Tablets are a strange device. They are completely unnecessary as every function they serve can be adequately or even done better on another device. People tend to invent situations where they can be used instead of having a problem and buying a device to solve it. It's crazy.

Posted via CB10
    I got a tablet because on the go my phone, yes even my Z30, screen is too small for a lot of things I like to do. My laptop is too big to cart around. A tablet filled that want/need for me. Now if I'm at home if I'm just going to surf etc I still use my tablet over my laptop and phone.
    pantlesspenguin and JeepBB like this.
    08-10-14 08:41 AM
    TBH, I wasn't sure I'd like it myself at first.

My first WinPhone was bought solely because my 9800's keyboard finally broke and I needed a replacement. The keyboard had been unreliable for a while but I was holding out for a Z10 (the 9800 had convinced me full face was the "future"). I didn't want a 9900, at the time the self-bricking 9900 stories were everywhere! ... and then Thor announced the Z10 wouldn't arrive until Q1 of the following year... I'm not a fan of iOS or Android, So I bought a Lumia 900.

WP7 was a bit weak really in terms of features, and I planned to drop it when (finally) the Z10 arrived. I changed my mind when I realised how "unready" BB10.0 was - it made WP7 look feature-complete. WP8 had arrived by then, and was much improved over WP7, so I stayed on the WP road. I really like WinPhone's LiveTiles... and you can make them look like an app grid if you wanted to, a bit like they did with the Nokia X range of Android phones.

WP8.1, which I'm running on my 1520, is another big improvement. There's (finally) a notification centre, and the new keyboard with the "drag your finger around the keys" mode is simply awesome. It even makes sense of my near-random finger-dragging, and I can write an email at a blistering speed - faster by far than I could with a physical keyboard. I haven't used the voice-assistant yet, as I can't bring myself to talk at my phone in public, but I'm sure I will one day lol.

The AppStore isn't even close to Apple's and Android's, but my banking apps are there, as are the "must haves", so it's getting better and I can't recall not finding an app I wanted. I even saw my first TV ad recently that finished with the usual on-screen Apple & Android AppStore logos... But this time there was the Windows AppStore logo too... so, it's gaining traction... and I'm probably on WinPhone for the foreseeable future.

My banking apps are there, Geico, DC Circulator, My Fitness Pal, Instagram, BBM........EVERYTHING I use. I LOVE the live tiles, taking the place of a notification centre beautifully.
    08-10-14 10:04 AM
    Tablets are a strange device. They are completely unnecessary as every function they serve can be adequately or even done better on another device. People tend to invent situations where they can be used instead of having a problem and buying a device to solve it. It's crazy.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree. When I'm traveling all I want is a device that's got a large display, capable of +10hours battery life with heavy web browsing+social networking, reading newspapers and playing HD games such as GT Racing, Asphalt and Real Racing (yes, I'm a gear head ). A smartphone display is too small, even the Galaxy Note 4 that I will be getting next month with its 5.7inch display will be too small for something's I want to do, yet at the same time a laptop would be too large and far more power than I require, the tablet slots in nicely there. Tablet is also great for when I'm sitting at the couch after a long day at work or uni and I just want to play a game, Google something, purchase something online etc... When I want to do this on a larger screen than a smartphone.

I tend to agree about the lack of incentive for upgrading tablets.

I'm still on my trusty iPad1!

It still works for the principal use I make of it - surfing the web while on the couch - and I can't justify the ���'s that a new tablet would cost. Tech is expensive in the UK as importers generally use $1=�1 instead of the actual $1.5=�1 rate.

If tablets were sold on contract like phones (mostly?) are in the UK, I probably would upgrade my tablet regularly. I buy my phones on contract, that way I can get the latest and greatest tech for no-money down, and a small monthly fee. Two years later, I do it again. Buying a new tablet though, is a big chunk out of my monthly take-home.
    Exactly, that is yet another major factor, tablets aren't sold on contract in all countries, here in South Africa some tablets are on some networks e.g. The iPads, Galaxy Tabs, Xperia tabs and a few others are available with VodaCom (Vodafone-SA), this is very new as when I got my iPad they only had Samsung tablets on contracts at that time, so I got mine at full price from iStore (certified Apple retailer here). In most countries tablets have to be bought at full price, not everyone can afford to be splashing +$400 each year on a new tablet.

A phone and a laptop together can mostly do everything a tablet can do. However, I think for a lot of people a laptop is unnecessary. For a lot of average consumers, a phone and a tablet (without the laptop) might be a better combination of devices. Even some basic content creation can be done on a tablet with a keyboard case and Microsoft Office. The iPad version of Word is actually pretty good. I think tablets are starting to replace laptops for many people.
    +1

I know a lot of people who's laptops are now sitting in their drawers gathering dust as they have tablets, and the tablets fulfill their most of their computing needs on a daily basis. Most people don't seem to require all the power a laptop has.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    08-10-14 10:24 AM
    I've never understood tablets, I prefer a laptop by far, it has more capabilities and features, although, I do understand that they're more convenient in some cases.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) and kbz1960 like this.
    08-10-14 10:53 AM
    I've never understood tablets, I prefer a laptop by far, it has more capabilities and features, although, I do understand that they're more convenient in some cases.

Posted via CB10
    That's the point, when you don't need all those capability and features why carry a laptop?

Posted with my Q
    08-10-14 12:19 PM
    Everyone is confirming my point. Nobody NEEDS a tablet. They simply tolerate the short comings for the sake of convenience. It's a luxury item, nothing more.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 12:27 PM
    Everyone is confirming my point. Nobody NEEDS a tablet. They simply tolerate the short comings for the sake of convenience. It's a luxury item, nothing more.

Posted via CB10
    Completely agree. I must have a phone but I can do without a tablet.

However, I want one.

Sent from my beautiful Gold 64G iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    jakie55 and kbz1960 like this.
    08-10-14 12:43 PM
    I think he is half right. What will probably happen is tablet and smartphone converge. In that sense, tablet will be "dead" and the future is moving towards "phablet", a trend started by Samsung Galaxy Note devices. Right now, everyone seems to be still trying to find that "goldilock zone" of size and portability. BlackBerry thinks Passport with its 4.5 inch screen is the answer.
    Ahem, the plan let was started by Nokia:
    N900, 7700/7710 eons ago, only Samsung had the notice in uptick of sales, so their recognized as a trend.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    08-10-14 12:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    As I said earlier, nobody *needs* a TV bigger than 14" either... but, I don't know anyone who would willingly swap their 42+" widescreen TV for a 14" B&W portable.

Heck, let's just go back to basics, civilisation and technological advances are overrated. We should just sit in caves and bang rocks together.

A tablet is a desirable item than makes modern life "easier" - as many posters have remarked. That's all. It's not up there with air, water, and food as a necessity for life and I'm sure most here understand that.

Oh, and Thor was still wrong about tablets, as he was wrong about, well, everything!
    kbz1960 and RubberChicken76 like this.
    08-10-14 01:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    The functions of a tablet are easily duplicated by a smartphone or notebook, so yes no one really absolutely needs one. But the tablet is not just about what you do, but also how you do them. Most of this comes down to their form factor...larger and just as thin as most smartphones, yet smaller, lighter and less bulky than even the smallest ultrabooks. Their size provides a more relaxed and easier content consumption experience than on a phone - be it watching movies, browsing the web, or storing and reading books and work related documents. It provides a lighter weight content creation device for those that need computing ability on the go, but that may not necessarily need the full power (and increased bulk) of a notebook and physical keyboard. Must have? No. But nice and convenient to have if you make full use of it. Besides, a tablet is much easier to use in the bathroom than a notebook
    jakie55 and kbz1960 like this.
    08-10-14 01:20 PM
    Goes back really to my original point. People buy a tablet because they want one, and then create a reason for using it.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 02:51 PM
    E books it could be argued, solve a problem. They are light and store many books which is suitable for holidays and travelling. Tablets don't even fill that gap because the screen is bad for the eyes, is poor in sunlight, they are heavier, and the battery life is poor.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 02:56 PM
    You're right. I'm selling my tablet tomorrow. I was so stupid!
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-10-14 04:11 PM
    E books it could be argued, solve a problem. They are light and store many books which is suitable for holidays and travelling. Tablets don't even fill that gap because the screen is bad for the eyes, is poor in sunlight, they are heavier, and the battery life is poor.

Posted via CB10
    Not all tablets are bad in sunlight. And the screen is fine on mine.

Heavier, yes. The older ones like mine.

Battery life is OK. I charge maybe once a week? I use mine to browse the web and read forums in bed.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-10-14 05:25 PM
    Goes back really to my original point. People buy a tablet because they want one, and then create a reason for using it.

Posted via CB10
    Opposite for me. The tablet came along and I found I have plenty of uses for it.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-11-14 06:45 AM
    Tablets is a fancy thing for fancy people. Wasn't the iPad the real start of tablet spreading in the last decade?

I still can't shake the look of all those blond models on social networks snapping selfies with iPads.. Looked real ridiculous! it was like hey, I see that the elegant bitten Apple on my iPhone is not large enough so I brought a bigger slap that you definitely can see from now on.
    08-11-14 07:41 AM
    Tablets is a fancy thing for fancy people. Wasn't the iPad the real start of tablet spreading in the last decade?

I still can't shake the look of all those blond models on social networks snapping selfies with iPads.. Looked real ridiculous! it was like hey, I see that the elegant bitten Apple on my iPhone is not large enough so I brought a bigger slap that you definitely can see from now on.
    After all they are models ,one must forgive their faux pas. I'm sure they were compensated handsomely by Apple.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 08:27 AM
    Such anger towards complete strangers.

If they were using Playbooks they'd be celebrated.

Wait. isn't there a celebrity thread on CB for people who use Blackberry devices, some of whom are none other than Paris Hilton and the Kardashians??????

Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-11-14 at 11:13 AM.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    08-11-14 10:49 AM
    I like using tablets for reading PDFs but other than that, I have no use for it. I have an iPad.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    08-11-14 11:12 AM
    Such anger towards complete strangers.

If they were using Playbooks they'd be celebrated.

Wait. isn't there a celebrity thread on CB for people who use Blackberry devices, some of whom are none other than Paris Hilton and the Kardashians??????

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/12/2u4etape.jpg

Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    Hello Dear Nope, I would still consider it to be a faux pas. Actually I do also think that selfies are daft but that's just me.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy likes this.
    08-11-14 03:56 PM
    Hello Dear Nope, I would still consider it to be a faux pas. Actually I do also think that selfies are daft but that's just me.

Posted via CB10
    But I just saw your selfie with your little pony...

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 03:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    That was not a selfie it was a photo shoot! And no he is not a pony to me, he is a horsey! His name is Silver!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-11-14 04:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Now you're generalizing far too much as many tablets actually have incredible displays, allow adjustment of white point for reading comfortably, have incredible battery life and they can replace an eBook, plenty of people are doing that as we speak, not only that but many parents feel they need tablets to keep the kids entertained on trips as Tablets have very long battery life.

It's so easy to just conclude just because you don't see the need for tablets, when I got my 1st tablet I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it after having used my Aunt's iPad when they 1st arrived.

By the way, there's a lot of things we don't really NEED, most people don't NEED a smartphone, just a phone that can Call, SMS and get Emails, and there were plenty non smartphones that did this. You are trying too hard to push your point on others.
    08-11-14 04:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    But first let me take a selfie

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 07:19 PM
    That was not a selfie it was a photo shoot! And no he is not a pony to me, he is a horsey! His name is Silver!

Posted via CB10
    I'm worried you're starting to lose it.

Proud to use a BlackBerry Q10 exclusively!
    08-11-14 08:00 PM
156 ... 4567