Being a frequent flyer, till some time back I used to see a lot of people with laptops at the airport. Recently, most of them would be seated with their iPads.
    Off late, I hardly see people with tablets. Most of them are busy fiddling with their phones.
    Are the tablets phasing out for the traveling customer?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 01:31 PM
    I forget where I read it but just the other day an article was talking about this.

"The desktop/laptop has become the work tool, tablet the at home device and the smartphone does everything else"

I really think blackberry is just fully aware they can't make a better ipad then the ipad. It's all about apps with a tablet, way more then with a smartphone. We can't even get native Kindle for crying out loud lol.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and citystars41 like this.
    07-21-13 01:34 PM
    I would still take my Playbook on planes and trips but I don't see any reason to take it anywhere else. I'd rather have a desktop computer over a laptop since I have a Playbook and Q10 for on the go also.
    07-21-13 01:36 PM
    The larger phones like the galaxy note are no doubt being used in the place of other computing devices. More potable than even a tablet and yet large enough to do it all. Well do most anything a traveler needs to do on the go.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    rickkel likes this.
    07-21-13 01:37 PM
    That's how I always felt about it too, I'm still surprised how popular tablets have become. For me, if it's not as powerful and useful as my laptop, then it better fit in my pocket or I'm not interested.
    Bbnivende and nquyen like this.
    07-21-13 01:45 PM
    I found myself rarely using my 4th generation iPad ever since I purchased the z10 (coming from 9900) so I can see how there is some merit to this.

Posted via Z10
    lee_michael_f92 likes this.
    07-21-13 01:47 PM
    I travel quite a bit and still take my playbook - mainly for watching movies on the plane. But, that said, my Z10 does just about everything else better than the playbook.
    David in Durham likes this.
    07-21-13 01:49 PM
    Yes he is correct for the future of the tablet.

BB Z10 rocks.
    07-21-13 01:53 PM
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    07-21-13 02:01 PM
    When the PB came out it appealed to lots of BBOS7 users because their devices were behind most all others. People that owned higher end android devices dont see the need for a 7 inch tablet nearly as much because their device already could do most everything out there and the PB was just an extra uneeded device. They DO see merit in a bigger 10" device though since its much bigger than a android phone.

Now that BB10 is here and the z10 has hit the market, many of those same OS7 users dont need the PB or a tablet near as much. Their phones now compete with the nicer android phones and have similar capabilities. the z10 blows away every aspect of the PB pretty much.

If you have a good phone, the 7 inch tablet isnt as appealing as it once was. I dont see Thorsten as being 100% right. There is still a huge demand for the ipad and there never was a huge demand for anything else. If his vision is to make dumb tablets with the phone powering them then I still think that is aways away. I think most still want them to be seperate entities.

I can get by without a laptop for some trips and take my Nook only but i would still want a keyboard and maybe mouse for others. Might as well take a laptop if that is the case. I own a dell 13.3 so its not that big anyway. Having a phone powering a "screen" isnt going to change my needs for this in the near future.
    vaioman, Blacklatino and CDM76 like this.
    07-21-13 02:18 PM
    Yes he is correct for the future of the tablet. Playbook.

BB Z10 rocks.
    FIFY.
    07-21-13 02:30 PM
    That is were the A10 will fit in perfectly. I think it can replace a e-reader with it's 5" screen and will attract the video streaming crowd.
    07-21-13 03:05 PM
    For me: laptop to do serious office work, Z10 to take on field trips and do anything else. And the iPad: entertainment device at home, not for any trips or serious work. That's just me.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-21-13 03:20 PM
    That's how I always felt about it too, I'm still surprised how popular tablets have become. For me, if it's not as powerful and useful as my laptop, then it better fit in my pocket or I'm not interested.
    I have always found the iPad to be as useful as a laptop, at least for most things (less in some, more in others). Until recently it also sported better battery life than a laptop as well. Now the 13" MacBook Air offers a longer battery life for moderate tasks.

I personally use a smartphone much of the stuff I do on the go. At work I use a desktop with a large screen.
    07-21-13 03:22 PM
    Maybe in five years he'll be right when technology catches up to his dreams.

But the tablet market is growing faster than the smartphone market.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 03:25 PM
    "and the smartphone does everything else"
    Posted via CB10
    Huh???

I think what you mean is a smart phone will do things a smart phone can do. Other devices will do other things.
    07-21-13 03:30 PM
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Lmao! Mean but funny
    07-21-13 04:04 PM
    Well, Microsoft recently reported a $900 million inventory write down for the surface.
    http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/fi...g50Uf.jhNKVfAK

The surface is down to $349 today. I dont think they are making any money on it though.

I think Thorsten was right about the tablet. There won't be healthy margins on tablets. Even Apple had to make a reduced price mini ipad to compete with the others.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 05:17 PM
    It's like predicting you all will be dead one of these days and funeral homes will never run out of business.
    07-21-13 05:23 PM
    Well, Microsoft recently reported a $900 million inventory write down for the surface.

The surface is down to $349 today. I dont think they are making any money on it though.

I think Thorsten was right about the tablet. There won't be healthy margins on tablets. Even Apple had to make a reduced price mini ipad to compete with the others.

Posted via CB10
    apple also slashed ipad 4 and ipad mini production in half a month or 2 after their release.

and as previously stated, the A10 will fill the void of the playbook except have better specs

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 05:28 PM
    Now is not the time to vindicate Thorsten's statement, not when the tablet market is still in explosive growth. Bump this thread back when the market is not growing 42% year over year.
    07-21-13 05:32 PM

Posted via CB10

You need to be specific, the write down was on the Surface RT. I'm not sure why they even launched the RT at the same time as announcing the Surface Pro, I know I'm only interested in the pro that will run real windows software.

Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk
    07-21-13 05:33 PM
    The Surface RT vs Surface Pro is a good unplanned experiment.

Same manufacturer, similar marketing, similar product. The RT and the Pro were so similar that it was confusing to the consumer.

The only thing the consumer needed to know was that the RT couldn't run all the apps as the other one. A wonderful real-world experiment showing that apps matter.
    07-21-13 05:49 PM
    Now is not the time to vindicate Thorsten's statement, not when the tablet market is still in explosive growth. Bump this thread back when the market is not growing 42% year over year.
    The intention isn't to vindicate Thor. It is just speculation. The rapid changes in the people's preferences seems interesting. The iPads market for sure is growing but the percentage of people using them at Airports seems to be diminishing at a faster pace. The faster mobiles surely seem more convenient for the on the go user.
    The BlackBerry 's mobile computing idea could be a reality if the Automobile Industry, Transportation Industry and most of the places of interests start having low power tablets thus allowing the user to travel light. And these tablets are already there. The challenge is the compatibility for BlackBerry since they would prefer to be compatible with the popular phone OS.
    Just my observation.

Posted via CB10
    madman0141 likes this.
    07-21-13 06:37 PM
    I don't take my laptop anymore. I can do pretty much everything I need on my tablet and it also saves time going through security (don't have to take the iPad out of my bag). If I had a MacBook Air I would most likely ditch the iPad though, but as it is I need it for work as we have some programs on there specifically for the iPad for presentations.
    07-21-13 07:20 PM
116 123 ...