own one, though from what I've seen I do have some gripes. I don't like the look of the icons, there doesn't seem to be folder support on the home screen, you can't "pin" your active tiles, and there doesn't seem to be a way to go directly to a message when you receive it, you have to go the hub and find it from there. All thing easily fixed with an update, and the base UI, the foundation, is VERY strong.

App support seems to be decent, though very disappointed in the android ports. From what I've seen, native apps built for BB10 look and work fantastic, but there seems to be a lot of android ports, poorly done playbook ports, and "spammy" apps that beef up the number of apps but do nothing to fulfill the need for apps. Hopefully in time app developers will jump on board and the problem should fix itself if this platform does good enough, which I hope it does. Also disappointed to see no Hulu or Netflix app at launch, but the browser should be good enough to work around that limitation.

The browser seems to be the real game changer, Apple promises the full web when they announced the iPhone, but Blackberry is the one who is delivering on that promise 6 years later. I can't wait to use it myself and hope its everything it's been hyped to be, and after using the playbook browser I'm confident it will be.

Happy that BB10 supports web email standards, there's a rumor going around that it won't support push email, but that is false. It supports active sync and imap push (gmail and yahoo), as well as caldav and carddav. So gmail users don't freak out.

Happy it's coming out on all the US carriers, though I hope the delay isn't a preview of what is to come with software updates where the carriers will hold those back.

Sorry if some of that was random, just a lot going through my mind at the moment. Can't wait to pick one up and I should be able to get the Q10 on my birthday April.

What do you guys think?
    01-30-13 02:15 PM
    I've been a long time iPhone user and have been very patiently waiting for this new phone which I'll get as soon as possible. There are about 15 or 20 big advantages over the iPhone and if it had only half that number I would still be happily making the switch. I'm sorry some people are disappointed with the actual presentation or the lack of surprises or their long wait time but the phone itself and the operating system still look outstanding. To think that I'll finally be able to really multitask on my phone, that I'll be able to actually handle files like a grown-up, view complete websites, plug it into a tv, connect it to any computer, change the battery, add an SD card, use natural gestures to manoeuvre between all those overlapping features is just going to be amazing. I've got a strong feeling that going back to the iPhone after that will be like going back to a cassette tape player.
    01-30-13 06:00 PM
    good posts
    very interesting reads
    phylez likes this.
    01-30-13 06:02 PM
    2gb ram is a big plus, only thing i wished they had a 32gb version. I know it has an SD card reader, but I prefer the memory being built in.
    Any particular reason why? Additional storage that can be removed is a good thing.
    01-30-13 07:52 PM
    good posts
    very interesting reads
    01-30-13 08:01 PM
    Well, in my experience in the past, anything put on the SD card is slower to load and more prone be unstable. Maybe it was just my experience with Android phones, but to me the SD card only really works well with keeping your photos on there. There were even problems with the performance of it when Windows 7 first came out. I know other people love having the expandable memory, but I would prefer to pay more and have that extra memory built in.
    01-30-13 08:02 PM
    I've been a long time iPhone user and have been very patiently waiting for this new phone which I'll get as soon as possible. There are about 15 or 20 big advantages over the iPhone and if it had only half that number I would still be happily making the switch. I'm sorry some people are disappointed with the actual presentation or the lack of surprises or their long wait time but the phone itself and the operating system still look outstanding. To think that I'll finally be able to really multitask on my phone, that I'll be able to actually handle files like a grown-up, view complete websites, plug it into a tv, connect it to any computer, change the battery, add an SD card, use natural gestures to manoeuvre between all those overlapping features is just going to be amazing. I've got a strong feeling that going back to the iPhone after that will be like going back to a cassette tape player.
    Very well said
    01-30-13 08:03 PM
    Well, in my experience in the past, anything put on the SD card is slower to load and more prone be unstable. Maybe it was just my experience with Android phones, but to me the SD card only really works well with keeping your photos on there. There were even problems with the performance of it when Windows 7 first came out. I know other people love having the expandable memory, but I would prefer to pay more and have that extra memory built in.
    The class rating on the SD cards makes a big difference in the speed.
    01-30-13 08:09 PM
    That is nice to hear. I've thought of getting and iPhone a few times before but always stuck around. Idk what people are complaining for. This phone looks fantastic.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 08:19 PM
    I see, but like someone said, the class determines speed. My thing with built-in storage is that if the device fails you lose all of your stuff.
    01-30-13 08:34 PM
    I see, but like someone said, the class determines speed. My thing with built-in storage is that if the device fails you lose all of your stuff.
    This is where I hope they expand the capabilities of Blackberry Protect. On my iPhone, it backs up to iCloud automatically every night when I charge it. And it backs up EVERYTHING, from my call logs, text messages, pictures, videos, contacts, and even app data. So if my phone does fail, I just restore to my iCloud and my new phone is up and running EXACTLY like my lost or broken one.
    01-30-13 10:15 PM
    Interesting perspectives from the other side.

I swear, between missing NYC fan night and VZW delaying the launch I'm about ready to kill...
    01-30-13 10:54 PM