So I got a new job (yea!) that is going to issue me a company bb that I assume is going to be on BES. I have a Pearl for personal use that is on VZW BIS and I pay the data plan.

Questions / opinions -

-- Should I add my personal e-mail addys to the company bb and just use that one? Not sure what that means as far as privacy is concerned.

-- Should I merge BBM contacts?

-- Should I keep them completely separate, personal stuff on the Pearl and work stuff on the new one?

What do you folks do? What do you recommend? For reference, I don't know what carrier the new company uses, and I'm not sure I want to pay for data plan on personal bb if new company is paying for the other...
    09-23-09 10:21 AM
    I don't have two bbs, but I would say keep them separate!!!
    09-23-09 10:23 AM
    S.E.P.A.R.A.T.E.

You have a new business phone? Great. Now, start separating your complete life into Personal and Business categories. You'll be surprised to hear what everything a BES admin can see.
    09-23-09 10:29 AM
    Yeah I would keep them seperate! The things you do on your personal BB I am guessing you wouldn't want your boss to see...even if you aren't doing anything considered risky!

09-23-09 10:33 AM
    I don't have two bbs, but I would say keep them separate!!!
    I'm with her keep them seperate. big brother sees enough
    09-23-09 10:38 AM
    S.E.P.A.R.A.T.E.

You have a new business phone? Great. Now, start separating your complete life into Personal and Business categories. You'll be surprised to hear what everything a BES admin can see.
    Seperate of course, First the might have an IT Policy that blocks personal email service books, they could also block personal BBM contacts. Finally BES admin can see everything BBM, TXT, Call Logs, you name it they can see it. Play it safe.
    09-23-09 10:59 AM
    ok, I hear the consensus is keep em separate!!!

Now what about carrying two blackberries in general? Wouldn't that be a pain?
    09-23-09 11:08 AM
    Why carry your work one when not at work.
    09-23-09 11:09 AM
    I have a personal and work BB and would not combine them, even if it is a pain carrying two around.

Lots of reasons, all those mentioned above are valid, but also, I have had my personal mobile number forever, I would not "give" it to work as there is no obligation for them to ever give it back if I leave.
    09-23-09 11:12 AM
    Why carry your work one when not at work.
    +1

Unless you are working all the time or are on call...why bring your work phone along if there is no need for it?
    09-23-09 11:27 AM
    +1

Unless you are working all the time or are on call...why bring your work phone along if there is no need for it?
    Depends on how you get paid also!! If you are on a hourly rate that would qualify you as working overtime!!!
    09-23-09 11:28 AM
    We get two here if we want them I would keep work separated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-09 11:43 AM
    All good points. Thanks everyone!
    09-23-09 01:11 PM
    I use 2 bb's... one work and one personal.. i keep personal on the bold and keep business only on the 8900... Privacy is key...
    09-23-09 02:51 PM
    My work offered me an 8900 but I just said no thank-you.

I already had my Bold, and I already picked up my work email on there so I couldn't see the need for carrying 2 phones.

My setup is different though. The work 8900 would just have been on BIS so there would have been no advantage to having it but in using my own phone there is no draw back as it's not been connected to anything I didn't personally setup with Orange so no BES snooping or restrictions.

If I'd had to go down the BES route it would have been separate phones for sure.

09-24-09 05:55 AM
    I have two bb, and would recommend keeping them separate as well.

If u look for a job, or conduct personal dialog with others - all gets exposed like others stated.

Keep in mind its a job, they don't own u. Run your life on a bb, not the companies bb.

09-24-09 06:04 AM
    They can see texts? Doesn't that route through verizon? What about gmail?

I have a personal blackberry that is on my companys email account that they pay 10 bucks or so a month for me. Our email is on microsoft exchange server so I know they can see my company mail but does that give anyone access to my gmail or texts? I don't see how it would but now y guys scare me!

09-24-09 06:33 AM
    So I got a new job (yea!) that is going to issue me a company bb that I assume is going to be on BES. I have a Pearl for personal use that is on VZW BIS and I pay the data plan.

Questions / opinions -

-- Should I add my personal e-mail addys to the company bb and just use that one? Not sure what that means as far as privacy is concerned.

-- Should I merge BBM contacts?

-- Should I keep them completely separate, personal stuff on the Pearl and work stuff on the new one?

What do you folks do? What do you recommend? For reference, I don't know what carrier the new company uses, and I'm not sure I want to pay for data plan on personal bb if new company is paying for the other...
    I have two and I definitely separate the two. Aside from the fact that most companies don't like you using the work one for personal use, it's just far easier. I don't ALWAYS have my work one with me any way. Between the two of them, there is a lot of data and I just find it far less confusing to keep them separate. Besides, if you combind them, there isn't much point in having a personal one, is there? Oh yah, in my case, my work one has mandatory password protection (every 20 min of idle time) and I would get seriously annoyed if it were my personal one. It's bad enough having to deal with that for work. Also, my work one doesn't have all the capabilities of my personal one and I would also not presume to download personal software onto it. My work BB is a tool while my personal BB is my life line.
    09-24-09 07:56 AM
    ok, I hear the consensus is keep em separate!!!

Now what about carrying two blackberries in general? Wouldn't that be a pain?
    I pretty much have to carry both all the time so I put the work one in my purse (during off time) and carry my personal one in my pocket. While at work, the personal one goes in the pocket while the work one goes on the waist. Not that bad really. It works.
    09-24-09 08:00 AM
    I have two bberries - the one from work is an 8800 from Sprint and my personal is a Bold. I sometimes email stuff from my work to my personal because I can view attachments so much better on my bold, but I don't do it the other way, from personal to work.
    For me, I know that they can retrieve all my messages that I sent out and all my calls on my work phone, so I keep the two very separate. I carry them both all the time, and it's actually not that bad. It's comforting to know that if I forgot to charge my spare battery for my Bold I can have the work bberry *in an emergency.*
    09-24-09 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD