Ahem, you do realise that BB10 is QNX right? It is extremely valuable, far more secure than android, iOS and Windows/Phone combined. No exploits exist either, or have been already patched immediately if found, before the public knew about them.
    BB10 uses QNX but QNX does so much more. You don't need to further development of BB10 to use QNX in other applications.

I'm not disputing that we would all like to see BB10 become like iOS where it has all of latest and coolest, I just don't think BlackBerry has the resources to pursue it anymore. Their security business is about software at this point, and software of other OS.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    09-09-15 07:39 AM
    Yes, true. My mistake, sorry.
    Not a problem. The point is, Android apps have been in BB World since Day 1. BlackBerry promoted the fact that some "name" apps, such as Kindle, would be there, and some of them were. But Kindle and many others were (and are) Android apps.

This is in contrast to what Microsoft is attempting to do, which is to provide tools to make the conversion of Android to actual native WP apps easy. The "porting" of Android apps to BB World was about as easy as one could want, in many cases, but many developers refused to go near it. I don't imagine Microsoft will do better with what is still a dicier process...unless their user base gets a serious bump first. Then maybe Android developers will take a look.

As many have pointed out in this thread and others, many of us who "want BlackBerry to go Android" would really prefer to see BB10 flourish, with a robust ecosystem of apps and services. It's just that we've lost the ability to suspend disbelief, so we're trying to sustain some enthusiasm for what appears to be inevitable.

Some have already "checked out", in that they're just waiting for the final word, at which point they'll move to another platform. Personally, I'm not one of those. I want to see what BlackBerry Android looks like before going anywhere. I use Android anyway, some of the time, but I think I'd like an implementation of Android that looks and feels more like BB10. Hard to say without seeing it in action.
    09-09-15 07:53 AM
    Ahem, you do realise that BB10 is QNX right? It is extremely valuable, far more secure than android, iOS and Windows/Phone combined. No exploits exist either, or have been already patched immediately if found, before the public knew about them.
    Nope the PlayBook got rooted and everyone knew before an update came that prevented it. And you could factory reset your PlayBook after the update to get it back to a state where it could be rooted again. BlackBerry was made aware of the issue before the root was made public, but didn't act on it until their hand was forced by the exploit going public. So no fortress is impenetrable, not even BlackBerry's.

Posted via Z30
    MC_A_DOT likes this.
    09-09-15 07:56 AM
    I think most here would agree with you that BB10 is a great OS.

Sadly BlackBerry is a business, and as a product... BB10 is pretty much worthless. Doesn't matter how much has been invested into it's development. It doesn't matter how secure it can be made when paried with BES. It doesn't matter if there are a few 100K customers that "might" be left wondering what they'll do without it. It doesn't matter if there are a few hardcore fans that don't want to see it go.

It's like a chicken that stops laying eggs......
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    09-09-15 08:01 AM
    I'm not so sure that I would consider QNX "extremely valuable". QNX has been around for at least 30 years now. If QNX was so amazing and valuable than why didn't Apple buy it to use for their smartphone OS? Why didn't Google buy it for their smartphone OS? Sony, Nintendo and loads of other companies all have operating systems. Why didn't they buy the amazing QNX? All of those years and the "extremely valuable" QNX never got bought until BlackBerry came around and spent $200 million on it.

Do we really think that BlackBerry is smarter than Apple, Google and all of the other companies that completely ignored the amazing and extremely valuable QNX? Or is it possible that BlackBerry was the only company who was dumb enough to sink their money into it?

How much profit has BlackBerry made from their QNX-based products?

Here are some interesting facts - On the day that BlackBerry bought QNX, their stock was worth around $70 per share. They had a revenue of around 4.5 billion and added 4.9 million new BlackBerry users that same quarter. They made nearly a billion dollars just in profit for that quarter and had 2.87 billion dollars in cash on hand.

Crazy how little owning the "extremely valuable" QNX has done to help BlackBerry's bottom-line.
    09-09-15 08:51 AM
    Crazy how little owning the "extremely valuable" QNX has done to help BlackBerry's bottom-line.
    Yeah I'm amazed that something that is constantly touted as being in 60 Million cars is generating virtually no revenue. QNX clearly wasn't in the business to make money. It is great technology that is horribly monetized by both QNX and now BlackBerry.

Posted via Z30
    southlander likes this.
    09-09-15 09:13 AM
    I'm not so sure that I would consider QNX "extremely valuable". QNX has been around for at least 30 years now. If QNX was so amazing and valuable than why didn't Apple buy it to use for their smartphone OS? Why didn't Google buy it for their smartphone OS? Sony, Nintendo and loads of other companies all have operating systems. Why didn't they buy the amazing QNX? All of those years and the "extremely valuable" QNX never got bought until BlackBerry came around and spent $200 million on it.

Do we really think that BlackBerry is smarter than Apple, Google and all of the other companies that completely ignored the amazing and extremely valuable QNX? Or is it possible that BlackBerry was the only company who was dumb enough to sink their money into it?

How much profit has BlackBerry made from their QNX-based products?

Here are some interesting facts - On the day that BlackBerry bought QNX, their stock was worth around $70 per share. They had a revenue of around 4.5 billion and added 4.9 million new BlackBerry users that same quarter. They made nearly a billion dollars just in profit for that quarter and had 2.87 billion dollars in cash on hand.

Apple didn't need to purchase QNX because they had already "purchased" a new OS with their acquisition of NeXT (they got Steve Jobs back and had a solution to the technical dead-end MacOS had become).

Both OSX (via NeXTSTEP & Mach) and QNX (via Neutrino & QUNIX) can trace their pedigrees back to the early/mid-80s. Ah, the longevity of UNIX and UNIX-like OSes. Anyway, there was no need for Apple to purchase QNX - they'd already made that transition 15 years earlier.

Google jumped on the Linux wave and didn't need to look back since they didn't need to worry about open-sourcing anything (ie graphic and proprietary drivers).

QNX is valuable, but in a much, much, much smaller market than smartphones.
    09-09-15 09:25 AM
    Yeah I'm amazed that something that is constantly touted as being in 60 Million cars is generating virtually no revenue. QNX clearly wasn't in the business to make money. It is great technology that is horribly monetized by both QNX and now BlackBerry.

Posted via Z30
    Food for thought - the licensing models for embedded markets is much different and lower cost than the smartphone market. It's not a market of 100% hardware markup (if you're lucky) and astronomical licensing costs.

It's an apples/oranges comparison.
    09-09-15 09:28 AM
    I agree with others, QNX is great technology but BlackBerry isn't a nonprofit. To claim that QNX is extremely valuable when it never seems to actually generate any money for BlackBerry is a little odd to me.

BlackBerry paid $200 million for QNX, where has it gotten them? Keep in mind, Google only paid $40 million for Android.
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    09-09-15 09:36 AM
    I agree with others, QNX is great technology but BlackBerry isn't a nonprofit. To claim that QNX is extremely valuable when it never seems to actually generate any money for BlackBerry is a little odd to me.

BlackBerry paid $200 million for QNX, where has it gotten them? Keep in mind, Google only paid $40 million for Android.
    It is no secret that BlackBerry as a business is failed one. Years back when they invented to send the emails in small compressed formats to those remote devices via wireless, when they are able to design superior devices, when they garner the support of carriers worldwide, they were a success model both tech wise and business wise.
    They kept their momentum till today on tech wise but business wise failed miserably. And no tech, however superior, will survive with out a proper execution plan.
    09-09-15 11:52 PM
    It is no secret that BlackBerry as a business is failed one. Years back when they invented to send the emails in small compressed formats to those remote devices via wireless, when they are able to design superior devices, when they garner the support of carriers worldwide, they were a success model both tech wise and business wise.
    They kept their momentum till today on tech wise but business wise [/b]failed miserably[/b]. And no tech, however superior, will survive with out a proper execution plan.
    Um, they haven't failed at all. They're in business and focusing primarily on enterprise. Hardware is not the only focus that BlackBerry is depending on solely for income.

Typed from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    lift likes this.
    09-10-15 12:04 AM
286 ... 101112