Am considering returning to Blackberry out of curiosity if things have changed. Initially I'm thinking of keeping it as a secondary phone, and slowly go back to it as a primary phone if things go well.

Can anyone please let me know what model I should buy? There's quite a lot out there at the moment, but here are the things I need:

1. Dual core processor at least 1.2 GHZ
    2. 1080 HD Video Recording and Playback
    3. Compatibility with Kindle app
    4. Front facing camera, because I use Skype on the road quite often
    5. 8MP Cam

I know Blackberries are reliable for push e-mail, and the recent world wide outage was one in a million. But the above specs are quite necessary for me and my business.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    11-18-11 05:16 AM
    Am considering returning to Blackberry out of curiosity if things have changed. Initially I'm thinking of keeping it as a secondary phone, and slowly go back to it as a primary phone if things go well.

Can anyone please let me know what model I should buy? There's quite a lot out there at the moment, but here are the things I need:

1. Dual core processor at least 1.2 GHZ
    2. 1080 HD Video Recording and Playback
    3. Compatibility with Kindle app
    4. Front facing camera, because I use Skype on the road quite often
    5. 8MP Cam

I know Blackberries are reliable for push e-mail, and the recent world wide outage was one in a million. But the above specs are quite necessary for me and my business.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    currently none of the blackberries on the market will meet your specs. There are no dual core or FFC BBs on the market. The next generation blackberries should meet your needs though but we do not know how long until they will be released
    11-18-11 05:18 AM
    I don't know I'm much about Androids, but perhaps you should look into one of those.

The iPhone 4S has a front facing camera, Skype, FaceTime, 8MP camera and a dual core processor. It's a great device.

If you're looking to stick with BlackBerry, your best bet is to wait on the BBX phone sometime next year, but not sure if it will have all those stats you listed you desire. Currently, Skype is only available on Verizon BlackBerry devices.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!
    11-18-11 05:21 AM
    You've pretty much listed the features that no blackberry has at the moment lol
    From the rumoured specs the new bbx model will be pretty close on most of the list so you'll have to wait if you fancy a blackberry and those features are essential.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-11 05:22 AM
    Thanks for the replies everyone, they were very helpful. I appreciate it.

Do we have any assurances that the BBX phones you mentioned will have the specs and features I mentioned? Also, what is BBX or what does that stand for?
    11-18-11 05:27 AM
    BB is in the middle of transition between their OS. they are moving to a new QNX platform that will be named BBX. There are no certainties about what hardware or software features will be on the BBX phones but its assumed that the list above that you wrote will be included with them
    11-18-11 05:35 AM
    I see. Hopefully the BBX phones will have the specs or by the time they're released, even have specs to outtake the competition.

Does the Playbook meet any of the specs I mentioned though? I also read that Angry Birds was going to be released for the Playbook too, is that also available already? If so I might consider it.
    11-18-11 05:38 AM
    I don't know I'm much about Androids, but perhaps you should look into one of those.

The iPhone 4S has a front facing camera, Skype, FaceTime, 8MP camera and a dual core processor. It's a great device.

If you're looking to stick with BlackBerry, your best bet is to wait on the BBX phone sometime next year, but not sure if it will have all those stats you listed you desire. Currently, Skype is only available on Verizon BlackBerry devices.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!
    Thank you so much for this reply, it was quite helpful.

Unfortunately Verizon is not an option for me.

It seems though that you mentioned that iPhone 4S meets almost all the requirements except Kindle. I've been reading a lot though about battery issues, have they been resolved?
    11-18-11 05:39 AM
    Based on what I've read, you will be very very disappointed if you buy either a blackberry or a playbook.

11-18-11 06:28 AM
    Skype has said it has no plans to develop for the playbook (and I'm assuming bbx as well since they run the same thing) and currently there is no stable workaround

11-18-11 06:29 AM
    Just get an iPhone. It does all you want. It is available on most of the US networks (don't know where you live).

BB is struggling now. Efforts are being made to launch BBX Blackberry phones. They will likely be delayed if RIM continues their past behavior. These are slated to go on sale in about a year.

The company is struggling with apps and support. The PB launched with a lot of problems and promises were not delivered upon, as many now wait for OS 2.0. Some people think BBX will be a failure like Playbook because it will run QNX, too, so it may have bugs and also may alienate current BB loyalists. The current line of Playbooks have been in discount mode shortly after launch because the $499 initial starting price was too high for a half done tablet. The discounts continue, too, as these tablets still struggle to be sold at $199. They are in an unenviable place.

Even once super loyal people like myself have had enough and are leaping from the ship. My iPad is bulletproof and my PB was returned after hours and hours of support/assistance. If BB does succeed with QNX on a BB phone, it might be wise to give it a year or so to let it mature a bit (app development, etc). So best bet is to look at BB again in two years from now (if they survive that long).

I am curious as to why you are adamant on going with RIM products? They are great for people who like email, calendar organization, and out of the box simplicity and don't expect much from their phone (skype, great camera, apps, HDMI out, all the things you named, etc).
    11-18-11 07:04 AM
    Thank you so much for your insights, I really appreciate it. Seems like the iPhone is capable of everything I need, based on the recommendations.

Well to answer your question, I view Blackberry as a novelty at the moment since they are the underdog and I always try to give the underdog a try. Given the recommendations though, it seems that now is not the right time to go back. I enjoyed BBM for a while, but I think iMessage is gaining popularity as well.

Why do you think two years is a good timeframe to wait? Do you think it will take RIM that long to cope with competition?
    11-18-11 07:32 AM
    If you do want the security and e-mail reliability but also some of the specs you state, I would say you should consider the BBX BlackBerry next year.

You will get all the security and BB goodies but also more content and a 1.5Ghz processor it seems. Video Chat, etc.

Unfortunately the iPhone still has battery problems with some units and this matters since you can't swap batteries.
    iOS 5 Battery Problems: Update Does Not Fix Power Drain For Many iPhone Owners

Also, there is the issue of security.
    Even Apple's Phones Are Getting Hacked - Yahoo! News
    Apple Security Breach Gives Complete Access to Your iPhone

Bottom line, if you must have a video chat phone but want the BB security and e-mail then wait for the BBX device.

I love my Bold 9930 and would get nothing else but your needs are specific. If you must have a phone with those capabilities right now, then consider a droid phone. The iPhone does not have a 1.2Ghz processor or better.

The only two issues with the droids is that their batteries get drained from the huge screens and data suck but at least you can swap batteries and you can also shut down functionality to conserve battery.
    The problem about security can be mittigated by just being prudent about what you download. Most people don't really need BlackBerry encryption security.
    Android Threats Surge With Infected Third-Party

Bottom line, if you want all of the above wait for the BBX phone, if you want the phone right now, with those specs then consider a droid. If you travel, just make sure it is a world phone. All OS7 BlackBerry's are.
    11-18-11 08:01 AM
    I, too, like to root for the underdog.

I feel I gave RIM long enough to respond to the marketplace, but they continue to disappoint. I looked at the 9900 and felt it was way underpowered. The camera was still 5MP but they took autofocus away and only 720P recording, while everyone else is releasing much better. The phone still doesn't have a front facing camera and still can't HDMI out. BB Maps is embarassing as a GPS solution. Also, they still haven't fixed battery pulls...why do I still have to reset the device? I have been using BB for years and this is annoying.

Many of my business colleagues and friends now use iPhone, so iMessage is great. It also works with any other iOS device like iPod touch and iPad.

I say two years because it has been about 6 months or so and they still are trying to get OS 2.0 out. The devices that are released next year will be first efforts (like the Playbook) and I don't believe will be polished. For everything to simmer down, it will likely take a year, so I say 2013 is the year I MAY consider getting a BB again.

However, I just bought two unlocked iPhones and spent $2k on them with Apple Care, so will try to get my $ out of them and will likely be with Apple for a while.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    11-18-11 08:11 AM
    Keep in mind, the battery issues on the iPhone4S are not affecting everyone. I don't have an issue with mine, it'll easily last a full day. I don't think it's unrealistic to charge your phone once a day with all the great features that it comes with.

As phones continue to become slimmer in design and more features and specs are added, battery life is going to be an "issue" on almost every platform. Even some people are complaining about the BB 9900 battery, let's not forget. No device is without it's faults.
    11-18-11 08:52 AM
    Let's get something perfectly clear on the cameras in ANY of these phones. The lens is a little pinhole. ANY sensor over 1 megapixel is a complete waste with the tiny lens it is attached to. All/Any of these phones do is waste bandwidth sending the crappy photos they take. It's kinda like "I have an 800 watt stereo...Oh but it's a class D amplifier." The megapixels on these phones are just a marketing tool no more no less. (I am NOT talking about focus) Let the discussion begin!
    guerllamo7 and kbz1960 like this.
    11-18-11 09:01 AM

Bottom line, if you want all of the above wait for the BBX phone, if you want the phone right now, with those specs then consider a droid. If you travel, just make sure it is a world phone. All OS7 BlackBerry's are.
    this is very useful information. all the security is added plus for me, but i don't really deal with sensitive financial information so the tight encryption is not a very big imperative for me.

i am quite interested with the BBX devices that seem to come up often in the topics here. does Blackberry have a timeline planned for releasing them? i understand now that the current phones are a transition phase, so i hope the BBX phones mentioned will have the specs i need.

why is skype not supporting blackberry though?
    11-18-11 09:24 AM
    Keep in mind, the battery issues on the iPhone4S are not affecting everyone. I don't have an issue with mine, it'll easily last a full day. I don't think it's unrealistic to charge your phone once a day with all the great features that it comes with.

As phones continue to become slimmer in design and more features and specs are added, battery life is going to be an "issue" on almost every platform. Even some people are complaining about the BB 9900 battery, let's not forget. No device is without it's faults.
    again, thank you so much for the response.

is iMessage fully featured like BBM? meaning does it tell you if your friend has read your message? are you also able to post your status message and let you send media files?

also, is Kindle supported?

battery life is not an issue for me really as i run my business from home and i can always buy a car phone charger, no big deal really.
    11-18-11 09:27 AM
    again, thank you so much for the response.

is iMessage fully featured like BBM? meaning does it tell you if your friend has read your message? are you also able to post your status message and let you send media files?

also, is Kindle supported?

battery life is not an issue for me really as i run my business from home and i can always buy a car phone charger, no big deal really.
    iMessage is not a separate app from regular SMS messages. Your phone will automatically detect if the person you're sending your message to has an iPhone and will then send it as an iMessage. You'll "Delivered" under the message, but not if it's been read. You can see when the person is replying to your message. There is no status updates, as it's similar to sending a text message and it's not an additional application.

I believe Kindle app IS still supported, but I think the selection is limited OR you have to buy them perhaps from your PC and inport them to your iPhone. Not really sure since I don't use a Kindle or any eReader for that matter.
    11-18-11 09:39 AM
    Superanakin,
    I just thought of something. If you use skype on the road quite a bit now. What phone do you have?
    We had HTC Evo's at work and the 1Ghz processor sucked on video chat. Honestly, it only works on WIFI with some products.

Just curious.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-18-11 at 09:46 AM.
    11-18-11 09:44 AM
    iMessage is not a separate app from regular SMS messages. Your phone will automatically detect if the person you're sending your message to has an iPhone and will then send it as an iMessage. You'll "Delivered" under the message, but not if it's been read. You can see when the person is replying to your message. There is no status updates, as it's similar to sending a text message and it's not an additional application.

I believe Kindle app IS still supported, but I think the selection is limited OR you have to buy them perhaps from your PC and inport them to your iPhone. Not really sure since I don't use a Kindle or any eReader for that matter.
    seems like a very promising alternative! thanks!
    11-18-11 09:44 AM
    I concede this might be a illegitimate question and I apologize if I'm out to lunch.

However, this thread looks to me like it's meant to bait RIM fans into responding to a question that everyone knows the answer to. The specs are specifically meant to show up RIM's shortcomings and anyone who choose these specs is not so naive.

Folks, spend your time commenting on "real" posts and not on this total waste of time.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 11-18-11 at 02:09 PM.
    AZ87 likes this.
    11-18-11 10:13 AM
    Thanks for the replies everyone, they were very helpful. I appreciate it.

Do we have any assurances that the BBX phones you mentioned will have the specs and features I mentioned? Also, what is BBX or what does that stand for?
    Nothing has been announced from RIM, so no....there is no way of knowing if the features you are looking for are going to be there or not.

Just my opinion, but if you are waiting on BBX I would go ahead and get another device now. Latest rumors have the first BBX devices coming out at the end of Q3 2012. And if history is any indicator, RIM will miss that mark.
    11-18-11 10:16 AM
    Superanakin,
    I just thought of something. If you use skype on the road quite a bit now. What phone do you have?
    We had HTC Evo's at work and the 1Ghz processor sucked on video chat. Honestly, it only works on WIFI with some products.

Just curious.
    Thanks.
    hey there- i am currently using an HTC Droid Incredible (unlocked). it is currently running Froyo (don't really know how to root or how to upgrade to Gingerbread). video chat works great on skype.

however, i am not that satisfied with the overall fluidity of the OS being only 1GHZ. i believe the 9930 has a better processor but not yet dual core, and i also heard the camera is not yet 8MP. unfortunately i need the extra pixels.
    11-18-11 10:52 AM
    This person basically listed everything the BB phones don't have, funny, even the game Angry Birds....

A better game than Angry Birds is on playbook, it's called Assembler Mobile 2 - it could be called Angry Human. I bought Angry Birds (Mac) and didn't finish it because it's boring.

The playbook records HD videos, it is dual core, the UI is super swipe-easy, and it has a front facing camera Right now the pb doesn't Skype (it should in the near future) but there is a native video chat app for pb users (other person has pb as well) or I use AV by AOL - Let's video chat! and the other user only needs a browser (flash) - you can chat with anyone

You would probably be very happy with a new BB phone + playbook combo
    11-18-11 10:55 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD