Phablets Are Just a Fad, Report Suggests

Samsung's Galaxy Note II phablet topped 5 million in sales after just two months on the market, but mobile analytics company Flurry thinks phablets are just a fad.
    According to a Monday report from Flurry, mid-sized smartphones - or those that range in screen size from 3.5 inches to 4.9 inches - dominate the mobile device space.
    In Feb. 2013, about 16 percent of mobile gadget owners were carrying a small phone, or one that had a 3.5-inch screen or smaller. About 69 percent had a mid-sized smartphone, 2 percent had a phablet (5 inches to 6.9 inches), 6 percent had a small tablet (7-8.4 inches), and 7 percent had a full-size tablet (8.5 inches and above).
    While the oversized phablets are still in the early stages, Flurry predicted that they won't last long enough to really compete with smartphones or tablets.
    "The 'is it a phone or is it a tablet' devices otherwise known as phablets have attracted interest, but currently command a relatively small share of the device installed base, and their share of active users and sessions is also relatively small," the report said.

Phablets are an Android game, though. At this point, the devices with 5- to 6.9-inch screens are Android-based; Apple's iPhone tops out at 4 inches, while the iPad mini lands at 7.9 inches.
    Developers need to stay focused on devices that are most accepted and used by consumers � i.e. not phablets. Flurry's study pointed out that consumers prefer and use apps on medium-sized smartphones, like the earlier Samsung Galaxy lineup, and full-sized tablets like the iPad.
    "Phablets appear to make up an insignificant part of the device installed base," Flurry said, "and do not show disproportionally high enough app usage to justify support."
    That could change in the coming months, as Samsung's 5-inch Galaxy S4 smartphone rolls out globally.
    Earlier this year, PCMag columnist Tim Bajarin reported from Mobile World Congress 2013 that most executives expected phablets to really take shape in emerging countries, where consumers can't afford to buy a smartphone and a tablet.

Phablets Are Just a Fad, Report Suggests | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

-Jeff
    04-03-13 01:50 PM
    thats just an annalist's opinion i think, id still buy the aristo when its out and i hope it will eventually come around xmas
    04-03-13 02:29 PM
    16% using a device 3.5" or smaller....

That's got to be crap - all those iPhone 3's and 4's, all pre bb10 users and millions of android handsets......

Don't think so

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    JR A likes this.
    04-03-13 03:07 PM
    They have to understand that there isn't a ton of choices of phablets here in the US or other parts of the world. I personally am seeing a lot of Galaxy Notes around where I live. Personally its too large for what I want out my phone right now but the people I know that have it say hey love the screen size.

I'm gonna get a Z10 soon but I want a larger screen size than that. Probably 4.7" would be ideal for me but if rumors are true and the Aristo is 5", I'd be willing to try it. I dont really wanna go bigger than that though since I have a PlayBook
    04-03-13 03:09 PM
    Everything is a fad. From the type of clothes, shoes, cars (hybrids, cross overs, electric), phones... even pet rocks were all the rage at one time. Manufacturers are going to make whatever will sell for as long as it sells.

Posted via CB10
    Masahiro likes this.
    04-03-13 03:16 PM
    I will personally rejoice when the odious pseudo-word 'phablet' is laid to rest.

Cheers,
    04-03-13 04:32 PM
    I don't have that this "Fab" thinking brought bbry any good in 2007 when this "Fab" touch screen phone came out...what was it again? iphone?

See were I'm going with that?

Posted via CB10
    rnhld likes this.
    04-03-13 04:48 PM
    I would buy one.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 L.E.
    04-03-13 10:20 PM
    What's wrong with choices? Phablet for those who want them. Better than several Bolds and Curves with redundancy and little differentiation. BBRY should do a 5.5" Aristo, the Z10 and a Q10 (like tomorrow) and skip the low end stuff.
    04-03-13 10:49 PM
    It's a personal preference. I guess for BB is whether people will even BUY a BB10 phablet. Those who have been using old BB's will definitely find it way too big...
    04-04-13 01:27 AM
    If it's bigger than say 4.7" I wouldn't get. And it would really have to be edge to edge display. Not boarders like on the z10. Other than that, DO NOT WANT
    04-04-13 03:59 AM
    Five million sales in two months' time is not consumer acceptance? Anyway, I speak from experience given that I switched from a 9810 to the Note 2. It's truly an awesome phone -- the apps, oh the apps! the customization! the S pen! the big screen! -- and I accustomed myself very quickly to the size. Anything else now seems like a cramped toy. And my PlayBook is now gathering dust. It's certainly an acceptable alternative to carrying around a phone and a tablet, at least a 7" tab. My next tab, if I get one -- and I'm not sure I will because of the Note 2 -- will be a 10".
    04-04-13 07:25 AM