I currently own a Nokia 6300 and I want to buy a blackberry 9105 (when it gets released) for the following reasons
    *It's a blackberry
    *I think the os is very cool ( not a big fan over the top unnecessary battery hogging ui)
    *The 9105 is one of the very few smartphones with an alphanumeric keyboard

Now my questions are that i heard that they suffer from terrible memory leaks and that the build quality is not too good. I need a phone that can take a few knocks,my nokia could survive a nuclear blast,what about blackberries? I also heard that the blackberry app store is pretty empty and most of the apps are expensive.
    Is there anything else I should know about blackberries?
    Last edited by Romanrp; 04-27-10 at 04:21 PM.
    04-27-10 04:04 PM
    To some extent, the more technically complex a phone gets, the more fragile it becomes. One recurring problem for the BlackBerry in particular was the TrackBall, which was replaced by the TrackPad with less moving parts. Other than that, my phones survive most falls without any problems, other than the bezel that gets damaged. The battery and battery door are also easy to replace. Everything else can be a little tricky and can void the warranty, so I won't go into that.

The app store is lacking compared to iPhone or Android. The lack of apps also leads to higher prices overall, due to the absence of competition. It's one of two main weaknesses of the BlackBerry platform. The other is the browser that's a little slower and doesn't render as well as the iPhone or Android browsers. A new webkit-based browser is currently in the works and should be released around Q3 of this year.

As for memory leaks (I know I'm all over the place here), I don't have any issues with it, and I have very limited app space on my Storm. It's mostly caused by faulty apps.
    04-27-10 04:57 PM
    It's true. most people blame the memory leaks on the OS. When stable releases are put out those issues are normally dealt with. But 3rd party apps, those are a whole different ball game.
    04-27-10 05:03 PM
    Don't worry abouit memory leaks... That was an issue on older devices, such as my 8120, but not on the new ones.

The new Pearl 3G is the 9700 in candy-bar size! Really great choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 05:03 PM
    The app store is lacking compared to iPhone or Android. The lack of apps also leads to higher prices overall, due to the absence of competition. It's one of two main weaknesses of the BlackBerry platform.
    ISTM there is a different balance of apps. The BB apps have a stronger trend to business productivity and premium applications, with a lower proportion of trivial apps. The others (iPhone is most notorious and widely derided for this) tend to have more applications like iBeer which pad the numbers but are totally unproductive. If it's Beer I should be able to drink and enjoy it, but I'm not going to waste memory or pay money for a virtual beer which is really a demo app for the developer's ability to program fancy graphics.
    04-27-10 06:53 PM
    Thanks guys for the replies , I now have less worries about owning a blackberry.
    Is it true that you can get aps from 3rd party sites,not just the app store?
    04-28-10 10:52 AM
    Thanks guys for the replies , I now have less worries about owning a blackberry.
    Is it true that you can get aps from 3rd party sites,not just the app store?
    Yes, this is true. The Crackberry app store is a great source to pick up some apps that you can't necessarily find in the App World. That's one of the nice things about the BB, you can get apps from anywhere, you're not limited to only getting ones from the App World, which I think is a huge bonus.
    04-28-10 11:29 AM
    ISTM there is a different balance of apps. The BB apps have a stronger trend to business productivity and premium applications, with a lower proportion of trivial apps. The others (iPhone is most notorious and widely derided for this) tend to have more applications like iBeer which pad the numbers but are totally unproductive. If it's Beer I should be able to drink and enjoy it, but I'm not going to waste memory or pay money for a virtual beer which is really a demo app for the developer's ability to program fancy graphics.
    How can you be a moderator and be so wrong?
    04-28-10 11:42 AM
    How can you be a moderator and be so wrong?
    To quote the guy in a BlackBerry training course thingy I attended some months back "Where other app stores may have a bunch of apps that do one thing ok, BlackBerry will offer an app that will do that thing really well." BlackBerries are geared more towards the business end of the spectrum, so it makes sense that their app store carry a larger volume of business related applications. Not that they should stray away from the consumer app market, but it seems that the majority of people using BlackBerry's care less about a bunch of flashy games and stuff... I can't speak for everyone of course, but I know that I use mine primarily for it's strong messaging capability, so gaming isn't as important to me.

He's not necessarily wrong, if you compare the app selection between app stores, the BlackBerry app world does have far fewer games compared to other applications. Of course they have far fewer apps in general...

My buddy has an iPhone, and he has upwards of 5 beer pong apps on his phone... I haven't seen one in App World, nor do I really care to.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 04-28-10 at 12:01 PM.
    04-28-10 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD