View Poll Results: What OS/platform do you find more appealing?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andriod

48 38.10%
  • iOS

16 12.70%
  • WP7

0 0%
  • I'll stay with Blackberry and hope for the best

62 49.21%
    BBOS is simple and efficient for me. And everything I want is available on the BlackBerry only. Throw me support for BlackBerry Presenter and BlackBerry Stereo Gateway on the other platforms, if you want me to even consider leaving. Oh and btw, it has to really EXCEED the support I get currently.
    01-08-11 10:19 PM
    Get the right Android device and you on't give up the LED notification. My Droid 2 has it. The Droid X has it. Other devices have it but some don't.
    I agree. Manufacturers leaving off LED indicators pisses me off. It's a basic feature, that should not be removed.

Yes, that irritated me too, the lack of decent free turn by turn.
    Even Windows Mobile has Free Turn by Turn (Voice-Guided) Navigation with it's Bing app (Windows Mobile, not Windows Phone 7).

Another thing Android can do that BB cant:
    Use pdf documents you have stored on your media card for free. Sure you can do it if you buy the paid version of docs to go but not for free. I can use the Adobe or Quick Office pdf readers for free.
    An Advantage over Blackberries that Android devices have is that bigger screens are more useful for office applications than 2.4-2.6 non-touch screens. They just are, especially when it's a multi-touch screen with Pinch-to-Zoom etc.

I used to have an HTC Aria with the same screen size and Resolution as the Torch, and I used a Palm Pre for a while (practically same size/resolution as well). It's 4" or go home for me, personally.

Another thing is that if you don't like the way one manufacturer makes/skins their phones, you can always just go to another manufacturer to get another one, or just go with the Nexus Series and use stock Android.

Choice is a big factor. With RIM, you don't really get any due to Exclusives and them sticking to mainly one form-factor, which is becomming less and less "good" as time and technology moves on.

BBOS just seems cumbersome to me, as well. It doesn't really translate well to a touch screen, and it's suffering the same issues Windows Mobile faced. They need to update their OS as soon as possible.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-08-11 at 11:55 PM.
    01-08-11 11:49 PM
    BBOS just works for me and I actually enjoy the candy bar style, but I would like more real estate. I don't like portrait sliders as they are top heavy and didn't care much for the Torches keyboard.

I am ultimately waiting for a Storm with a slide out KB, which may never come to reality.

I am content for now though. Come upgrade time in February of 12' is when I will worry about what I am gonna do. I will weigh my options. I love my Berry, but gonna get what best fits my lifestyle.

I'd rather it be a BB though, will say that. Just dig the OS. Never cared much for my older Androids, but they have made leaps and bounds since then.

Should be an interesting year for BB. QNX and Tat can be huge if implemented into our phones. Something that just needs to happen to be competitive in the consumer market.

As always, "to each their own...."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-11 07:58 AM
    Number 1 reasons I stick with BB ...No F'..in touch screen BS. Real keyboard, compact size, best email/messaging on the planet.
    01-09-11 11:21 AM
    Number 1 reasons I stick with BB ...No F'..in touch screen BS. Real keyboard, compact size, best email/messaging on the planet.
    There's no "real" keyboard on my Storm, and it's a BB... just saying. AND, other brands also have "real" keyboards.
    01-09-11 11:29 AM
    The original Droid? Don't know what you were doing on it but I never needed a task killer. Even when I was stock. Also, task killers do more harm than good.
    we need to go educate every VZW employee of this...they are dumb when it comes to these things
    +1

When I bought my Droid 2 Global a few weeks ago, the sales babe at VZW actually recommended that I get a task killer from the Market! I'm just thankful that I hang out on CrackBerry and Android Central, so I was aware that it was a bad idea. I really feel sorry for the folks who take VZW sales people at their word because they assume that they know what they're talking about...

Riding the Storm Out
    01-09-11 11:35 AM
    Android:
    1) No Battery pull!
    2) No spinning clock of death
    3) No BIS outages
    4) More useful free apps
    5) Better browsing experience
    6) Faster boot times
    7) Customization, customization, customization
    8) No truncated e-mail
    01-09-11 11:41 AM
    we need to go educate every VZW employee of this...they are dumb when it comes to these things
    Yea. If I ever had to bring my phone in and a VZW rep put a task killer on my device I would punch him in the face (probably not but I would express my frustration).
    01-09-11 12:24 PM
    No one said WP7 and WebOS wasn't even an option. Good job my fellow CrackBerry users.
    01-09-11 02:08 PM
    This has turned out to be a very good thread and the people I have commented to and everyone else has many valid and good points ofview. To throw another wrench in the mix you all might want to read this that just came out on the sister CB forum for iphones which I hate to say I am leaning heavy to since i am with VZW. Read this article and see what you all think.

Verizon iPhone to go on sale late Jan/early Feb | TiPb
    01-09-11 03:22 PM
    here's what enticed me to get my G2:

• Large Screen
    • Great specs
    • Great Browser (w/ Flash)
    • No truncated emails
    • Apps
    • Slide out portrait QWERTY
    • widgets
    • Custom Kernels
    • AOSP roms
    • No battery pulling (especially not as much as my old 9700)
    • Phone booting up in SECONDS, not minutes
    • Free turn by turn navigation
    • Knowing that the phone I own today will not be so outdated some time from now to the point that I can't update officially (or unofficially - I LOVE YOU CYANOGEN & TEAMDOUCHE)

01-09-11 04:06 PM
    Android
    - LED notifications
    - I use a lot of Google services... nice integration
    - plethora of devices so I can find the hardware (internal/external) that I like
    - bigger/higher res screen
    - app selection
    - better camera
    - browser
    - custom home screens
    - widgets
    - slide-down notification bar
    - custom ROMs
    01-09-11 05:09 PM
    Everyone above has their reasons to staying or changing. All are valid for their personal preferences.

My smartphone usage is primarily business related. I went with an Android phone a year ago. I looked forward to having access to all of my contacts, calendars/appointments and email in the palm of my hand. It is doable, but no way near as easy as on BB. Try searching for a contact by first, last OR company name in the phone book. Try making an appointment direct from your contact list. Or setting up a follow-up task from an email message. These are easy with the BB. Somewhere down the road the same may be true with Android. But they weren't as of a month ago when I switched over to BB. I am amazed at the interaction available. Which is what I need.

Android has some benefits just as BlackBerry does. Just depends on your needs.
    01-09-11 05:27 PM
    Just depends on your needs.
    I agree 100% with that but what I don't understand is why BB users that are willing to put up with laggy devices and outdated hardware?

Yes battery life is superb on BB's but how much battery does a device with an underpowered processor and low resolution screen use up?

I was a harcore BB user and after going over to Android my outlook on BB totally changed.

I see BB's as smart phones trapped in a dumb phone body.
    01-09-11 05:43 PM
    Yes battery life is superb on BB's but how much battery does a device with an underpowered processor and low resolution screen use up?
    A surprisingly high amount, moderate-heavy use on my BlackBerry Curve 8520, lasts about 5 hours.

I was a harcore BB user and after going over to Android my outlook on BB totally changed.
    Can't say anything on this, won't change to Android because I'll lose some core functionality that I would need my laptop to get back (and I don't like carting an �800 laptop about!)

They have their quirks, just like Androids do. Although they're not as smart as Android or iPhone or WP7, or even Nokia.
    01-09-11 05:47 PM
    ... and I don't like carting an �800 laptop about!
    800 pound laptop? You sure that thing isn't carting you about??
    01-09-11 06:15 PM
    I agree 100% with that but what I don't understand is why BB users that are willing to put up with laggy devices and outdated hardware?

Other than the current processor being too slow, I think you've got that backwards to some extent--the OS (the "smartness") blows, while the hardware if pretty darn good--great screen and speaker, albeit smallish by the current crop of soon-to-be released phones. oh, and lest I forget, the camera is marginal, the earpiece speaker has a propensity to fail, the track ball was a POS....guess what--your absolutely right. LOL! Tis it any wonder so many of us are counting the days until we can upgrade to an Android, or (gasp) a Jesus phone?
    01-09-11 07:11 PM
    800 pound laptop? You sure that thing isn't carting you about??
    MacBook. I have to use one in order to be part of the industry standard (media student). Guess they'll be wanting me to get an iPhone and iPad next (and they can bugger off if they do, I'll just have the app ported to PB and/or BB)
    01-09-11 08:16 PM
    MacBook. I have to use one in order to be part of the industry standard (media student). Guess they'll be wanting me to get an iPhone and iPad next (and they can bugger off if they do, I'll just have the app ported to PB and/or BB)
    That was an American joke. I forgot you're in England. Pound is one of the units we measure weight in. Kind of a double entendre.
    01-09-11 08:24 PM
    That was an American joke. I forgot you're in England. Pound is one of the units we measure weight in. Kind of a double entendre.
    I studied A-Level mathematics, and still, I never clicked on to that until you told me. Don't I look the dumbass lol
    01-09-11 08:28 PM
    I can not wait till the Bionic comes out! I wish it would be at the end of march!
    01-09-11 08:52 PM
    The poll is bound to be skewed away from BB.
    The way the title of the thread is worded, it appeals to those thinking of switching. Most BB users that are happy with their phones will not even open the thread.
    01-09-11 08:53 PM
    The poll is bound to be skewed away from BB.
    The way the title of the thread is worded, it appeals to those thinking of switching. Most BB users that are happy with their phones will not even open the thread.
    Very good point. But even with that, it's about neck and neck for staying with BlackBerry or going to Android.
    01-09-11 09:44 PM
    Loved my Torch for all the important aspects of messaging/e-mail/voice calling/multitasking. But made the temporary switch to an iPhone4 just for streaming Netflix. Entertainment value. But oh how I miss BBM and texting til my thumbs hurt! *tear*
    01-10-11 06:36 AM
    I can't vote because I'm using the BlackBerry browser. It won't render correctly! Someone add my vote to Android.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 06:55 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD