This is the reason I will probably never leave BlackBerry...

Back in February, when the earthquake occurred in Chile, I was home in Toronto sleeping on the morning on of the 27th when it occurred. I don't usually wake up randomly but I couldn't go back to sleep so I decided to watch some TV. I don't remember leaving the channel on CNN but that's where it was when I turned it on and it was covering what was happening in the capitol, Santiago and other areas that were not directly hit. about 90% of my family is there so I immediately tried to call my dad but all the phone lines were congested with people calling from all over the world or the possibility that they were just down. At this time I'm not exactly calm as I keep trying to call home, when I suddenly realize that my dad has a company BlackBerry so I instantly BBM him. The check came up almost instantly. It took a few minutes to see the "D" which was a HUGE relief instantly, and a few seconds later the "R" came up and I saw he was writing back. I stayed up and talked to him for the rest of the morning. In the end, my family was ok being far from the epicenter but if it wasn't for BBM I don't know how long I would have had to wait to find out how they were. So, thanks RIM.
    07-20-10 08:18 PM
    Definitely a cool story, goes to show that as long as we don't rely on our initial gut form of contact other solutions will prevail
    07-20-10 08:22 PM
    Great story, and glad to hear they were okay. The power of BlackBerry comes out on top yet again!
    07-20-10 08:26 PM
    That's a great story!! Technology has really come a long way. Just think about it. Glad your family was safe
    07-20-10 08:48 PM
    Awesome story and glad your family was safe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-10 09:08 PM
    07-20-10 09:22 PM
    Very cool, I know that sense of relief that sweeps over you (have been in similar circumstances). Glad to hear they were ok and that BBM came through for you!
    07-20-10 09:54 PM
    Nice link... That explains a lot. I really can't see myself switching to another phone lol.
    07-20-10 10:30 PM
    Great story. I recently got a Blackberry Bold 9700 and I ended up giving my Curve 8520 to my boyfriend so just in case anything happens, I have his PIN. Glad that your family was free of harm.
    07-20-10 11:23 PM
    Glad to hear your family was OK, and you shared your story. The story about the BlackBerry communications on September 11, 2001 is one of the things that makes me appreciate the device I choose to carry. I mostly use messaging and data, and the BlackBerry serves me in the same capacity I originally thought I needed a computer for.

07-20-10 11:52 PM
    Great story that!

Here's another, slightly different. Think he must have been using one of those tanks with a trackball here:

Blackberry Prevents Skier From Falling 700 Ft - ABC News

07-21-10 06:24 AM
    Very nice!!!
    07-21-10 06:28 AM
    Another one here - bit more serious - Tayside Fire Service in Scotland, pretty much relying on BlackBerry to operate -

http://uk.blackberry.com/newsroom/su...cue%20(UK).pdf
    07-21-10 06:35 AM
    Great story. I'm glad your family was save.

And again, this clearly shows what a BlackBerry is for - Communication! It is not just a toy to be played with like other devices. Sure other devices have their advantages, but a BB is always a save choice in my oppinion.

Would anyone expect IM+, BeeJive or other Instant Messaging Apps running on their device in a situation like this? Let's be realistic, probably not. No matter what device, people likely want to save battery (or there are other reasons), they dont have it running in the background. They keep the IM-Apps closed and access them manually, and thus are not always available.

I understand the whole cross platform communication concept of IM-Apps, but BBM is just something else. It's like a Text-Walki-Talki that is always active, you know that you will very likely reach the PIN you intend to, and in a situation like that described by @mannyfresh3 it is literary a life saver.

How often does something like that happen to a person? It happens not too often, maybe never. But I personally would rather have this communication option, rather than a browser on a phone. But thats just me.
    07-21-10 08:00 AM
    WOOOO go BB glad everyone was ok
    07-21-10 08:10 AM
    I always enjoy stories like this. Glad to know all was well.
    07-21-10 08:47 AM
    Another testament to how solid BB really is!
    07-21-10 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD