I am on my second BlackBerry Tour 9630. The trackball stopped working on the first one and was replaced by Verizon because it was still under warranty. Yesterday the x/8 key fell out of my second Tour. I don't abuse my phone. I keep it in the case.

I went to the Verizon store this afternoon and they can do nothing, other than selling me a new phone, since it's no longer under warranty. They gave me the card for a phone repair store, and I went there. It would cost $85 to fix the phone. I could get a new phone for less than that.

I have never had a phone break--ever--which is why I do not purchase the insurance. I should not have to use insurance to fix a defective design anyway.

There is no way to contact the BlackBerry department of RIM by email. I tried to send an email RIM and I got a response saying they would not even accept the email.

If you are thinking about purchasing a BlackBerry, think twice.
    12-04-10 03:38 PM
    Sounds like bad luck. Thousands of users on this site alone are issue free, I'm thinking its a little passed the "think twice" part.
    Good luck with your next phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-10 03:46 PM
    I don't think your case is normal. Their quality control is a bit better than that. You just had bad luck.
    12-04-10 03:51 PM
    Right, because ONE persons bad experience is indicative of what everyone else
    should expect.

Sorry, don't think so.
    12-04-10 03:53 PM
    If it's a manufacturing or design defect, I'm not the one who should suffer the bad luck. I should be able to contact BlackBerry with these issues, and they make that impossible.
    12-04-10 03:56 PM
    And the Tour, especially the early devices, were known to have some trackball problems. Keyboards are known to lose a key sometimes, on a number of devices.

There are instructions online and videos on YouTube that would show you how to disassemble and replace the keyboard. The parts and tools are also available. You may not have had a device break before, but I've had a number of them that have, and I take very good care of my devices, also.

And I'm still on my original Tour.

12-04-10 03:58 PM
    BlackBerry

The BlackBerry Handheld, the BlackBerry Cradle, and any other RIM hardware accessories, excluding external batteries and SIM cards, which are provided to YOU concurrently and in conjunction with the BlackBerry Handheld specifically for use with YOUR particular model of BlackBerry Handheld (which together comprise the BlackBerry Hardware), will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is the shorter of (i) one (1) year from the date that the new BlackBerry Handheld was first purchased by YOU as an original end-user ("YOU") and (ii) the period ending upon YOUR breach of the BlackBerry End-User/Software License Agreement (the "License Agreement") entered into between YOU and Research In Motion Limited and/OR its affiliated group of companies' ("RIM") in connection with the BlackBerry Solution (the "Warranty Period"). This Limited Warranty is not transferable. During the Warranty Period, the BlackBerry Hardware, or one or more of the BlackBerry Hardware components, will be repaired or replaced at RIM's option, without charge to YOU for either parts or labor. If the BlackBerry Hardware (or component thereof) is repaired or replaced during the Warranty Period, the Warranty Period will expire, upon the later of the 91st day after repair or replacement or one year from the date of original purchase.
    Take this document from Research in Motion to your carrier if you are inside the 91 day warranty window on a replacement BlackBerry.

If it has been over 91 days, or your original 1 year warranty has expired, your carrier is off the hook.
    12-04-10 04:02 PM
    If it's a manufacturing or design defect, I'm not the one who should suffer the bad luck. I should be able to contact BlackBerry with these issues, and they make that impossible.
    You're right but to say that your experience is cause for EVERYONE to "think
    twice" is a tad over-dramatic don't you think.
    12-04-10 04:02 PM
    I am on my 3rd BB starting from a 8330, to a 9630, to 9650 and I never had to have any one of them replaced, or even repaired. As far as the warranty goes, it is for 1 year, and if replaced, that device carries its own 90 day warranty as mentioned before. Having TEC or TFO insurance extends the warranty to the end of the contract or as long as you pay for it, depending on who you talk to, meaning no deductible needed if its manufacturer defects, but having a phone nicked up can put it out of that warranty. If you are paying for just WPP insurance, then that is only insurance and no extended warranty at the cost of $2 less a month over TEC/TFO.

The issues you are having are not uncommon, but I can tell ya right now you won't have much better luck with any other device. There is no perfect device, and BB tends to be one of the more reliable of the bunch.

12-04-10 04:53 PM
    I am on my second BlackBerry Tour 9630. The trackball stopped working on the first one and was replaced by Verizon because it was still under warranty. Yesterday the x/8 key fell out of my second Tour. I don't abuse my phone. I keep it in the case.

I went to the Verizon store this afternoon and they can do nothing, other than selling me a new phone, since it's no longer under warranty. They gave me the card for a phone repair store, and I went there. It would cost $85 to fix the phone. I could get a new phone for less than that.

I have never had a phone break--ever--which is why I do not purchase the insurance. I should not have to use insurance to fix a defective design anyway.

There is no way to contact the BlackBerry department of RIM by email. I tried to send an email RIM and I got a response saying they would not even accept the email.

If you are thinking about purchasing a BlackBerry, think twice.
    That's really too bad. I've had my tour for over a year with no problems whatsoever. I use an Otterbox Defender because I'm a clutz and I buy insurance because I lose things. $5/month for insurance is worth it for peace of mind. There are always lemons with everything and I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

12-04-10 06:08 PM
    I wonder if your insurance would cover loss? Better check. I think mine only covers failure and destruction (subject to a deductible).

12-04-10 06:22 PM
    I think you are being a little over dramatic. (Like stated before) Just because you had problems with only 2 of your tours (second worst blackberry ever made) doesn't mean that is how ALL blackberries are. I know people who have had many htc devices, samsung devices, motorola and so on. All brands and phones have some that are lemons. It is how mass production seems to work. There is no perfect brand of phone that has had nothing ever happen to any of the phones they have produced. I have been thru many of each brand myself. Blackberries seem to hold up better than any other brand of phone I have had. And I have had a lot.
    12-04-10 06:30 PM
    I have had at LEAST 20 Berries and only one, an 8300 had an issue. That's a pretty good track record. I think you just have had a little bad luck.
    12-04-10 09:07 PM
    I'm on my 2nd Tour and verizon is sending me a 3rd as I type! Freezing/resetting issues. Thankfully its under warranty, but this is the 2nd replacement in 6 months! I'm in the same boat, but will never turn my back on Blackberry. I love it!

12-04-10 09:51 PM
    I feel bad for you, RIM makes solid devices, in my view. This one seems that Verizon sent you a bad refurbished one and you should then be able to call Verizon and explain it. If there hasn't been much time between when you received the replacement til now they should have no problem sending you another replacement at no cost. Just call them and explain, express your frustration nicely and see if that helps.

And, I have taken apart my BBs a whole lot in the past, you can do it quick and easy, but with a lot of concentration.

Sorry that you have to go through this, I think RIM does make quality products, although they are behind Androids now...

12-04-10 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD