Hello folks. It's been quite a while away from Blackberry for me (first and last device was a Storm 9530 from 2008). It was definitely a love/hate relationship for me. Either way I like to keep up with tech news (especially mobile) and have been keeping myself in the loop with Blackberry news and Crackberry from time to time. Anyway, doing without anymore fluff, the Classic and Passport have caught my eye and I have a question for the good folks here on the forum.

Has Blackberry 10 (at the very least in its latest version) eliminated the dreaded memory leak of yesteryear? Essentially, what I am asking is are battery pulls a thing of the past in the world of Blackberry?

Having had an iPhone since 2011 the term memory leak almost entirely left my vocabulary and memory altogether.

Also two side questions I have are:

Is the Passport Blackberry's "phablet"?

Does the legendary Howarmat still exist on these forums?
    Nayalm likes this.
    07-08-14 12:00 PM
    Hello folks. It's been quite a while away from Blackberry for me (first and last device was a Storm 9530 from 2008). It was definitely a love/hate relationship for me. Either way I like to keep up with tech news (especially mobile) and have been keeping myself in the loop with Blackberry news and Crackberry from time to time. Anyway, doing without anymore fluff, the Classic and Passport have caught my eye and I have a question for the good folks here on the forum.

Has Blackberry 10 (at the very least in its latest version) eliminated the dreaded memory leak of yesteryear? Essentially, what I am asking is are battery pulls a thing of the past in the world of Blackberry?

Having had an iPhone since 2011 the term memory leak almost entirely left my vocabulary and memory altogether.
    The only time I ever have to do a battery pull is if it completely locks up, which has happened maybe 2-3 times since I got my z10 a year and a half ago.

Memory leaks are only present on the leaked version of 10.3 (ie, people shouldn't be loading it anyways). I've never had a memory leak on an official OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 12:03 PM
    You do not need to pull the battery anymore, you hold down the power button and you have option to restart or turn off..

Posted via CB10
    Mr.G_under likes this.
    07-08-14 12:04 PM
    I've never once had to do a battery pull on my Q5 or my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 12:04 PM
    You do not need to pull the battery anymore, you hold down the power button and you have option to restart or turn off..

Posted via CB10
    I've my z10 for 1 little over a year and had to do a hard reset (using the volume buttons) 4 times. Not because it froze but because it behaving funny. I think my wife had to reset her iphone 4s more than I did.
    However, I did experience once incident where my phone froze; The hard reset using the volume buttons didn't work for me and I had to do a battery pull.
    07-08-14 12:09 PM
    Battery pull? You mean something I do when I move SD card around?

Joke aside, yes, I did a battery pull a few times. But that was because leaks corrupted it and it wouldn't finish OTA update. Went clean install (back to 10.1 and let it update to 10.2.1) and no real issues. I restart every few weeks, but no pulls
    07-08-14 12:11 PM
    Compared to the rot that would happen on bbos, I've yet to experience anything like that on any of the three bb10 devices I've owned... Z10, Q10, or Z30.

There have been bugs I need to reboot for, but nothing like how bbos used to just self destruct over time.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 12:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like a more convenient way of doing things. But does that imply that memory leak still exists in the Blackberry universe?
    07-08-14 12:13 PM

There are no more memory leaks and I would never do a battery pull if I can avoid it on OS 10. It's bad for the handheld computer as much as it would be for the desktop computer in my opinion. Howermat is not only still around, he is a moderator now.
    07-08-14 12:14 PM
    I've my z10 for 1 little over a year and had to do a hard reset (using the volume buttons) 4 times. Not because it froze but because it behaving funny. I think my wife had to reset her iphone 4s more than I did.
    However, I did experience once incident where my phone froze; The hard reset using the volume buttons didn't work for me and I had to do a battery pull.
    I've owned two iPhones, a 4 and a 5s (current device). Never had to reset them once.
    07-08-14 12:14 PM
    Battery pull? You mean something I do when I move SD card around?
    I don't know how new you are to Blackberry or Crackberry, but a "battery pull" was a daily thing for those of us with Blackberry devices from 2012 and earlier for sure. Blackberry OS was notorious for memory leaks that would eat up memory rendering the device slow and not useable. Pulling the battery out reset the device freeing up the memory that had been swallowed up.

Also didn't help that Blackberry devices before Blackberry 10 had a sissy 250 or 528 MB of RAM. And that was even for their top of the line Bold models.
    07-08-14 12:18 PM
    Compared to the rot that would happen on bbos, I've yet to experience anything like that on any of the three bb10 devices I've owned... Z10, Q10, or Z30.

There have been bugs I need to reboot for, but nothing like how bbos used to just self destruct over time.

Posted via CB10
    "Rot" is an understatement if you are talking about 2012 and earlier Blackberry lol.
    07-08-14 12:22 PM
    the Q10 is my 7th blackberry phone, and there is no comparison possible.

BB10 is a new OS, made from scratch, based on QNX, not once I've had to pull the battery, other than for switching Sim card, and not once did the OS froze. I've had apps crashing but the OS never froze, ever...

This QNX based OS is nowhere near the old BBOS 7.
    gebco, sk8er_tor and RyanGermann like this.
    07-08-14 12:22 PM
    I've owned two iPhones, a 4 and a 5s (current device). Never had to reset them once.
    I've had to reset my iPhone before. So do my android devices. It's not uncommon to reboot on any OS after while.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-08-14 12:34 PM
    And no there are no memory leaks. Although a app could leak if that's the case the app will close itself the OS will be fine.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-08-14 12:35 PM
    I have never pulled my battery on my Z10 other than on a day of really hard use when I went to put in a fresh battery.

The only reason I reboot the phone (by holding down the power key) is because of a bug in Real Racing 3 but it is not a BB10 problem.
    07-08-14 12:44 PM
    The reason that BBOS suffered chronic memory leaks was due to the Java-based architecture. That was only destined to get worse, and that was one of the main drivers behind migrating to a new, 'nix-based platform.

BB10 isn't without its own issues, but it generally works MUCH smoother than BBOS did.
    kbz1960 and Shadowyugi like this.
    07-08-14 12:52 PM
    I've never once had to do a battery pull on my Q5 or my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Good one!
    Flatman and spikesolie like this.
    07-08-14 12:58 PM
    I have never had to do a battery pull on an official OS. Just the first leak of 10.3 where the camera would completely screw up.
    07-08-14 01:03 PM
    My iPhone 5 once.

My 4s and 5s never.

I remember you!

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 01:14 PM

Yes, the Legendary Howarmat is still around & still ardently promoting iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    Snap51 likes this.
    07-08-14 01:15 PM
    Very much usage dependent. It all depends on how the phone is used and what apps is running.
    07-08-14 01:22 PM

Battery pulls are a thing of the past, some people still do them now an then. However OS10 is nothing like the OS on the old devices. Also the Q5, Z30 and BlackBerry Passport have non-removable. The BlackBerry Passport is not a Phablet.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 01:23 PM
    BlackBerry OS version 10.3 will be awesome which includes better battery life performnce. The new BlackBerries will include OS 10.3. Therefore those issues are things of the past. I own a Z30 and i have no memory leaks.

From my ? phone
    07-08-14 01:33 PM
    my girlfriends 4s is constantly freezing and rebooting itself..

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 02:49 PM
81 123 ...