You can find them on ebay for about $25.
    08-13-15 02:30 PM
    For the right price, I'd love a text-only display ultra rugged and lightweight waterproof clamshell as a second phone.

Voice, messaging (including BBM) and email only with no apps, games or Web browser.

Also, 72 hour standby time.

I would pay $250 for it.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 03:36 PM
    This also existed..... the BlackBerry Style 9670. Think it was exclusive for Sprint in the US.

Thoughts on flip phones "coming back?"-blackberry_style_image.jpg

Thoughts on flip phones "coming back?"-2010-10-21stylep.jpg

Posted via CB10
    meow_chan likes this.
    08-13-15 03:36 PM
    Whoa!!! I didn't know that BB had a clamshell phone before. I know there was a slide thingy, but this...!!! Personally, I WANT A CLAMSHELL PHONE. I love the sound when you close it after you're done texting or calling. And it fits snugly even on small pockets. I hope BB will create one again.
    Not one, two: Pearl Flip and Style
    meow_chan likes this.
    08-13-15 04:54 PM
    The pearl flip was so elegant looking on the outside. Too bad it didn't come late enough for the trackpad rather than the trackball.
    08-13-15 07:49 PM
    Flips never died in Japan. There are some beautiful phones over there, some of which have limited 3G compatibility in North America. [...cut...]
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Indeed flip phones are still very popular here. Specially with ppl 40 and over. Flip phones are adept for typing in phonetic Japanese and have had mail/sms functions more akin to present smart phones. Read a story about a specific flip phone here that allowed you to have a "secret" sms/mail account that could be protected from anybody using the phone. According to the article this particular phone became popular among married men/women having double lives. However younger generations are more into the smartphone slab. Yesterday on TV a poll on mid/high school girls on smartphone ownership mentioned how in 2014 +54% of respondents had a smartphone and now is 99%!

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-13-15 08:10 PM
    Indeed flip phones are still very popular here. Specially with ppl 40 and over. Flip phones are adept for typing in phonetic Japanese and have had mail/sms functions more akin to present smart phones. Read a story about a specific flip phone here that allowed you to have a "secret" sms/mail account that could be protected from anybody using the phone. According to the article this particular phone became popular among married men/women having double lives. However younger generations are more into the smartphone slab. Yesterday on TV a poll on mid/high school girls on smartphone ownership mentioned how in 2014 +54% of respondents had a smartphone and now is 99%!

I remember those articles about what the media referred to as the Fujitsu affair phone. Here's a Wall St. Journal article on it: Japan's Philanderers Stay Faithful to Their 'Infidelity Phones' - WSJ It seems like a great security feature to me. Everything safe from the average prying eyes, without the need for a lockscreen passcode.
    08-13-15 09:25 PM
    I remember those articles about what the media referred to as the Fujitsu affair phone. Here's a Wall St. Journal article on it: Japan's Philanderers Stay Faithful to Their 'Infidelity Phones' - WSJ It seems like a great security feature to me. Everything safe from the average prying eyes, without the need for a lockscreen passcode.
    Exactly! Thanks for posting the link. Also I see many flip phones and candy bar phones usually in tough environments. Delivery people, construction workers, security guards,etc. Those phones are affordable and easy to replace.
    Cheers

08-13-15 11:17 PM
    After reading the article you posted the link for l searched out other articles on Japanese flip phones. I found an article from Engadget dated May 19, 2014. The first few sentences gave me a chuckle, especially considering it was published pre-Passport release:
    "The buttons are easier to type on, the battery lasts longer, it's familiar. No, we're not talking about BlackBerry this time, but the Japanese feature phone. Glorious, folding forefather to the smartphone, ..."

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    08-14-15 03:13 AM
    Well folks, I've got a 9670 Style on Boost and when I talked to them a few months ago they had BIS on a $35 mo plan w/5gigs 3g.
    05-06-17 03:03 AM
    I still remember having a Blackberry flip phone back in the day. I know a lot of older folks who would buy a flip phone over a slab model in a minute.

I would think with the smartphone technology they have today, one of the major manufacturers out there what he marketing one if there was enough interest in them.
    05-06-17 08:45 AM
    A niche product needs a niche manufacturer, and if Blackberry isn't /was not a niche manufacturer over the past five+ years I don't know what one would look like. There were a few of us, well at least two anyway, who pined for a Style running BB10 back when it was still considered a viable fetus. We both knew without a market it would never happen, so I asked if she was willing to take fertility drugs so one could be built from scratch. True. ������

I'd be satisfied with one upgradeable from 6 to 7, but our bizarre phone god, meaning RIM/Blackberry, in its grate (sic) wisdom, chose to not enable that.

Today I suspect the best to hope for would be some flip diehards kickstarting one contracted to a Chinese shop using Ubuntu or something like it with the BB badge.

Hmmmmm......anybody here speak Mandarin or Cantonese?
    Last edited by KeebordKrazy; 05-08-17 at 01:10 AM. Reason: forgot smiley
    05-06-17 11:29 PM
    BTW: That means NO Google.
    05-07-17 03:17 AM
    no it wouldn't. another piece of out-dated technology that won't sell. Give users what they want to buy....an updated slab phone!
    Updated slab ? Aren't there tons out there?
    05-07-17 03:31 AM
    There's no flip phone closing sound like the Style's. It's a loud slap heard across the room if you want it to. ������
    05-07-17 06:37 AM
    A BlackBerry Style successor would be really cool but wouldn't sell at all. BlackBerry needs to move forward, not backwards.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe BlackBerry can release a new smartphone with the nostalgic look of their early colour email devices for other of us who want communication without the annoyance of telephone conversation.
    05-14-17 08:06 PM
66 123