Just checked out the liveblog on HTC upcoming phones for WP8, Nokia did a better job. All of these dry Flagship releases make me feel better about BB10 success and ability to grab up customers in the coming months and take some back. They announced no software features and 2 hardware features a camera that is supposedly already in their other phone that is already out and beats.......

No one is bringing us a new user experience. I feel that is BB10 strong point when selling, iPhone brought a new user experience in 2007 and we will get another in 2013. from 3 features we can see that they are innovating...hopefully next week brings us some more features i'm open for another 3
    09-19-12 11:07 AM
    MS is forcing hardware partners to keep tight lipped about WP8 features and integration.
    09-19-12 11:17 AM
    I think WP8 and phones running it will sell as well as WP7. I've seen nothing that would add more appeal than previous version. Desktop apps will not be running on phone/tablets, they will be different versions. Just MHO.
    09-19-12 11:20 AM
    I think that their new phones seem to offer an experience similar to their past iterations. But I think that they will sell, mainly due to the color choices. Time will tell.
    09-19-12 11:28 AM
    They look nice. HTC is clearly taking design cues from Nokia, though HTC's matte surfaces look nicer than the ultra-glossy Lumia 920 shell (but I ultimately prefer the grey Lumia 920).

Will they sell? I dunno. Microsoft will be pushing WP8 aggressively, and unlike the Lumias 900 and 710, these things are going to be available on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. If the carriers really push them, I could see the phones carving out a WP8 niche along with the Lumias 920 and 820 based on attractive hardware and integration with various Microsoft services and devices.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    09-19-12 11:38 AM
    MS is forcing hardware partners to keep tight lipped about WP8 features and integration.
    I mean their own software features like Nokia has all their mapping and camera apps integrated with WP8 and the exclusive Angry Birds store stuff like that
    09-19-12 11:39 AM
    I thought it looked remarkably similar to Nokia's design, and i see that it may dilute Nokia's marketshare for WP. Despite so, i still thought Nokia's devices are more impressive feature-wise. I was pleasantly surprised at the direction HTC took with their WP8 devices, giving them unique designs instead of just recycling their designs for Android devices. The striking hardware does seem to suit the WP8 UI pretty nicely.

Though ultimately, i think the best looking WP is still the Lumia 800. The best size too. 3.7" is frankly a really usable size with one hand.

In terms of thoughts regarding how it will affect BB10, nope. I think nothing at this point could make a huge difference anymore. BB10 has been said to be coming for such a long time already, that people already have made a decision. Whether to wait and buying it for sure. To wait till they see more before deciding. Or, gave up waiting, and going with other recently launched handsets. And people who are really waiting for BB10 are a minority. No matter how awesome BB10 might be, it will take some time for it to pick up as well.

Even RIM themselves have said that BB10's initial target audience is toward BB fans, these are the people that will be buying it. Then when that happens and BB10 is on the street, friends of BB fans are bound to be intrigued. If the product is really impressive, RIM will start to have themselves a word of mouth advertising going on, which imo is the best type of advertising.

Unless RIM has something really interesting and impressive to show about BB10 next week that could sway people who are still undecided over, I think that eventually when WP8 devices hit the market towards the end of this year, they may just make a decision then to go with either of the 3 other platform.

I know clearly what I love about BB devices that isn't on other platforms, so there's a 90% chance of me going with BB10 (10% for "you'd never know, RIM may c0cked it up"). But still my overall thoughts on the 8X and 8S is extremely positive, the same as my thoughts on the Nokia 920/820, the iPhone 5, and S3. They are all good devices in their own rights. So RIM really does have a difficult task ahead of them, as BB10 will be a brand new platform, with brand new user paradigm and UI. But if they pull it off, its going to be a spectacular comeback.
    09-19-12 11:43 AM
    They look nice. HTC is clearly taking design cues from Nokia, though HTC's matte surfaces look nicer than the ultra-glossy Lumia 920 shell (but I ultimately prefer the grey Lumia 920).

Will they sell? I dunno. Microsoft will be pushing WP8 aggressively, and unlike the Lumias 900 and 710, these things are going to be available on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. If the carriers really push them, I could see the phones carving out a WP8 niche along with the Lumias 920 and 820 based on attractive hardware and integration with various Microsoft services and devices.
    Agree! i very much prefer the matte surfaces on the HTCs. They look cleaner. On videos of the Lumia 920, most of them have fingerprints, smudges on the back of the phone. I would go for the matte black lumia 920 as well (as i have a matte black Lumia 800 as well and it looks damn fine).
    09-19-12 11:46 AM
    What are people expecting to hear next week from RIM?
    09-19-12 11:48 AM
    I mean their own software features like Nokia has all their mapping and camera apps integrated with WP8 and the exclusive Angry Birds store stuff like that
    Nokia Drive/Maps will be available on all WP8 devices, not just the Nokia-branded ones.

Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

Windows Phone 8: Nokia Maps will reportedly replace Bing Maps with 3D navigation | The Verge
    09-19-12 11:55 AM
    What are people expecting to hear next week from RIM?
    Unfortunately, anything from the BB10 Jam session will probably be overshadowed by the quarterly financial report.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    09-19-12 12:00 PM
    Agree! i very much prefer the matte surfaces on the HTCs. They look cleaner. On videos of the Lumia 920, most of them have fingerprints, smudges on the back of the phone. I would go for the matte black lumia 920 as well (as i have a matte black Lumia 800 as well and it looks damn fine).
    I agree with you that the Lumia 800 is the nicest looking Windows Phone to date. It's wonderful with the matte finish and curved glass. I wish that Nokia hadn't felt the need to go humungous with all of its American WP flagships. The Lumia 900 looks nice (particularly in cyan), but it's gigantic, and the 920 is basically the same.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    09-19-12 12:04 PM
    OK. Thanks for that
    09-19-12 12:07 PM
    I agree with you that the Lumia 800 is the nicest looking Windows Phone to date. It's wonderful with the matte finish and curved glass. I wish that Nokia hadn't felt the need to go humungous with all of its American WP flagships. The Lumia 900 looks nice (particularly in cyan), but it's gigantic, and the 920 is basically the same.
    The Samsung ATIV has almost the same design as the SGIII.
    09-19-12 12:11 PM
    My two cents, looks like windows and its hardware partners are making a genius play here. Although not much has changed from nokia offerings of last year other then specs. They look fresher, hipper and more interesting from a design stand point. I think windows is pushing for the teen and young adult under 30 crowd and i think they are going to win them over with neat designs and colors like these.

From the tear down new leaks of the L series on creakberry. Its sure looking like a cheaply made plastic bigger sized clone of iphone 5 with different buttons and no metal accents or body. Boring and stale really. And before people start saying just leaks, it looks like the cat is out of the bag like with iphone5. I will be very surprised if the L series is any different then the leaks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    09-19-12 12:16 PM
    Unfortunately, anything from the BB10 Jam session will probably be overshadowed by the quarterly financial report.
    Unfortunately, i think that will be the case too. Perhaps even by RIMM reaching a new low.

The Samsung ATIV has almost the same design as the SGIII.
    When i saw the ATIV S, i thought that it was what the SGIII would have been if they had decided not to "design it for humans". hahaha. The ATIV looks more like the SGII, instead of the SIII.
    09-19-12 12:17 PM
    My two cents, looks like windows and its hardware partners are making a genius play here. Although not much has changed from nokia offerings of last year other then specs. They look fresher, hipper and more interesting from a design stand point. I think windows is pushing for the teen and young adult under 30 crowd and i think they are going to win them over with neat designs and colors like these.

From the tear down new leaks of the L series on creakberry. Its sure looking like a cheaply made plastic bigger sized clone of iphone 5 with different buttons and no metal accents or body. Boring and stale really. And before people start saying just leaks, it looks like the cat is out of the bag like with iphone5. I will be very surprised if the L series is any different then the leaks.

Nokia actually started that particular design with the N9. It's doubtful you'll see many N9s in the US, though.
    09-19-12 12:21 PM
    Unfortunately, i think that will be the case too. Perhaps even by RIMM reaching a new low.
    If I were a RIM executive, I would have scheduled the BB10 Jam session the week after the investor report.

When i saw the ATIV S, i thought that it was what the SGIII would have been if they had decided not to "design it for humans". hahaha. The ATIV looks more like the SGII, instead of the SIII.
    You're right! The ATIV S does look more like the SGII.
    09-19-12 12:30 PM
    Quite surprised at HTC using polycarbonate for its WP phones. Why are they copying Nokia? I have the Amaze and it's completely different from anything released by Samsung, LG, or Nokia. Wonder why they didn't adopt the One Series design for WP8 (would like pretty nice...)
    09-19-12 01:32 PM
    Nokia actually started that particular design with the N9. It's doubtful you'll see many N9s in the US, though.
    Like I said nothing new just refined a bit, the kicker are those great colors and great specs as well as the now called modern ui. Their is great buzz around the win8 already. So time will only tell. People like style and flash, and like apple, samsung, windows is going for great looking hardware to bring in the masses.
    Rim has its marketing work cut out for them to claw back into major relevance once more.

09-19-12 01:36 PM
    I'm just confused about what people think might be revealed, as neither of these are typically the venue for any major announcements.
    09-19-12 02:02 PM
    I'm just confused about what people think might be revealed, as neither of these are typically the venue for any major announcements.
    Gotcha!

You're right. I don't expect to hear anything much about actual new devices at either venue.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    09-19-12 02:07 PM
    I like the WP8 phones I've been seeing. Definitely my second choice behind BB. There seems to be a wide selection with decent specs and I like the tile system the OS is using.
    09-19-12 02:11 PM
    I don't think HTC copied Nokia at all, except maybe with the colors. Nokia's wrapped around, uni-body design is different, and I do like it. However, the 920 seems too heavy and too thick to me. This is where HTC wins for me with the 8X. It is much lighter than the 920. I would like to have the 920's camera, but the 8X has the same camera as the HTC One X, which was quite good.

I like the HTC 8X a lot. I do wonder if Nokia's services and custom features might be better, but I like HTC's design better.

My wife is probably going to switch from the iPhone 4 to either the 8X or the GSIII. Our neighbor has the Verizon GSIII however and hates it. She says it drops calls a lot. If my wife switches away from iPhone, I will probably go Windows Phone 8 or BB10 from my iPhone 4S. It is hard to switch from the media side of the iPhone, but I like to try new phones. I do miss some BB features in terms of calendar, email, and contacts management.

I will be getting a Windows 8 convertible tablet / laptop. I like Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 a lot. I am just not sure if Windows Phone 8 is developed enough in terms of ecosystem.
    09-19-12 02:24 PM
    Gotcha!

You're right. I don't expect to hear anything much about actual new devices at either venue.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Device i dont expect to hear about, OS i do it is developer conference right? new tools will be released showing the same 3 features would be a almost a waste of money for developers going no??
    09-19-12 02:52 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD