10-18-11 07:03 PM
69 123
tools
    Here's a screenshot of the sound profile. Uncheck your phone volume for your notification and you can turn your notifications up or down.

Click to view quoted image
    Thanks. I just downloaded Quick Profiles by SoftXperience and it works!!! I can now turn off email alerts. This function did not work on Profiles by Egg N Stone.
    10-18-11 02:09 PM
    Just paid $200 to get out of new contract Droid incredible 2 so I could get back to blackberry. Got Torch 9860. Had tour until about 5 months ago when I got Droid. Couldn't be happier with new Torch. Hated the Droid. Spent hours and hours on line searching down apps that would do one thing but couldn't do the other. Final kicker was, I would get emailed movie files from freinds with iphones, They will not play on a Droid. I searched hi and lo. There is no app that will allow those to play. Was at a party and someone had a Droid and someone had an old bb. Asked someone with an iphone to send video to each. Guy with droid couldn't play it and guy with BB played it on first click. Had gotten feedback on trying to do certain things in outlook with the droid that it couldn't do saying things like "well the BB only did it because it's a Business phone and the droid is not..." It look a "business" phone like the BB out did a "phun phone" like the droid when it comes to something as simple as playing a video file.
    10-18-11 02:14 PM
    Just paid $200 to get out of new contract Droid incredible 2 so I could get back to blackberry. Got Torch 9860. Had tour until about 5 months ago when I got Droid. Couldn't be happier with new Torch. Hated the Droid. Spent hours and hours on line searching down apps that would do one thing but couldn't do the other. Final kicker was, I would get emailed movie files from freinds with iphones, They will not play on a Droid. I searched hi and lo. There is no app that will allow those to play. Was at a party and someone had a Droid and someone had an old bb. Asked someone with an iphone to send video to each. Guy with droid couldn't play it and guy with BB played it on first click. Had gotten feedback on trying to do certain things in outlook with the droid that it couldn't do saying things like "well the BB only did it because it's a Business phone and the droid is not..." It look a "business" phone like the BB out did a "phun phone" like the droid when it comes to something as simple as playing a video file.
    Searching on the Android Market Place for apps to do vasic functions like manage your ring profiles, drives me crazy!!! A big time waster sifting through the rubble.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 03:20 PM
    Yeah imo I wouldn't even bother sifting through the market directly. You basically have to find sites or users that recommend stuff, then just go find it specifically in the market and download it.

Most of the reviews are complete bunk and a lot of the search results are so hard to sift through (trying to find the Gmail app a lone is often a lot more sifting than it should be).
    10-18-11 03:25 PM
    Yeah imo I wouldn't even bother sifting through the market directly. You basically have to find sites or users that recommend stuff, then just go find it specifically in the market and download it.

Most of the reviews are complete bunk and a lot of the search results are so hard to sift through (trying to find the Gmail app a lone is often a lot more sifting than it should be).
    I just downloaded an app from Android Market and it had pop up ads secretly built into it. Every 20 minutes an advertisement would pop up on my screen. It also had its own message indicator to tell me I had 5 unread ads. Unbelieveable!!!

Last edited by E92Vancouver; 10-18-11 at 04:28 PM.
    10-18-11 03:30 PM
    I just downloaded an app from Android Market and it had pop ads secretly built into it. Every 20 minutes and advertisement would pop up on my screen. It also had its own message indicator ro tell me I had 5 unread ads. Unbelieveable!!!

Definitely an issue with such a highly open, highly used app store. I love the choices however. I guess I am rare in that I adapted well and found apps to do what I wanted quite easily. I also load only apps that are established and highly rated.

I find loading from market.android.com from my PC the best solution.

I think the new Droid Razr looks better than the new Nexus overall. I am happy with my Droid Incredible 2, but I may have to play with the 9860 soon to see how it does.
    10-18-11 04:16 PM
    Free app was it? Seriously, people always want something for nothing. Fing ingrates. Now go root your phone, install ad free & stop crying.

I just downloaded an app from Android Market and it had pop ads secretly built into it. Every 20 minutes and advertisement would pop up on my screen. It also had its own message indicator ro tell me I had 5 unread ads. Unbelieveable!!!

10-18-11 04:19 PM
    Free app was it? Seriously, people always want something for nothing. Fing ingrates. Now go root your phone, install ad free & stop crying.

I have a lot of free apps that have advertising bands that I don't mind. I even like the video ads that play after I use Screen Grabber on my Blackberry. But pop ads with their own message indicator is just plain rude and intrusive. And the ads pop up at all times, not just when using the app. BTW, i never used the app once because you needed to sign up for a username.

The other thing is that the pop up ad did not tell you which app it was associated with. I ended up deleting about 10 apps until I found the culprit.

Very underhanded and sneaky.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 10-18-11 at 04:38 PM.
    10-18-11 04:34 PM
    I just downloaded an app from Android Market and it had pop up ads secretly built into it. Every 20 minutes an advertisement would pop up on my screen. It also had its own message indicator to tell me I had 5 unread ads. Unbelieveable!!!
    The other thing is that the pop up ad did not tell you which app it was associated with. I ended up deleting about 10 apps until I found the culprit.Very underhanded and sneaky.
    Just out of curiousity..how many apps were you downloading at once? I mean..if an ad popped up every 20 minutes..and you had to delete 10 apps before you found the culprit..it seems like you downloaded a ton of apps.

Not trying to be a ****..but just because an app is free doesnt' mean it's worth downloading. If I download an app..and it isn't really something that appeals to me after all..then I uninstall it right away. You should (as a general practice) download something..play with it for a while, and make sure it's not janky. Sometimes apps just don't play nice..and it's alot easier to figure out the problem if you haven't installed a bunch of apps at once.
    10-18-11 04:59 PM
    , I would get emailed movie files from freinds with iphones, They will not play on a Droid. I searched hi and lo. There is no app that will allow those to play. Was at a party and someone had a Droid and someone had an old bb. Asked someone with an iphone to send video to each. Guy with droid couldn't play it and guy with BB played it on first click.
    I'd be very interested to test this out. I haven't come across a video file I can't play yet. If you still have a link to these files..please PM me and I'll give you my email..cuz I'm curious about this.
    10-18-11 05:03 PM
    I had those same issues with the iPhone 3G vs. my Blackberry 8800. Tough choice, but I'm glad I switched to iPhone. I changed back and got a 9630 --> 9650 --> 9700, but I'm starting to go through it again.
    10-18-11 05:30 PM
    I had those same issues with the iPhone 3G vs. my Blackberry 8800. Tough choice, but I'm glad I switched to iPhone. I changed back and got a 9630 --> 9650 --> 9700, but I'm starting to go through it again.
    An Android out of the box can't play wav files either. Our voicemail system at work, emails a wav file to the user. My blackberry plays them no problem. Android doesn't know what they are and can't play them. You need to by a wav app to play these files on an Android.
    10-18-11 06:08 PM
    Just out of curiousity..how many apps were you downloading at once? I mean..if an ad popped up every 20 minutes..and you had to delete 10 apps before you found the culprit..it seems like you downloaded a ton of apps.

Not trying to be a ****..but just because an app is free doesnt' mean it's worth downloading. If I download an app..and it isn't really something that appeals to me after all..then I uninstall it right away. You should (as a general practice) download something..play with it for a while, and make sure it's not janky. Sometimes apps just don't play nice..and it's alot easier to figure out the problem if you haven't installed a bunch of apps at once.
    Good advice! If I need an app, I download lots and try them out.
    10-18-11 06:10 PM
    I see you have ATT and Verizon, which implies you have two phone lines at least... Why not get Android on one carrier, and BB on the other? That way you have the best of both worlds. That's what I'm doing right now (with the Android being used VERY little as a phone.)

And get a Google Voice number if you want to sync the two phones to one number...
    10-18-11 06:13 PM
    I see you have ATT and Verizon, which implies you have two phone lines at least... Why not get Android on one carrier, and BB on the other? That way you have the best of both worlds. That's what I'm doing right now (with the Android being used VERY little as a phone.)

And get a Google Voice number if you want to sync the two phones to one number...
    I just swap SIM cards. I use 1 phone at a time.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 10-18-11 at 06:43 PM.
    10-18-11 06:32 PM
    I just swap SIM cards. I use 1 phone at a time.

I would do that too, however, I'm on Sprint and Verizon. If I was on ATT or TMobile, I'd swap SIMs on the regular. However, I'd have one line dedicated to just my BB and then have a second line with different phones I could swap SIMs with as I feel...
    10-18-11 06:34 PM
    I've been a BlackBerry user for 4 or so years now and love the important things about it, especially the new 9930 (which I got off contract for $100 through insurance). That being said, I am due for an upgrade in 10 days and have been eying the new Nexus phone with Ice Cream Sandwich. I bought a used Droid X back in February and loved it but ultimately went back to my 9650 because I missed the keyboard. I'm afraid that if I go back to Android I will have the same regret again.

I definitely loved everything about the Android OS but I missed the keyboard, ease of messaging, and the battery life of my BlackBerry.

This is one of those crossroads where I think I will regret and be happy about either decision. If I don't switch I will constantly be thinking about switching, but I'll also still love my BB. If I do switch, I know I'll love my Nexus, but I'll miss so much about the BB.

I hate these choices.....
    It's a phone dude! Make a decision and get on with your life.
    10-18-11 06:39 PM
    It's a phone dude! Make a decision and get on with your life.
    No!!!!!! Buy both. Used phones are cheap on Craigslist. Just like suits, pants and underwear, you should have more than one.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 10-18-11 at 06:43 PM.
    JR A likes this.
    10-18-11 06:41 PM
    Just like suits, pants and underwear, you should have more than one.
    Wait, wait...Really? I only have one pair of underwear.
    10-18-11 07:03 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD