its true, the only thing keeping a lot of people with blackberry is the physical keyboard. If someone is able to give up the physical keyboard, android cant be beat. I love my incredible S more than I have loved any phone in a long time.
    10-13-11 03:12 AM
    I've been tempted to move to Android from time to time, and I may yet do it. I've had BBs for about four years now, and before that I had the Tmo SideKick. The SideKick's keyboard was, in my opinion, far superior to the BB's, and I really felt that I took a large step backward moving to the BB. The SideKick, however, was at that point having serious service outages just about every week or so, and that was simply unacceptable.

Now that I'm used to the BB keyboard, I'm one of those people who find it hard to imagine doing much writing on a phone without it. The key factor, however, is auto-text, which I also had on the SideKick. Since I use auto-text as a personal shorthand, rather than for error correction, I'm able to type very fast on my BB. I had an Android phone for a while last year (after a series of failed replacements for my malfunctioning 9780), and I tried Swype, and the Android auto-text app (I forget the name of it). Neither worked as well for me as the BB keyboard plus auto-text. I admit, though, that in time I might have overcome that, so I don't rule out the possibility of eventually moving to all touch.

What tempts me now to move to Android is the app situation. It's not so much the number of available Android apps, although that's a consideration. It's the fact that many apps that do exist in both BB and Android are stripped down in the BB version. Since I'm a heavy Kindle user, the Kindle app is my prime example, but there are certainly others.

On the other hand, battery life has been an issue on every Android device I've tried, but it has never been an issue for any BB that I've owned. I don't mind charging a phone every night. I expect to do so with a smartphone. But I do mind running out of juice by 6 pm on a normal day, and the Android phones I've tried have a distressing tendency to do that. But some say that they're getting better, as the Android OS itself is improved and optimized. So we'll see.
    10-13-11 08:24 AM
    I've tried many iterations of Android, including the HTC Evo 4G the last one being the Galaxy SII. The GSII is a beautiful phone. Massive beautiful screen, FAST, access to thousands of useful applications, and yes, decent battery life. I've stayed with my BlackBerry for now because I still consider it a superior messaging device for me. As I primarily use my phone for messages, and email (and mobile web browsing), I still prefer the physical keyboard, and the BB messaging experience as a whole. I've also tried several physical keyboard Android devices, but these often seem like poorly designed add-ons. Android is definitely optimized for use on touchscreen devices.

Where I think we get into endless arguments is when platform advocates claim theirs' is the best platform. For some, messaging and email may be better on iOS or Android, but not for me. I've tried many virtual keyboards on touchscreen devices for extended periods, and I've still not been satisfied with any of them. I understand some people prefer touchscreen keyboards, and that's fine for them. I don't buy their "you'll get used to the touchscreen," because I haven't. What's funny is many of the contacts that I communicate with, professionally and personally, often mention this touchscreen "acclimatization." However, their messages are often awkwardly short, replete with typographical errors and "excusatory" signatures such as "Sent from my iPhone."
    bermont likes this.
    10-13-11 12:56 PM
    I have an Android phone and I like it, but with some caveats:

I have to use a fat extended battery because the stock battery doesn't last as long as I need. BBs have incredible battery life and incredible quick charge. Androids drain (albeit slowly) the battery even if the phone is on stand by.

The best keyboard I've used was an HTC keyboard on the Touchpro 2. HTC re-used the keyboard on other models, too. Better than BB, but the BB keyboard on the Curve has been my favorite out of the BBs. The Android I use is a Droid 2 Global and that keyboard is OK, but not the best.

Droid 2 Global has its lags as well, but the newer phones, like the Droid Bionic, are much zippier.

It sounds like you're going to miss the communication capabilities of a BB, so if you're not into the other things, you'll be fine where you are.
    10-13-11 04:19 PM
    Monday to Friday I use my 9900, weekends my SGS2. Best of both worlds.
    bermont likes this.
    10-13-11 05:21 PM
    I've been a BlackBerry user for 4 or so years now and love the important things about it, especially the new 9930 (which I got off contract for $100 through insurance). That being said, I am due for an upgrade in 10 days and have been eying the new Nexus phone with Ice Cream Sandwich. I bought a used Droid X back in February and loved it but ultimately went back to my 9650 because I missed the keyboard. I'm afraid that if I go back to Android I will have the same regret again.

I definitely loved everything about the Android OS but I missed the keyboard, ease of messaging, and the battery life of my BlackBerry.

This is one of those crossroads where I think I will regret and be happy about either decision. If I don't switch I will constantly be thinking about switching, but I'll also still love my BB. If I do switch, I know I'll love my Nexus, but I'll miss so much about the BB.

I hate these choices.....
    I have a Berry and an Android. I wouldn't be happy with just one of these phones. I also have an iphone but like this phone less and less everyday. The Android handles a Gmail account way better and has a larger screen than the iphone.

The OS on the iphone though is best in class in terms of GUI.

Get both and swap once in a while. That's what I do.
    10-13-11 06:14 PM
    I will cede that the Blackberry Curve has the best keyboard of any phone I know. However, the slight advantage the keyboard gives you does not even come close to bridging the gap where all its other deficiencies are concerned.

My birthday present to myself will be the Samsung Transform Ultra running Honeycomb 2.3 with a slider keyboard. Its 3.5 inch display, front facing camera, and 1GHZ cpu will give me an upper-middle range/lower high end Android experience for $50 a month unlimited on Boost with no contract. Sorry but,

Blackberry=Dark Ages
    10-13-11 06:37 PM
    i got the 9850 and tried and tried to get used to the virtual keyboard. needless to say i have a 9930 stay with the berry NO ONE HAS the blackberry keyboard layout. its the best and android is a virus waiting to happen
    10-13-11 06:47 PM
    I will cede that the Blackberry Curve has the best keyboard of any phone I know. However, the slight advantage the keyboard gives you does not even come close to bridging the gap where all its other deficiencies are concerned.

My birthday present to myself will be the Samsung Transform Ultra running Honeycomb 2.3 with a slider keyboard. Its 3.5 inch display, front facing camera, and 1GHZ cpu will give me an upper-middle range/lower high end Android experience for $50 a month unlimited on Boost with no contract. Sorry but,

Blackberry=Dark Ages
    I find the slider keyboards awkward in your hand. They feel weird. The tactile feel can't compare with the blackberry.

The Blackberry is lacking in certain areas but excels at others.

For instance, with my Blackberry, I can customize my ring profile so the phone rings but you can silence the email alerts. You can't do this with Android. And I have downloaded ring profile apps.

During the BB outage, I was using my Android and the email alerts when I am at a computer is annoying. Turn them off and you miss phone calls.
    10-13-11 07:53 PM

For instance, with my Blackberry, I can customize my ring profile so the phone rings but you can silence the email alerts. You can't do this with Android. And I have downloaded ring profile apps.

During the BB outage, I was using my Android and the email alerts when I am at a computer is annoying. Turn them off and you miss phone calls.
    Or you could just go into Settings > Sounds and disable notification sounds (or set them to vibrate). Your phone will still ring but notification sounds won't (you can also just turn the volume on notifications down so you can't hear them or are barely audible). Also, if you're running something like CM7..you have a bigger plethora of Profiles (much like BB) to set up.
    10-13-11 08:06 PM
    The best thing to do is stick with BlackBerry. That's what I'm doing.
    10-13-11 08:15 PM
    Or you could just go into Settings > Sounds and disable notification sounds (or set them to vibrate). Your phone will still ring but notification sounds won't (you can also just turn the volume on notifications down so you can't hear them or are barely audible). Also, if you're running something like CM7..you have a bigger plethora of Profiles (much like BB) to set up.
    Thanks, but I have tried that many times. The email alerts and phone ringing seem to be tied together. If I disbale notifications, the phone doesn't ring. I should make a Youtube video of this because it is absurd.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 08:15 PM
    Sounds to me like you need to stay where you are OP. I mean if you are already debating having doubts about switching! then more than likely will hate switching. Have to go in with an open mind as Android is a different beast and depending on the user is a good or bad situation.

Me I love my BB phones, but once you spend some good credible time customizing your Android to your liking, it is hard to beat.

I will say out of the box, BB's are ready to go and do work, Android takes time to customize to your liking which is a turn off for many.

I have an upgrade coming in February and depending on where QNX is, I may just rock another Android.

10-13-11 10:01 PM
    Thanks, but I have tried that many times. The email alerts and phone ringing seem to be tied together. If I disbale notifications, the phone doesn't ring. I should make a Youtube video of this because it is absurd.

Here's a screenshot of the sound profile. Uncheck your phone volume for your notification and you can turn your notifications up or down.

Chrisy likes this.
    10-14-11 08:29 AM
    its true, the only thing keeping a lot of people with blackberry is the physical keyboard. If someone is able to give up the physical keyboard, android cant be beat. I love my incredible S more than I have loved any phone in a long time.
    I also don't want to give up the ease of use of the OS. I know this OS inside and out and stuff is just really easy and quick to do on it. I have quicklauch set up, so most things can be accomplished with a click or two and every feature on the phone is quick to access. I also love how you can customize most things within the phone. I know people love to bash the BlackBerry OS, but it really is a very productive OS, especially with the faster processors in these new phones.

The problem I'm having with my 9930 is that the battery life doesn't seem to be that great of an advantage over Android anymore. M-F it doesn't matter because I have a charger at my desk all day, but on weekends I'm finding that I have to limit my use at certain times because of the battery life. I know Android has battery issues and thats one of the main things keeping me from committing to it, but my 9930 isn't much better imo.
    10-14-11 10:27 AM
    There's a wide range of Android phones that might fit you, I've used a Motorola Quench (Cliq XT), LG Shine Plus (Alley), LG Optimus One, Motorola Milestone (Droid), Motorola Charm, HTC Desire and the LG Shine Plus had the best keyboard I've ever seen but it's landscape which is a little funny to get used to after Blackberry portrait keyboards- the Motorola Charm had a nice portrait keyboard but it was a horrible phone overall, the HTC Status (or ChaChaCha) has a fairly nice keyboard too but the screen is way too small for the Android OS.

For full touchscreen the latest Samsung and HTC ones are great, the Samsung Galaxy S2 and HTC Sensation are probably at the top but the Nexus Prime is around the corner too.

For virtual keyboards, invest in SlideIT or Swype, I personally like SlideIT which has slightly more accurate prediction than Swype and has customizable skins which Swype doesn't have, but it's a little expensive- probably would be the most expensive app you'll buy on the Android Market. I also have Smart Keyboard Pro, which is worth every penny and I love some of the custom skins for it.
    Last edited by sookster54; 10-14-11 at 10:57 AM.
    10-14-11 10:52 AM
    To the OP, Sounds like you are already convinced to stay, which sounds like the best option for you. The 9930 is a great device for sure.

For everyone posting that the BB keyboard is the only decent one, we have switched several people to the Moto Droid Pro and no one I know of has complained. The BB keyboard is great, but there are others. I do think it is a matter of adapting. The same goes for a virtual keyboard. I love my Droid with Swiftkey. No matter what you say, I am as fast as people on BB keyboards. I am pretty darn fast.

Droids are tricky to choose and in general take more work to optimize than a BB. Battery life varies big time. My Droid Incredible 2 gives me 2 to 3 days of good use with a beautiful 4" screen and awesome hardware, including global capabilities. Many other Droids suck power like a tablet. The BB experience to me is more consistent, but I love the flexibility of Android. This is where iOS shines like the BB, consistency. It also combines part of the choices of Android. To each his or her own.
    10-15-11 08:40 AM
    I think you should get the Nexus. I'd argue that Android has a better notification system than blackberry. You can surf the web and read incoming messages at the top. If it's important? Swipe down and respond. The home screen on Android is the best out of all the major platforms.. IMO. "Click and flick" to find apps is a complete luxury. You will NEVER get a better keyboard than that of a Blackberry. This is where compromise comes into play. Google is adding features on a daily basis. Google maps just went 3d. Google voice supports MMS now. Google wallet is expanding. Google+. Gtalk has video chat now. The ONLY reasons to pick the 9930 over the Nexus.. 1. You don't use Gmail. 2. You prefer a physical keyboard. 3. Security is a priority. Tuesday they reveal ICS. Google sounds pretty confident it will change the mobile industry. We shall see.
    Last edited by West Coast Flavor; 10-15-11 at 10:19 AM.
    10-15-11 10:17 AM
    I absolutely love phones, so I'm always looking around. However, since I bought my Curve back in '07 or '08, I've always had BBerries.
    Through a happy set of events, I've now got my 9810, I've got my niece's 3GS and I got my Atrix back from her after she bought her iP4S. So I'm playing with all of them! What I find is that I keep returning to the 9810 when I have to do something quickly. Whether it's the keyboard, the OS or the familiarity of the device, who knows.

My suggestion is to take the time to try whatever is tempting you. If it doesn't work return it.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-15-11 at 09:29 PM.
    10-15-11 12:09 PM
    The best is to stay with Blackberry and enjoy the best!
    10-15-11 07:29 PM
    I have to say, I am very impressed with this thread. Definitely the most civil discussion about this I've ever seen here.
    10-15-11 08:41 PM
    I have to say, I am very impressed with this thread. Definitely the most civil discussion about this I've ever seen here.
    agreed... why cant we all be friends..lol
    10-16-11 07:41 AM
    I think I'm gonna stick with my 9930 for now. I was hopeing to get a little taste of the QNX phone today, but so far there's no mention of it....
    10-18-11 12:40 PM
    The new nexus prime does look sick. With ice cream sandwich, if they have comparable battery life they'll knock it out of the park
    10-18-11 12:46 PM
    Andriod is better than any other operating system because the it is very speedy while operating so it is one of the best feature of it.
    10-18-11 02:04 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD