This is my first Blackberry and while I have really enjoyed it, it is starting to drive me nuts. My two main gripes are no support of HTML email and the sub-par browsing. I can't get over the fact a device that makes its name on email can't render an HTML email. I don't get a lot of email, ~30 a day, but 90% of them are HTML. To make matters worse when I have to open them in a browser to read them I have to use the craptastic stock browser. If you could at least change that to the browser of your choice then it wouldn't be so bad.

I know with the Pre the build quality isn't as good, but the Tour hasn't been steller either. The other main minus is the even worse battery life and definitely sub-par keyboard.

As I have used my Tour more and more I find my usage being mostly web browsing and HTML emails which seems that the Pre would a better fit.

Thoughts, or other suggestions?
    09-11-09 08:10 PM
    BB has been able to render HTML emails ever since 4.5 OS came out. I don't have any problems with email on my Tour.

I had the Pre and I switched back to BB, but then again, I had already been using BB for a long time.

If you think you'll be using your phone a lot for browsing, then the Pre is nice.

I should note that I was never able to get my POP email account working on the Pre. I tried at least 10 times, even going through tech support. I've never had any email problems on any BB.
    09-11-09 10:11 PM
    my buddy at work got his Pre and I have had a hands on with it for a while. Here's my experiences:

First of all, as a WebOS, it is really awesome. The whole flick as you go thing is great. So are the cards for the apps, makes life real easy. And the integrated search is IMO second to none. It searches the device and internet at the same time.

Now for what I really didn't like. Primarily, the keyboard!

Ok, so the screen slides up to reveal the keyboard. Nice, but it doesn't go far enough! When you type fast and go for the top row your thumbs will hit the edge of the case and stop you dead. That is a deal breaker for me, I have to pause to adjust my fingers to type on the top row.

Battery life, it really doesn't compare to a BB. You do a lot of stuff on it and it heats up and dies pretty quick. Not a big deal if you charge all the time but a pain if you are on the road I imagine.

And finally, the apps. You can do a lot, but I think the Pre relies on 3rd party apps a little too much even for some basic functionality. Not everyone feels this way but I do.
    09-11-09 10:37 PM
    On most Blackberries when you get an HTML email you have to hit the BB button and select Get All Images. At least that's what I have to do.

BB.
    09-11-09 11:33 PM
    On most Blackberries when you get an HTML email you have to hit the BB button and select Get All Images. At least that's what I have to do.

BB.
    [SARCASM]Yep, me too. Time to get an iPhone.[/SARCASM]
    09-11-09 11:37 PM
    This is my first Blackberry and while I have really enjoyed it, it is starting to drive me nuts. My two main gripes are no support of HTML email and the sub-par browsing. I can't get over the fact a device that makes its name on email can't render an HTML email. I don't get a lot of email, ~30 a day, but 90% of them are HTML. To make matters worse when I have to open them in a browser to read them I have to use the craptastic stock browser. If you could at least change that to the browser of your choice then it wouldn't be so bad.

I know with the Pre the build quality isn't as good, but the Tour hasn't been steller either. The other main minus is the even worse battery life and definitely sub-par keyboard.

As I have used my Tour more and more I find my usage being mostly web browsing and HTML emails which seems that the Pre would a better fit.

I know what you mean about the html email. It doesn't look as good as I have seen on other devices. The pictures are choppy and disorganized sometimes. I had a big problem with it at first. A lot of the emails come with links to view it in the browser like you had mentioned. This has been an effective alternative for me, but I still wish that I didn't have to view the emails that way. I personally think the browser is fine for my needs, but will agree that it doesn't compare to the browser of the Pre. The Pre is a great device. I have handled it quite a few times myself and really liked it. The keyboard is like anything else. If you use it enough, you will get used to it. Its a solid phone and I would say go for it. Make sure you come back to the forums and give us your opinion about it. I will be curious to know your thoughts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 03:20 AM

Also check out the HTC Hero. That is supposed to drop next month and it looks really awesome.

09-12-09 03:22 AM
    If you are looking for a great browser and rich HTML email, then I would go with the Pre, or if you can wait a little longer get the Hero.

09-12-09 03:36 AM
    get a motorola razr
    09-12-09 04:33 AM
    [SARCASM]Yep, me too. Time to get an iPhone.[/SARCASM]
    I know... my pearl too... shucks, gotta switch
    09-12-09 06:15 AM
    Just do it..get the pre and when you decide it sucks as well, we'll take ya back lol!
    09-12-09 06:18 AM
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. I didn't know about the Get Images so that makes quite a difference!

I am not interested in a Hero. All of the early reports are complaining of very sluggish performance. Sure that make be improved with the final firmware but a lot of folks are thinking Sense if just to much software for the hardware trying to run it. Plus its likely going to be to expensive. I can straight trade my Tour for a Pre with a Touchstone without to much difficulty.

Keep it coming still undecided at this point.
    09-12-09 07:34 AM
    The Tour is an excellent phone regardless of the complaining. I'd strongly suggest you try the Pre and keep it clean so you can return it. Its fun to switch phones but the Pre a ot of downfalls.

09-12-09 07:47 AM
    Wait for the Pixi
    09-12-09 07:54 AM
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. I didn't know about the Get Images so that makes quite a difference!

I am not interested in a Hero. All of the early reports are complaining of very sluggish performance. Sure that make be improved with the final firmware but a lot of folks are thinking Sense if just to much software for the hardware trying to run it. Plus its likely going to be to expensive. I can straight trade my Tour for a Pre with a Touchstone without to much difficulty.

Keep it coming still undecided at this point.
    You definitely wasn't checking up on the Hero, as a firmware corrected that a month ago. Sluggish performance is no more. As for price. it's $279.99 with a 100 mail in rebate, so that's $179.99. When I played with the European version, it was a dilemma for me just to put it down. If you still want to go for the Pre, then by all means, but please do some research first.
    09-12-09 07:56 AM
    No, I haven't been following the Hero that closely. I figured the performance would be improved and it has, no surprise. I wasn't down talking it at all, I hope I didn't come off that way. WebOS interest me a lot more than Android. The other thing is Sense reminds me way to much of TFL3D. I just came from a Diamond and don't want the same look on the OS that I just had, I want something different. Yes, I know the OS is completely different but the look is just to similar.

If I change phones I will likely be trading as I just used my upgrade on the Tour. That in and of itself pretty much eliminates the Hero anyways.
    09-12-09 10:09 AM
    Well if you didn't know about a simple thing like "get images" I don't think you quite know what the capabilities of the device are.
    I don't know because I am a curve owner but trust me there is usually a work around for every shortcoming of the device. Its called the wonders of apps.

They make the berry world go round

09-12-09 11:09 AM
    if you buy the hero when it goes to best buy...you'd get 20$ back...its going to be 179.99...I had the pre for exactly 8 hours, I couldn't handle it, the keyboard drove me crazy and I felt like it would break at any moment, I was always checking the "oreo" affect, it drove me mad. the worst part is that none of the alerts can be customized right now, they are what they are and that is barely audible. I missed about 20 texts and emails b/c the set alerts were so bad and even at the loudest volume I couldn't hear it. I use my phone mostly for web browsing and email and I switched to the tour and haven't looked back.
    09-12-09 11:10 AM
    Well if you didn't know about a simple thing like "get images" I don't think you quite know what the capabilities of the device are.
    I don't know because I am a curve owner but trust me there is usually a work around for every shortcoming of the device. Its called the wonders of apps.

They make the berry world go round

I agree, I am by no means a BB expert. That was one of the main reasons of posting this thread. To get ideas of alternatives to my issues other than switching phones.
    09-12-09 03:10 PM
    I had the Pre for about 2 weeks and had to take it back. It just didn't cut it. Keyboard was unusable for me and the build quality was the worst I have ever experienced in a phone. WebOS is interesting and has a lot of potential. Battery life easily goes to the Tour as well. Web browsing on the Pre was excellent, but that's about it.

09-12-09 03:49 PM

If you are using it for multimedia purposes then the Pre would be a great fit for you. The browser is outstand and snappy.

It sounds like you are already aware of the common complaints with the Pre. (build quality, keyboard and battery)
    09-12-09 06:33 PM
    im with you on switching ive been mulling it over for a bit now but i feel the next blackberries will make me stick around plus i wouldnt be able to give up bbm
    09-12-09 06:50 PM
    Another point to ponder is this: RIM in consistently upgrading their software to meet today's demands. That said, the acquisition of Torch Mobile will be the cornerstone of the new browser to be installed in coming OS's. It will be fun to watch the web browsing experience on the BB evolve in the coming weeks.
    09-12-09 07:00 PM
    The Pre is junk. And I'm not a RIM fanboy at all.. I actually like Apple and the iPhone over RIM or any BB.

With that said, the Pre's small keyboard & cheap keys = massive fail.

Not to mention Sprint is losing more and more subscribers every month.. hence their new fire-sale with the cheapest unlimited plan out there. And they are more like the Not Now Network, because you never have good coverage when you need it. (Once again I'm not being homer, I tried Sprint and had worse coverage than with AT&T..)

In conclusion.. stay with a BlackBerry.
    09-12-09 07:07 PM
    I'm staying with Sprint, that's not an issue. In my area the only 3G options are Sprint and Verizon. At Sprint pay $110 and for comparible Verizon service its $190, for $80 a month I'll deal with the shortcomings.

The acquisition of Torch is definitely a coup for BB. The downside is that it will be next summer before they get it out.
    09-12-09 08:06 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD