I also agree, the BB can do a lot of things, that people aren't aware of...
    01-28-12 11:14 AM
    I don't use BBM. A lot of people don't use BBM. According to Belfast, RIM should get rid of BBM because I don't use it.

I say that tongue in cheek.

At last count there were 45 million active bbm users I believe and fast growing.

Anyway, bbm is a big part of my life as you can see. BBM is something that can only be done on a BB, FFC I already have on 3 different laptops in my house, I do not need it on my phone.
    01-28-12 11:17 AM
    This is what I think is being said. Its also how I feel. The smartphone market has those devices. Their called android and iphones. But on another note blackberrys can do a lot of the things you mention.
    This is the problem I see. The world doesn't know what a blackberry can do. They just assume the backberry can't do it. For an example you can already and for some time now hook your blackberry to a tv.
    P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'll agree with this. I think BB needs to get the devices able to do what most other devices can do and hit the marketing hard. Get people interested and looking forward to the future line ups.
    01-28-12 11:20 AM
    It make me wonder, why do people not explore their BBs and just assume they can't do certain tasks when they clearly can. In this thread alone you can see it, 4-5 different functions that blackberry does have and had them for a long time.
    01-28-12 11:30 AM
    At last count there were 45 million active bbm users I believe and fast growing.

Anyway, bbm is a big part of my life as you can see. BBM is something that can only be done on a BB, FFC I already have on 3 different laptops in my house, I do not need it on my phone.
    I wonder if you'd be willing to even try and understand my POV. I've given you several examples of the because I don't use it, BB doesn't need to include it (GPS, BBM, etc). This is basically your stance on the FFC option. That even though others want it and use it, because you don't, then forget BB having it.

It's not just the FFC...it's about BBs having the same capabilities as other phones. Why would a business want to limit sales?

Would it be such a terrible thing for RIM to bust out 3 different models--the traditional smaller screened physical keyboard, a middle sized slider, and a large touch screen where they were capable of what the other phones are capable of? Don't want to use it, don't. But it's there if you should want to. It's not about what one individual wants; it's about what the masses want. And it seems more people want certain functions than other people that don't want or don't use the functions. All RIM is doing by not having these options is limiting its sales. Yes yes I know there are a lot of BB users. As the younger generation comes into buying smartphones that have grown up on the net, you betcha they'll be googling reviews and what phones can and can't do.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 01-28-12 at 11:42 AM.
    01-28-12 11:40 AM
    Exactly. By limiting the options in the phone or really any electronic device, the company is only limiting themselves on bringing in those that want those options.
    Not really. Options on your device (any device) has the ability to weaking the security. Which if the option out weighs the risk then its worth it.
    Having an open os will always leave you open to risk. People will always me writting malware for the os because the have the code and and know how to make it work. I know several people that has gotten viruses on their androids from downloadng apps. I'm not saying everybody is going to get em or that ots bad. What I'm saying is have options that you don't use just has the chance to put you at risk. I remove everything I don't use.

01-28-12 11:41 AM
    Can someone point me to how you hook your BB smartphone (not the playbook) to a TV? I mean more than just to see pics...I'm talking about running a slideshow presentation, videos, etc.

I googled it and couldn't find anything but you can do so with the playbook.

4-5 things? We talked about remote print (there's an app in the Appstore) and hooking the BB to a TV. However, I googled around and couldn't find how you could actually hook your BB smartphone to a TV and view files, do powerpoint presentations, videos, games, etc.
    01-28-12 11:46 AM
    Not really. Options on your device (any device) has the ability to weaking the security. Which if the option out weighs the risk then its worth it.
    Having an open os will always leave you open to risk. People will always me writting malware for the os because the have the code and and know how to make it work. I know several people that has gotten viruses on their androids from downloadng apps. I'm not saying everybody is going to get em or that ots bad. What I'm saying is have options that you don't use just has the chance to put you at risk. I remove everything I don't use.

That's because people just go downloading pirated apps from shady sights. I can get the same result on my laptops and desktop. Does that mean we should remove the FFCs and other options because people are irresponsible?

And let me know if I'm correct or not...
    For those of you against RIM making changes so that they have teh same options as other smart phones, y'all will NOT be upgrading, correct?
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 01-28-12 at 11:53 AM.
    01-28-12 11:51 AM
    Can someone point me to how you hook your BB smartphone (not the playbook) to a TV? I mean more than just to see pics...I'm talking about running a slideshow presentation, videos, etc.

I googled it and couldn't find anything but you can do so with the playbook.

4-5 things? We talked about remote print (there's an app in the Appstore) and hooking the BB to a TV. However, I googled around and couldn't find how you could actually hook your BB smartphone to a TV and view files, do powerpoint presentations, videos, games, etc.
    Blackberry Presenter:

http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones...ies/presenter/
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-28-12 at 12:30 PM.
    01-28-12 11:59 AM
    Without having to carry around an external device.

Anyway, the debate in this thread is getting to be the same things said over and over. I need to head over to the PB area and see if it will pair with my Android phone and act like an external monitor.
    01-28-12 12:09 PM
    LOL. For some, BBs are perfect as-is. They should not upgrade.

I would like:

- an FFC. Skype is becoming an ubiquitous business tool in my line of work
    - BBM-centric ecosystem. Why not?
    - A content-laden ecosystem
    - multi-device hostpot capabilities
    - Compatibility with G-Cloud/availability of compelling alternative. I'd rather not use DM
    - Full touchscreen.

I'd give up multiple cores in a heart beat.
    01-28-12 12:17 PM
    I wonder if you'd be willing to even try and understand my POV. I've given you several examples of the because I don't use it, BB doesn't need to include it (GPS, BBM, etc). This is basically your stance on the FFC option. That even though others want it and use it, because you don't, then forget BB having it.

It's not just the FFC...it's about BBs having the same capabilities as other phones. Why would a business want to limit sales?

Would it be such a terrible thing for RIM to bust out 3 different models--the traditional smaller screened physical keyboard, a middle sized slider, and a large touch screen where they were capable of what the other phones are capable of? Don't want to use it, don't. But it's there if you should want to. It's not about what one individual wants; it's about what the masses want. And it seems more people want certain functions than other people that don't want or don't use the functions. All RIM is doing by not having these options is limiting its sales. Yes yes I know there are a lot of BB users. As the younger generation comes into buying smartphones that have grown up on the net, you betcha they'll be googling reviews and what phones can and can't do.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Thanks for dragging down the thread. RIM is differentiated by a system of devices and services that work together to provide solutions ... for doers, not viewers. BB and PlayBook work together better than any competing products. Thor would do well to focus on improving the hardware and OS for fast, seamless access to voice and information. The new OS system is scaleable, crosses platforms, stable, secure and fast. Excellent platform for apps. RIM does not need to be the "me too" hardware with every feature every wag things they should have.

Thor is 100% right to focus on delivery and marketing. Prove again they can deliver the technology they have announced. There will always be trolls and crooked media who say it is never enough. But great solutions delivered on time silence these people. Deliver on time and partner with the developers and service providers. The key is not being #1 tomorrow, but rather building positive business trends and growth.

Now is a good time to be aggressive while Apple has stepped in it big time with their publicized long record of ignoring the human rights issues at the China Foxconn mfg complex.
    01-28-12 12:26 PM
    That's because people just go downloading pirated apps from shady sights. I can get the same result on my laptops and desktop. Does that mean we should remove the FFCs and other options because people are irresponsible?

And let me know if I'm correct or not...
    For those of you against RIM making changes so that they have teh same options as other smart phones, y'all will NOT be upgrading, correct?
    Look when you 1st said hook the blackberry to the tv you said show pictures. Well thats what im talkng about. Im not talking about presentions. I know nothing about that. To answer ur queston you plug your usb cable into your tv, or media device. And you can access your media.
    Again your taking me out of context. Your saying buy a device that has options that you dont use. That leaves youat risk. I dont care about androids doing things i cant if i dont plan on usingthat option.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 01-28-12 at 12:58 PM.
    01-28-12 12:53 PM
    Things a BB can do contrary to popular belief:

Remote print - check
    Document sync - check
    Connect to tv - check
    BB to BB calendar share/sync -check
    BB to BB photos sync - check
    Customise screens - check
    Widgets - check (some apps + weather apps)
    01-28-12 12:58 PM
    The way this thread has sidetracked .......I can't see it being at all useful for our advocates at RIM to know what we want if even we argue over what we want.

I think we need a thread that is well monitored to keep it right on track so it is easily readable for RIM.
    Just my opinion.
    01-28-12 01:01 PM
    The way this thread has sidetracked .......I can't see it being at all useful for our advocates at RIM to know what we want if even we argue over what we want.

I think we need a thread that is well monitored to keep it right on track so it is easily readable for RIM.
    Just my opinion.
    True, but we need to ask for new things not for what we already have lol. Where's the guy that asked if he can have a shared BB to BB calendar? He must be hiding his head in shame now
    01-28-12 01:04 PM
    Well I apologize for bringing down a thread that's about what others want to see out of a BB and I listed what I wanted to see in a BB.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but it seems I'm more of a champion for BB success by tossing out common features on a ton of smart phones that a lot of people like rather than not offering these options and these people take their money elsewhere as opposed to those that don't want these options available.

Belfast, I'm talking your phone directly connects to the TV, not having to buy another device to the same thing. And this direct connection now makes the TV an external monitor...this doesn't leave one open for security risks. Geez

FFC, I mean, why the heck not? This should just be as standard as a 3.5 mm jack.

Customize screens very very limited other than a few themes that rearrange your icons in various places. I'm talking full blown screen(s) customization.

Anyway, it's apparent with teh resistance that some of you just want more marketing and delivery of products on time. If that's all...that's easy.
    01-28-12 02:14 PM

Just my opinion.
    That's easy. People post a list of what they'd like to see in a BB. Remove the parts debating on why we don't need X and Y. RIM can then focus on adding those items that seem the most popular in terms of what the overall consumer wants.

Then find out why those that used BBs left to other devices and use some of that to help bring back in others that left. I mean if adding a couple of features that a few million people left BB to go to iPhone or WM or Palm or whatever brings 'em back...that seems like a smart financial investment.

Anyway, that's all I got. I'll bow out of this thread now. Y'all have a good weekend.
    01-28-12 02:18 PM
    Things a BB can do contrary to popular belief:

Remote print - check
    Document sync - check
    Connect to tv - check
    BB to BB calendar share/sync -check
    BB to BB photos sync - check
    Customise screens - check
    Widgets - check (some apps + weather apps)
    Widgets? Really? Which ones excluding weather ones?

And how exactly do you go about hooking up your BB phone to the TV without needing 3rd party equipment (excluding a cable of course)

EDIT: NVM..found it. the Blackberry Presenter!! Only an additional $200 on top of your already $600 phone and you to can do what comes standard in most phones today!

I'd also point out that there is very limited "customising" of "screens(? plural..really?) since OS7 has broken the Theme engine..
    Last edited by Rickroller; 01-28-12 at 02:35 PM.
    01-28-12 02:24 PM
    Belfast, I'm talking your phone directly connects to the TV, not having to buy another device to the same thing. And this direct connection now makes the TV an external monitor...this doesn't leave one open for security risks. Geez

FFC, I mean, why the heck not? This should just be as standard as a 3.5 mm jack.
    I don't connect my phone to a TV and I never said anything about security, getting confused?

Ffc is standard on laptops, if I ever need it I will use it, I had it on a winmo phone 4-5 years ago(google HTC M700- before the first iphone came out) and never used it. I don't need it on a phone.

Edit:

http://imei-check.com/m700.jpg

Just like 3d tv, ffc is a fad.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-28-12 at 02:38 PM.
    01-28-12 02:31 PM
    Well the thread is still relatively small, so lets keep it on track... I think they could still skim through this and see what some of us want in a short period of time...
    01-28-12 02:37 PM
    I don't connect my phone to a TV and I never said anything about security, getting confused?

Ffc is standard on laptops, if I ever need it I will use it, I had it on a winmo phone 4-5 years ago(google HTC M700- before the first iphone came out) and never used it. I don't need it on a phone.

Edit:

http://imei-check.com/m700.jpg

Just like 3d tv, ffc is a fad.
    "Ffc is standard on laptops", as well as every other modern day smartphone in the world (excluding BB's)

A fad? Really? A fad that's now been around for 4-5 years, and not going anywhere anytime soon.
    01-28-12 02:40 PM
    ffc is a fad.

Can I use this as my siggie some day? For the sake of discussion, what else (that is not on BBs currently) would you deem a fad?

I would also like to see more BB accessories. The market isn't exactly lacking now, but I would like to see more OEM pieces.

Seriously... if I were RIM, I would recruit evangelists from this very forum.
    01-28-12 02:45 PM
    What is the general feeling about number of models? I hold that RIM should have two or three -- maybe four -- base models. Curve/Bold variant, all touchscreen, Torch-type device and maybe a Pearl (I hear there are quite a few people who love the form factor).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by trelawrence; 01-28-12 at 02:51 PM. Reason: punctuation.
    01-28-12 02:48 PM
    Well I'm glad Thor and belfast aren't in agreement on this one. According to belfast, BB's are absolutely perfect, and don't need to be changed. I believe Mike and Jim also thought this for the last 5 years, and thus RIM's problems.

RIM needs to ABSOLUTELY match every other ability in a phone out there today..and come up with something innovative of their own (within the phone itself, without needing an accessory such as Playbook).
    01-28-12 02:50 PM
118 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD