What is the general feeling about number of models? I hold that RIM should have two or three -- maybe four -- base models. Curve/Bold variant, all touchscreen, Torch-type device and maybe a Pearl (I hear there are quite a few people who love the form factor).

Thoughts?
    I'd probably go with 3. Slab, Qwerty touch, and maybe a lower end model. Personally..I think sliders are just a QC nightmare (especially portrait sliders), and while some enjoy them, I really doubt they're a big seller.
    01-28-12 02:53 PM
    I'd probably go with 3. Slab, Qwerty touch, and maybe a lower end model. Personally..I think sliders are just a QC nightmare (especially portrait sliders), and while some enjoy them, I really doubt they're a big seller.
    I abhor sliders with a passion... but I believe it does open the doors to all touch to those folks who would never try without them. I wonder how the Torch is doing...
    01-28-12 02:55 PM

Can I use this as my siggie some day? For the sake of discussion, what else (that is not on BBs currently) would you deem a fad?

I would also like to see more BB accessories. The market isn't exactly lacking now, but I would like to see more OEM pieces.

Seriously... if I were RIM, I would recruit evangelists from this very forum.
    Work away

3D is also a fad, as well as 3D cameras or 3D video recording. By the way I only think ffc is a fad on phones, not in general. I have never seen anybody using it on a mobile phone.

I agree about accessories, I need a car dock that uses the charging points as well as perhaps a fuel case for my 9900.
    01-28-12 03:13 PM
    Widgets? Really? Which ones excluding weather ones?

And how exactly do you go about hooking up your BB phone to the TV without needing 3rd party equipment (excluding a cable of course)

EDIT: NVM..found it. the Blackberry Presenter!! Only an additional $200 on top of your already $600 phone and you to can do what comes standard in most phones today!

I'd also point out that there is very limited "customising" of "screens(? plural..really?) since OS7 has broken the Theme engine..
    Widgets apps:

Check out Fancy Widgets! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/23368

BreakingNews widget:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/41242
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-28-12 at 03:22 PM.
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-28-12 03:18 PM
    I abhor sliders with a passion... but I believe it does open the doors to all touch to those folks who would never try without them. I wonder how the Torch is doing...
    To each his own, I love my 9810 and I would not trade it for any other BB. There is a large market for keyboard phones and sliders give you the best of both worlds, a large touch screen and a hardware keyboard.

To me it the ultimate win/win. Yes we don't get the great keyboard of the 9000/9900, but we also aren't stuck on a 2.8 inch portrait only screen trying to web browse.

To me the best BB10 they could make is a portrait slider as with a 4.3 screen, which gives you room for a 9900-like keyboard.

And I'm not alone just take a trip over to the 9810 forums here. There are many of us BB users that would never go to a all touch phone as we don't want to be frustrated by having to type on a touch keyboard. And please don't tell me that I "would get used to it", I don't want to get used to something, I want technology to meet my demands not me changing to meet the demands of someone else's idea of technology.

This is why I will never buy an iphone, or a MAC, I won't want to do things Steve's way, in a closed system. I want my information technology to be do things my way, that is why I bought a BB in the first place, because I can make it what ever I need. And I have no plans to change just because iphones or android phones might have more apps, I have all the apps I've ever needed on my BB, and games don't interest me at all.

CS
    01-28-12 03:50 PM
    I believe that RIM has spread Blackberry to thin. I think they should concentrate on the top 3 best selling Berries and make them the best. (How many versions of the curve and bold do we have on the market right now?)
    01-28-12 03:58 PM
    Nice try, Tank, but as you can see, I don't think we're ever going to get any kind of consensus on what constitutes the perfect BB. I thought it was a good idea, but I could see it going to crap before the end of the first page.

Folks, a BlackBerry is not an Android or an iPhone, it never will be nor should it be. You cannot pack every tech feature known to man in a communications device you can carry around in your pocket. Even if it could physically be done, it just isn't practical. It's still a phone for chrissakes, and there are some things that simply cannot reasonably be done on a device that small.

BB10 will need to have something to differentiate itself, and that by definition cannot be stuffing everything that every other phone does into a single device. BB already brings with it its own benefits that others do not have; these are the things that that the new devices need to capitalize on, and then throw in a few other features that most people want that they can't find in current BB offerings.
    01-28-12 04:27 PM
    y, the debate in this thread is getting to be the same things said over and over.
    No your trying to make out like the BlackBerry can't do something cause you don't know about it. We're just trying to tell ya you can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-12 04:51 PM
    To each his own, I love my 9810 and I would not trade it for any other BB. There is a large market for keyboard phones and sliders give you the best of both worlds, a large touch screen and a hardware keyboard.

To me it the ultimate win/win. Yes we don't get the great keyboard of the 9000/9900, but we also aren't stuck on a 2.8 inch portrait only screen trying to web browse.

To me the best BB10 they could make is a portrait slider as with a 4.3 screen, which gives you room for a 9900-like keyboard.

And I'm not alone just take a trip over to the 9810 forums here. There are many of us BB users that would never go to a all touch phone as we don't want to be frustrated by having to type on a touch keyboard. And please don't tell me that I "would get used to it", I don't want to get used to something, I want technology to meet my demands not me changing to meet the demands of someone else's idea of technology.

This is why I will never buy an iphone, or a MAC, I won't want to do things Steve's way, in a closed system. I want my information technology to be do things my way, that is why I bought a BB in the first place, because I can make it what ever I need. And I have no plans to change just because iphones or android phones might have more apps, I have all the apps I've ever needed on my BB, and games don't interest me at all.

CS
    I don't think touchscreens are for everyone. My dislike of sliders is completely personal; my limited experience is that they added bulk and increased the moving parts. For instance, I think the Torch is a slick device, but since I have adjusted to touchscreens, I wouldn't want the extra movement. That's just me.

That's why choice is good. Different strokes...

But, I think RIM can win providing those different form factors on BB10. As long as they can fit compelling all-in-one devices into likable form factors, they can be successful
    sleepngbear likes this.
    01-28-12 05:28 PM
    since were posting suggestions. heres what i think should be the next BBM should be since there are so much other apps that is basically replacing bbm on other platforms.

BBM v7.0:
    -it should have a whole new UI, something mature and elegant but very user friendly kinda like bbm music
    -should have 4 tabs at the top, similar to bbm music, one for updates, one for chat, the other for picture sharing, and the other for your profile
    -the updates tab would be all the status updates from your friends list as well as picture updates that your bbm friends posted to share with. it would also include changes in profile pictures, profile information changes and etc.
    -the chat tab would be what we see right now on bbm minus the updates, where we would be able to start a chat, make group chats, video chats (on bb10)
    -the picture tab should be where you want to share photos with your friends by posting a picture and etc. similar to the app Touch (formerly pingchat). view all the photos you've posted.
    -maybe even some editing to it similar to PhotoStudio Pro. in the pictures tab people can create their pictures and upload them to share with whoever is on their list. on the updates tab, you can view those pictures and like or comment on them just like instagram or twitter.
    -the profile tab would be where you would change your name, display picture, your location, what your listening too, email, phone number any personal stuff you would want to display, ofcourse you can also deny showing any personal informaton.

BBM is literally starting to just look like any other third party apps such as Whatsap, Touch, connect, and etc. BBM will definitely be an app that people would want! My view of BBM v7.0 is like an integration of twitter, facebook all in one and it would be be a huge differentiator from other apps.

THORSTEN!! PLZ DO THIS!!!!!!
    01-28-12 05:43 PM
    And how exactly do you go about hooking up your BB phone to the TV without needing 3rd party equipment (excluding a cable of course)

EDIT: NVM..found it. the Blackberry Presenter!! Only an additional $200 on top of your already $600 phone and you to can do what comes standard in most phones today!

I'd also point out that there is very limited "customising" of "screens(? plural..really?) since OS7 has broken the Theme engine..
    I don't know about the presenter. But you just hook your usb cable to your tv. Set your tv to usb then you access to your media. Just that easy. If your tv don't support usb you'll need a media device that does. Ps3, media center, or dvd/blueray player.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-12 05:48 PM
    since were posting suggestions. heres what i think should be the next BBM should be since there are so much other apps that is basically replacing bbm on other platforms.

BBM v7.0:
    -it should have a whole new UI, something mature and elegant but very user friendly kinda like bbm music
    -should have 4 tabs at the top, similar to bbm music, one for updates, one for chat, the other for picture sharing, and the other for your profile
    -the updates tab would be all the status updates from your friends list as well as picture updates that your bbm friends posted to share with. it would also include changes in profile pictures, profile information changes and etc.
    -the chat tab would be what we see right now on bbm minus the updates, where we would be able to start a chat, make group chats, video chats (on bb10)
    -the picture tab should be where you want to share photos with your friends by posting a picture and etc. similar to the app Touch (formerly pingchat). view all the photos you've posted.
    -maybe even some editing to it similar to PhotoStudio Pro. in the pictures tab people can create their pictures and upload them to share with whoever is on their list. on the updates tab, you can view those pictures and like or comment on them just like instagram or twitter.
    -the profile tab would be where you would change your name, display picture, your location, what your listening too, email, phone number any personal stuff you would want to display, ofcourse you can also deny showing any personal informaton.

BBM is literally starting to just look like any other third party apps such as Whatsap, Touch, connect, and etc. BBM will definitely be an app that people would want! My view of BBM v7.0 is like an integration of twitter, facebook all in one and it would be be a huge differentiator from other apps.

THORSTEN!! PLZ DO THIS!!!!!!
    I think that sounds cool, and imagine incorporating the search4bbm app in there, so you could search by name for people to see if they are on bbm, sorta like facebook.. I think that app also went unnoticed...
    01-28-12 06:17 PM
    Whoever is serious about requesting new features should join the Blackberry Beta Zone and post in the section called 'Feature Requests'. No need for p***ing matches.

https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/apply
    01-28-12 08:10 PM
    I have a lot of faith in this ceo, I think we will be happy with these BB10 phones, regardless.....
    01-28-12 08:59 PM
    I personally love my torch. Its everything ive been waiting for since 850/950 and is best of both worlds in physical keyboards and touchscreen. Im still showing people what blackberries can do in 2012 and they should know what blackberries can do via commercials. The problem is that most people in general are stupid and are attracted to nonsense in their phones. The people buying iphones and androids are completely happy with typing 7 times to do what BB does in 2 or 3 clicks. They are happy with downloading bogus apps and spamming all their friends emails because of the lack of security in their phone.

Trying to win these people back to BB is not going to be with common sense. It has to be something else. I personally love mac computers but will always be a pc guy because of the ability to control my machine and hack files etc. Its all about control and tweeking and feeling like im doing something im not meant to do.

People want control of their themes not a million themes to choose from.
    I always try new android phones and always come back to blackberry because it just works and gets the job done. Its simple restoring and deleting of the OS. I dont like the idea of 50 apps of password keeper, but i like the idea of 50 options in my 1 password keeper app. Unfortunately people have different opinions and different wants. So ill sum it up like this.

If you want people to buy BB>>> i say....

***MAKE YOUR BB HAVE THE GREATEST GUTS IE CPU CAMERA BATTERY.
    ***MAKE BB DO THINGS PEOPLE DIDNT KNOW THEY NEEDED UNTIL THEY NEEDED IT.
    ***MAKE COMMERCIALS SHOWING THE WAY LIFE IS BETTER WITH A BLACKBERRY.
    ***MAKE CHANGING PARTS (SCREENS,SPEAKER,KEYS,USB PORT) SIMPLE AND FUN SO PEOPLE CAN REPAIR AND CUSTOMIZE AND FEEL LIKE THEY CONTROL THEIR PHONES.
    PEOPLE CUSTOMIZE EVERYTHING IN THEIR LIFE WHY NOT THEIR PHONES. I WOULD LIKE TO MOVE MY USB PORT TO THE RIGHT SIDE OR THE BOTTOM.
    ***LET THE POPULATION HAVE POLLS AND VOTE ON THINGS RELATED TO BB.
    ***LET PEOPLE DECIDE THE NEXT DESIGN,HAVE CONTESTS, OPEN UP TO THE PEOPLE.
    01-29-12 06:08 AM
    I think them coming out with a pretty amazing camera would win a lot of people back, sad but true...
    01-29-12 08:38 AM
    I personally love my torch. Its everything ive been waiting for since 850/950 and is best of both worlds in physical keyboards and touchscreen. Im still showing people what blackberries can do in 2012 and they should know what blackberries can do via commercials. The problem is that most people in general are stupid and are attracted to nonsense in their phones. The people buying iphones and androids are completely happy with typing 7 times to do what BB does in 2 or 3 clicks. They are happy with downloading bogus apps and spamming all their friends emails because of the lack of security in their phone.

Trying to win these people back to BB is not going to be with common sense. It has to be something else. I personally love mac computers but will always be a pc guy because of the ability to control my machine and hack files etc. Its all about control and tweeking and feeling like im doing something im not meant to do.

People want control of their themes not a million themes to choose from.
    I always try new android phones and always come back to blackberry because it just works and gets the job done. Its simple restoring and deleting of the OS. I dont like the idea of 50 apps of password keeper, but i like the idea of 50 options in my 1 password keeper app. Unfortunately people have different opinions and different wants. So ill sum it up like this.

If you want people to buy BB>>> i say....

***MAKE YOUR BB HAVE THE GREATEST GUTS IE CPU CAMERA BATTERY.
    ***MAKE BB DO THINGS PEOPLE DIDNT KNOW THEY NEEDED UNTIL THEY NEEDED IT.
    ***MAKE COMMERCIALS SHOWING THE WAY LIFE IS BETTER WITH A BLACKBERRY.
    ***MAKE CHANGING PARTS (SCREENS,SPEAKER,KEYS,USB PORT) SIMPLE AND FUN SO PEOPLE CAN REPAIR AND CUSTOMIZE AND FEEL LIKE THEY CONTROL THEIR PHONES.
    PEOPLE CUSTOMIZE EVERYTHING IN THEIR LIFE WHY NOT THEIR PHONES. I WOULD LIKE TO MOVE MY USB PORT TO THE RIGHT SIDE OR THE BOTTOM.
    ***LET THE POPULATION HAVE POLLS AND VOTE ON THINGS RELATED TO BB.
    ***LET PEOPLE DECIDE THE NEXT DESIGN,HAVE CONTESTS, OPEN UP TO THE PEOPLE.
    So let me get this straight, you're saying a majority of the general public is stupid because they want access to decent browsers and high quality apps? Get off your high horse, RIMM fell asleep and they failed to innovate. It's not rocket science...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-29-12 08:54 AM
    I don't think touchscreens are for everyone. My dislike of sliders is completely personal; my limited experience is that they added bulk and increased the moving parts. For instance, I think the Torch is a slick device, but since I have adjusted to touchscreens, I wouldn't want the extra movement. That's just me.

That's why choice is good. Different strokes...

But, I think RIM can win providing those different form factors on BB10. As long as they can fit compelling all-in-one devices into likable form factors, they can be successful
    ^^^

I know there are a lot of folks like you who prefer touchscreens, but there are also a lot like me who just don't despite giving it the good ol' college try. So recommendation #1: whatever else you do, keep BB10 on a few different form factors.
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-29-12 09:04 AM
    Im still showing people what blackberries can do in 2012 and they should know what blackberries can do via commercials.
    This would be the first good idea. Excellent marketing. Give BB the "oh cool, I wanna check that phone out" factor.

The problem is that most people in general are stupid and are attracted to nonsense in their phones.
    You mean nonsense to you?

The people buying iphones and androids are completely happy with typing 7 times to do what BB does in 2 or 3 clicks.
    Maybe on iphone. But on Android, you set exactly how many clicks you want it to take to get to X function. It takes me 1-3 clicks to get to anything on my phone.

They are happy with downloading bogus apps and spamming all their friends emails because of the lack of security in their phone.
    How many experiences do you have with knowing someone that got a virus on their Android phone and started spamming their friends? Not that you've heard about someone...but that you know personally?

Trying to win these people back to BB is not going to be with common sense. It has to be something else.
    It's with offering the basic functions that their current phone has and putting in a bit of wow factor with it.

I stand corrected on the BB not connecting to the TV if the TV has a USB port. I googled, couldn't find anything, and then was shown that it is possible. This is the stuff that needs to be highlighted on commercials. While there are a number of people that can careless if they can hook their phone up to their TV and have the fullblown phone experience on their TV (ala external monitor), there are enough people that do.

I dont like the idea of 50 apps of password keeper, but i like the idea of 50 options in my 1 password keeper app. Unfortunately people have different opinions and different wants. So ill sum it up like this.
    I have no idea what this even means. I don't have a password keeper on my phone at all. I know very few people that have password keepers for anything on their phone.
    01-29-12 09:25 AM
    I have no idea what this even means. I don't have a password keeper on my phone at all. I know very few people that have password keepers for anything on their phone.
    Well, I don't know anybody who wants to play videos directly from their phone to their TV, yet you seem to think this and other such esoteric 'needs' are necessary for a phone to be competitive. Maybe they are, I'm not saying they aren't ... but everybody's priorities are different. Considering the security-consciousness of RIM and the fact that password keeper comes built into BBOS, apparently somebody thinks that's a pretty important feature.
    01-29-12 09:48 AM
    Well, I don't know anybody who wants to play videos directly from their phone to their TV, yet you seem to think this and other such esoteric 'needs' are necessary for a phone to be competitive. Maybe they are, I'm not saying they aren't ... but everybody's priorities are different. Considering the security-consciousness of RIM and the fact that password keeper comes built into BBOS, apparently somebody thinks that's a pretty important feature.
    And it has back up in blackberry protect.
    01-29-12 09:52 AM
    I know plenty that do. This isn't esoteric at all. And apparently BB can already do this using the USB. So I'm not sure what to say to those of y'all that think this is a stupid function, that you wouldn't buy a phone that has this capability, and that it's unneccessary, and that it's a security risk. And if enough people didn't think they'd want something like this, why would RIM make a BB presenter?

Not saying you're saying this but there's plenty that have

Look. All I'm saying and have been saying is there are a lot of us that left BB to go to another platform. Why? Because these other phones offered something that the BB wasn't at the time. Why not find out what these are and add these things in? Stuff like FFCs, nontruncated email (add the option to truncate or not truncate...whatever), simple stuff like that.

I just think that if RIM were to add in a few things that's common with other platforms, it could bring in some business. What is so wrong with wanting to bring in more dollars without compromising the functionality and the BB that you guys love?

And if guys and gals are so opposed to changes, then why would y'all be excited for BB 10?

Do you think most people use their password keeper? I remember not that long ago when everyone had a BB. Okay, not everyone. But I was surrounded by hundreds of people that had BBs. I don't know anyone that used the password keeper.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe BB shouldn't change at all. No aesthetic changes. No software changes. No hardware changes. Maybe the 75 million BB users is good enough for RIM.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 01-29-12 at 10:17 AM.
    01-29-12 10:12 AM
    No kilt. All you are saying is that you want your next BB to be an Android. That's it.

There are plenty of devices out there that have a FFC(iphone, Android), and really? Truncated e-mails? Was your last phone an 8310? Cause I am sure that RIM is making those changes you wanted right now. Oh not for BB10, but you know.....so something later down the line. Cause I know if I had an LG Thrill I would be looking for another device as well.
    01-29-12 10:28 AM
    I just think that if RIM were to add in a few things that's common with other platforms, it could bring in some business. What is so wrong with wanting to bring in more dollars without compromising the functionality and the BB that you guys love?
    No argument here on this.

The simple fact is, no single phone (or any other device, for that matter) is going to appeal to everybody. It's up to some marketing geniuses to determine what features and functions most people are looking for that are not currently available and are driving users to other platforms. I'm probably the last person they'd want to quiz on that subject, because I'm pretty satisfied with everything BB brings to the table. But I do also understand that there are plenty of users who want more.

One thing I would like to see is bluetooth connectivity between my phone and my Mac or PC similar to the bridge on the PlayBook, so that when I'm working on my desktop I can still keep in touch with my BBM contacts (and groups!) by just flipping to another window. That kind of thing would be more useful to me than bringing all of my computer's functionality onto my phone. The reality is that I do most of my leisurely communications at home anyway, and given the option, I'd prefer to do much of that on a good ol' traditional keyboard and widescreen display. Isn't that basically what Moto was shooting for with the Atrix and it's laptop-sized docking station? Give me that kind of BT connectivity, docking station for a phone or a hard-wired keyboard dock for the PlayBook, and you might see me jumping up and down.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 01-29-12 at 10:34 AM.
    01-29-12 10:31 AM
    No argument here on this.

The simple fact is, no single phone (or any other device, for that matter) is going to appeal to everybody. It's up to some marketing geniuses to determine what features and functions most people are looking for that are not currently available and are driving users to other platforms. I'm probably the last person they'd want to quiz on that subject, because I'm pretty satisfied with everything BB brings to the table. But I do also understand that there are plenty of users who want more.

One thing I would like to see is bluetooth connectivity between my phone and my Mac or PC similar to the bridge on the PlayBook, so that when I'm working on my desktop I can still keep in touch with my BBM contacts (and groups!) by just flipping to another window. That kind of thing would be more useful to me than bringing all of my computer's functionality onto my phone. The reality is that I do most of my leisurely communications at home anyway, and given the option, I'd prefer to do much of that on a good ol' traditional keyboard and widescreen display. Isn't that basically what Moto was shooting for with the Atrix and it's laptop-sized docking station? Give me that kind of BT connectivity, docking station for a phone or a hard-wired keyboard dock for the PlayBook, and you might see me jumping up and down.
    Again, that exists already, you can work your BB from a PC at least, there's at least 2-3 that I've tried, I can't remember the names, I'll post back.

Edit- Impatica Connector is one

Edit2- SOTI Pocket Controler is another
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-29-12 at 10:44 AM.
    01-29-12 10:36 AM
118 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD