BlackBerry users on OSx subscribe to BIS. They either have a $5 BIS charge on their bill or their carrier hides the fee in the data plan.

The way I see it, a big barrier to people upgrading from Bolds and Curves to Z's and Q's is that they're still locked into carrier contracts and aren't yet eligible to upgrade their phones. My dad for example has a 9900 but is 20 months away from being eligible to upgrade. He wants a Z10, but can't have one.

Some people will pay full price to have the latest phone but most won't. Most people have better things to spend $600 on than a phone.

So what about this - if you're locked into a BlackBerry plan, BlackBerry gets $5 per month from you. If you trade in your phone and keep your plan unchanged (like I did), BlackBerry still gets $5 per month, but doesn't provide you BIS services.

For people with 12 months or more left on their contract, perhaps BlackBerry could return that $5/mo to the carrier to subsidize the new phone?
    07-09-13 07:29 PM
    BlackBerry users on OSx subscribe to BIS. They either have a $5 BIS charge on their bill or their carrier hides the fee in the data plan.

The way I see it, a big barrier to people upgrading from Bolds and Curves to Z's and Q's is that they're still locked into carrier contracts and aren't yet eligible to upgrade their phones. My dad for example has a 9900 but is 20 months away from being eligible to upgrade. He wants a Z10, but can't have one.

Some people will pay full price to have the latest phone but most won't. Most people have better things to spend $600 on than a phone.

So what about this - if you're locked into a BlackBerry plan, BlackBerry gets $5 per month from you. If you trade in your phone and keep your plan unchanged (like I did), BlackBerry still gets $5 per month, but doesn't provide you BIS services.

For people with 12 months or more left on their contract, perhaps BlackBerry could return that $5/mo to the carrier to subsidize the new phone?
    or the carrier could change you plan to a non BIS plan? isn't that just easier. I know obviously its different between countries, so there wont be a `one size fits all` solution.
    07-09-13 07:45 PM
    There's a considerable amount being looked over here, and for too many reasons this kind of thing just wouldn't work... BlackBerry does have a hardware upgrade program, et cetera... You're father can have a Z10, if he pays full price as you eventually say or if you can get a contractual release, I mean there are so many options that aren't covered here and I believe you have some great misconceptions about BIS plan charges, but without getting to much into it, I can't see this working.
    07-09-13 07:47 PM
    or the carrier could change you plan to a non BIS plan? isn't that just easier.

Getting out of a BIS plan was easier for me. The BIS fee is included with the $30 data fee, which is for 6GB. I wasn't going to give that up
    07-09-13 08:00 PM
    I mean there are so many options that aren't covered here and I believe you have some great misconceptions about BIS plan charges, but without getting to much into it, I can't see this working.

Such as? Bell has already said "No way" to an upgrade.

And what are my misconceptions of the BIS fee? He's obviously paying $5 to subscribe to BIS, which he wouldn't be using if he upgraded. But Bell is still colllecting and remitting that fee to BlackBerry. BlackBerry is getting the fee to not provide the service, surely there's a way BB could somehow use that to subsidize an upgrade.
    07-09-13 08:02 PM
    Well, I believe the contract period is there to amortize the subsidized upfront cost of his Bold. It doesn't have much to do with BIS. Did he pay for his Bold outright or get a subsidized price? If he didn't pay outright... then, that's the issue. In principle you can break the contract by paying the fee + the prorated remaining 'price' of your subsidized phone. Or you can just buy a Z10 outright...

The bottom line is: they give you a cheap phone to lure you into a contract. Once you're in a contract they have zero motivation to give you another cheap phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 08:21 PM
    If your dad has 20 months to go on his contract, he must have gotten it right before the Z10 was released. On a contract, so he got a subsidy. He can pay the ETF to end his contract early. It all depends on how badly he wants a Z10.

Posted using the Diva's Z
    07-09-13 09:58 PM
    Such as? Bell has already said "No way" to an upgrade.

And what are my misconceptions of the BIS fee? He's obviously paying $5 to subscribe to BIS, which he wouldn't be using if he upgraded. But Bell is still colllecting and remitting that fee to BlackBerry. BlackBerry is getting the fee to not provide the service, surely there's a way BB could somehow use that to subsidize an upgrade.

As a former mobile sales rep, I can tell you that Bell would change the plan entirely (or Rogers, etc.). The fee collection doesn't work like that with the systems that the carriers have in place and it would cost too much for the $5 to be worth it for either BlackBerry or any provider. And your dad's plan would go up by the way.

It would be better if BlackBerry gave your dad a credit for turning in his older device to get a new Z10. He'd get it cheaper, but again, he'd have to change his plan. Which again, will probably cost more.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 10:06 PM
    Well, I believe the contract period is there to amortize the subsidized upfront cost of his Bold. It doesn't have much to do with BIS. Did he pay for his Bold outright or get a subsidized price? If he didn't pay outright... then, that's the issue.
    I understand how phone subsidies work.

If he dropped his 9900 and got a Z10, He'd be dropping BIS, but still paying for it as part of his contract. RIM, collecting BIS fees on a service they're no longer prviding to a Z10, could return the BIS fees as a way to offset the portion of the bill going to repay the subsidy on the 9900.
    07-10-13 01:09 AM
    It would be better if BlackBerry gave your dad a credit for turning in his older device to get a new Z10. He'd get it cheaper, but again, he'd have to change his plan. Which again, will probably cost more.
    Not sure why the plan would change. I never changed mine.
    07-10-13 01:10 AM
    I understand how phone subsidies work.

If he dropped his 9900 and got a Z10, He'd be dropping BIS, but still paying for it as part of his contract. RIM, collecting BIS fees on a service they're no longer prviding to a Z10, could return the BIS fees as a way to offset the portion of the bill going to repay the subsidy on the 9900.
    I get your point now. I bought my Z10 outright here in the US and my bill didn't change... now you've got me thinking that I'm being ripped off for BIS... although, when I looked into it at the time, any change towards a current plan would have resulted in a bill increase or usage allowance reduction.

Posted via CB10
    DJRikko likes this.
    07-10-13 11:02 AM
    I get your point now. I bought my Z10 outright here in the US and my bill didn't change... now you've got me thinking that I'm being ripped off for BIS... although, when I looked into it at the time, any change towards a current plan would have resulted in a bill increase or usage allowance reduction.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my point (see above).

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    07-10-13 04:55 PM
    Exactly my point (see above).
    Which is, exactly?
    07-10-13 05:17 PM
    That there is nothing to be refunded and they will just rip you off more with any new non-BIS plans you get with the Z10. lol

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 05:22 PM
    That there is nothing to be refunded and they will just rip you off more with any new non-BIS plans you get with the Z10. lol
    Interesting. I still have a BIS plan with my Z10. Someone's getting $5.
    07-10-13 05:50 PM