I am hoping there is more to come with the 2 way sync over BIS. Here is what I have noticed so far with the functionality. I am looking to find out how others are experiencing the Gmail sync by the following categories:

I am on Tmobile in Atlanta. 9700 on .586.

Behavior from the phone to webmail:
    1. Read Items on phone- syncs immediately
    2. Deleted Items on phone- syncs immediately
    3. Applied/changed labels on phone- syncs immediately
    4. Sent items from phone- displayed in webmail's sent folder immediately

Behavior from webmail to phone:
    1. Read items on webmail- does not sync
    2. Delete items in webmail- does not delete
    3. Applied/changed labels in webmail- syncs after an hour or 2
    4. Sent items from webmail- does not sync

Please don't forget to add your geographic location and carrier.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 10:56 AM
    i have the same problems.. it's driving me nuts!

9630 (.643) / VZ / NY
    05-06-10 11:35 AM
    Yep, just about the same for me, Tour Sprint .642, Chicago.
    05-06-10 11:38 AM
    I'm on VZW and I'm Everywhere, USA. I can't get anything to sync. When I delete mail from my gmail inbox on the bb (not the Gmail app but BIS) it is still there in webmail.

I've deleted and re-added the account on my bb multiple times to no avail.

I do have 2 gmail accounts on my bb if that matters.

05-06-10 11:46 AM
    I'm on VZW and I'm Everywhere, USA. I can't get anything to sync. When I delete mail from my gmail inbox on the bb (not the Gmail app but BIS) it is still there in webmail.

I've deleted and re-added the account on my bb multiple times to no avail.

I do have 2 gmail accounts on my bb if that matters.

For deleting items in gmail from your phone:

Have you tried going to "Messages" > "Options" > "Email Reconciliation" and set "Delete On" to "Prompt" under both email accounts?

05-06-10 12:08 PM

Have you tried going to "Messages" > "Options" > "Email Reconciliation" and set "Delete On" to "Prompt" under both email accounts?

No, I've always set it for "Delete on Mailbox and Handheld", thinking that meant that it would delete in both places at once.

Am I a dummy, lol?

05-06-10 12:12 PM

It works! Thank you!

I don't get it though. When I set it to prompt, in the prompt I choose "On Mailbox and Handheld" and the delete syncs with webmail, but when I set it in options to always delete "On Mailbox and Handheld", it doesn't sync.

That seems kind of backwards to me, but hey, no complaints. I'm just glad it works now

05-06-10 12:18 PM
    I'm on Sprint in CT with a Tour. Changes made on the BB are reflected on the web very quickly. Changes made on the web either never are reflected on the BB or take a really long time (overnight).
    05-06-10 12:21 PM
    I don't get it though. When I set it to prompt, in the prompt I choose "On Mailbox and Handheld" and the delete syncs with webmail, but when I set it in options to always delete "On Mailbox and Handheld", it doesn't sync.

I think RIM is worried that sort of functionality would make TOO easy for us

05-06-10 12:27 PM
    I'm in the UK and the behavior from the phone to webmail is the same as the OP. I noticed a few weeks ago that emails I send from webmail now sync to the phone immediately. A few days ago I noticed that emails read on webmail now sync to the phone, sometimes quickly, other times it takes a long time, but it syncs the moment I receive another email.
    05-06-10 01:40 PM
    Following oneshortsleeve's format:

2. Deleted Items on phone- syncs immediately - is moved out of "All Mail" and into "Trash" folder in Gmail and is automatically expunged after 30 days.
    3. Applied/changed labels on phone - n/a (not using the enhanced plugin at the moment.

1. Read items on webmail- does not sync at all. Ever.
    2. Delete items in webmail- syncs eventually, sometimes takes an hour or so, and seems to depend on some other item being pushed to the phone.
    3. Applied/changed labels in webmail- n/a (not using the plugin at the moment)
    4. Sent items from webmail- shows up immediately as a sent item on the BlackBerry Inbox.

I recently changed phones and have not deleted and re-added the two gmail accounts I'm using - one is a Google-hosted corporate account. I will probably get around to doing that soon.

One thing to keep in mind is that "delete" in Gmail means something more than merely removing an item from the Inbox. With a standard Gmail account, hitting "Delete" on a vanilla desktop client such as Outlook or Thunderbird is the same as archiving the item using the Gmail web interface. An item that remains in "All Mail" will remain in the BlackBerry Inbox. An item really deleted from Gmail will eventually be removed from the BlackBerry in my experience.

AT&T, Oklahoma.
    05-06-10 03:08 PM
    2. Deleted Items on phone- syncs immediately
    3. Applied/changed labels on phone- syncs immediately

1. Read items on webmail- syncs anywhere from 15mins-hr
    2. Delete items in webmail- syncs from 15mins-hr
    3. Applied/changed labels in webmail- syncs from 15mins-hr
    4. Sent items from webmail- syncs immediately

Verizon, New Hampshire
    Last edited by HFD_Lieutenant; 05-06-10 at 04:05 PM.
    05-06-10 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD