Having been a BB fan for a very long time I became fed up hearing about how superb the iPhone is. I stupidly opted for one when I had an upgrade.

The purpose of this message is to tell people who are even remotely tempted "DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Having tried really hard to get along with it for two weeks I had to surrender and pull my 9700 back out of the drawer, apologise to it and re-register it with the Exchange server. Once again, all is well!

DO NOT be tempted to the dark side. It will only disappoint. If anyone is interested as to why I found it so disappointing I will gladly tell them.
    08-22-10 01:54 PM
    I have "thought" about the iPhone, but I have decided to upgrade from my Pearl 8110 to a Curve 8530 which should arrive real soon I hope.

What did you dislike so much about the iPhone....so many people rave about them saying how awesome they are.
    08-22-10 02:34 PM
    I 'went iPhone' almost out of curiosity for all of the things that people rave about. Here is a summary of why I was disappointed:

1. The Apps - most of them are rubbish and you end up downloading them and never using them
    2. The whole menu system of the phone is not anywhere near as slick as the BB's. Whoever thought of the way the BB works for the user was a very very bright cookie. With an iPhone you will find yourself thiniking 'that would have been a lot quicker on my BB'
    3. The email system is terrible. It has to upload every folder remotely so there is no device memory. Ie when you send an email and then go to the Sent items it has to re-download what you sent and this can take ages
    4. Battery life is terrible. I use my device a lot and my BB is normally at 40% by bedtime. The iPhone was dead by 6pm.
    5. Crashing- I had to reboot the device four times in two weeks. This means I needed to re-download all of my music etc. And, even worse, I had to then re-enter all my preferred user settings on the device. It was all just a lot of hassle.
    6. The device felt pathetically weak in comparison to the BB (I use a 9700).
    7. Reception - the iPhone lost calls in places my BB can hold strong reception. I would say the iPhone actually has the worst reception of any device I have ever used.
    8. The email system on the iPhone is clunky and unreliable. I hated having to reply to emails on it this annoyed me as the BB is a nice positive experience to use when typing.
    9. I don't care what anyone says but it is just not possible to type as fast and as accurately on the iPhone as it is on the QWERTY BB board. I had a 9000 before the 9700 and both are excellent. With the iPhone I found myself permanently deleting and re-typing.
    10. And last but not least..............I'm sorry but the BB is so much classier as far as deviced go. They really are.

I hope that helps. My iPhone is on eBay and the sooner I get it out of my house the better!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

08-22-10 03:21 PM
    Some of the things above, I completely agree with. There are some things that the iPhone does do better. The first and foremost is web browsing. Coming from a 9630 Tour, the internet on that is comparable to a Motorola RAZR in comparison. The iPhone is a web browsers best friend. I have found that while most of the apps are garbage, there are some good ones out there, including free ones. The typing is so so, but I agree, full QWERTY really is the way to go.

It really comes down to personal needs and wants. Good luck with your sale on your iPhone. I hope that my Tour sells fairly quickly.
    08-22-10 03:34 PM
    Granted, the web browser is superb. However, for me (an 80% business user of my device) a good browser isn't enough to make me change in light of all my negatives above.

I think the iPhone is a great all round personal companion (if you have a back up power source and lots of time to correct your typing!). However, if you want a slick and robust communicator, the BB is absolutely unbeatable.

Just my view....

08-22-10 03:56 PM
    I am yet another user who got coaxed into buying an Iphone due to all the commercials floating around the media...now its collecting dust in my drawer....probably gonna sell it on ebay for cheap.
    Last edited by howy81; 08-29-10 at 12:22 PM.
    08-22-10 04:23 PM
    Went there. Twice. Once with the 3G, then again with the 3GS. In the end, I'm back to my Bold 9000, having sold off both iPhones. With the coming of the Torch, I have no need to be tempted again. (This is coming from a longtime Mac user.) And as soon as HD quality video recording comes to a BB, fuggedaboudit.
    08-22-10 04:27 PM
    Yeah, when people say the iPhone has "advanced technology", I never knew the ability to make farting noises was "advanced".

08-22-10 04:31 PM
    Yeah, when people say the iPhone has "advanced technology", I never knew the ability to make farting noises was "advanced".

By your stellar logic, no one should call the BlackBerry "advanced technology"
    either, as there are at least a dozen apps for this platform that do the same.

...but I am sure you had a point
    08-22-10 04:45 PM
    I 'went iPhone' almost out of curiosity for all of the things that people rave about. Here is a summary of why I was disappointed:

1. The Apps - most of them are rubbish and you end up downloading them and never using them
    2. The whole menu system of the phone is not anywhere near as slick as the BB's. Whoever thought of the way the BB works for the user was a very very bright cookie. With an iPhone you will find yourself thiniking 'that would have been a lot quicker on my BB'
    3. The email system is terrible. It has to upload every folder remotely so there is no device memory. Ie when you send an email and then go to the Sent items it has to re-download what you sent and this can take ages
    4. Battery life is terrible. I use my device a lot and my BB is normally at 40% by bedtime. The iPhone was dead by 6pm.
    5. Crashing- I had to reboot the device four times in two weeks. This means I needed to re-download all of my music etc. And, even worse, I had to then re-enter all my preferred user settings on the device. It was all just a lot of hassle.
    6. The device felt pathetically weak in comparison to the BB (I use a 9700).
    7. Reception - the iPhone lost calls in places my BB can hold strong reception. I would say the iPhone actually has the worst reception of any device I have ever used.
    8. The email system on the iPhone is clunky and unreliable. I hated having to reply to emails on it this annoyed me as the BB is a nice positive experience to use when typing.
    9. I don't care what anyone says but it is just not possible to type as fast and as accurately on the iPhone as it is on the QWERTY BB board. I had a 9000 before the 9700 and both are excellent. With the iPhone I found myself permanently deleting and re-typing.
    10. And last but not least..............I'm sorry but the BB is so much classier as far as deviced go. They really are.

I hope that helps. My iPhone is on eBay and the sooner I get it out of my house the better!!

3 - You must have some terrible coverage that it takes so long to download.

5 - I simply just don't believe you.

10 - So says you.
    08-22-10 04:49 PM
    It's definitely not for everyone. It really depends on your needs, and of course, wants.
    08-22-10 05:30 PM
    Yea, I don't think I need the iphone ... I don't really need an app that will turn my phone into a metal detector.
    08-22-10 05:32 PM
    I boought a 3GS on launch date on June 19(?) '09. I returned it 29 days later. Battery life and all the concessions I had to make to last the day without the ability to change my own battery were not enough for what I gained with the AMAZING browsing experience.
    I then almost bought the iPhone 4. Was reeeeaaaaalllyyyon the fence. Jobs' arrogance and dismissive behaviour in the face of the antenna problems turned me off finally to the company and Jobs himself. The whole thing felt like some cult.
    Not for me.

08-22-10 06:07 PM
    Lucky you got out when you did Q! I had to spend some time in the Apple store for my Son's problematic iTouch and was amazed at how similar the people there seemed. Over a few visits I became convinced I was trapped in Stepford! I'm afraid to go back because I'm sure they're putting the finishing touches on my robot .

08-22-10 06:50 PM
    For those wondering...

Day 19 -- iPhone | DefectiveByDesign.org

::

They don't have an update for the iphone 4, but it explains why not to get it.

Last edited by Rootbrian; 08-22-10 at 08:43 PM.
    08-22-10 08:41 PM
    I've also had 2 Iphones, the 3G which lasted a month, then the 3GS which lasted 24 hours. I'm now back to my 9700, which I love being able to download anything to without restriction (or very little anyways) and the customization without hacking.
    The Iphone definitely isn't for everyone, but has some very nice features.
    All platforms have their flaws, including BB, I just happen to think the flaws the BB has impact me very little.
    Last edited by SmakBerry; 08-22-10 at 10:16 PM.
    08-22-10 09:52 PM
    This thread will be infected by iPhone fanboys in a couple of minutes. Let's the bashing begins.
    08-22-10 09:56 PM
    This thread will be infected by iPhone fanboys in a couple of minutes. Let's the bashing begins.
    I'm sure it will, but just before, one more for the BlackBerry crowd

I've got an iPod Touch and someone living in my house (it's all legit) has an iPhone 4. I never use my Touch anymore, not since I got the 9700. To me it's a very dull bit of kit.

The iPhone 4 has a sweet camera and the video camera is good - I envy both of those. The battery life too is very good, and credit where it's due, it looks and feels good.

The problem for me is still that bloody Fisher Price operating system. You just can't go anywhere with it. Silly icons and guesswork, not intuitive. With the BB, you get a list with words. I speak and read words, that's what I understand. Words over icons forever. I don't need hieroglyphics.

The actual phone on the BB is better, that's an important factor I'm sure...

I'll use my 9700 to handle some emails whilst I'm working at my PC. I cannot imagine ever bringing the iPhone into the loop on a working day whilst sat at my PC. Getting your emails instantly across all clients is vital, especially when you're pretending you're not where you shouldn't be.

In the field, away from the PC, the BB is peerless. Better antenna than the IP4, better battery than the powerful Android devices, better keyboard and communications full stop. What phone would you rather be stranded overnight in a strange place with?
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 08-22-10 at 10:44 PM.
    08-22-10 10:42 PM
    Naw, they've been pretty scarce since the bad news about the iphones has come out. It's really the Android fanboys searching for a fight on CB one usually sees nowadays.

08-22-10 10:44 PM

Hey Curve8520user.
    I think what our esteemed mod meant to say was "welcome to the forum. "
    08-22-10 11:02 PM
    For those wondering...

Day 19 -- iPhone | DefectiveByDesign.org

::

They don't have an update for the iphone 4, but it explains why not to get it.

That blog is a few years old already, and that makes it invalid.

Jailbreak + Cydia = free apps.
    08-22-10 11:12 PM
    Why not have the best of both worlds...a BB and an iTouch? That's my setup.
    08-22-10 11:17 PM
    Sorry you had a bad experience with the iPhone but since you are no be all source of knowledge For smartphones I would never take this recommendation seriously to each there own really. There is a section in the app store called productive applications which is very useful to millions of iPhone users on a daily bases.
    08-23-10 08:33 AM
    I agree. I used to think that it was nothing but fart apps and worthless junk apps. I took a good long look at the app store, and have found several very useful apps.

It was a little shocking coming from BB, where the apps range from 2.99 up to 99.99. It was weird seeing so many free and cheap apps.
    08-23-10 08:36 AM

really? i have never looked for that crap on my blackberry...but I was referring to the fact apps like that are popular among iPhone users...
    08-23-10 10:55 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD