It was a real bind. Had they gone Android at the time, they would have found Gingerbread impossible to secure, and would have lost their customer base as well.
    I agree... they'd have to release something much like Silent Circle did back then. Great for security, but nothing consumers would have wanted.
    05-02-19 10:33 AM
    I agree... they'd have to release something much like Silent Circle did back then. Great for security, but nothing consumers would have wanted.
    If only we could have relied on data compression needs forever.....
    jope28 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    05-02-19 01:21 PM
    If only we could have relied on data compression needs forever.....
    Who really need 3G or LTE....
    05-02-19 03:04 PM
    Who really need 3G or LTE....
    Is that you Mike L over there? Are you pranking me?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-02-19 03:19 PM
    From a business standpoint, I say John Chen. The company though not making smartphones anymore is still solvent and making money.

We could also be looking at the other side with bankruptcy and maybe this conversation or website wouldn’t be relevant anymore?

I prefer the current situation, Blackberry is still in business and we are still here. Just my two cents.
    ppeters914 and glwerry like this.
    05-02-19 05:52 PM
    This question is sort of like asking which GM of the Edmonton Oilers was the best.
    glwerry likes this.
    05-02-19 07:30 PM
    This question is sort of like asking which GM of the Edmonton Oilers was the best.
    Nah, that's an easy one: Glen Sather.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-02-19 08:55 PM
    Nah, that's an easy one: Glen Sather.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    He did trade Wayne...
    05-03-19 01:01 AM
    True. But that was on Pocklington's orders. And he won another cup afterward -- and one with the New York Oilers too!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    05-03-19 05:53 AM
    Chen came too late. They just had to keep it in the family and still didn't recognize the company had major structural problems.

However, BlackBerry didn't have money to dump into R&D to develop ecosystems as Google and Apple did.
    05-04-19 06:28 AM
    They were clutching their BBOS devices telling the rest of the world that they were sheep for wanting a cell phone that did more than just email, calendaring, and SMS.
    SOME of us LOYAL fanbase are STILL "clutching" (proficiently in a single hand over breakfast, btw lol) our beloved BBOS devices... To this very minute! To this very post!! Contrary to some self perpetuating rumors, OS7.1 really did MUCH more than just "email, calendaring, and SMS". Lol. But yes, I'd rather edit 100 spreadsheet cells on this 9900 than suffer thru 10 such edits on Q10's impossibly tiny touch UI. AND, btw, avail myself of 9900's ability to insert spreadsheet rows... Something BB10 native NEVER did. Afaik. SOoo... What, exactly DID Q10, as released, do "more" of?? ?? Lol.

Unlike early deserters, BBOS loyalists like myself NEVER deserted love of true BlackBerry experience. (More precisely, love of proficiency that experience had been optimized for.) It was RIM who deserted and betrayed their own, fiercely loyal, legacy fanbase!! Imo. A user base that STILL outnumbered BB10 not so long ago, afaik. A platform who's evolved proficiency demonstrably DID collaborate to contribute to my bank account. Still does. Will till the last minute. A minute when my productivity will tangibly suffer. Yes, I'm still clutching my 8 year old BBOS device... as I would clutch my bank account. A significant motive behind "loyalties". Lol.

BB10's success depended much on at least one of three strategies:

1). Attracting Apple fans
    2). Attracting Android fans
    3). Attracting BBOS fans

BB10's compromises obviously failed at all three. Some compromises in life fail to satisfy ANYone. Here we are. Lol.

NO sacrifice of genuine "BlackBerry Experience" has EVER proven great enough to significantly succeed at 1 & 2. To this day, at least. If Z10/30, D50/60, Motion, etc didn't do it, what will? Are consumer and professional markets really compatible enough to achieve optimal win-win compromise in any single device? Or even platform?. ??

Only thoroughly disconnected lunatics could've even considered attempting to attract migration of loyal legacy fanbase (strategy 3) by abandoning toolbelt on Q... Imo. Chen, at least, permitted toolbelt back onto Classic. Flawed as actual implementation was. How different might things have turned out if BB had legitimately migrated the best of OS7 UX well enough for legitimately migrating enough of legacy fanbase to jumpstart their new platform's "stillborn" app ecosystem? ??? Back in 2013? ??

BB10 represented GREAT promise. Promise delayed for years till that OS ultimately achieved admirable functional maturity. Promise tiny RIM obviously lacked resources to fulfill at launch date. It wasn't just a newer os version. It represented a complete platform. Almost a new company! No small achievement for tech monsters like Apple and Google. A reach too far, for relatively tiny RIM. As it turned out.

Since so precious little of BB "10" was based on previous experience, calling it anything other that BB1.0 was disingenuous, at best. Imo. (10 derived from X of BBX, I'd always heard) It greatly improved memory management reliability over 7.0 BUT lost virtually every "little moment of delight" that had evolved thru BBOS' years of hard won experience. Experience affording tiny RIM a potentially invaluable asset for competing against "younger", bottomless pocket, tech monsters like Apple & Google. An asset TOO eagerly tossed. Imo. Apparently tossed in response to a silly book ML had read? Go figure. Lol.

An asset already betrayed, deserted and surrendered when JC took the helm. Pretty much set on path when TH ascended the pilot house? ML's culpability might exceed JC and TH combined?

Given what Chen inherited, I myself, wouldn't aspire to have done any better... Lol. For shareholders, that is...

Users?? Lol. Here we are. Thanks partly to ML & DD betraying multiple 10's on millions of LOYAL userbase by surrendering toolbelt on Q...? imo. Fwiw. Course charted well before JC. Can't say what role TH played charting in that.. ?
    05-05-19 11:27 AM
    Wow. Haven't read a rant like that in a while.

Feel better now?
    05-06-19 06:45 PM
    SOME of us LOYAL fanbase are STILL "clutching" (proficiently in a single hand over breakfast, btw lol) our beloved BBOS devices... To this very minute! To this very post!! Contrary to some self perpetuating rumors, OS7.1 really did MUCH more than just "email, calendaring, and SMS". Lol. But yes, I'd rather edit 100 spreadsheet cells on this 9900 than suffer thru 10 such edits on Q10's impossibly tiny touch UI. AND, btw, avail myself of 9900's ability to insert spreadsheet rows... Something BB10 native NEVER did. Afaik. SOoo... What, exactly DID Q10, as released, do "more" of?? ?? Lol.

Unlike early deserters, BBOS loyalists like myself NEVER deserted love of true BlackBerry experience. (More precisely, love of proficiency that experience had been optimized for.) It was RIM who deserted and betrayed their own, fiercely loyal, legacy fanbase!! Imo. A user base that STILL outnumbered BB10 not so long ago, afaik. A platform who's evolved proficiency demonstrably DID collaborate to contribute to my bank account. Still does. Will till the last minute. A minute when my productivity will tangibly suffer. Yes, I'm still clutching my 8 year old BBOS device... as I would clutch my bank account. A significant motive behind "loyalties". Lol.

BB10's success depended much on at least one of three strategies:

1). Attracting Apple fans
    2). Attracting Android fans
    3). Attracting BBOS fans

BB10's compromises obviously failed at all three. Some compromises in life fail to satisfy ANYone. Here we are. Lol.

NO sacrifice of genuine "BlackBerry Experience" has EVER proven great enough to significantly succeed at 1 & 2. To this day, at least. If Z10/30, D50/60, Motion, etc didn't do it, what will? Are consumer and professional markets really compatible enough to achieve optimal win-win compromise in any single device? Or even platform?. ??

Only thoroughly disconnected lunatics could've even considered attempting to attract migration of loyal legacy fanbase (strategy 3) by abandoning toolbelt on Q... Imo. Chen, at least, permitted toolbelt back onto Classic. Flawed as actual implementation was. How different might things have turned out if BB had legitimately migrated the best of OS7 UX well enough for legitimately migrating enough of legacy fanbase to jumpstart their new platform's "stillborn" app ecosystem? ??? Back in 2013? ??

BB10 represented GREAT promise. Promise delayed for years till that OS ultimately achieved admirable functional maturity. Promise tiny RIM obviously lacked resources to fulfill at launch date. It wasn't just a newer os version. It represented a complete platform. Almost a new company! No small achievement for tech monsters like Apple and Google. A reach too far, for relatively tiny RIM. As it turned out.

Since so precious little of BB "10" was based on previous experience, calling it anything other that BB1.0 was disingenuous, at best. Imo. (10 derived from X of BBX, I'd always heard) It greatly improved memory management reliability over 7.0 BUT lost virtually every "little moment of delight" that had evolved thru BBOS' years of hard won experience. Experience affording tiny RIM a potentially invaluable asset for competing against "younger", bottomless pocket, tech monsters like Apple & Google. An asset TOO eagerly tossed. Imo. Apparently tossed in response to a silly book ML had read? Go figure. Lol.

An asset already betrayed, deserted and surrendered when JC took the helm. Pretty much set on path when TH ascended the pilot house? ML's culpability might exceed JC and TH combined?

Given what Chen inherited, I myself, wouldn't aspire to have done any better... Lol. For shareholders, that is...

Users?? Lol. Here we are. Thanks partly to ML & DD betraying multiple 10's on millions of LOYAL userbase by surrendering toolbelt on Q...? imo. Fwiw. Course charted well before JC. Can't say what role TH played charting in that.. ?
    BB10 was designed for an all touch device with a larger screen. They should have just kept on using BBOS / track pads for their small screened PKB devices.
    05-06-19 06:55 PM
    BB10 was designed for an all touch device with a larger screen. They should have just kept on using BBOS / track pads for their small screened PKB devices.
    Thing is, not even BlackBerry wanted to chase that small niche. Bigger is better was the trend, and still is it seems. Small devices with trackpads and keyboards were not something they wanted to chase... But in the end it was all they had, so Passport, Classic, Priv and KEYdevcies. Each selling fewer then the previous...
    05-07-19 08:15 AM
    Wow. Haven't read a rant like that in a while.

Feel better now?
    For a while he will... but it never lasts.
    05-07-19 08:17 AM
    Thing is, not even BlackBerry wanted to chase that small niche. Bigger is better was the trend, and still is it seems. Small devices with trackpads and keyboards were not something they wanted to chase... But in the end it was all they had, so Passport, Classic, Priv and KEYdevcies. Each selling fewer then the previous...
    Didn't the KEYone sell better than the Priv and KEY2 better than the PP?

I would think so
    05-07-19 09:08 AM
    Didn't the KEYone sell better than the Priv and KEY2 better than the PP?
    Does that mean anything?
    05-07-19 09:12 AM
    Wow. Haven't read a rant like that in a while. Feel better now?
    Haha... much better now. Thank you. OP sought opinion and supporting reasoning. I obliged. Lol. Sorry for the crazy long rant, tho. My apologies to all. Actually didn't realize it'd grown so large till re-reading just now. A downside of not looking while typing and then not proofing? That old 9930 seems to extract words from thumb in enchanting ways! Lol. After this past week of typing on "modern" stuff, typing on that old Bold just proved TOOooo enjoyable!

Not to worry, this old Bold gets "quieted" around year end. Killing off legacy BB is ONE way to shorten posts!. Lol
    05-08-19 12:48 PM
43 12