View Poll Results: What OS/platform do you find more appealing?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andriod

48 38.10%
  • iOS

16 12.70%
  • WP7

0 0%
  • I'll stay with Blackberry and hope for the best

62 49.21%
    Whats is it that other platforms have to offer that make them more appealing than Blackberry?
    Last edited by JD914; 01-08-11 at 04:08 PM.
    01-08-11 03:32 PM
    I already made the switch but I'll play:

Android.

Advantages of Android over BB:
    Better screen realestate than the 8330 and 9630 I had before switching.
    Better touch screen than the Storms (clicky touch screen? Really?) Better UI than any of the BB devices.
    Unlimited customization of the device is more or less doable.
    No more battery pulls.
    No annoying random spinning clock and/or random freezing.
    No 10+ minute reboot times on the rare occasion I feel like shutting it down or switching from regular to extended battery and back.

Features on Android not found on BB:
    Free Google Maps turn by turn voice navigation.
    A large amount of internal memory and the ability to store/run apps from the SD card if you still run low on internal memory.
    Quick processors/relatively little lag.
    Adobe Flash 10.1.

I'm sure I've missed some things...
    deepaul87 likes this.
    01-08-11 03:53 PM
    Whats is it that platforms have to offer that make them more appealing than Blackberry?
    1. Faster/better browsing.

2. Larger screen (kinda ties into #1. LOL! )

3. More apps

What I will miss is the LED notification and BBM.
    01-08-11 03:58 PM

Android.

Better touch screen than the Storms (clicky touch screen? Really?) Better UI than any of the BB devices.
    No more battery pulls.
    No 10+ minute reboot times on the rare occasion I feel like shutting it down or switching from regular to extended battery and back.

A large amount of internal memory and the ability to store/run apps from the SD card if you still run low on internal memory.
    Adobe Flash 10.1.

that's a biggie. It pisses me off, that despite a large monthly bill from Verizon, they nickel and dime me for VZNav. I order it once or twice a year, for when I go on vacation. scumsuckers!
    K Bear likes this.
    01-08-11 04:00 PM
    thats when you need a gps in your car
    01-08-11 04:05 PM

Android.

No more battery pulls.

Adobe Flash 10.1.

Just saying, I've never had to pull the battery on my Torch (going on 3+ months), my Droids both required a task killer to remain usable (I tried going without and both became rendered useless they were so slow), and both my Torch and my Bold boot up quicker than my Androids (and even my iPod Touch).
    There's the right device out there for everyone, but apart from the faster processor, installing apps to an SD card and Flash support, all of your other points are objective and can just as easily be said about any platform by a user who had issues with it.
    01-08-11 04:16 PM
    nope. don't want anything in the windshield or attached to the dash. don't want to tempt anyone to smash the windows to get said GPS. don't want to keep hiding a GPS to prevent theft. no thanks--I'll stick to phone GPS.
    01-08-11 04:19 PM
    1. Faster/better browsing.

2. Larger screen (kinda ties into #1. LOL! )

3. More apps

Get the right Android device and you won't give up the LED notification. My Droid 2 has it. The Droid X has it. Other devices have it but some don't.

that's a biggie. It pisses me off, that despite a large monthly bill from Verizon, they nickel and dime me for VZNav. I order it once or twice a year, for when I go on vacation. scumsuckers!
    Yes, that irritated me too, the lack of decent free turn by turn.

You have to buy updated maps for cars periodically. The maps Google Navigation uses can be continually updated and you always get the latest revision, live traffic updates, sattelite view if you want it, street view if you want it iirc.

Another thing Android can do that BB cant:
    Use pdf documents you have stored on your media card for free. Sure you can do it if you buy the paid version of docs to go but not for free. I can use the Adobe or Quick Office pdf readers for free.
    deepaul87 likes this.
    01-08-11 04:20 PM
    If the Bionic is like the rest of Motos Droid line, you will have LED notifications.
    01-08-11 04:24 PM
    Get the right Android device and you won't give up the LED notification. My Droid 2 has it. The Droid X has it. Other devices have it but some don't.

Yes, that irritated me too, the lack of decent free turn by turn.

You have to buy updated maps for cars periodically. The maps Google Navigation uses can be continually updated and you always get the latest revision, live traffic updates, sattelite view if you want it, street view if you want it iirc.

Another thing Android can do that BB cant:
    Use pdf documents you have stored on your media card for free. Sure you can do it if you buy the paid version of docs to go but not for free. I can use the Adobe or Quick Office pdf readers for free.
    thx. I keep forgetting that some non-BB phones have the LED. At the moment, the Bionic has captured my interest, yet I know very little about it. I tried the Moto site, googled, but not much info. Does anyone have more info on the Bionic than what little has dribbled out of Moto and CES?
    01-08-11 04:24 PM
    Just saying, I've never had to pull the battery on my Torch (going on 3+ months), my Droids both required a task killer to remain usable (I tried going without and both became rendered useless they were so slow), and both my Torch and my Bold boot up quicker than my Androids (and even my iPod Touch).
    There's the right device out there for everyone, but apart from the faster processor, installing apps to an SD card and Flash support, all of your other points are objective and can just as easily be said about any platform by a user who had issues with it.
    I don't run a task killer on my Droid 2. Froyo 2.2 seems to have good app/memory management on its' own.

I stood in a store while they booted the Torch and it still took a fair bit longer than the 35 seconds my Droid 2 does.

It depends what Android you're using too. One of the current crop of high end devices should still work better than anything BB related speed wise.
    01-08-11 04:25 PM
    Just saying, I've never had to pull the battery on my Torch (going on 3+ months), my Droids both required a task killer to remain usable
    The original Droid? Don't know what you were doing on it but I never needed a task killer. Even when I was stock. Also, task killers do more harm than good.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-08-11 04:28 PM
    Because WP7 is a listed choice in the poll, I give you this tidbit of negative info on WP7: Windows Phone 7 using lots of 3G data while idle, even on WiFi? -- Engadget
    01-08-11 04:30 PM
    I don't run a task killer on my Droid 2. Froyo 2.2 seems to have good app/memory management on its' own.

I stood in a store while they booted the Torch and it still took a fair bit longer than the 35 seconds my Droid 2 does.

It depends what Android you're using too. One of the current crop of high end devices should still work better than anything BB related speed wise.
    I'm jealous. My S2 takes 10x as long to boot as your D2.
    01-08-11 04:31 PM

Android.

No more battery pulls.

Adobe Flash 10.1.

I have been staying in touch with Sandman for some time on this issue and to be honest i have to agree with him and he has me convinced.The Android he has is because he wanted to stay with a querty physical keyboard aand I would to although this would not hold me back.

I am up in March with VZW for an upgrade and am going to do something along with the VZW annoucement in New York Jan. 11th which I hope will be iphone related, then this will give me options.

Verizon has already announced 4g LTE Android phones from many different companies and a few with dual core or 1.2 processors.

He has me totally convinced where I am going to go, Stay with VZW and either wait out the iphone or maybe the next gen HTC incredible AKA Thunderbolt.

You will be shocked at another thread on here about this and how many will make switches with all the new choices out there and sorry to say RIM dragging their feet. I mean come on the Style Flip and dropping the Tour in 1 year just to rename it Bold with a trackpad and Wi Fi... WOW am I excited(NOT).

Anyway I got carried away but this is my opinion on the subject.
    01-08-11 04:33 PM
    The original Droid? Don't know what you were doing on it but I never needed a task killer. Even when I was stock. Also, task killers do more harm than good.
    we need to go educate every VZW employee of this...they are dumb when it comes to these things
    01-08-11 04:35 PM
    Anyway I got carried away but this is my opinion on the subject.
    IMO, you didn't get carried away, at all. good post.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    01-08-11 04:35 PM
    I do not think your points either are no valid and some points are very well made and the others as you said ARE objective. It is a matter of for me and my TOur I have never going on 2 years had any trouble with it but I simply want more real estate to move around and therefore make use of apps that I would use that I don't now and I hate the memory leaks that I have to reboot for every week because the garbage collector does not work and this is the best way to retrieve your lost and leaking memory.
    01-08-11 04:38 PM
    Thank you Dave for having my back...lol
    It is always appreciated but Sandman has been giving me quite an education on the Andriod front and I strongly reccomend to anyone on the fence and getting colse to their upgreade date like me to go to CBs sister site Android Central and read the info on different phones and hit the forums like I do and read them, even share in as I do and you will be surprized at what you can learn, just one thing I will stay... Ignore the talk about rooting people talk about as this is an advanced subject, renders your OS capabilities useless and it is not needed.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 01-08-11 at 05:59 PM.
    1812dave likes this.
    01-08-11 04:48 PM
    Thank you Dave for having my back...lol
    It is always appreciated but Sandman has been giving me quite an education on the Andriod front and I strongly reccomend to anyone on the fence and getting colse to their upgreade date like me to go to CBs sister site Android Central and read the info on different phones and hit the forums like I do and read them, even share in as I do and you will be surprized at what you can learn, just one thing I will stay... Ignore the talk about rooting people talk about as this is an advanced subject, renders you OS capabilities useless and it is not needed.
    YW! and good idea on going to AC--I want to find out more about the Bionic, and so far, I've come up nearly empty by Googling it/checking the Moto site.
    01-08-11 04:53 PM
    dave check out the post I left you on this thread and if you want you can copy and paste it here in this thread for others to read ionterested in the Motorola Bionic.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post5935126
    1812dave likes this.
    01-08-11 05:08 PM
    Seems to me that most of the reasons (not all) given here are hardware related. I assumed the question had to do with the OS. I for one am happy with my current BlackBerry OS but would like a hardware update.
    The only reason I haven't left my BB yet is because I despise Google and dislike the Apple 'cult'. Yes, my options for a good mobile device are very limited. I am seriously considering going to AT&T for a Torch, but only if I can get a one year contract AND a discounted phone. So far they have declined to offer me this.
    I'm a Motorola fan from way back, I might end up with android for a while but I won't be enthusiastic about it.
    C'mon RIM, I like your platform, give me some hardware to look forward to!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-11 05:21 PM
    and both my Torch and my Bold boot up quicker than my Androids (and even my iPod Touch).
    That's not even close to the truth.
    BerryBlack15 likes this.
    01-08-11 05:44 PM
    I'm sticking to what I use, that's my blackberry. Nothing more, nothing less. As long as it works, I'm happy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-11 08:52 PM
    I personally like BBOS.
    But I hate BB-Bash fests.
    01-08-11 09:40 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD