Since the new CEO seems to be a true people person, which is truly awesome.... Why don't we make this the official thread where we post ideas and and the like, of what we think should be on our BB's. This is big news and it seems our new CEO will truly listen to us, which is awesome, since we, the consumer know best.. and hopefully Mr. kevincan pass along these fine ideas............
    Last edited by Tank1978; 01-29-12 at 08:48 AM.
    01-27-12 07:05 PM
    I guess I will start by saying I think they are doing awesome with coming out with one full touch screen and one querty phone, in my opinion thats exactly what needed to be done...
    BB10FTW likes this.
    01-27-12 07:08 PM
    First, thanks for posting this thread!

How about printing from the PlayBook and compatibility with the BlackBerry Presenter? Looking forward to OS2.0!
    ALToronto likes this.
    01-27-12 07:49 PM
    I know this may seem very minor to some Well.......I would love more choices in colors I would love to get an white phone
    01-27-12 07:54 PM
    I think additional colours is a good idea.. Even if the stores dont have them all in stock, atleast make it an option to order a colour, or select five or six of the most popular colours and run with it..
    Ammunet91 likes this.
    01-27-12 08:57 PM
    Also hope to see a real strong marketing push for the playbook..... And in Canada blackberry useage is still fairly strong, I would also recommend advertising the torch a little more, as it is an all touch device..
    01-27-12 09:59 PM
    Really I just wish if he was going to talk about other devices, he'd get his facts right. His statement that Androids are all the same is so far from wrong.

Anyway, here's what would get my business:
    Front facing camera w/video conferencing
    HDMI to TV
    Large touchscreen (4.3"+)
    Ability to sync with my google music, gmail, and docs without problems
    Large app availability
    Ability to remote print
    Ability to customize my screens and use widgets if I want
    NO truncated email
    Ability to use wiimote or similar device using bluetooth
    High quality graphic games available...

Using the hdmi, I can hook my phone to the TV. then I can pair the wiimote to my phone and play games like Shadowgun on my TV.

That's right off the top of my head. If they're going to want to pull in business from those of us that have gotten use to other devices, they'll need to offer the basic capabilities of what we're used to from our current devices.
    01-27-12 10:36 PM
    Well what we can expect is front facing cameras, I think that is a must..... And the apps they are working on as we know..... Like we have said, the olaybooks are pretty much their new phones, only bigger...
    01-27-12 10:51 PM
    Firstly he should defo change the look for the bb london... This mans legend for reaching out... Big things ahead
    01-27-12 11:05 PM
    I like him so far
    irreverent question but is he canadian? lol I tried searching but all I can find is he's from germany? haha
    01-27-12 11:10 PM
    I think PlayBook with a native printing capability would be amazing. I think Mr. Heins is on the right track with calling the PlayBook a "mobile computing device." I think the first tablet that can effectively replace a laptop will be the biggest winner and there's no reason it can't be RIM's tablet.
    01-27-12 11:55 PM
    yeah, the London looked a lil odd, but it was a demo. He is German
    01-27-12 11:57 PM
    Okay, let me go out on a limb a bit...

I believe one or the other co-CEOs seriously dropped the ball on the Playbook. QNX was an excellent idea (and will be proven so as events unfold from here), and I think most of the biggest design decisions for the PB were excellent. The notion that the device should "extend" the phone (without being completely dependent like the doomed Palm Foleo concept) was sound.

And then... RIM got some intel on the iPad 2, and it rattled them. Somewhere in the senior executive, someone made the decision that the Playbook absolutely HAD to launch head-to-head, and it had to be competitive not only for business customers, but for the mass consumer market as well. Consequences of this decision? Ramped up production from the OEM, very likely, and an accelerated launch schedule. This, from a company whose very consensual decision-making process discouraged agility.

The result? Playbook launches AFTER the iPad by a good month, with an incomplete feature set and with an audaciously high price point. And questionable marketing support. AND an almost bare "app cupboard".

RIM was in catch-up mode from the moment the decision was made to confront Apple, and chaos ensued. We know the public part of it: missed deadlines, broken promises, resignations from key executives (when the VP of dev relations went, I felt a bit of a chill).

It was all supposed to get better in October. The new system software would be introduced, we'd have Android Player, and native e-mail, and everything would be perfect...

End scene.

Except, something happened last October. At some point, the executives responsible for the poor execution over the months were called to account. And I believe the board's first response was to ask for suggestions. REALLY going out on a limb, I'm going to suggest that Mr. Heins had already butted heads with either Jim or Mike (I have my suspicions, but there's no reason to elaborate now) repeatedly, perhaps expressing frustration over that execution issue. Perhaps, Mr. Heins was able to present to the board a plan to reboot the Playbook, and restore the public's faith in the BlackBerry brand...

I believe a plan was put into place then. I believe that Jim and Mike's days in the executive office were already numbered, and that an orderly transition was initiated then. That's when the PB OS upgrade was pushed back (partly for polish, partly for marketing reasons), and that's when the write-down was announced on anticipated PlayBook revenue.

From that point on, the die was pretty much cast. I think Thorstein was given a little leeway to see if he really had a plan, and once he'd shown some progress the succession plans were firmed up.

There was nothing from the headhunters to suggest an outsider was being sought; that leads me to think there was already a plan in place.
    AugustArborists likes this.
    01-28-12 12:42 AM
    Really I just wish if he was going to talk about other devices, he'd get his facts right. His statement that Androids are all the same is so far from wrong.
    I believe what he meant was that in shape they look very similar and they do not really have any features that set the devices apart.

HTC, Samsung, Motorola just dont have anything that stands out outside of hardware and if I have no previous knowledge of their hardware what makes them different? Also there are tons of phones for Android, they are very generic.
    01-28-12 01:42 AM
    I like him so far
    irreverent question but is he canadian? lol I tried searching but all I can find is he's from germany? haha
    .............Ummmm maybe that's because he is German
    01-28-12 01:45 AM

HDMI to TV
    Large app availability
    Ability to remote print
    NO truncated email

Using the hdmi, I can hook my phone to the TV. then I can pair the wiimote to my phone and play games like Shadowgun on my TV.

That's right off the top of my head. If they're going to want to pull in business from those of us that have gotten use to other devices, they'll need to offer the basic capabilities of what we're used to from our current devices.

I will never need all that from a Blackberry and I will never buy such a Blackberry. You already have a phone doing all that, I don't want BB to turn into a clone of it.
    OniBerry likes this.
    01-28-12 02:04 AM
    Well what we can expect is front facing cameras, I think that is a must..... And the apps they are working on as we know..... Like we have said, the olaybooks are pretty much their new phones, only bigger...
    Not many like front facing cameras. I don't, but it would be nice if two of the same new devices had the same equal specs, just one difference. One has FF Camera, the other doesn't. It would be a win win for everyone.
    01-28-12 02:07 AM

HDMI to TV
    Large app availability
    Ability to remote print
    NO truncated email

You uhmmmm are uhhh describing an Android phone sir.
    01-28-12 02:11 AM
    I wouldn't worry about Rim winning customers back from Android or Iphone, every year there's a fresh generation of young and old people willing to get their first smartphone, that's where it's at.
    BB10FTW, kbz1960 and Pacmanuk like this.
    01-28-12 02:22 AM
    I will never need all that from a Blackberry and I will never buy such a Blackberry. You already have a phone doing all that, I don't want BB to turn into a clone of it.
    So since you don't need it do those things, it shouldn't be able to? This was the same reasoning years ago when Civic showed the iPhone playing some seriously cool looking games on a phone. And people were like, "I don't need my phone to do that. Who'd want to be able to play games on a phone...stupid." Yet we had a bunch of people all happy about those free games that RIM gave out and wanting Angry Birds and other games. And wouldn't it be kinda cool when your mom and dad came by if you could hook your phone to your TV and show them a slideshow of the pictures of their grandkids? Of course you'll prob so you don't have kids and don't need the phone to do that. My point is this -- why shouldn't it be able to?

You have a person looking at phones, they ask the salesman, "hey, what can this BB phone and this Android phone do?" The salesman says, "Well, the BB can do A,B, and C and the other phone can do A,B, and C and a slew of other things." Which one do you think is more likely to get the sale?

If RIM wants to capture the audience of people that have left for other devices, it needs to be able to do what the other products are capable of. Whether or not they'll use these capabilities or not isn't the point. People like phones that can do things.

And things like remote print, ablility to easily sync with various docs and no truncated emails is very business related abilities. I keep hearing BB is best for business. Throw in things like FFC for video conferencing which should just be standard plus it hooks hdmi to your TV so now you can teleconference at home for work purposes. Yes, we have laptops that can do that...but that's not my point.

Let's not limit the phones because some people don't use certain features. If this was the way things were done, then RIM would cut out BBM because I don't use it.

I guess you're saying if you took your current BB you have now and my listed abilities were added in as something that could be done (whether you use it or not is beside the point), you wouldn't buy it. Yes, the same phone you have now only with the abilities I listed (scratch the large touchscreen if you want), you'd not want it. And if a software OTA push happened and suddenly your phone could do those things, you'd sell it, right?
    01-28-12 04:51 AM
    I wouldn't worry about Rim winning customers back from Android or Iphone, every year there's a fresh generation of young and old people willing to get their first smartphone, that's where it's at.
    So they should just not care about getting as many sales as they can? RIM should just keep producing phones that can't do what a lot of other phones can do?

You're a staunch supporter of RIM and seem to get very defensive for some reason when people criticize BB phones. And so I understand why you'd say this. Me, I don't understand fierce brand loyalty except when it comes to fuel injected vs using a carb. I will never purchase a car that doesn't have fuel injection and power steering. No lie that I have a friend that hates fuel injected cars and can careless about power steering, he thinks that since he doesn't use these things in his cars, they should do away with them in all cars. I personally can't imagine not having power steering.

I like my phones to be able to do things...I don't care what logo is on the front.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 01-28-12 at 05:02 AM.
    Pacmanuk and BoldtotheMax like this.
    01-28-12 04:55 AM
    You uhmmmm are uhhh describing an Android phone sir.
    Forget that it's X or Y brand phone. I'm describing what a good number of phones out there can do and more will continue to do. Adding features is not a bad thing.
    Elysa_38 likes this.
    01-28-12 04:56 AM
    So they should just not care about getting as many sales as they can? RIM should just keep producing phones that can't do what a lot of other phones can do?

You're a staunch supporter of RIM and seem to get very defensive for some reason when people criticize BB phones. And so I understand why you'd say this. Me, I don't understand fierce brand loyalty except when it comes to fuel injected vs using a carb. I will never purchase a car that doesn't have fuel injection and power steering. No lie that I have a friend that hates fuel injected cars and can careless about power steering, he thinks that since he doesn't use these things in his cars, they should do away with them in all cars. I personally can't imagine not having power steering.

I like my phones to be able to do things...I don't care what logo is on the front.

And that's Rim's problem, if they put all the Android features on a Blackberry they will loose me and old BB users like me as customers.

I don't need FFC on a phone, I had it 4-5 years ago and never used it and I have it on my laptop anyway, I don't want a huge slab of glass, I don't want my phone to be a games console but I definitely need full qwerty keyboard.
    01-28-12 05:45 AM
    So since you don't need it do those things, it shouldn't be able to? This was the same reasoning years ago when Civic showed the iPhone playing some seriously cool looking games on a phone. And people were like, "I don't need my phone to do that. Who'd want to be able to play games on a phone...stupid." Yet we had a bunch of people all happy about those free games that RIM gave out and wanting Angry Birds and other games. And wouldn't it be kinda cool when your mom and dad came by if you could hook your phone to your TV and show them a slideshow of the pictures of their grandkids? Of course you'll prob so you don't have kids and don't need the phone to do that. My point is this -- why shouldn't it be able to?

You have a person looking at phones, they ask the salesman, "hey, what can this BB phone and this Android phone do?" The salesman says, "Well, the BB can do A,B, and C and the other phone can do A,B, and C and a slew of other things." Which one do you think is more likely to get the sale?

If RIM wants to capture the audience of people that have left for other devices, it needs to be able to do what the other products are capable of. Whether or not they'll use these capabilities or not isn't the point. People like phones that can do things.

And things like remote print, ablility to easily sync with various docs and no truncated emails is very business related abilities. I keep hearing BB is best for business. Throw in things like FFC for video conferencing which should just be standard plus it hooks hdmi to your TV so now you can teleconference at home for work purposes. Yes, we have laptops that can do that...but that's not my point.

Let's not limit the phones because some people don't use certain features. If this was the way things were done, then RIM would cut out BBM because I don't use it.

I guess you're saying if you took your current BB you have now and my listed abilities were added in as something that could be done (whether you use it or not is beside the point), you wouldn't buy it. Yes, the same phone you have now only with the abilities I listed (scratch the large touchscreen if you want), you'd not want it. And if a software OTA push happened and suddenly your phone could do those things, you'd sell it, right?

Why do you keep saying BB has no remote print and doc sync? It does.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/3901

When's the last time you had a look in Appworld? There's been an explosion of lots of new apps recently.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-28-12 at 05:57 AM.
    01-28-12 05:51 AM
    And that's Rim's problem, if they put all the Android features on a Blackberry they will loose me and old BB users like me as customers.

I don't need FFC on a phone, I had it 4-5 years ago and never used it and I have it on my laptop anyway, I don't want a huge slab of glass, I don't want my phone to be a games console but I definitely need full qwerty keyboard.
    These aren't Android features. They're phone features. No one said do away with the qwety keyboard or have only a slab type phone. I want a large touchscreen and so do a ton of consumers. RIM would be stupid to do away with its smaller screen physical keyboard phone. The answer here is RIM concentrates on a few devices--two being one with a physical keyboard and one large touchscreen.

Here's the thing...you don't have to use the FFC. You don't have to play games. Just like you can use hotmail on your phone, you choose not to. Should RIM remove the ability to access certain functions because some people don't use them? My question is why shouldn't a phone be able to do these things even if we don't use them? Just because some people don't need certain functions doesn't mean it should limit those of us that want them.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 01-28-12 at 06:04 AM.
    BoldtotheMax likes this.
    01-28-12 05:57 AM
118 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD